(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

63 days ago

Topic Stats

• 296 posts - Hot topic!
  • 92 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by vanilla
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 13 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

04A198F2-2597-4F77-AA8A-8C9659E25E1B (resized).jpeg
dtv (resized).PNG
d7fcee6b415809ac1ce29396896c3668f6d84e88.png (resized).jpg
812r9o678YL._SX355_ (resized).jpg
20170805_182351 (resized).jpg
antenna-to-house-ground-e1438393734206 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20190214-160614 (resized).png
2aac8988-2ddc-4f4f-888e-604b1646c637_1.4b87ec1208f28205400aa51c1676cb5f (resized).jpeg
UVerse Bill (resized).JPG
Screen Shot 2019-02-14 at 7.07.31 AM (resized).png
IMG_1408 (resized).jpg
IMG_1407 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).JPG

There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.
#201 33 days ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Wow the new directvnow plans SUCK. They have like half the channels but for $10 more a month!
Interestingly enough however, the previous plan I had was "grandfathered" in, and while the price went up $10, I can keep using the old plan and those channels.
I wish there was a way to stream AMC walking dead without needing one of these cable service providers. AMC seems to be the "holdout" for a lot of these - missing entirely from Hulu and now also missing from DirectvNOW, unless you got the plan that had it before they changed it.

Yeah, they are really bad. Their sticking point is that they dropped all of those channels, but now give you HBO as part of the package. Yet anoth terrible decision by DirectTV.

#202 33 days ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

But how much are you paying for cable?

~$160/month for Internet and Cable. I think I can get an Internet only plan from Comcast for ~$50/month.

1 week later
#203 23 days ago

Can you OTA antenna users post what you have and your distance from a major city or tower?

I am about 50 miles from the city of chicago. There are other towers closer, but they dont have all the channels I want at just one tower.

Im looking at a multi directional outdoor antenna possibly. I figure I can use my satellite's existing coaxial and run it to my TV. The only issue is getting ethernet to my TV so I can do an hdromerun box.

Im looking at this in the room with the router to make it easy:
amazon.com link »

OR

This on the roof with existing coaxial:
amazon.com link »

#204 23 days ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

Can you OTA antenna users post what you have and your distance from a major city or tower?
I am about 50 miles from the city of chicago. There are other towers closer, but they dont have all the channels I want at just one tower.
Im looking at a multi directional outdoor antenna possibly. I figure I can use my satellite's existing coaxial and run it to my TV. The only issue is getting ethernet to my TV so I can do an hdromerun box.
amazon.com link »
OR
amazon.com link »

I live in your area and I have an antenna like this on my roof. I get 90 channels.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/channel-master-compact-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/2926045.p?skuId=2926045

Buy them from a place where you can try them and if they don't work take them back. Fry's in Downers sells antenna too.

#205 23 days ago

amazon.com link »
OR
amazon.com link »

all no good get better ones , those are cheap crappy ones , get like this one http://antennasdirect.saveandreplay.com/Antennas_Direct_DB8e.asp

#206 23 days ago

amazon.com link »
OR
amazon.com link »

I have the second one you listed..... I am 45 miles west of Milwaukee, 35 miles east of Madison. I get 65 channels from both markets without issue. My best suggestion, regardless of antenna, is to get a good pre-amp to go along with your antenna(Especially if you are going to be using multiple tvs from one antenna).

I have this one- amazon.com link »

This pre-amp has allowed 20 channels to come in clearly that were suspect before.

#207 23 days ago

The only issue is getting ethernet to my TV so I can do an hdromerun box

Also, these work really well where you need a traditional ethernet port attached to a device....
amazon.com link »

#208 23 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Also, these work really well where you need a traditional ethernet port attached to a device....
amazon.com link »

I have one of these for my basement already. I dont think I can run more than 1 unfortunately.

Quoted from MRG:

I live in your area and I have an antenna like this on my roof. I get 90 channels.
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/channel-master-compact-outdoor-hdtv-antenna-black/2926045.p?skuId=2926045
Buy them from a place where you can try them and if they don't work take them back. Fry's in Downers sells antenna too.

Wow 90. Well done. Thats a big ass antenna for sure.

#209 23 days ago

I have one of these for my basement already. I dont think I can run more than 1 unfortunately.

Wow 90. Well done. Thats a big ass antenna for sure.

?????

I have 3 running on my network at home. I use them for different functions. In my "shed" I use one as a wireless extender, on my other two, I use them as traditional wireless/wire converters. They are just seen as wireless clients on your main router. I wouldn't give them the same SSID as your main router, I would give them all different SSIDs.

