(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chitownpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I want to cut my cord with Directv/ATT. I have been a customer for a long time, and all they do is string me along with a measly discount that lasts a year. Its never a good enough discount.

I know all these companies have their evils. I would like to do this the best way possible, with the best outcome.

This is my plan:

I pay $140/month for Choice Xtra TV and 15mb internet. Pathetic. (Directv/ATT)

Comcast has a deal for $70/month for 2 years for 150mb internet and 140+ channels.

Really, I just want to be able to put on a sports game if people are over. Otherwise I would completely ditch TV. I know there are ways to stream for free online, but the ease of clicking a remote two or three times and its up appeals to me. Clicking links upon links of streams to find a garbage quality one doesnt interest me at all.

Please, share your stories. I would like to know what you all have done.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I too have DirecTV. And every year I must call, go to cancel service person, bitch about paying x amount. This year my first attempt didn’t work at lowering the bill with the foreign country operator. So tried a different number that is a DirecTV number and not associated with ATT. Got a nice guy from Tennessee and after a lot of talk and him going to his supervisor I lowered my bill $40 off a month. Last year was $30 off a month. It’s a pain to do EVERY year but I do it because I know it’s doable if you have the patience.

Right? I am NOT doing this again. My next call will be "listen, Im not doing this any more. You either lower this forever, or Im done".

I like the HDHomerun box, but Im not sure the 20 channels of OTA would make it worth it rather than just getting a comcast cable box off ebay and going with the 140+ channels. $80 for 2 years isnt bad.

The experiences are flowing quickly in here! Thanks to all, I will keep checking in for updates.

I cant officially do this until the ground thaws. I know for a fact my dog dug up the comcast line last year and I cut it with my lawn mower, so they will have to come lay a new line no doubt.

#117 5 years ago

WOW. Lots of great information so far, thanks a lot guys (and girls).

Right now I have:

Directv: $88
ATT: $55
Netflix: $11
HBOGo: FREE - Thanks mother in law
AmazonPrimeVideo: FREE - Thanks mother in law

I really like the aftermarket boxes mentioned:

HDHomeRun6: Not out yet, but could be cool. I need to be able to get TV in the basement and other areas wirelessly like I do now. This is ethernet only for hookup right? Everything else can be wireless? (devices that hook up to it)

Tablo: Looks cool, but its OTA only at this time.

Im nervous about the OTA only route. OTA offers some core channels, but what about Comcast Sports Net or the like? Will I just never get to watch another hockey game unless its on a local channel? Streams are just not practical. When I promise people they can come watch a game, then they get there and the stream cuts out and Im frantically trying to find another. Thats a real bummer. This happened to me multiple times in the past trying to stream games not in my area.

YoutubeTV also looks interesting, Ill keep an eye on that. Pretty decent value there.

It seems like the companies are just splitting themselves into equal pie pieces and letting people buy up whatever chunk of the pie they want. Although, in the end, if you get all that you want, you will probably be paying just as much as before, right? There is no way they will allow us to save money.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from jazzmaster:

Not sure if this has been mentioned but if you have U-Verse Internet, as of mid-December there is no more 1TB data cap if you also subscribe to any DirecTV NOW package. Used to be extended to U-Verse, DirecTV and 1G subscribers only.

At the shitty 15mbps they can get me, it would take me forever just to get to 1TB, lol.

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

After a few months, you just don't care anymore.
You think you will, but then you don't.
Any amazing play is replayed on the news, or even Youtube.

Something is lost when I have a bar/arcade and no sports on the TV. Im not watching sports like I used to at all, thats a fact. Having the ability to turn it on for who ever is over, is a big plus in my book.

I have an OTA antenna but its pretty old. Maybe Ill throw it up and see if it still works...

3 weeks later
#139 5 years ago

My Directv/ATT bill just showed up and its increased AGAIN. Im done. Im canceling TV. Ill change my internet later, but this has to stop.

#141 5 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

https://www.sling.com/#offer-details-open
Scroll down to the device offers. Get the air tv pack. Its free with 3 months subscription. It combines OTA with SlingTV. Plus you can add a hard drive to record OTA. Not bad for $30 a month.
Also, you can call DTV and say loyalty dept to the robot. say you are going to cancel and get directv now for $40 a year. They should match that price.

Cool, Ill check that out.

