(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 59 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#626 3 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think there's several things going on.
One issue is the library not being recognized. I had a NAS connected to the network for Plex storage, and that worked fine at first...but Plex seems to decide to no longer record to it eventually. And I haven't changed a darn thing on the NAS. The NAS has been rock solid on the network for years on end - Windows 10 sees it every time and I can xfer files w/o problems. I even have an old WD streamer that is really good to decoding all kinds of files formats and it sees the NAS and paths too. Even tho I set the path correctly in Plex...it will eventually not record to it. I've looked into adding a local USB drive, but read where the preferred method for performance is to use a NAS since it off loads the hard drive work to the NAS, freeing the Shield to only do transcoding, etc. I've tried a USB hard drive, but don't recall what the issue that was...I think Plex couldn't find it to even add it as a library. I think I tried both as USB storage and Shield storage. I should add my Shield is the cheaper one, w/o the large internal storage. I suspect if I had bought the better model, the storage issue wouldn't have been an problem.
Another issue is the one I mentioned in my post a few postings ago: Updates. Windows 10 usually reports it can't find the Plex sever after an Shield/Plex update. I think the Firesticks and Rokus couldn't see the server either, but it's been awhile. Over the years, it got so bad I shut off the 'automatically install updates' feature off on the Shield. But if the Plex was by slim chance working, I'd eventually want to upgrade things to in order for performance improvements or maybe bug fixes (thinking it would fix stability issues once and for all) since the versions I had were sometimes getting old. Or a software update added a useful feature that was lacking. Fingers crossed that this was finally the version that fixed issues...nope, I was a sucker for thinking that. Broke again.
Both of these issues usually requires me to completely reset the Shield as if it came out of the factory and do a fresh install I've even went to the Plex website to get the latest and greatest Shield install since the PlayStore can be lagging w/respect to versions at times.
I should add the Shield is only used for Plex, I don't add any other apps. I also uninstall or disable any irrelevant apps (i.e. Amazon Music, etc.) so it is bare bones.
In the end, I just want something reliable that simply does what it's suppose to do. Just record a show. No more, no less - but that hasn't happened yet. Hence, my interest in the Amazon Recast DVR. The more barebones, the better as long as the listings guide is good.
I've used Kodi, but I admit, it's a bit much to configure as a DVR. Plus I'm always a little leery of some of the repositories (virus, or a path into the network somehow). But boy, it is definitely powerful. Just not my cup of tea.
Almost forgot to mention - no issues with the HomeRun turner.
Didn't mean to derail the thread, just thought I would elaborate on my earlier post for djr, and share my experiences.

Interesting. I haven't had any issues like that for over a year with Plex and 3 months with Plex/Shield Pro. I do know you sometimes have to have Plex rescan the OTA stuff because late laat year, broadcasters changed frequencies in many markets. Plex sent emails about this - telling you to create a new DVR and delete the old one. Annoying but there was notice at keast.

I cut the cord in January and it's been great. Still not sure what I'm going to do about football, but I have DirecTV "paused" for 6 months so I'll figure it out later I guess.

#635 3 years ago

I have this antenna: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004QK7HI8/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_8D8V155DKP3PRS6AXZ6M

I am only about 20 miles from the stations but it works great, no amplifier needed. I literally have it tacked on the wall of our guest bedroom on the 2nd floor. There's coax that goes to the basement where I connect it to an HDHomeRun box, which let's me DVR to my Plex server (running on a Synology NAS). Works great!

I wrote an article about the prices process a couple of years ago: https://www.neowin.net/news/synology-plex-and-hdhomerun-how-to-cut-the-cord-forever/

20210318_163543 (resized).jpg20210318_163543 (resized).jpg
#644 3 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Why are you all still fighting with antennas? Locast is awesome and I use it all the time, so not sure why others aren't using it as well.

Locast streams over the Internet and therefore uses bandwidth. OTA recorded to a local NAS does not. Bonus points: My Plex server automatically deletes all the commercials for me.

1 week later
#647 3 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Locast.org has added Portland OR to their list of cities they can broadcast now via streaming.
Yea!!
Also looking for a way to record Locast program to DVR.

Looks like Sling now uses Locast for locals in Minnesota - received a notice when I logged in today. Be nice to have a backup in case my Plex server goes bad - not that I've had any issues yet, knock on wood.

#649 3 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Every solution I've explored is expensive on storage cost.

Define expensive.

You can get a cheap NAS and some hard drives - but yeah, depending on drive size and number of bays, you can spend from like $300 to... as much as you want.

5 months later
#689 2 years ago

I think I've shared this link before, but with an antenna, an HDHomeRun, and some sort of computer (I love Synology NAS devices, but QNAP is good too in this regard), you can have practically unlimited DVR space. Here's the article I wrote: https://www.neowin.net/news/synology-plex-and-hdhomerun-how-to-cut-the-cord-forever/

We've been using it exclusively since December and it's been going great.

