(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG

There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 32.
#301 4 years ago
Quoted from homegameroom:

I'll try Mint Mobile for a bit

I've been using Mint Mobile for about 5 months now. Very happy with it.

It's the AT&T network

Mint uses T-Mobile's network.

#302 4 years ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Too good to be true, I just knew 32 new posts in the "CUTTING THE CORD" thread was gonna be an ethics argument

I'm just trying to figure out why VacFink waited until post #266 to get judgemental? I think "shady" methods of watching content have been mentioned since around post #4. That said, purely streaming doesn't appear to be illegal for the consumer watching the stream. If you are streaming for a large group, like say at a bar, then even streaming can be illegal. This is all based on 5 minutes of Googling so do your own due diligence.

I'd also say that for anyone doing anything "shady" enough, those Subway cards ain't gonna save you. They'll make it a little harder, but you can be found.

#303 4 years ago

....does anyone have any thoughts about a grounding rod for an "indoor" antenna installation?...

A grounding rod is not needed indoors for lightning. If by chance your antenna wire (coax) goes outside to get to it's destination, it is recommended to ground the shield part of the coax with a coax grounding block.

However, there is the possibility there's an electrical code pertaining to metal structures (i.e. what if a live wire touched an underground metal object in the attic?). But that would be more of a safety issue.

Here's some interesting reading about the subject: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/347460-do-attic-antennas-need-grounding-block.html

#304 4 years ago
Quoted from Amused_to_Death:

I've been using Mint Mobile for about 5 months now. Very happy with it.

Mint uses T-Mobile's network.

Ack! Thank you for the correction!

#305 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

A grounding rod is not needed indoors for lightning. If by chance your antenna wire (coax) goes outside to get to it's destination, it is recommended to ground the shield part of the coax with a coax grounding block.
However, there is the possibility there's an electrical code pertaining to metal structures (i.e. what if a live wire touched an underground metal object in the attic?). But that would be more of a safety issue.
Here's some interesting reading about the subject: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/25-hdtv-technical/347460-do-attic-antennas-need-grounding-block.html

Quoted from mbwalker:

And thank you for that info and link!!!

1 week later
#306 4 years ago

OK, so the saga continues.

Got my first bill today, almost $60. Says im on 12mb internet still. W T F

Chat again with them, they say the agent I spoke to last didnt complete everything......great.

So, NOW I guess I am actually upgraded....well see.

Internet was 12mb previously. I have been testing daily at home, and the speed did go up to 15mb which is odd....

Well see if I actually get any where near 25mb....

#307 4 years ago

Chitownpinball Did you ever buy and install the antenna?

#308 4 years ago

chitownpinball Did you ever buy and install the antenna?

No...havent had any time lately. Internet was my first priority any ways. I need it to be fast an reliable before I start relying on it to distribute my OTA signal.

#309 4 years ago

I have learned it's just not throw up a antenna and signing up for a streaming service! Not even a month into streaming and we blew through our data cap with our provider (Cox cable) had to up grade internet package, getting a OTA DVR. Now I have to get a new router because my old one can't the new internet speed! Costs keep adding up!

#310 4 years ago

They are all juggling their plans to get the streamers now. I bit the bullet and upgraded internet speed:

PING ms
DOWNLOAD Mbps
UPLOAD Mbps

#311 4 years ago

I'm on copper still. UPgraded my internet to this today....

49.9 Meg D/L ping 23 ms
10.1 U/L ping 6 ms

I'm pretty pleased to be able to get these numbers

3 weeks later
#312 4 years ago

Im still wresting on how to do this, and have a question left others might know.

When trying to get the major networks through an online service, I find companies like Direct TV, Hulu, Youtube, Direct TV, Comcast Streaming,
Spectrum Streaming.

My goal is to use one of these services for main channel service.
Here is my issue.

Some of these providers, have "blocks" on Sony Smart TVs, others appear to restrict the usage across locations.
The Big Guys, add a ton of Taxes.