DTV only offered me $66 off, which was still going to be $121 a month for 12mbps internet and the same TV. Plus the taxes, fees, etc. Would have been too expensive still.

She tried to argue with me that comcast's 150mbps internet would be shared. I told her "Well, even if its a FRACTION of 150mb, thats better than this 12 I am getting now!"

#144 5 years ago

I can see why people stick with their providers. This is a lot of research, and work to set this stuff up. In my experience with my HTPC in the past, it never works perfectly and you are always tweaking settings, updates, etc. Its also not very user friendly for a parent or in law coming over without me there.

I am exploring all options.

My current plan:
1. Cancel TV - Done
2. Upgrade internet - Spring
3. Install OTA antenna - Ongoing (cant find the one I had)
4. Adjust or add streaming services to what I already have (Netflix, HBO Go, Prime)

I may not need to add anything. Once I play with the prime video stuff and see how the sports are, I may be fine. Both my TV's are smart, and I have apple TV as well. I may not need to add any additional hardware or streaming package.

2 weeks later
#203 5 years ago

Can you OTA antenna users post what you have and your distance from a major city or tower?

I am about 50 miles from the city of chicago. There are other towers closer, but they dont have all the channels I want at just one tower.

Im looking at a multi directional outdoor antenna possibly. I figure I can use my satellite's existing coaxial and run it to my TV. The only issue is getting ethernet to my TV so I can do an hdromerun box.

Im looking at this in the room with the router to make it easy:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HZD5MUM/

OR

This on the roof with existing coaxial:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007RH5GZI/ref=emc_b_5_t

#208 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Also, these work really well where you need a traditional ethernet port attached to a device....
amazon.com link »

I have one of these for my basement already. I dont think I can run more than 1 unfortunately.

Quoted from MRG:

I live in your area and I have an antenna like this on my roof. I get 90 channels.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/channel-master-compact-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/2926045.p?skuId=2926045
Buy them from a place where you can try them and if they don't work take them back. Fry's in Downers sells antenna too.

Wow 90. Well done. Thats a big ass antenna for sure.

#210 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

?????
I have 3 running on my network at home. I use them for different functions. In my "shed" I use one as a wireless extender, on my other two, I use them as traditional wireless/wire converters. They are just seen as wireless clients on your main router. I wouldn't give them the same SSID as your main router, I would give them all different SSIDs.
I am willing to bet the antenna you listed will do what you need. That big one seems insanely big. The only way I would go bigger is if I had lots of trees/line of site issues. If you have a somewhat open area, you will get the coverage you are looking for. I have experimented for years with different antennas (I have a trailer in the Dells with poor line of site that I keep trying different antennas with) and I still keep coming back to the Clearstream antenna with the Wineguard pre-amp.

OHHHH...I thought this was ethernet over AC, my bad.

I have this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5AT8DC/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title

Thx for that!

#221 5 years ago

Ive never looked much at how the directv installer put my dish in. I can see why I got hit by lightning a few years ago. He bypassed the grounding!

My question: If I reintroduce that grounding mount, is it properly grounded? The green wire grounds to the box of the electric meter.

My plan is to re-ground the line from the roof once I swap the dish out for the antenna. My directv turned off last night. Thats a first step!

04A198F2-2597-4F77-AA8A-8C9659E25E1B (resized).jpeg04A198F2-2597-4F77-AA8A-8C9659E25E1B (resized).jpeg
#223 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Not an electrician here, but an electrical engineer. The green wire does at least ground the coax, not adequate for lightning. Don't know the electrical codes, but I suspect grounding to the outside of a painted box doesn't meet the grounding codes. Just a WAG.
For lightning, you really need a devoted wire going to a ground rod. No sharp bends. Ideally a lightning arrestor too.
Those were just quick answers since i didn't have much time. Perhaps someone can elaborate further.

Gotcha. I didnt have the coax through my power conditioner before the hit we took. It is now, but I know thats not ideal.

Does any one ground their satellite dish? Seems like it should be a requirement when they put it in.

Any way, I figure the ota antenna is going to be the highest point of my house possibly once I mount it to the satellite’s pole. Seems like a good idea.

Now ill have to call julie so i can jam a rod in the ground right there and not die lol.

1 week later
#230 5 years ago

Any one have ATT DSL? Im contemplating upgrading from 12 mb to 24mb and buying my own modem/router (Pace 4111n). Would save me $80 a year by buying it.