#695 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I think they pretty much do every year. Though maybe not this year with the Covid supply chain issues. I'm really not sure of anything new they could introduce. If you can get an Ultra LT for less than $50, I'd do that before buying a stick type media player.

Might be overkill for many, but I love the Nvidia Shield Pro. Plays anything you throw at it.

1 month later
#746 2 years ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I don’t know how you been dealing with Directv but I hit the wall with these greedy mofo’s.Since 1997 Ive been able to talk to CR there and get discounts to a reasonable rate until yesterday.So I’m moving on afte 24 years

You can "freeze" your account for up to 6 months. I did that after football last year and signed up for a bunch of streaming services, including Sling. Realized I never really used Sling, instead just streaming from various services.

When football season started, I called them up and asked for Sunday Tickey for free. They did that. I asked for any other discounts, and they gave me $60/mo off, in addition to the $50/mo I already had ordered my account.. I'm currently paying $9/mo for DirecTV and Sunday Ticket. I'll pause it again after the Superbowl (Go Bills!) and try again next year.

I'm hopeful that the new DirecTV will be better now that AT&T is leaving but we will see.

#748 2 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

If one is retired and/or with low income, there is/was a $50 a month credit for Internet Service.
Not sure when the funds run out.
Mine dropped to under $20 a month, and then 6% back from CC.

Along the same lines, always call/online chat with your internet provider and ask for a lower price. I get 100mbps from Comcast for around $40/mo, just by asking.

#752 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’d like to drop cable but would like to have CNN somehow. Are there any really inexpensive options to get CNN other than cable?

SlingTV is $35/mo and includes CNN.

2 months later
#776 2 years ago
Quoted from jibmums:

What are the advantages of using Firestick/Roku versus just downloading apps from online directly to the TV?

Generally the TV isn't very powerful so the apps run slow. They typically aren't updated as much either fron what I've read. So a streaming device is definitely better. But you can try the TV ones first and maybe you will find it good enough.

You should look into an Nvidia Shield if you decide on a streaming device though. Costs a bit more but works so much better imho.

#803 2 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Yes, you can use brickseek to check in-store inventory and pricing.

Warning though - brickseek has been hit or miss with Lowes according to some threads I've read on Slickdeals recently.

#809 2 years ago
Quoted from DaMoib:

It was a hit for me today... saw mcluvin 's post about the GE Pro Yagi clearance at Lowes, checked brickseek - the price was $13.17 at my local Lowes and I went and grabbed one.

Awesome! To clarify, when I said hit or miss, I meant the website sometimes says a product doesn't exist in a store or is a different price than the actual store.

2 months later
#912 2 years ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Me and the wife have been streaming a lot for the past 12months or so.
The average data usage has been around 600GB/month.
with a low one month about 300GB and a high of 850 GB another month,
This month (on the 24th) I get a warning that we reach 75% of our data limit of 1229GB, (i.e. about 800GB used.)
a day later got another email saying we reach 90% of our limit
and a day later that we exceed our 1.2TB limit.
4 days later we have used another 215GB of data over the limit, (nearing 1450GB usage total.)
Supposedly we will get charged $10 for every 50GB over the 1.2TB limit.
Thankfully my service provider (Xfinity) allows one month every 12 months to go over your data limit
without paying the penalty.
But what I am trying to figure out how did we double, even triple our data usage this month,
There are only 2 people in the household, we have kept our network private password protected,
and have the same number of laptops phones, TVs and Roku devices as the previous 12 months.
There have been no unknown devices that have linked to our network from what I can tell
using the available diagnostics.
My wife and I have done a fair amount of streaming lately, but for the data usage to basically double
pretty much means we have to be streaming HDTV programs 18 hrs a day
and we do NOT download/upload movies or music.
XFinity does have an unlimited data usage option for another $11/mo
which I may opt for, to protect my self for over usage charges.
The day prior to the first notice of reaching 75% usage, I turned in my old modem wifi router
for a new one since it was acting up and having to reset the old one several times a day to keep the internet connected.
Wondering if during this period of the old modem failing that it may have read my usage meter incorrectly
(i.e. its like someone left the water tap on and running continuous).
I can see maybe my usage might go up maybe 30-50% in one month, but doubling???
any thoughts or ideas?

Do you have a laptop or desktop computer? My first thought was that a device is compromised and being used as a torrent site or something along those lines. If try turning off your computers and seeing what it looks like then. Of course if your switch or router can give you pwr device traffic stats, that's even better, but if you know that you probably wouldn't be posting here...

#929 2 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

It's been ages since we ditched DirectTV, but I recall there was a charge for leasing the equipment at the time (I was well above $100/mn, and no movie channels). I remember reading about DirectTV wanting to charge someone to replace/fix equipment..."No, it's DirectTV's equipment, I lease it. YOU fix it - you own it." was supposedly how the story went. Don't know if that story was true or not, but given the DirectTV complaints at the time, it was good enough for me to finally pull the cord.

