(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#556 4 years ago

I'm on a grandfathered in Direct TV Now (I mean ATT TV Now, too many t's...) plan that has increased to $60 a month plus a $35 per month 100mbps internet plan. I would like to move to YouTube TV which has the Golf Channel (my ATT TV Now plan doesn't) for $50 a month but since it doesn't have the Hallmark Channel that's a deal breaker for the Mrs lol.

Just noticed that ATT has a 12 month offer for 1 gig fiber internet for $50 a month that is pretty tempting. My current ISP wants $45 a month for 200mbps, $55 for 500mbps, and $75 for 1 gig.

1 year later
#793 2 years ago

Cut the cord but now have what seems like way to many subscription services lol. Direct TV Stream for typical cable channels, Netflix (free with T-Mobile), Apple TV, Disney + with Hulu and ESPN Plus, HBO Max 4K, Peacock, Paramount Plus, Apple TV. Damn lol. A few of those were on promotional deals. Cancelled Peacock, HBO Max, and Apple TV is free for a year with buying an iPhone.

The worst thing about cutting the cord is local sports support, you are basically screwed without subscription services. For local NFL games you can pick those up through an antenna on Fox or CBS. However, for the PGA Tour, NHL, and NBA forget it. Many internet based TV services (Direct TV Stream, YouTube TV, Sling TV, etc) may not have local sports as those companies have to negotiate the rights to have them. I remember Direct TV Stream once had local sports, then a deal fell through with Fox Sports and the channel as removed without warning. Same thing recently happened with YouTube TV when all Disney related channels were removed (ABC, Disney, and ESPN). This type of issue can happen at anytime with internet based TV services.

In regards to sports the only two I really care about our the PGA Tour and NHL. With Disney+ there's a bundle where you also get ESPN+ and Hulu for $13.99 a month. With ESPN+ you can watch every NHL game and starting next year they will have an insane amount of PGA Tour coverage.

1 year later
#1299 11 months ago

Cut my parents satellite TV and internet bill from $250 a month to just over $100. They still want the option to watch live TV, local sports, and other cable channels (as do I) so I recommended YouTube TV which I use as well. Purchased a cable modem, router, and a number of Amazon Firesticks and Cubes. There's definitely an upfront cost but after a few months all of the gear will have paid for itself.

What's funny is talking to the internet provider (who is also a big cable provider) at sign up who clearly doesn't want you doing this. "What do you mean you don't want cable"? "We can offer you this promotion for internet and TV". "We have our official cable modem and router for you to use at a fee"...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PanzerFreak.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=PanzerFreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.