(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 51 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9 5 years ago

If you can live with Antenna, I'd recommend an HD Homerun. You can connect a single antenna to the device, and it pushes the signal to any compatible device on your network:

https://www.silicondust.com/hdhomerun/

I've tried a lot of different setups. I had Directv for a while, then cut the cord to antenna/netflix... then went to Sling, then eventually settled on a cable/internet bundle with no rental equipment. That last option is more viable even without an HDhomerun because the streaming experience has gotten so much better recently.

#14 5 years ago

The HDHomerun for OTA is nice if you don't want to run antennas to each TV. That way you're paying for a single antenna (plus the box).

Keep in mind they also have versions for Cable. You just need to get a cablecard from the installer.

#21 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:I’ve considered an HD antenna myself. I put one up for my grandmother years ago and it worked great. The only thing I don’t know about and would need is to be able to record programs. And that I don’t know about, but if there are good recorders for over the air broadcasts I’d consider changing to an antenna.

Check into HDHomerun and NextPVR

#49 5 years ago

The worst part is, you can see the way things are trending with networks trying to pump their own subscription services with "exclusive content". Luckily all of it looks terrible. Most of those networks are painfully slow to adapt, and do a poor job of replicating what it is that worked with services like netflix to begin with. That's what happens when you have a bunch of crusty old white guys running an entertainment empire. You get Blue Bloods, now with exclusive bonus content from the ultraweb.

Sports are definitely what keep me tethered, and my want for passive noise. I hate selecting a show and then ignoring it while I'm doing something else. I'd rather just have a rerun of the simpsons on in the background that I didn't spend 20 minutes picking out. Hard to explain..

My HTPC crashed tonight, and broke a lot of my stuff... sort of bad timing. When I started this the streaming services from the tv providers was dreadful. Now it actually works, and with cheap hardware (like Roku). I would probably suggest that route for someone that doesn't want to completely cut - just a handful of Rokus and basic cable (assuming you get a good deal when bundled with your internet).

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So what's the price breakdown for the Spectrum streaming service and internet? I'm paying Spectrum ~$150/month for 100/10 internet, mid-tier channel package + HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I also use Tivo so no hardware fees other than ~$3 for a cable card.

I have Internet/Cable/Phone bundled right now for about 85 total. Same thing, I have a cable card, and premiums (at least HBO, I had the others but never watched anything on them).

Edit - nevermind.. I guess I'm paying 130 after further review. 30 of it is phone (my wife insists on it, and I use it for work), and 16 is other charges and taxes. My other charges is also higher than I thought. I'm gonna need to check into this.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

HDHomeRun6: Not out yet, but could be cool. I need to be able to get TV in the basement and other areas wirelessly like I do now. This is ethernet only for hookup right? Everything else can be wireless? (devices that hook up to it)

Assuming it's the same as the other HDHomeRun devices - you'll get the cable signal (or OTA) into the HDHR, and then connect the HDHR to your router. You'll be able to stream wirelessly to any compatible device on your network. I typically don't have much problem doing that, but the most reliable connection is going to be hardwired.

3 weeks later
#191 5 years ago

Quite a few steelers games would be national. For the others, would you watch on a delay? NFL gamepass is pretty cool, can even watch games condensed, or on different cameras (all 22). I think you need to wait until the next day to watch is the only caveat.

If that would work you could also do nhl tv. I think you could get each of those for about 100 a year.

2 weeks later
#219 5 years ago

I own a google nexus puck, a roku, and a firestick. The roku is the best of those devices, easily. If it supports all of the apps you'll use, I think that's the obvious choice.

2 weeks later
#261 5 years ago

I'm pretty frustrated over all of these new streaming services. All of the channels seem to be headed that way, and with exclusive content - CBS, AMC, and now all of Disney. I don't see it as anything other than bad news for everyone.

10 months later
#486 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Im not trying to put people down. I legitimately dont get it. Do you guys stay up late at night? Are your kids all grown?
We are a "10pm is late" kind of house since the kids go down around 7p and are up around 6a. (young kids obviously)
I can MAYBE watch an hour to two hours of tv a night with the wife. Usually a streaming service movie or series. A lot of the time we watch a movie in installments.
Lately Ive been halving that time with some pinball streaming of my own on twitch. I find that once Im setup and going I get about 30 minutes of stream before its time to get my TV time in with the wife so we dont go too much past 10pm for bed. Gotta have that wind down time with the office...
When Im at work Ill throw on a pinball streamer to give them the views, but Im not actively watching that person unless I hear something funny or want to see something happen on the game.
Besides that, I cant imagine 3 hours of my day sitting watching the tv for a sports game. I would much rather GO. I barely pay attention any more because of the time it takes to get invested in a team thats constantly changing, and games that are like every day some times. I cant keep up. I used to do fantasy hockey and I would watch every bears game every weekend. Cubs on the radio, tv, whatever. I still make it to a game once in a while. I havent done a hawks game in almost 2 years and I did the cubs once 2 years ago. It just too much. Id rather be pinballing or playing with the kids or doing something else.
Any ways, Im sure my situation is far past what a large portion of this site is experiencing. Everyone seems to have grown kids or none at all.
Im sure some people bond with their kids over sports, and thats fine. I may in the end, we will see. I assume once theyre grown Ill look for more things to fill my time with and sports will make a come back.
/rant

I have a similar schedule, except my kids go to bed about an hour later, and I stay up later than I should most nights (1130 is early for me).

I don't normally "sit and watch" anything other than a Packer game - those are mandatory dedicated viewings. I normally have it on in the background, and have an incredible knack to catch key plays and moments (even when I'm napping, believe it or not). While it's on I'm normally hanging out with the kids, internetting, playing some games, or getting some work or house project done.

Actually playing pinball is very active.. meaning there's not a lot of time where you can pause and catch a play or two during a game. That's why I think a 'passive' game like darts or pool are really great for game rooms, as they allow you to take a break even between shots to tune into a ball game. As quickly as you paused, you can resume.

I find that a passive watch like that is plenty to keep up to date with your favorite team.

1 year later
#769 2 years ago

Spectrum just jacked up our rates after our 2 year contract. I tried the call and cancel move, they didn't budge. They even went so far as to tell me the introductory offer shown on their website didn't exist, and that I was getting the best deal they have available for anyone (literally $100 over what the site showed for the same services).

That SNL skit hit me hard. When I regain my patience I'm going to need to try again or start to seek some alternatives. I have and like the HDHomerun, so that's a bit of a barrier.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Deaconblooze.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=Deaconblooze and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.