DirectTV used to be awesome from a customer service perspective. Then AT&T bought them. For example, we had a huge snowstorm one year that literally buried my dish on the roof- I think it was the storm that collapsed the Metrodome. I called them, they sent someone to clear the snow for free, but when they arrived they realized they couldn't because it was too high on the roof, so they gave me a $250 credit to hire a company to rake the roof instead. That level of service is long gone.

I keep them around for Sunday Ticket to watch the Bills and pause my service during the offseason. Hopefully Amazon buys those rights for the 2023 season.

1 month later
#970 1 year ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I just had 3.2gbps for $50....not sure how that was. My line was so fucked up the guy said. He came to replace my line from the box to the house.
I would get 6mb at 5am and then by noon I was past gig. So weird.
Back to a stable 500-600mbps now.

How is that possible? Your router only has gigabit, no?

3 months later
#999 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I cut the cord a few weeks ago. I went with 2 Channel Master Pro rooftop antennas. I have 2 communication panels in my set up. OTA reception is great. I have Roku ultras, (hardwired) on all of my TVs. The only streaming services I pay for are Peacock & Amazon Prime. Everything is wired w/ Cat6.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I'm in awe of your cabling. That's a skill I've never had. My closet is a rat's nest.

1 month later
#1033 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I have been happy with Dish, but I am trying to move away from most TV shows that are not on local channels for free.
I have been paying $82.50 a month, and no longer worth it when all I need is 5 months of ESPN a year.

I have DirecTV and for the last couple years, I simply freeze my account for six months. Basically after the superbowl, I freeze, and when preseason starts, u turn it back on. I need Sunday Ticket to watch the Bills and wasn't giving that up now that they're finally good! Hoping Amazon gets the rights and I can ditch DTV for good.

#1053 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

PARAMOUNT PLUS
Seems OK, a family member watches some stuff on there.

Lower Decks is awesome, highly recommended.

That said, you can get Paramount Plus for free if you don't mind hunting for a new code every month. I basically find a code (slickdeals.net has them posted in thr forums), sign up, then immediately cancel. You keep the month and at the end, you lose access until you repeat the process with a new code. Been doing that over a year now - much but be worth the savings to you, but letting others know.

#1055 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So do you have to recreate a new Sign In each month? Or just reuse the old?

Same sign in - the codes have (historically) been for former customers.

Here is the most recent one that still works:
https://slickdeals.net/f/16055449-free-month-of-paramount-to-stream-the-good-fight?page=4#commentsSection

(Code is FinalFight)

#1070 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

.I do like the wireless remotes as opposed to IR (infrared).

IR is wireless...

2 weeks later
#1098 1 year ago

Can always just hit the mute button and go get another beer also.

What is the best way to make a payment then?
Just curious, recently I was talking to someone, and they mentioned that they were paying 16 bucks a month and had plenty of channels.

The best way is to use legit services. I'm surprised the mods are allowing talk of illegal services on the forum, tbh.

1 week later
#1133 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I've been doing Hulu for .99/month for the last few years usually renewed about now. If any of you folks notice any good streaming deals, please give us a heads up.

I saw Hulu for $1.99/mo this year. https://www.hulu.com/gma?trk=public_post_main-feed-card-text

2 months later
#1191 1 year ago

I have never done that before; I just always order enough to get free shipping.
Is their TV stuff included with a prime subscription, or does it cost even more?

It is included.

2 months later
#1303 11 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

, other than the monthly sub to Youtube TV that is required.

You don't need a monthly sub to sign up for ST. You save $100 if you do buy that's it.

#1310 11 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Ypu save $100 on all the plans, for the next few weeks anyway.
[quoted image]

You save $100 by pre-ordering. Unlike DirecTV, you're paying up front instead of during the season. You save ANOTHER $100 if you have YouTubeTV. That's what I was referring to.

Quoted from Jamesays:

Is the red zone portion worth anything ? looks like 40 snapperillion more.

Some people love it and that's all they watch. I prefer watching the game itself, and only occasionally did RedZone. It basically highlights the games when teams are getting close to score, so it's great for fantasy football folks.

1 month later
#1327 10 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

And I suspect they are going to encrypt it

Will be testing this Netflix workaround tonight. Took all of about 5 minutes to setup.
https://cybernews.com/how-to-use-vpn/bypass-netflix-password-sharing-restrictions/

Not sure I agree with this:
"The situation is a real game-changer for most users, as now you’re forced to pay additional bucks for adding a new Netflix member to the account."

And if it IS true, then it is good that Netflix has changed their policy because having over half of people not paying for the service isn't sustainable.

#1329 10 months ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I'm grandfathered in under the old rules. You do you though...
[quoted image]

That's a saying, not a rule. Lol

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Fezmid.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=Fezmid and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.