They arent very up front with what modem/routers will work. Seems to be that they hide it so you have to rent them forever.

NO MORE!

#231 5 years ago

The saga continues...

Got on chat with ATT today to hash out the upgrade and if the equipment would work.

They offered to upgrade me at no additional charge..shifty....

Why dont they just do this automatically? Such a racket. Who doesnt want faster internet for the same price? I hate this game.

Back to chat to see if I can make a $50 modem/router work instead of paying them $80 a year for one....

#233 5 years ago

They just told me I HAVE to use their equipment, but they gave me a $10 lifetime credit.

I think theyre afraid to lose me because I said I was going to comcast when I canceled my directv....

Well see how this goes. Not holding my breath.

#235 5 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I live in your area and had to go through the same ordeal for my Mom. You should get the 25 speed for $40. $50 - $10 credit. She has a bundle with Directv and a land line.

That will do for me. If its under $50 and its truly 24mb, I can live with that for now. Once my girls grow up though....Ill probably have to upgrade.

Thanks for the insight!

#237 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

DSL is still a thing?

Yep...its all the rage still. They claim they can get 100mbps on dsl with the highest tier!

Copper is copper...

1 week later
#297 5 years ago

Back to your regularly scheduled program...

My “24mb” internet upgrade from att is hovering right around 15. Give me a break.

Well see what my bill looks like coming up next.

Removing my dish and putting the antenna up is next. Not sure when. Still need to get a long ass piece of copper to drive into the ground too....

I think this is the one.
TV Antenna - RCA Compact Outdoor Yagi Hdtv Satellite Antenna with 150 Mile Range - Attic or Roof Mount TV Antenna, Long Range Digital OTA Antenna for Clear Hdtv Reception, 4K 1080P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_UqgUCbYA6WGSX

1 week later
#306 4 years ago

OK, so the saga continues.

Got my first bill today, almost $60. Says im on 12mb internet still. W T F

Chat again with them, they say the agent I spoke to last didnt complete everything......great.

So, NOW I guess I am actually upgraded....well see.

Internet was 12mb previously. I have been testing daily at home, and the speed did go up to 15mb which is odd....

Well see if I actually get any where near 25mb....

#308 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

chitownpinball Did you ever buy and install the antenna?

No...havent had any time lately. Internet was my first priority any ways. I need it to be fast an reliable before I start relying on it to distribute my OTA signal.

2 months later
#336 4 years ago

I just bought an Amazon Fire TV Recast. It's on sale for $129 or $179 depending upon the amount of tuners and memory you want. It's a DVR/OTA TV tuner with no monthly fees. BONUS: You can watch network TV on any TV in your house that has an Amazon Fire TV stick in it.
I wish I had it BEFORE i ran coax to all the TVs in the house.... It's pretty sweet and has a nice interface with a TV guide and decent recording options.

This actually sounds pretty appealing. Question though. In this setup, do you have to have YOUR prime acct logged in to use the dvr and such? The reason I ask is that I use a borrowed prime account....

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

It is tied to your Amazon account. Amazon ecosystems all tie to Amazon accounts. It is kind of annoying if you want to do anything outside of Amazon products, but great if you stay brand loyal to all of their product offerings.
Here are the setup instructions, check out step 3....
Install a digital antenna for your Fire TV Recast.
Next, plug your Fire TV Recast and power adapter into a power outlet.
Open the Fire TV app, sign in to your Amazon account, and select Set up a Fire TV Recast.
Follow the app instructions to connect to the Internet and complete device registration.

Quoted from JimFNB:

You may know already but just in case not ... people can legit share prime by making an Amazon household. I’m in one.
The main account gets all prime benefits while the second account gets shipping and video but loses some stuff, but I don’t know all the details bc I don’t miss them.

I do have my own account (so I'm not sure about using another person's account), but I think you would only need a regular Amazon account to use it (and not a "Prime" account). Double-check with Amazon first! The discount may only be for Prime members, but may be available to all on Prime Day (July 14 or 15, I think).

I am part of a prime “household” before they ruined it. They used to include more stuff, but still offer us the shipping but no video of any kind.

I was just wondering if I signed into the cast box with MY account, could I then download the prime video app and watch with their main account. Otherwise it seems silly to even watch any prime video on there when we have our apple tv signed into the main acct.