It would seem Hulu, and Youtube, would not have any heavy taxes?
As well as being available any location with internet?

Is anyone using one service across several locations?

As a side note, im considering an aggregate cloud dvr such as Flitzy
https://www.fitzytv.com/

Any other suggestions that do better across several streaming platforms?

#313 4 years ago

I get the major networks with an HD antenna over the air. Then use something like the Tivo Bolt to DVR the OTA content and stream other services like Hulu, Netflix, and Prime. https://www.tivo.com/products/ota-detail

#314 4 years ago

I use an antenna as well for the network and local channels.

#315 4 years ago

Appreciate that...sorry i didnt mention. I tried 60 mile indoor/outdooe, but towers are 50 to 60 miles and I cant reveive.
Condo restrictions limit outdoor
Antennas, so im locked into online providers...

#316 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Appreciate that...sorry i didnt mention. I tried 60 mile indoor/outdooe, but towers are 50 to 60 miles and I cant reveive.
Vondo redtrovtions limit outdoor
Antennas, so im locked into online providees...

You can also get what they call lifeline cable around here. Its the most basic package that they have. Kind of important to have local news in areas like mine where you have severe weather sometimes.

#317 4 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Vondo redtrovtions limit outdoor
Antennas, so im locked into online providees...

Those "placemat" antenna never work as good as they claim. I went with the clearsteam model that has a ~70 mile range and it works fine, but they do have a few outdoor antennas that claim up to 150 mile range for less than $40.

https://www.amazon.com/s You could always try one and then just return it if it doesn't work.

Oops, I see "limit outdoor" so nevermind...

#318 4 years ago

I had sketch reception with my attic antenna (it was fairly small) so I bought a signal amplifier - Lowe's has them stocked on the shelves! It made an incredible difference!

Try using your antenna (if you have a semi-decent one in the attic) with the Lowe's amplifier (I think it was around $22). You can always return it if you don't notice an improvement.

3 weeks later
#319 4 years ago

I am in El Paso looking for a repair to my pinball machine any contacts?

#320 4 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Those "placemat" antenna never work as good as they claim. I went with the clearsteam model that has a ~70 mile range and it works fine, but they do have a few outdoor antennas that claim up to 150 mile range for less than $40.
amazon.com link » You could always try one and then just return it if it doesn't work.
Oops, I see "limit outdoor" so nevermind...

There are a lot of those "Place mat" antennas, and a lot of them don't work that well, but, I got one of the Winegard ones in a bedroom and it works great.
It also has a USB connection for a amplifier that is built into it (it also comes with a AC adapter in case your TV doesn't have a USB port, or you need an extra one). This is the one I have:
https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-FlatWave-FL5500A-Amplified-Ultra-Thin/dp/B00BN5Z2WM/ref=sr_1_3

#321 4 years ago

Put one of these in the attic and be amazed. The one I built many years ago worked really well.

https://www.markdigital.com/2009/01/24/making-an-inexpensive-antenna-for-digital-tv-with-coat-hangers/

1 week later
#322 4 years ago

Anybody using this? $20 per year for news and VPN (lifetime rate). I think I'm about to embrace the dark side again.

https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=best-usenet-deal-ever

#323 4 years ago

Cut the cord was a thing... now simply cost the same for the same crap. Pay more for streaming services than when I was feeding the cableman

#324 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

Cut the cord was a thing... now simply cost the same for the same crap. Pay more for streaming services than when I was feeding the cableman

Yep your right! Everybody hates the cable guy and satellite guy...but in the end they always win...so you cut the cable to save a few bucks then start paying for streaming services, and then everyone starts using more data and then everyone starts paying more for data usage services.....like I said they will win by up charging for all the data usage in the future...why does my cable bill keep going up?? You will be saying the same thing about your internet bill next....

#325 4 years ago
Quoted from TechnicalSteam:

My SlingTV is very reasonable, 25 a month plus two packages that i added on for another 10 bucks. So 35 dollars a month and we get all the channels that we used to watch that cable wants 99 dollars for. If it was for the Miss though i would be rabbit ears and Netflox only.

#326 4 years ago

I just switched my setup....

Here is my current setup-
Antenna with AirTV box
Philo
Hulu
Amazon Prime
Pluto

I get about 65 OTA channels with the Antenna, and then use Rokus (have one on every tv) to watch those channels via AirTV.

Monthly cost-
Charter 200mb internet- $65
Hulu- $5
Philo- $20
Pluto- Free
Prime- Free
Total- $90

That is a total of about 100 unique channels.

I went AirTV instead of Tablo or HDHomerun because if I ever switch from Philo, it would only to be to go to Sling, and the AirTV seemlessly integrates into Sling.

As a reference point, after my Charter streaming only deal would have expired, I would have been paying about $170 a month for similar services.

Charter continues to raise fees for everything, including Cable access fees.... I am done playing the game....

#327 4 years ago
Quoted from BladeFury:

.like I said they will win by up charging for all the data usage in the future.

Things are about to get very interesting with 5G and satellite broadband. I expect prices to go down once your local cable provider isn't the only "good" option.

#328 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I just switched my setup....
Here is my current setup-
Antenna with AirTV box
Philo
Hulu
Amazon Prime
Pluto
I get about 65 OTA channels with the Antenna, and then use Rokus (have one on every tv) to watch those channels via AirTV.
Monthly cost-
Charter 200mb internet- $65
Hulu- $5
Philo- $20
Pluto- Free
Prime- Free
Total- $90
That is a total of about 100 unique channels.
I went AirTV instead of Tablo or HDHomerun because if I ever switch from Philo, it would only to be to go to Sling, and the AirTV seemlessly integrates into Sling.
As a reference point, after my Charter streaming only deal would have expired, I would have been paying about $170 a month for similar services.
Charter continues to raise fees for everything, including Cable access fees.... I am done playing the game....

My setup is almost identical to yours except we have Tivo with a lifetime subscription. Won't do Tivo again. Seems like they are losing their focus. And we have HBOGo

#329 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Things are about to get very interesting with 5G and satellite broadband. I expect prices to go down once your local cable provider isn't the only "good" option.

Crossing fingers but 5G should be an all around game changer...Zero latency is huge...but not sure if it is going to bring prices up or down...time will tell..

#330 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

My setup is almost identical to yours except we have Tivo with a lifetime subscription. Won't do Tivo again. Seems like they are losing their focus. And we have HBOGo

Nice... we use HBO in blocks. When Westworld ends for the season we pickup HBO for a month, then binge the whole season.

I am going to do the same thing with Sling later this year when baseball season gets close to playoffs.

I think the biggest advantage to cord cutting is the no-contract seasonal availability of all the services.

#331 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I am keeping a very close eye on Amazons satellite internet offering.

We only have one decent internet option here, and 65/month is excessive for what it is.

#332 4 years ago

Heres a very helpful Link that shares a comparison....some prices have/are changing.

It lists Internet providers, cost and stations carried.

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-tv-vs-sling-tv-vs-directv-now-vs-hulu-and-more-live-tv-channels-compared/

#333 4 years ago

I just bought an Amazon Fire TV Recast. It's on sale for $129 or $179 depending upon the amount of tuners and memory you want. It's a DVR/OTA TV tuner with no monthly fees. BONUS: You can watch network TV on any TV in your house that has an Amazon Fire TV stick in it.

I wish I had it BEFORE i ran coax to all the TVs in the house.... It's pretty sweet and has a nice interface with a TV guide and decent recording options.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Anybody using this? $20 per year for news and VPN (lifetime rate). I think I'm about to embrace the dark side again.
https://controlpanel.newshosting.com/signup/index.php?promo=best-usenet-deal-ever

Newshosting has been pretty solid for usenet. Their VPN service is kind of flakey. Way too many disconnects.

#335 4 years ago

I just bought an Amazon Fire TV Recast. It's on sale for $129 or $179 depending upon the amount of tuners and memory you want...

