(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 57 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MRG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#140 5 years ago

https://www.sling.com/#offer-details-open

Scroll down to the device offers. Get the air tv pack. Its free with 3 months subscription. It combines OTA with SlingTV. Plus you can add a hard drive to record OTA. Not bad for $30 a month.

Also, you can call DTV and say loyalty dept to the robot. say you are going to cancel and get directv now for $40 a year. They should match that price.

2 weeks later
#204 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Can you OTA antenna users post what you have and your distance from a major city or tower?
I am about 50 miles from the city of chicago. There are other towers closer, but they dont have all the channels I want at just one tower.
Im looking at a multi directional outdoor antenna possibly. I figure I can use my satellite's existing coaxial and run it to my TV. The only issue is getting ethernet to my TV so I can do an hdromerun box.
Im looking at this in the room with the router to make it easy:
amazon.com link »
OR
This on the roof with existing coaxial:
amazon.com link »

I live in your area and I have an antenna like this on my roof. I get 90 channels.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/channel-master-compact-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/2926045.p?skuId=2926045

Buy them from a place where you can try them and if they don't work take them back. Fry's in Downers sells antenna too.

2 weeks later
#234 5 years ago

They just told me I HAVE to use their equipment, but they gave me a $10 lifetime credit.
I think theyre afraid to lose me because I said I was going to comcast when I canceled my directv....
Well see how this goes. Not holding my breath.

I live in your area and had to go through the same ordeal for my Mom. You should get the 25 speed for $40. $50 - $10 credit. She has a bundle with Directv and a land line.

9 months later
#457 4 years ago

I have an antenna on the roof 90 channels.
TIVO DVR for OTA recording= free service
Sling=$30
100 MB internet=$30
Netflix=$13

$73 per month

1 month later
#546 4 years ago

Getting warmer out...probably venture out on the roof and take the dish down finally. Plan to replace it with this. Any objections, tips or tricks? I plan to use the same coax and mast from the dish.
TV Antenna - RCA Outdoor Yagi Satellite HD Antenna with Over 70 Mile Range - Attic or Roof Mount TV Antenna, Long Range Digital OTA Antenna for Clear Reception, 4K 1080P amazon.com link »

That should work fine. You can use the same coax as the dish. They probably used RG-6. I have RG-6 Quad shield on mine because we have above ground power line in our neighborhood which can cause interference.

1 year later
#681 2 years ago

Put an attena on your roof or outside somewhere. TIVOS are on sale currently if you want to record.

4 months later
9 months later
#1065 1 year ago

Im in the Chicago area, OTA antenna and TIVO with DVR. No current subscriptions. I don't pay to watch TV. Don't care about sports TV. I can watch the Bears OTA for any game. I had Sling TV for a couple of years which was great with the DVR function but found out I really only watched maybe 3 news shows and they were just time passers. Basically, I was paying 11.50 per show per month to watch crap. I cancelled. Nothing against Sling. I also found out why keep a year subscription? You can get NETFLIX or whatever like once a year for a month and binge anything you wanted to see the past year. Why pay $18 a month to see one or two new shows or movies per month.

TIVO is still the best option for OTA DVR. I have an older TIVO Roamio with 4 tuners. The newer EDGE come with only 2 tuners but still good. They have your basic apps too. You can get all in for around $300 with lifetime service when they are on sale.
https://www.tivo.com/products/edge-antenna

3 months later
#1225 1 year ago

Godzilla movies today

3 months later
#1313 11 months ago

4K OTA is here and available is certain markets. ATSC 3.0 It will become the standard at some point.
https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/atsc-3-0-ota-broadcast-standard-4k-dolby-atmos/

I have an OTA set up with TIVO and a Roku. I like Sci-Fi. I have been watching the Freevee app. X-Files, Warehouse 13 and Fringe. I love me some Anna Torv. The picture quality is excellent, better than the original broadcasts. You will get used to watching what you find on the free tv apps. Remember, if you haven't seen an old show before, then its new to you.

#1319 11 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

That is already happening in some form (To help block IPTV?, DVR's might be an issue too).

The FCC says broadcast TV has to be free. However, it does not stipulate what TV shows need to be free. All the "good" stuff like prime time TV could just be shown on Paid Streaming apps like paramount and peacock. The major networks could just broadcast reruns of Cop Rock. The main networks will go where the money is. Most sports except football (so far), you need to pay to watch.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider MRG.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=MRG and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.