Hmmmm...

#352 4 years ago

Roku guys. Am i understanding this correctly? If I want to private listen to whats playing on my tv, I can use the roku app and plug headphones into my device/phone?

I see the ultra has the remote with the headphone jack, but its on the more expensive box.

Ive got a newborn and were doing shifts so it would be nice to hear the tv without waking the house.

Thanks

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from Alax:Deleted post

Is this SPAM?????

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Yep... it is slick. You can use your phone for any roku on your network.

Sweet. Ill grab the roku premier in case I want to use it with the 4k tv in the basement. Thanks!

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Definitely looks like IP geolocating. This is from their support site-
....... if you don’t bring the device back home periodically, the family manager will either have to change the family's home location or you'll need to get your own individual membership.
That being said, you could utilize a cheap vpn service, change your home area with said vpn service, then have the family member use the same vpn service.
The other solution if you are network savvy, would be to setup vpn service at home, and periodically have your family member connect to your vpn and fire up their device to check-in.

Doesnt seems worth it for a measly $10/month honestly lol.

#368 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Which service issues a second account for $10?
Sorry, i dont understand.

OH WOW. Youtube tv is $50 a month???? Just looked.

#375 4 years ago

This thread is encouraging me to pirate. Its so much easier. I dont even miss tv honestly. The kid watches hbo go and amazon prime. Im hoping i can ride this out. Well see what happens when some one wants a game on the tv. I need a good sports streaming site. It used to be firstrowsports. Wonder if that still works....

#376 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hey Chitown,
Roku's are great, but one thing you might want to take note on are the remotes. Some are IR, others are RF which means you can stash the streamer itself behind the TV where it can't be seen. Of course, the IR needs a 'line of sight' to the sensor. I think the premier is IR. I'd spend another $10 and get the Stick+ which should be a RF remote. Please double check tho, don't want to mislead you.
oops...I don't think the Stick+ has the headphone jack. You can use a smart phone tho for the headphones.
https://www.roku.com/products/players
[quoted image]

Just grabbed one of these. The wife finally conceded that she would use the private listening feature for these late night infant sessions. Its on now!

Bet you i can hack this thing too. You know, for science.

#378 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Which model did you get? Roku's aren't really hackable. The closet thing would be to play around w/private channels. Those are channels that haven't been submitted to Roku for approval, but Roku doesn't stop them from being loaded. Just google it, I don't have any installed - plenty to chose from as is.
If you want to experiment, look into a Raspberry Pi. Ver 4 was just released.

I thought popcorn time was available on roku. Maybe I thought wrong. I got the stick+. The little box didnt seem to have anything special other than an ethernet port. I get it tomorrow, cant wait to try it out.

Ive got an og release rasp pi I used to use as a media player. In a drawer some where. They look to have come a long way.

#383 4 years ago

Thx bro!

Im thinking i take my old htpc and get that setup to easily get a game going if i need it.

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Thanks for letting us know this.

Same price as amazon has been for a week now.

The stick+ does the same thing for less right? Im not sure what the ultra offers thats better honestly. I cant figure it out.

#391 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well im no expert so please nobody jump on me if you think i am wrong, but i have had experience with the firestick and the the Roku ultra and heres the two things that i noticed while trying to watch sling tv.
#1 with the stick while trying to watch sports the movement of the ball like a baseball or a QB throwing a football the video seemed choppy and it does not with the Roku uktra. Watching sports was just horrible on my friends firestick. I dont know why this would be but i have read online that sling tv does not work very well with the firesticks.
#2 browsing through the menus with the Roku ultra is super fast and it is definitely not nearly as good with a firestick. I am assuming that the Roku has a much faster processor is why it is better. You also get a much nicer RF remote with the Roku Ultra as well.
Maybe a 3rd thing also, i have no buffering with the Roku Ultra and there was a little with the firestick.

Stick+ IS roku

Roku Streaming Stick+ | HD/4K/HDR Streaming Device with Long-range Wireless and Voice Remote with TV Power and Volume https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075XLWML4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_TtClDbC1RCVC6

Has an rf remote. Has 4k. Has it all. Not sure what the deal is other than the ethernet port on the ultra.

2 weeks later
#420 4 years ago
Quoted from PismoArcade:

Day three of cutting the cord and subscribing to YouTube TV and we're absolutely loving it.

