(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jamesays.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#983 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

I’m currently using a terrestrial antenna, Sling, Frndly, PrimeVideo, HBOMax and Roku. Roku is great plus it’s free! Frndly is about $9 a month. I’m still under $80 a month but could get it down to zero if I went strictly with Roku and PrimeVideo.

which internet carrier are you using ,It may be listed but Im not familiar with the name.

1 month later
#1051 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I know I sound like a cheerleader for Philo (sorry about that), but give it a try. AMC is on the list, along w/a bunch of the typical popular cable channels. Includes an online DVR.
https://help.philo.com/channel-lineup/
[quoted image]
Here's a review: https://michaelsaves.com/streaming/philo-review/

whats the actual monthly cost after taxes and fees ?

3 months later
#1144 1 year ago

I just got my ATT bill 203 per month,If I cancel and keep internet only it will be 75 but I get HBOmax included with internet because I made that deal awhile back.I cant put an antenna up.I want local channels and have 2 weeks to decide if I can do better as I already told them shut it off Feb 15th .I have to keep the fast internet 75 bucks. Any suggestions.I have been following this thread but still would appreciate any suggestions.

#1153 1 year ago
Quoted from luch:

the only "cutting the cord " option is OTA 100% free !

I cant install an antenna,I dont own the Building .So Im trying to cut my 200 plus bill down to under 130 ish internet included

#1158 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

There is validity to your point. However, in my case my ridiculous cable bill was up to about $260. Now it’s $50 with good high speed internet. So even with adding $70-80 for streamed channels I come out way ahead of where I was before.
However, it will be interesting to see where all of those goes in the future. The streaming market is changing at a rapid pace. The channel lineups on various services change around. The prices are jumping around, mostly upward. Different bundles come and go. The question is, will it all end up at the point where you are paying the same high price as the cable to get all the content you want?

ATT offered their streaming packages instead of cable,it came out to the same price or higher.They will probably just buy up the competitors and screw me again.

#1164 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I get about 65 channels with my $15 antenna from Lowes. I have it in a spare bedroom on ground level near a window.
Last week I picked up a $15 amplifier, sometimes i get a message at the beginning of shows that "picture quality may not be optimal due to low signal strength at time of recording". I thought digital pics were either "all there" or not, can the quality of the picture actually differ? It's not like you're moving an old fashioned antenna around trying to eliminate the snow or static from a picture -
I havent watched any newly taped shows yet to see if the message is still there.
[quoted image]

Do You just run a wire from your bedroom to front room TV ? 15 bucks I was looking at some that are 100 to 160

1 week later
#1181 1 year ago

Im shutting of the cable the day after the Superbowl.not taking any chances.I did grab a Fire stick and have a lot of options already,my internet comes with HBOmax and I have a Yearly amazon prime subscription so thats plenty.

#1185 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

If you look around in your Amazon, and see that Repo Games, and 1000 Way to Die are in there free with subscription, please let me know. I have been wanting my girlfriend to see those shows. Thanks!

it looks like both are available on prime

#1204 1 year ago

I cut the cord officially today.My son has an xbox for gaming and has had it going from the cable box to his TV.I think it was hooked up with an ethernet connection.He can still play with wifi but without a 2nd box in his room is there any other way to hook in the xbox.He seems to think the cable is faster.

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

MOCA adapters if the room has coax.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Adding to mcluvin's suggestion of MOCA, there is the 'internet over power line' option.
Don't know the ping time, but they mention gaming.
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

Thank You both

#1214 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Has your son checked the router to see if there's a gaming setting? Not sure exactly what that does, maybe lower latency or prioritizing bandwidth?

We will check that today,thanks

#1216 1 year ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I use these and they work great.
amazon.com link »

So do you need only 1 of these
ethernet to router and coaxial to gaming tv ?

#1220 1 year ago

I picked up this antenna because of the 5 star rating I get about 50 channels many in English and clear as a bell

B6902FFE-BA83-48D6-B4EE-1DF0BE6B1E4D (resized).jpegB6902FFE-BA83-48D6-B4EE-1DF0BE6B1E4D (resized).jpeg
#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Check Channel 2.3 in the bay area. It's "Movies!". They show a lot of good movies, always in their original aspect.
https://moviestvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/

yes,Im liking this channel

#1226 1 year ago

Is there a tv guide anywhere for antenna and or firestick ?

2 weeks later
#1238 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Just dropping in to say I love my HD Homerun. I’ve had one for a few years now but recently trying to cut costs so really using it more lately. Used with my antenna on the house along with Plex or a streaming device like FireTV I’m able to watch the antenna from all my TVs, iPads, and cell phones with just 1 antenna. Note - only 2 or 4 tuners simultaneously depending on the model. There’s even DVR options. I see others have mentioned HD Homerun too so I’ll leave it at that.
https://www.silicondust.com/

how much did it cost ?

#1240 1 year ago

Hi My Name is James and I have been Clean for 3 weeks and dont miss it .Between my antenna and a firestick ,amazon and hbo max Im good for now.Nfl season will be dealt with in August.

#1241 1 year ago

It’s $109 on Amazon. It basically puts all your antenna content on your home network so you can access it from any device. Pretty slick.</blockqu

if it works with an indoor antenna that may be something I would add.

1 month later
#1304 11 months ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

You don't need a monthly sub to sign up for ST. You save $100 if you do buy that's it.

so save 100 bucks but pay 72 bucks a month for the 100 channel youtube CORD ? damn I almost jumped on the ticket but saw the plus at the end.

#1305 11 months ago

Is the red zone portion worth anything ? looks like 40 snapperillion more.

#1306 11 months ago

First year of the ticket I paid 99 bucks and thought I was getting gouged .No more nickel cokes.

#1307 11 months ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1308 11 months ago
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
1 month later
#1344 10 months ago

I thought Bitcoin was over.

3 weeks later
#1351 9 months ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

You're mistaken.[quoted image]

1st time for everything,I may have confused it with the other thing where everyone took losses and the founder is going to court/jail.
The name escapes Me at this time.It does look like Bitcoin is Alive and Well.If Anyone is seeking Financial advice its best to ask Someone else.

#1355 9 months ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I called DirecTV (Satellite) today to ask about switching to DirecTV Stream
(since it is slightly cheaper, approx $90/mo (Stream) compared to $120/mo (SAT))
and basically without much prompting the Customer service rep
offered me a reduction discount of $45/mo, good for next 12 months;
to stay with the Satellite, for being a loyal customer.
I made sure that accepting the discount offer did not require any new contract commitment.
I may still switch to DirecTV stream service by the end of the year.
Main reason to stay with the Satellite is, you get the DVR recording ability
with actual in home hardware
(no cloud DVR) and one can keep recorded programs indefinitely,
whereas with DirecTV Stream service
the DVR is in the cloud and one can only keep programs for 9 months
and limited to 30 episodes of a particular series (show).
When/if I switch to Stream, I will utilize the Gemini tuning box interface
which is near identical to the Genie system that Satellite service uses.
That will make the wife happy, as she hates learning anything new when it comes to the TV.
And with Satellite, I can still stream DirecTV shows on my plan thru my Roku devices
just no access to my DVR recordings thru the stream service
(I have to watch DVR recording on the DVR box that's actually hooked up to its corresponding TV )
(I previously got rid of all my mini genies, to save on the extra $7/TV access fees).

If I had a nickel for evertime they told Me that and then a couple months later back to higher prices because something expired.Or who did You talk to We have No record of that deal.
I do hope it works out for You though.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Jamesays.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=Jamesays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.