I am willing to bet the antenna you listed will do what you need. That big one seems insanely big. The only way I would go bigger is if I had lots of trees/line of site issues. If you have a somewhat open area, you will get the coverage you are looking for. I have experimented for years with different antennas (I have a trailer in the Dells with poor line of site that I keep trying different antennas with) and I still keep coming back to the Clearstream antenna with the Wineguard pre-amp.

#210 23 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

?????
I have 3 running on my network at home. I use them for different functions. In my "shed" I use one as a wireless extender, on my other two, I use them as traditional wireless/wire converters. They are just seen as wireless clients on your main router. I wouldn't give them the same SSID as your main router, I would give them all different SSIDs.
I am willing to bet the antenna you listed will do what you need. That big one seems insanely big. The only way I would go bigger is if I had lots of trees/line of site issues. If you have a somewhat open area, you will get the coverage you are looking for. I have experimented for years with different antennas (I have a trailer in the Dells with poor line of site that I keep trying different antennas with) and I still keep coming back to the Clearstream antenna with the Wineguard pre-amp.

OHHHH...I thought this was ethernet over AC, my bad.

I have this: amazon.com link »

Thx for that!

#211 23 days ago

You could just get a Tablo which connects over WiFi instead of Ethernet.

Or get a wireless bridge if you really need the HDHomeRun.

#212 23 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

amazon.com link »

Just keep in mind that an extender cuts the speed in half. So if you have 100Mbps at the router, when connected to the extender you'll only see 50Mbps.

#213 23 days ago

I milled around one morning and then just said I'm done!! That was April of 2017. No cable or mind hurting television. I haven't once , for any moment, regretted it.

#215 22 days ago

There are a ton of variables..... For me, the biggest variable is- How easy is it for my wife and kids to use? Will there be other users than just yourself?

#216 22 days ago

Just recently switched to Sling TV and couldn’t be happier. Get the Roku Ultra box for $100.00 bucks though, screw the firesticks. Sling doesnt work nearly as well with the firesticks as it does the good roku box. Spectrum can suck it as far as I’m concerned!

#217 22 days ago

For those maybe not fully into cutting the cord... Comcast's (xfinity) app is available as a Roku app so you can save yourself a $10/month box rental for a $30 1-time purchase for a Roku.

I recently purchased a Firestick and have had great success. Probably 1ish month away from cancelling my tv and going with firesticks everywhere and saving $80-100/month. I even found Paw Patrol and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for the kids.

#218 22 days ago

Plex on a Nivida Shield with a Homerun tuner for a OTA (over the air) DVR. For 'cable'...no brainer choice: Philo, ~43 good channels (no sports) all for only $16 month. Plex has limited file support tho. Had Sling...experienced a fair amount of buffering issues. Philo even has a DVR feature so you watch shows later, or even start watching the current show if you tune late. Philo has been nothing less than perfect for me. Has apps for all the popular streamers (Fire, Roku, etc.).

Kodi is super powerful and versatile (plays about every format), but setting it up is a little awkward (for me anyways).

https://try.philo.com/

https://www.plex.tv/

Amazon has 'Recast' (I think that's the name) for OTA DVR/Live TV - but I'm letting the dust settle on it for now since it's fairly new and only supports a Fire (no Roku).

I can elaborate more if needed, or maybe others can chime in as needed.

#219 20 days ago

I own a google nexus puck, a roku, and a firestick. The roku is the best of those devices, easily. If it supports all of the apps you'll use, I think that's the obvious choice.

#220 20 days ago
Quoted from Deaconblooze:

I own a google nexus puck, a roku, and a firestick. The roku is the best of those devices, easily. If it supports all of the apps you'll use, I think that's the obvious choice.

I have a mix of Roku and Fire device, and Roku I think has the best interface. A probably the most channels (including the the gazillion church channels) - there's just a lot of channels to chose from, and even more that aren't in the Roku Channel Store.

But I would like to add - Kodi won't run on the Roku directly. You can apparently Chromecast it from what I read. Last time I checked Kodi will load on the Firestick, but it might need to be 'sideloaded' (I think that's what it's called.). There was a way around the sideload tho. Been a long time since I used Kodi, things might have changed.

#221 19 days ago

Ive never looked much at how the directv installer put my dish in. I can see why I got hit by lightning a few years ago. He bypassed the grounding!

My question: If I reintroduce that grounding mount, is it properly grounded? The green wire grounds to the box of the electric meter.

My plan is to re-ground the line from the roof once I swap the dish out for the antenna. My directv turned off last night. Thats a first step!

04A198F2-2597-4F77-AA8A-8C9659E25E1B (resized).jpeg
#222 19 days ago

Not an electrician here, but an electrical engineer. The green wire does at least ground the coax, not adequate for lightning. Don't know the electrical codes, but I suspect grounding to the outside of a painted box doesn't meet the grounding codes. Just a WAG.

For lightning, you really need a devoted wire going to a ground rod. No sharp bends. Ideally a lightning arrestor too.