We still havent bothered much with paying for anything extra at this point in our cord cutting process. Weve been playing with our roku a bunch, so much free content. Weve been using our hulu free trial a lot. I may end up paying for the ad free version after the trial is up. Keep hulu until I get tired of their content then move on.

I have had Roku for a while and recently converted to firesticks.
I tended to not watch the free stuff on Roku (though the Roku channel is pretty good). The biggest benefit to the Firestick is that I can watch OTA TV on any TV (and even on my iPhone) WITHOUT running an antenna wire to each TV AS LONG AS you also have the Amazon Recast.
The amount of commercials on the free Roku stuff kind of took the bloom off of that rose for me....

Still need to get on that roof....lol

I just cant do it with amazon. Its too much. They have taken over enough stuff already. There are other boxes that will stream your ota antenna without selling your soul to bezos.

The only appeal I saw from firestick was ability to “hack” and install kodi. Otherwise Im staying away from the big A as much as I can these days.

#423 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Take a look at the Nvidia Shield. I run Plex on that for the DVR. Seriously fast hardware and 4K. You can also play Zen Pinball (or whatever it is called), MAME and Kodi. Best Buy has them.
Almost forgot...Roku and Firestick have Plex apps. The Shield acts as the server.

I have an original release shield tablet actually. Its my only android device in the house. Ill have to check this out. Thank you.

5 months later
#454 4 years ago

My current status:

Pay:
Netflix
Hulu
Disney+

"Free":
Prime
HBO
Possibly youtube tv soon

$50 30mbps internet

Im below what I used to pay for just TV for sure. TV and internet under $100 currently...its working out alright.

Still want to get that antenna on the roof this spring...

1 month later
#475 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Lol I like them also but not as much as her. Shes one if their biggest fans, never misses a game ever. I think the Reds will definitely be very good this year though.

Always weirds me out when people have this much time to devote to a sport

#477 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

If it makes her happy then i am happy. She worked her whole life and is semi retired now so she has earned the free time that she has and if she wants to watch all of the Reds games thats her right to do so.

That makes sense. I know people with families who talk about all this sports crap like all they do is research stats. I dunno how they find the time.

#479 4 years ago
Quoted from BillySastard:

There's people on this forum that listen to multiple podcasts, watch lengthy Twitch streams of pinball, and pinball YouTube videos. I'd say there's zero difference between them and someone who watches every game of their favorite sports team.

Im not trying to put people down. I legitimately dont get it. Do you guys stay up late at night? Are your kids all grown?

We are a "10pm is late" kind of house since the kids go down around 7p and are up around 6a. (young kids obviously)

I can MAYBE watch an hour to two hours of tv a night with the wife. Usually a streaming service movie or series. A lot of the time we watch a movie in installments.

Lately Ive been halving that time with some pinball streaming of my own on twitch. I find that once Im setup and going I get about 30 minutes of stream before its time to get my TV time in with the wife so we dont go too much past 10pm for bed. Gotta have that wind down time with the office...

When Im at work Ill throw on a pinball streamer to give them the views, but Im not actively watching that person unless I hear something funny or want to see something happen on the game.

Besides that, I cant imagine 3 hours of my day sitting watching the tv for a sports game. I would much rather GO. I barely pay attention any more because of the time it takes to get invested in a team thats constantly changing, and games that are like every day some times. I cant keep up. I used to do fantasy hockey and I would watch every bears game every weekend. Cubs on the radio, tv, whatever. I still make it to a game once in a while. I havent done a hawks game in almost 2 years and I did the cubs once 2 years ago. It just too much. Id rather be pinballing or playing with the kids or doing something else.

Any ways, Im sure my situation is far past what a large portion of this site is experiencing. Everyone seems to have grown kids or none at all.
Im sure some people bond with their kids over sports, and thats fine. I may in the end, we will see. I assume once theyre grown Ill look for more things to fill my time with and sports will make a come back.

/rant

#489 4 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

ITT: OP starts thread about watching TV, then criticizes people for watching TV

Uh, no. I started a thread about cutting down on TV. I also clearly said there that I wasnt trying to put people down. Calm yourself.

2 weeks later
#544 4 years ago

Getting warmer out...probably venture out on the roof and take the dish down finally. Plan to replace it with this. Any objections, tips or tricks? I plan to use the same coax and mast from the dish.

