(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 52 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from taz:

Okay, here's some advice that sounds odd, but it worked for me. I was in a bar last year complaining about Spectrum's cost (Tampa, FL area) and new requirement to buy a box for each of my TVs which I had to pay for monthly, not just the main TV as was previously the case. A guy told me to stick a large paperclip into the cable connection on my TV to get just about as good reception as you can with one of the HD antennas. I didn't believe him, but researched online and sure enough, there are YouTube videos showing how to do it. I had already bought one of the HD antennas which I attached to my main TV. I have two guest rooms, so I used the paperclip idea on those TVs and it really worked. They bring in good HD signals for the regular local networks (ABC, NBC, Fox, CBS, CW, MeTV, some channels featuring westerns like Grit, GetTV, Comet, MorTV, PBS, and other stuff, which should be good enough for anyone spending a few nights in my guest room. I think this will work best if you live in a city. Pictures below. Also, after I cut cable I bought a Roku stick for my main TV and it's amazing. Using it I get all kinds of free programming. Nothing like ESPN or HBO of course, but still good stuff: Pluto, The Roku Channel, Crackle, Tubi, Filmrise, etc. Hundreds, if not thousands of things to choose from. Plus, I already had Amazon Prime for the free shipping, which incidentally adds hundreds more movies, which I had been paying for all along, but not using. If I want to watch a sporting event that I can't get on local networks, I take the opportunity to eat out at a nearby pub or visit a friend. It's a great new lifestyle and I have more time to play pinball, rather than watching network news, which was eating up my brain anyway.
[quoted image][quoted image]

The EE's out there with Master's degrees who specialized in RF are shaking their heads right now.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

I figure I've saved about $7200 since then ($150 a month for cable TV x 48 months)

Saving aboot $6.50 a day since we cut the cable. |Took videos dumping the cable boxes, remotes, DVR and modem in the drop box. What a feeling.

Bought a fire stick for one teevee, son has his own chromecast gizmo, bought a modem for $40 at Microcenter (was paying $10/month to rent one). Paying for internet and Hulu. "Parasiting" son's Netflix and Bezosvision so all good. Once enough of us cut the cable watch internet rates double. Then close neighbors will pair up on wifi to cut costs in half.

Like my wife pointed out, 20 years of current cable (we were paying $250/mo) basically is a decent car in 20 years.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Is there any simple solution for live tv besides local OTA?

Hulu.

4 months later
#381 4 years ago

Enjoying Hulu on Firestick. Some Amazon & Netflix that we parasite off of too.

Basically since the Detroit Tigers are doing so bad, not wasting time watching so my teevee time is maybe 3-4 hours a week. MsBally watches maybe double that.

Once this alternate to "old school" cable creeps up, to half of what we used to pay, we're canceling Hulu and just will tune in to over the air teevee as I'm basically over programming (Ever think aboot why it's called programming)?

Maybe I'll watch more if I go into assisted living some day.

7 months later
#487 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Do you guys stay up late at night? Are your kids all grown?

Yes and Yes. But other than the times when the kids were newborns, basically during the first month of their lives, I have always stayed up late.

At least you aren't telling us how to spend our money so to each their own.

1 year later
#617 3 years ago

You can Bank on Bally...

5 months later
#720 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

RF engineer here.

We are not worthy! You sir, are an expert in what I refer to as: "Black Magic".....

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MrBally.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=MrBally and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.