Those were just quick answers since i didn't have much time. Perhaps someone can elaborate further.

#223 19 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Not an electrician here, but an electrical engineer. The green wire does at least ground the coax, not adequate for lightning. Don't know the electrical codes, but I suspect grounding to the outside of a painted box doesn't meet the grounding codes. Just a WAG.
For lightning, you really need a devoted wire going to a ground rod. No sharp bends. Ideally a lightning arrestor too.
Those were just quick answers since i didn't have much time. Perhaps someone can elaborate further.

Gotcha. I didnt have the coax through my power conditioner before the hit we took. It is now, but I know thats not ideal.

Does any one ground their satellite dish? Seems like it should be a requirement when they put it in.

Any way, I figure the ota antenna is going to be the highest point of my house possibly once I mount it to the satellite’s pole. Seems like a good idea.

Now ill have to call julie so i can jam a rod in the ground right there and not die lol.

#224 19 days ago

Has anyone tried something called VustreamTV? A friend of mine said that it was a service out of Canada which provides a lot of stuff for about $25 a month. It sounds too good to be true, so I'd like to find out if anyone else has experience with it.

#225 19 days ago
Quoted from taz:

Has anyone tried something called VustreamTV? A friend of mine said that it was a service out of Canada which provides a lot of stuff for about $25 a month. It sounds too good to be true, so I'd like to find out if anyone else has experience with it.

Its an illegal IPTV provider just like the other illegal IPTV providers out there (vaderstreams,etc.). If you are getting 600 channels a month for $25, I can guarantee you it isn't on the up and up.

#226 19 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Its an illegal IPTV provider just like the other illegal IPTV providers out there (vaderstreams,etc.). If you are getting 600 channels a month for $25, I can guarantee you it isn't on the up and up.

Thanks! It figures, if it sounds too good to be true, then it must not be true.

#227 19 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Just speculating...is it a bunch of free crappy internet channels that you could watch free on your computer?

#228 19 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Just speculating...is it a bunch of free crappy internet channels that you could watch free on your computer?

Nope... channels offered on these pretty much include everything, including pay per view, and all premium channels that are add-ons on traditional subscriber mediums.

If your IP tv provider is recommending a vpn service to watch it, there is a good chance they arent legal.

#229 19 days ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

Nope... channels offered on these pretty much include everything, including pay per view, and all premium channels that are add-ons on traditional subscriber mediums.
If your IP tv provider is recommending a vpn service to watch it, there is a good chance they arent legal.

Thanks, never paid that much attention to those options. I mentioned prior that Philo at $16/month is what I use (~43 good channels). 600 channels...good heavens, I'd spend all my time deciding what to watch, then forgetting what I wanted to watch!

Wife watches Hulu, HBONow (because of GOT), and like everyone else we also have Prime and Netflix. Pluto is a pretty good free option when I want to check out Mystery Science Theater.

1 week later
#230 8 days ago

Any one have ATT DSL? Im contemplating upgrading from 12 mb to 24mb and buying my own modem/router (Pace 4111n). Would save me $80 a year by buying it.

They arent very up front with what modem/routers will work. Seems to be that they hide it so you have to rent them forever.

NO MORE!

#231 8 days ago

The saga continues...

Got on chat with ATT today to hash out the upgrade and if the equipment would work.

They offered to upgrade me at no additional charge..shifty....

Why dont they just do this automatically? Such a racket. Who doesnt want faster internet for the same price? I hate this game.

Back to chat to see if I can make a $50 modem/router work instead of paying them $80 a year for one....

#232 8 days ago

I find that if you buy a decent consumer router with wifi, expect it to work fine for 2-4 years tops, then buy a new one. They don't have long lasting power. Think, it's producing a radio signal non-stop for years, time to swap out!

#233 8 days ago

They just told me I HAVE to use their equipment, but they gave me a $10 lifetime credit.

I think theyre afraid to lose me because I said I was going to comcast when I canceled my directv....

Well see how this goes. Not holding my breath.

#234 8 days ago

They just told me I HAVE to use their equipment, but they gave me a $10 lifetime credit.
I think theyre afraid to lose me because I said I was going to comcast when I canceled my directv....
Well see how this goes. Not holding my breath.

I live in your area and had to go through the same ordeal for my Mom. You should get the 25 speed for $40. $50 - $10 credit. She has a bundle with Directv and a land line.

#235 8 days ago
Quoted from MRG:

I live in your area and had to go through the same ordeal for my Mom. You should get the 25 speed for $40. $50 - $10 credit. She has a bundle with Directv and a land line.

That will do for me. If its under $50 and its truly 24mb, I can live with that for now. Once my girls grow up though....Ill probably have to upgrade.

Thanks for the insight!