TV Antenna - RCA Outdoor Yagi Satellite HD Antenna with Over 70 Mile Range - Attic or Roof Mount TV Antenna, Long Range Digital OTA Antenna for Clear Reception, 4K 1080P https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0024R4B5C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_hd7yEb6Z43BXN

6 months later
#593 3 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Youtube just announced their departure from Sinclair.... No surprise there. Say goodbye to regional sports networks.
[quoted image]

Its an asterisk season. Just ignore it and save the money...

Im loading up on the office dvds for the netflix departure, lol. Ive been pretty happy with hulu (commercial version), netflix, and disney. I have prime as well, but dont pay for it. Havent had a need for the antenna yet. Ive been REAL lazy with this project. I cut the cord and never looked back, lol.

Internet may need an upgrade once these kids grow up. Looking to hopefully starlink or google fiber by then.

#603 3 years ago
Quoted from brainmegaphone:

Now I watch less football generally since the games that are broadcast in my area are often uninteresting so I just shut it off. It gives me more time for other stuff.

Football is just 11 minutes of actual playing and the rest is commercials. Its a joke. I dont even bother watching games on TV.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

1 year later
#915 2 years ago

Well, its been 3 years since I cut the cord and I do not miss it at all.

Right now Im even rebelling against the flix. They just didnt have anything for me for a while. Its almost been a year of no flix.

Current setup:
Comcast Fast Internet (1g/s at times) $50/m
Hulu - free with verizon
Disney - free with verizon
Prime - free from fam
Hbo max - free from fam

Id say Im doing pretty good. Definitely cut my bills way down on tv.

1 month later
#969 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I guess I have something to be grateful for today!100mbps for $35 a month

I just had 3.2gbps for $50....not sure how that was. My line was so fucked up the guy said. He came to replace my line from the box to the house.

I would get 6mb at 5am and then by noon I was past gig. So weird.

Back to a stable 500-600mbps now.

#972 1 year ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

How is that possible? Your router only has gigabit, no?

Right? So is my switch...

I was so confused. Lemme see if I got a screen shot.

3 months later
#986 1 year ago

Yall ever help an older person cut the cord? Lord beer me strength....

If I hear "I need WGN" one more time....

#1012 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

You just need an OTA (over the air antenna), right?

Thought so. Havent had luck receiving it yet. Ive got a few channels I can pickup at her house but she lives in a weird spot by a river. Im working on it….

#1014 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So this would be your first step: https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
Plug in your address info and see what's out there and an estimated of signal strength. That will give you a rough idea of the antenna needed.
What do you use for an antenna now?

She's "moderate" for WGN. I have a nicer antenna for her to try. I havent had a moment to go over with it.

#1017 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Do you remember if WGN was VHF (hi or low) or UHF?

Quoted from girloveswaffles:

WGN "Was" a VHF station on channel 9. It's now a DTV station on UHF, and is virtual station 9 (broadcast on UHF channel 19):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGN-TV

Thanks yall.

The antenna she got was abysmal. I did not consult on it. I will report back.

8 months later
#1341 10 months ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

This thread has been very helpful for me, thank you!
I do love the IPTV stuff, but if someday that were to go away, I would just use my antenna, and do without shows that are not over the air for free.
I would think that advertising companies would want their shows on networks that show commercials anyway, instead of limited to pay sites.
I would never pay more money to watch shows without commercials. I need breaks anyway.
If I ever miss a college football game or NFL game, it is no big deal, I can look the score up anytime I want on the internet.
I am not paying a dime more than I am now ever again, which is 7 bucks a month.
It can be a pain in the ass, but well worth the savings for me anyway.

I love this thread so much! Glad everyone has carried on with it. I just stream everything at this point. I only pay for....uhh.....I dont pay for any of them. The way it should be. 'Merica.

2 months later
#1390 7 months ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'm an RF engineer, holler if you want some technical assistance. Glad to help.

Cool, like for live audio or?

2 weeks later
#1536 6 months ago

I got to watch a blackhawks pre season game the other night on hulu, which is free with my phone plan. That was groovy! Will it continue? The announcers were awful.

#1538 6 months ago
Quoted from PinJim:

What phone plan do you have?

Verizon. My wife and I got a plan a couple year ago that included it.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Chitownpinball.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right?tu=Chitownpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.