Wife has Tivo and I use Plex for the DVR. But the Recast did catch my eye. I have a mix of Rokus and Fire Sticks and Recast currently doesn't support Roku. So for now, I'm passing. Sounds like there's some growing pains w/the software still. If I was starting from scratch, I'd nab the Recast. Plex has apps for both the Roku and Fire Stick.

Tivo's interface has gotten so convoluted, it fails at being a DVR at times. I don't even use it. I just want a DVR. Look at the guide, schedule records, watch. Tivo went with the "let's make it do everything" philosophy, just to much bloat.

#336 4 years ago

I just bought an Amazon Fire TV Recast. It's on sale for $129 or $179 depending upon the amount of tuners and memory you want. It's a DVR/OTA TV tuner with no monthly fees. BONUS: You can watch network TV on any TV in your house that has an Amazon Fire TV stick in it.
I wish I had it BEFORE i ran coax to all the TVs in the house.... It's pretty sweet and has a nice interface with a TV guide and decent recording options.

This actually sounds pretty appealing. Question though. In this setup, do you have to have YOUR prime acct logged in to use the dvr and such? The reason I ask is that I use a borrowed prime account....

#337 4 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I use newsgroupdirect as my primary unlimited host and then I have block accounts with both Blocknews and Tweaknews. I think newsgroupdirect is $3.75/month, so it's a lot more expensive than newshosting.

I really should use a VPN, but haven't had time to deal with that yet.

#338 4 years ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

This actually sounds pretty appealing. Question though. In this setup, do you have to have YOUR prime acct logged in to use the dvr and such? The reason I ask is that I use a borrowed prime account....

I do have my own account (so I'm not sure about using another person's account), but I think you would only need a regular Amazon account to use it (and not a "Prime" account). Double-check with Amazon first! The discount may only be for Prime members, but may be available to all on Prime Day (July 14 or 15, I think).

#339 4 years ago

Been almost 6 years since we cancelled cable. Antenna, Netflix and Amazon Prime for us.

#340 4 years ago

The reason I ask is that I use a borrowed prime account....

You may know already but just in case not ... people can legit share prime by making an Amazon household. I’m in one.

The main account gets all prime benefits while the second account gets shipping and video but loses some stuff, but I don’t know all the details bc I don’t miss them.

#341 4 years ago

It is tied to your Amazon account. Amazon ecosystems all tie to Amazon accounts. It is kind of annoying if you want to do anything outside of Amazon products, but great if you stay brand loyal to all of their product offerings.

Here are the setup instructions, check out step 3....

Install a digital antenna for your Fire TV Recast.

Next, plug your Fire TV Recast and power adapter into a power outlet.

Open the Fire TV app, sign in to your Amazon account, and select Set up a Fire TV Recast.

Follow the app instructions to connect to the Internet and complete device registration.

#342 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

It is tied to your Amazon account. Amazon ecosystems all tie to Amazon accounts. It is kind of annoying if you want to do anything outside of Amazon products, but great if you stay brand loyal to all of their product offerings.
Here are the setup instructions, check out step 3....
Install a digital antenna for your Fire TV Recast.
Next, plug your Fire TV Recast and power adapter into a power outlet.
Open the Fire TV app, sign in to your Amazon account, and select Set up a Fire TV Recast.
Follow the app instructions to connect to the Internet and complete device registration.

Quoted from JimFNB:

You may know already but just in case not ... people can legit share prime by making an Amazon household. I’m in one.
The main account gets all prime benefits while the second account gets shipping and video but loses some stuff, but I don’t know all the details bc I don’t miss them.

I do have my own account (so I'm not sure about using another person's account), but I think you would only need a regular Amazon account to use it (and not a "Prime" account). Double-check with Amazon first! The discount may only be for Prime members, but may be available to all on Prime Day (July 14 or 15, I think).

I am part of a prime “household” before they ruined it. They used to include more stuff, but still offer us the shipping but no video of any kind.

I was just wondering if I signed into the cast box with MY account, could I then download the prime video app and watch with their main account. Otherwise it seems silly to even watch any prime video on there when we have our apple tv signed into the main acct.

Hmmmm...

#343 4 years ago

I need to look at my total spenda again. I think it's higher than it was initially for things I don't even need.

I get excited about one show and then forget to turn off the service. (HBO) , ABC are good examples of that.

#344 4 years ago

I am part of a prime “household” before they ruined it. They used to include more stuff, but still offer us the shipping but no video of any kind.
I was just wondering if I signed into the cast box with MY account, could I then download the prime video app and watch with their main account. Otherwise it seems silly to even watch any prime video on there when we have our apple tv signed into the main acct.
Hmmmm...

I think you could set it up on your account, and use it as a stand alone OTA streaming experience. The reason for the tie into the account is to give it that seemless feel. All of your Prime Video PLUS OTA Antenna in one slick interface.

This is exactly how the airtv device I bought works with SlingTV, but they were smart enough to not require SlingTV to make it work as a standalone. I use the AirTV app on my Roku and phones, all without needing a Sling Account. The advantage is the seemlessness of the interface if I did use Sling- very similar to Amazon's offering.

Are you Amazon brand loyal? I bought a like new refurbed AirTV box last week from Amazon for $60.00. Plug in a USB drive, and it does recording as well as providing an on screen guide. It will allow two streams at once. Pretty good bang for the buck.

Oh, also I like that I can watch AirTV on my phone anywhere outside my home network.... I am not 100% sure Amazon offers that (at least I don't think they did initially).

#345 4 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

Been almost 6 years since we cancelled cable. Antenna, Netflix and Amazon Prime for us.

Cancel antenna? Meaning you took it down from the roof? Or is there some pay service called "Antenna"? If it's just a roof antenna, what does it cost you?

#347 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I think you could set it up on your account, and use it as a stand alone OTA streaming experience. The reason for the tie into the account is to give it that seemless feel. All of your Prime Video PLUS OTA Antenna in one slick interface.
This is exactly how the airtv device I bought works with SlingTV, but they were smart enough to not require SlingTV to make it work as a standalone. I use the AirTV app on my Roku and phones, all without needing a Sling Account. The advantage is the seemlessness of the interface if I did use Sling- very similar to Amazon's offering.
Are you Amazon brand loyal? I bought a like new refurbed AirTV box last week from Amazon for $60.00. Plug in a USB drive, and it does recording as well as providing an on screen guide. It will allow two streams at once. Pretty good bang for the buck.
Oh, also I like that I can watch AirTV on my phone anywhere outside my home network.... I am not 100% sure Amazon offers that (at least I don't think they did initially).

I can watch the Fire Recast on any device that supports the Fire TV app (I’m using my iPhone; android works as well). I can view live broadcasts as well as my DVR stuff.

#348 4 years ago

I can watch the Fire Recast on any device that supports the Fire TV app (I’m using my iPhone; android works as well). I can view live broadcasts as well as my DVR stuff.

So are you saying if you had a Roku with a Amazon Video app, you can watch Recast on Roku?

#349 4 years ago

For my OTA DVR solution I've been having good results using Plex plus a post-processing script that calls MCEBuddy to transcode/compress and strip out the commercials all in one shot. Granted, Plex will skip the commercials for you without the extra app, but with the app you also can control what transcoding method you desire so I appreciate its flexibility.

Plex runs on a Win10 PC, into which I added an old spare hard drive for DVR storage. The lifetime Plex Pass goes on sale for around $75 and I think the license for MCEBuddy was $30. The rest of the setup was already there so I don't consider its cost part of this solution. For the OTA tuner I use an HDHomerun device.

#350 4 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So are you saying if you had a Roku with a Amazon Video app, you can watch Recast on Roku?

I don't believe that is the case. I looked around at all the different OTA options for quite a bit, and couldn't find anywhere stating that the recast would work within the Roku (currently). I believe it had to do with the transcode stream the Recast puts out compared to some of the others out there.

There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.