#236 8 days ago

Any one have ATT DSL?

DSL is still a thing?

#237 8 days ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

DSL is still a thing?

Yep...its all the rage still. They claim they can get 100mbps on dsl with the highest tier!

Copper is copper...

#238 8 days ago

I work directly with the equipment in the telecom industry. That would be a tough rig to get 100meg out of copper pr. You'd get more from coax.
With an isam (Nokia 7330 office eqpmt) you would need under a 900m loop length to get 25 meg with a 70meg ceiling (needed anyway) Companies are "bonding" pairs using two and putting them into a single modem to get 50meg on a copper pr.

#239 8 days ago

I stuck an HD antenna right where the DTV dish was a few years ago. Using the TIVO OTA HD DVR with lifetime sub, and hooked a small form factor PC like this one amazon.com link » to the projector to use Popcorn Time or any browser based stuff.

#240 8 days ago

I've found the Roku hardware to be indispensable for cutting the cord.

#241 8 days ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I stuck an HD antenna right where the DTV dish was a few years ago.

I did the same thing. I cut the cord completely back in January of 2012 and don't miss cable one bit. But, it was tough to get used to at first. I estimate that I've saved roughly $10,000 over the past 7 years.

#242 8 days ago
Quoted from TRC73:

I've found the Roku hardware to be indispensable for cutting the cord.

I have three Roku Ultras and a Roku 3.

I need to get a stick though for when I travel.

#243 8 days ago

Make sure that you check your bill in about a year the price may go up to match the new speed. Then you have to call them again and bitch.

They offered to upgrade me at no additional charge..shifty....

#244 8 days ago

This thread inspired me. I love directv, but the price has become ridiculous. Signed up for Hulu Live trial, all excited. I freaking hate it. No directory or menu. Crappy pic with cable internet and wireless modem (never had an issue with Netflix), hate the live broadcast menu-it’s in alpha order. Who the hell looks for channels like that-at least put the local channels in numerical order. Am I missing a way to reorder them?

#245 8 days ago
Quoted from northerndude:

I work directly with the equipment in the telecom industry. That would be a tough rig to get 100meg out of copper pr. You'd get more from coax.
With an isam (Nokia 7330 office eqpmt) you would need under a 900m loop length to get 25 meg with a 70meg ceiling (needed anyway) Companies are "bonding" pairs using two and putting them into a single modem to get 50meg on a copper pr.

I am also in telecom, I resell quite a few vendors different offerings. many ISP’s in rural areas offer excellent quality bonded VDSL with speeds 80-100MB. In the metro areas, DSL is being replaced by Fiber. But even with fiber, the speed and latency is most always choked to the home by the weak T-1 backhaul circuits feeding the neighborhood cabinets, PON’s & DSLAM’s.

#246 8 days ago

I tried Sling, I think. It was fine but I couldn't get past the lag when switching between channels. I flip around the dial constantly and the lag drove me crazy.

#247 8 days ago
Quoted from Gomer1969:

I tried Sling, I think. It was fine but I couldn't get past the lag when switching between channels. I flip around the dial constantly and the lag drove me crazy.

Wow, I had the same issue! I really wanted to like Sling but the lag drove me insane.

#248 8 days ago
Quoted from GGG:

I am also in telecom, I resell quite a few vendors different offerings. many ISP’s in rural areas offer excellent quality bonded VDSL with speeds 80-100MB. In the metro areas, DSL is being replaced by Fiber. But even with fiber, the speed and latency is most always choked to the home by the weak T-1 backhaul circuits feeding the neighborhood cabinets, PON’s & DSLAM’s.

Every inernal and external isam cabinet we run is fed by fibre, so nothing slows neighborhoods down. and we are slowly turning everything into FTTP (fibre to the prem)
I am literally tossing in new bays to install new fibre 7360's to get ready for FTTP in my community, which is awesome.

#249 8 days ago
Quoted from TRC73:

Wow, I had the same issue! I really wanted to like Sling but the lag drove me insane.

I posted earlier I had the same problem and switched to Philo. No issues and cheaper, but no sports - that's fine by me tho.

Sorry, I'm starting to sound like a Philo salesman, it's just that I'm very impressed!

#250 8 days ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Every inernal and external isam cabinet we run is fed by fibre, so nothing slows neighborhoods down. and we are slowly turning everything into FTTP (fibre to the prem)
I am literally tossing in new bays to install new fibre 7360's to get ready for FTTP in my community, which is awesome.

Maybe where you are in canada, but thats certainly not the case here in the rural western us with my telcos and providers...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 14.00
Cabinet - Decals
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 3.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
$ 22.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
$ 10.95
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 62.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 8,999.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 22.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 26.95
$ 90.00
Lighting - Led
Geeteoh Electronics
There are 296 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside