(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,653 posts
  • 171 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by pinwiztom
  • Topic is favorited by 77 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240704_150924 (resized).jpg
DSCN9169 (resized).JPG
Screenshot_2024-06-28-19-06-00-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
DSCN9163 (resized).JPG
BDA2DD82-796A-4DD1-826B-EC2652BABBEF (resized).jpeg
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 12-05-13 onn 4k pro backlit - Google Search (resized).png
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 11-58-36 onn. Google TV 4K Pro Streaming Device (New 2024) 4K UHD resolution Dolby Vision & Dolby ATMOS
FB_IMG_1578176110494 (resized).jpg
615vocUmQVL.jpg
DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,653 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 34.
#1601 59 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I don't understand exactly what Kodi is or does - I have Apollo TV iptv and Tivimate for the channel guide. I've loaded Kodi on my Firestick before but it always seemed to have issues so ibwas never able to explore it.
What does it do exactly? How is it different than an IPTV service?

In a nutshell, Kodi is just a very popular software video player app. After installing, you load repositories for all kinds of stuff (free TV, set up a DVR, music, etc.). What you want to do with with it is entirely up to you. Some 3rd party repositories can contain pirated movies, etc. Runs on PC's, can be sideload on google and Fire TV, Raspberry Pi, etc.

Probably not the best explanation. I personally don't use it but I have tinkered w/it in the past, but I was never a fan of the user interface. There's so much free and legal content nowadays I don't even bother w/Kodi.

#1602 59 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

In a nutshell, Kodi is just a very popular software video player app. After installing, you load repositories for all kinds of stuff (free TV, set up a DVR, music, etc.). What you want to do with with it is entirely up to you. Some 3rd party repositories can contain pirated movies, etc. Runs on PC's, can be sideload on google and Fire TV, Raspberry Pi, etc.
Probably not the best explanation. I personally don't use it but I have tinkered w/it in the past, but I was never a fan of the user interface. There's so much free and legal content nowadays I don't even bother w/Kodi.

It’s been around a long time (in tech world time). It originally started out as XBMC or Xbox Media Center. This was used as an interface to play local content on your TV. It was a much bigger thing then to do things like ripping DVD movies down onto a hard drive or server. Or ripping entire TV series for example. There was also a lot of downloading of content as well. It handles all types of media files so your collection of music files can be accessed as well. This is all built around a library database that brings in interface content such as movie posters, fan art, text descriptions and so forth.

It probably isn’t as popular or known these days because things evolved and with (almost) everything streaming now most people aren’t going to make the effort to manage local content. It does also however have the ability to hook into various third party tools such as IPTV. These are done with what is called add-ons.

You can do extensive customization to get the interface just how you like it. I have used it a fair amount over the years. The biggest problem I have had with it that it always seems that at some point, usually after an update is applied, the whole damn thing would fail and all my settings would be lost, forcing me to set everything up again. Really a pain to do and annoying.

There are lots of new developments in this area that I am not up on such as Jellyfin and others. I might get around to trying some of that out, as I still have a lot of local content sitting on a server. But with everything streaming all over the place nowadays, it’s easier to just go that route most of the time.

#1603 59 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

It’s been around a long time (in tech world time). It originally started out as XBMC or Xbox Media Center. This was used as an interface to play local content on your TV. It was a much bigger thing then to do things like ripping DVD movies down onto a hard drive or server. Or ripping entire TV series for example. There was also a lot of downloading of content as well. It handles all types of media files so your collection of music files can be accessed as well. This is all built around a library database that brings in interface content such as movie posters, fan art, text descriptions and so forth.
It probably isn’t as popular or known these days because things evolved and with (almost) everything streaming now most people aren’t going to make the effort to manage local content. It does also however have the ability to hook into various third party tools such as IPTV. These are done with what is called add-ons.
You can do extensive customization to get the interface just how you like it. I have used it a fair amount over the years. The biggest problem I have had with it that it always seems that at some point, usually after an update is applied, the whole damn thing would fail and all my settings would be lost, forcing me to set everything up again. Really a pain to do and annoying.
There are lots of new developments in this area that I am not up on such as Jellyfin and others. I might get around to trying some of that out, as I still have a lot of local content sitting on a server. But with everything streaming all over the place nowadays, it’s easier to just go that route most of the time.

Thank u for the explanations, both of you - I may play around with it someday again if I get REALLY bored, but I'll probably be fine without it, sounds like.

Thanks again

#1604 59 days ago

I saw the Onn PRO streamer boxes are actually in walmart local stores now.

Similar to the older 4K Onn box, but now: Backlit remote, WiFi6, USB3.0, Hardwire eithernet, Dolby Vision & Atmos and 32gb internal storage

So if you are tired of all the ads on your Roku TV menus & Youtube, or the menus have slowed down with bloatware over the years; this will give your TV a whole new, ad-free, brain for $50
Screenshot 2024-05-23 at 11-58-36 onn. Google TV 4K Pro Streaming Device (New 2024) 4K UHD resolution Dolby Vision & Dolby ATMOSScreenshot 2024-05-23 at 11-58-36 onn. Google TV 4K Pro Streaming Device (New 2024) 4K UHD resolution Dolby Vision & Dolby ATMOSScreenshot 2024-05-23 at 12-05-13 onn 4k pro backlit - Google Search (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-05-23 at 12-05-13 onn 4k pro backlit - Google Search (resized).png

#1605 59 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

The biggest problem I have had with it that it always seems that at some point, usually after an update is applied, the whole damn thing would fail and all my settings would be lost, forcing me to set everything up again. Really a pain to do and annoying.

I am having a similar problem with my Tablo 4th Gen 2-Tuner Over-The-Air (OTA) DVR.
At times, can not say it always happens after updates or not, but it will forget OTA channels that I had previously scanned for,
or it may show all the scanned channels in my channel guide lineup,
but when i go to watch a particular channel on Live TV, I get an error message saying can't download and play content.
But that only happens to certain channels at various times, while other channels boot up to play just fine.
To rectify, I have to reset the TABLO and rescan for channels again, basically setting up the device from scratch.

But the last time I did a reset, I noticed that if I waited about 2-3 seconds,
between each step to watch a certain live TV OTA channel, I had no problems;
in other words, scroll to a channel from channel guide, wait a couple seconds, then select the program I wish to watch, wait,
then select to watch that channel live (from the menu of several choices (I.E. record or program info or watch live etc.))
It seems like it is taking longer for the TABLO processor to fully get up to speed with each step with the tuning into live TV process.
Some of those issues may be related to the fact that the built-in memory on the Tablo DVR is about 85% full,
as I have more movies and TV content recorded to my device.

#1606 59 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I am having a similar problem with my Tablo 4th Gen 2-Tuner Over-The-Air (OTA) DVR.
At times, can not say it always happens after updates or not, but it will forget OTA channels that I had previously scanned for,
or it may show all the scanned channels in my channel guide lineup,
but when i go to watch a particular channel on Live TV, I get an error message saying can't download and play content.
But that only happens to certain channels at various times, while other channels boot up to play just fine.
To rectify, I have to reset the TABLO and rescan for channels again, basically setting up the device from scratch.
But the last time I did a reset, I noticed that if I waited about 2-3 seconds,
between each step to watch a certain live TV OTA channel, I had no problems;
in other words, scroll to a channel from channel guide, wait a couple seconds, then select the program I wish to watch, wait,
then select to watch that channel live (from the menu of several choices (I.E. record or program info or watch live etc.))
It seems like it is taking longer for the TABLO processor to fully get up to speed with each step with the tuning into live TV process.
Some of those issues may be related to the fact that the built-in memory on the Tablo DVR is about 85% full,
as I have more movies and TV content recorded to my device.

I have the same Tablo and haven't run into that problem. That being said, it has ample software bugs. For instance, it struggles to update the guide when I tell it to display favorites.

I run it on a Roku and an Nvidia Shield. The Shield smokes the Roku in terms of performance. It's very noticeable.

#1607 59 days ago

I am using a Roku with the Tablo app.
Using the Tablo primarily for ability to "broadcast" live OTA TV to all my TVs from my one good antenna. I able to get about 50 OTA channels. Only station I have trouble picking up is the local PBS stations.

#1608 59 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Similar to the older 4K Onn box, but now: Backlit remote, WiFi6, USB3.0, Hardwire eithernet, Dolby Vision & Atmos and 32gb internal storage
So if you are tired of all the ads on your Roku TV menus & Youtube, or the menus have slowed down with bloatware over the years; this will give your TV a whole new, ad-free, brain for $50
[quoted image][quoted image]

I posted a link about that a little earlier. I don't have the new one, but I have the $20 Onn 4K version...I'm still impressed. There's a bit a issue w/the new one, apparently several version of the remote are being included and not all are backlit or have the 'Free TV' button. Eventually, that's what they will all ship with (backlit + Free TV button).

I pretty much gave up on Fire Sticks, too pushy w/Amazon content. Still like the Ruko streamers.

#1609 59 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I posted a link about that a little earlier. I don't have the new one, but I have the $20 Onn 4K version...I'm still impressed. There's a bit a issue w/the new one, apparently several version of the remote are being included and not all are backlit or have the 'Free TV' button. Eventually, that's what they will all ship with (backlit + Free TV button).
I pretty much gave up on Fire Sticks, too pushy w/Amazon content. Still like the Ruko streamers.

I like my Rokus, just wish they had more horsepower.

The Shield clearly has a lot more horsepower, but some apps aren't supported (like Peacock, for example). Obviously the Shield costs a good bit more, but for the apps that are supported - it's a much nicer device.

#1610 59 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

but I have the $20 Onn 4K version...I'm still impressed.

I have the $20 4k one too.

Perfect for when I travel.

A USB3 port would let me go crazy

2 weeks later
#1611 39 days ago

You can now get the full schedule and where to watch / stream for the new MeTV Toons at:
https://metvtoons.com/wheretowatch/affiliate/803
The Stations / Services start on June 25th 2024.

Meantime I caught this OTA on Channel 54.3 in Los Angeles:
BDA2DD82-796A-4DD1-826B-EC2652BABBEF (resized).jpegBDA2DD82-796A-4DD1-826B-EC2652BABBEF (resized).jpeg
MeTV Toons will also be on Channel 27.1 in L.A.. This will most likely be the HD broadcast

1 week later
#1612 28 days ago

My girlfriend really likes the tv show On Patrol Live. I get that on my IPTV that I pay $84 a year for.

Lately the IPTV has been messing up, but we did watch The Sixth Sense movie on it the other night.

I get about 80 channels on my antenna, and some decent stuff there.

My girlfriend likes the Nightline tv shows, and some nights plenty of those are on antenna.

IPTV was messed up tonight, and no Nightline on antenna, so my girlfriend mentioned Pluto TV, and holy shit! They have a 24/7 channel for that, and we just watched a really good episode.

Pluto has an online guide on the internet, and probably also good with the tv remote, but I still am new at learning to navigate all of that with the remote.

For sure, best I can tell, Pluto has a lot less commercials than on antenna channels.

Long, boring rant over now.

#1613 28 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

Pluto has an online guide

Tubi ain't bad either (for Free)

#1614 28 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Tubi ain't bad either (for Free)

A couple of people now have told me that I should check out Tubi. I looked at it online while ago, and most is the same as Pluto, but I still think Pluto has many more channels than Tubi.

Plus, my tv remote has a button that says Pluto, doesn't get easier than that.

Anyway, does anyone here want to save some money on insurance?

As my bills on rental houses and everything else has been coming in, I have been switching to a company called Auto Owners and saving a lot of money.

If your home and auto insurance keeps going up, get a quote from them.

Yes, my deductibles are higher with Auto Owners, but saving me enough that it doesn't bother me.

#1615 27 days ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

A couple of people now have told me that I should check out Tubi. I looked at it online while ago, and most is the same as Pluto, but I still think Pluto has many more channels than Tubi.
Plus, my tv remote has a button that says Pluto, doesn't get easier than that.
Anyway, does anyone here want to save some money on insurance?
As my bills on rental houses and everything else has been coming in, I have been switching to a company called Auto Owners and saving a lot of money.
If your home and auto insurance keeps going up, get a quote from them.
Yes, my deductibles are higher with Auto Owners, but saving me enough that it doesn't bother me.

I watch both Tubi and Pluto often (Pluto is daily), just depends on the content I'm interested in. I'd cancel Netfilx and Hulu in a heartbeat but the wife watches them. Sort of stuck with Prime since I use the other perks, but Prime is getting a bit carried away w/ the price increases recently.

#1616 23 days ago

Well, my 8 month experience with Samsung is a bust. Although it has an over the air guide not requiring internet, that feature was lackluster at best.

Then turned it on yesterday and the left side was garbled colored lines like shown in this pic and then it just goes black. Same thing happens whenever I turn it on now. What a POS!

At least with Sony I never had this issue and they seemed to last forever. Anybody know where to get a Zenith?

DSCN9163 (resized).JPGDSCN9163 (resized).JPG

#1617 23 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Anybody know where to get a Zenith?

Screenshot_2024-06-28-19-06-00-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpgScreenshot_2024-06-28-19-06-00-23_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
#1618 22 days ago

Do they still make a wall mount for that thing?

#1619 18 days ago

Zenith was acquired by LG decades ago and I've never owned one of those. I always thought of it as an off brand like Samsung, and I had preferred the matte screen like Sony has.

After going to all three places today, it was the best option so I upgraded from 43 to a 50 inch. It has both a superior remote with real number buttons and a better over the air guide than Samsung. And also fit the smaller mount I already had.

Life's good and that's what I call a garage TV!
DSCN9169 (resized).JPGDSCN9169 (resized).JPG

#1620 18 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

Zenith was acquired by LG decades ago and I've never owned one of those. I always thought of it as an off brand like Samsung, and I had preferred the matte screen like Sony has.
After going to all three places today, it was the best option so I upgraded from 43 to a 50 inch. It has both a superior remote with real number buttons and a better over the air guide than Samsung. And also fit the smaller mount I already had.
[quoted image]

All of my tv's are Vizio, and I have been happy with them.

I am currently watching mostly channels my antenna gets at the moment, which is like 90 channels, but I only watch a few of them, and then a good bit of Pluto TV, all free and some channels there I like.

I do have an IPTV subscription that I pay $84.00 a year for, and only watch that for new movies, NFL games, and for current shows like Oak Island, Deadliest Catch, and Skinwalker Ranch.

Not too happy with the IPTV lately, it has been spotty lately, and caused me to miss Deadliest Catch and Skinwalker Ranch yesterday.

My friend that hooked me up with the IPTV dropped it over a year ago, because he watches a lot more there than I do and he was tired of the spotty stuff.

My friend is going to hook me up with whatever IPTV he is currently using soon, costs more he says, but works better.

Nice to have so many free and very low priced options these days. No need for a cable company or a dish for tv.

Also, no need for Amazon and Peacock and whatever else is out there, a good IPTV has all of that anyway.

#1621 18 days ago

All o-din needs is MeTv and MeTv Toons.
Once he sees that wave rolling in and hears that classic theme song blaring, it’s banquet time!

Congrats on the upgrade Spicoli!

#1622 17 days ago

I think my newest TV is a 60” 4k led 2016 samsung I got for $800. Its ok. I prefer my even older 1080p 55”sony full array led more. My wife and I use the first HD tv I ever bought in our bedroom still to this day. Its a sony 42” rear projection wega. Only replaced the lamp once ever. Works great with my roku stick.

#1623 17 days ago

Nimblepin has been touting LG for years all the time I was a Sony fan. Cutting the cord and going antenna only changed what I needed in a TV and LG fits the bill perfectly. Plus the guy at Costco said he sees far fewer returns and problems with LG than Samsung unless you go with their higher end models.

Another buddy said just buy a Hisense and save some money and replace it in five years. It also has an over the air guide. That said the LG has the best guide feature without the internet I have seen so far. I looked at those but they have real funky mounting points on the back and I couldn't use my existing one. Seems most other 50 inchers now use the smaller 8 inch square bolt pattern for smaller mounts because they are so light now.

#1624 15 days ago
Quoted from o-din:

I always thought of them as an off brand too until we were tv shopping and I read that they manufacture the LED screens for everyone except Sony, so no matter what you buy, it's half LG.

On July 4th we replaced the 10yr old 65" Samsung that had burned-in white spots with a 77" LG C3 OLED , on clearance Best Buy 1999.00. Had $350 in gift cards to use up, figured it may be the last one ever, so get a good one. No complaints - still figuring it out though. Heard the voice control remote is excellent but havent tried it. The colors, especially the deep blacks - well it's everything I read about OLED screens. Very nice picture. Havent hidden the cords yet...
20240704_150924 (resized).jpg20240704_150924 (resized).jpg

#1625 15 days ago

Just did my annual review and changed up all of my plans. Reviewed my Verizon Wirleless and downgraded from Super unlimted plus or whatever I was signed up for to basic unlimited for me, the wife, and a gizmo watch for the kids. Only thing that I can see that would really change is that I won't be able to use a mobile hotspot at the airport 2x a year. Added on Disney, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, HBO MAX all with ads for a total of... $17.60 per month. In the end, even with all that our monthly bill went $131.91 to 117.36. At the same time I was able to cancel our regular 4k subscription to netflix ($22.99) and Disney/Hulu/ESPN (24.99).
In summary, we are saving $50 per month, adding HBO, and getting commercials now.
We also have the Apple MLS package (wife watches Soccer) $99 per year and Paramount + billed annually (127.99).

Thats $36.80 per month for Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, ESPN, Paramount+, and Apple MLS.

The thing that is killing me is Directv Stream. Everyone here is into sports (but me) and thats 104.99 per month. Its an older grandfathered plan with 105 channels, but I'd cancel it in a heartbeat if it were not for local MLB, team USA soccer, and Olympics. Happy wife happy life though.

Internet here is cheap. I actually had them downgrade me from Gigabit as I figured out we'd never be able to use it. Paying 44.99 a month for 300MBPS internet.

#1626 15 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

[quoted image][quoted image]

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

Just did my annual review and changed up all of my plans. Reviewed my Verizon Wirleless and downgraded from Super unlimted plus or whatever I was signed up for to basic unlimited for me, the wife, and a gizmo watch for the kids. Only thing that I can see that would really change is that I won't be able to use a mobile hotspot at the airport 2x a year. Added on Disney, Hulu, ESPN+, Netflix, HBO MAX all with ads for a total of... $17.60 per month. In the end, even with all that our monthly bill went $131.91 to 117.36. At the same time I was able to cancel our regular 4k subscription to netflix ($22.99) and Disney/Hulu/ESPN (24.99).
In summary, we are saving $50 per month, adding HBO, and getting commercials now.
We also have the Apple MLS package (wife watches Soccer) $99 per year and Paramount + billed annually (127.99).
Thats $36.80 per month for Netflix, Disney+, HBO, Hulu, ESPN, Paramount+, and Apple MLS.
The thing that is killing me is Directv Stream. Everyone here is into sports (but me) and thats 104.99 per month. Its an older grandfathered plan with 105 channels, but I'd cancel it in a heartbeat if it were not for local MLB, team USA soccer, and Olympics. Happy wife happy life though.
Internet here is cheap. I actually had them downgrade me from Gigabit as I figured out we'd never be able to use it. Paying 44.99 a month for 300MBPS internet.

That's all a good way to go. I have been debating back and forth on the Verizon deal. The problem is, I just absolutely hate ads. I wish Verizon had some bundles like that for the no-ad versions. I'll probably just end up paying more, because, well, I hate ads, did I mention that?

However, I will say that in general, I am OK with ads if I can easily FF them. Unfortunately this is usually not allowed with these ad-based streaming services.

#1627 15 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I always thought of them as an off brand too until we were tv shopping and I read that they manufacture the LED screens for everyone except Sony, so no matter what you buy, it's half LG.
On July 4th we replaced the 10yr old 65" Samsung that had burned-in white spots with a 77" LG C3 OLED , on clearance Best Buy 1999.00. Had $350 in gift cards to use up, figured it may be the last one ever, so get a good one. No complaints - still figuring it out though. Heard the voice control remote is excellent but havent tried it. The colors, especially the deep blacks - well it's everything I read about OLED screens. Very nice picture. Havent hidden the cords yet...
[quoted image]

I have the same 77" LG C3 OLED. Its pretty nice.

#1628 15 days ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

That's all a good way to go. I have been debating back and forth on the Verizon deal. The problem is, I just absolutely hate ads. I wish Verizon had some bundles like that for the no-ad versions. I'll probably just end up paying more, because, well, I hate ads, did I mention that?
However, I will say that in general, I am OK with ads if I can easily FF them. Unfortunately this is usually not allowed with these as-based streaming services.

If you do the verizon add on, they are cheaper (8.80 each) on the wireless plan than on the fios (10 each) plan. No idea why.

#1629 9 days ago

I bought a 40in Element TV with Roku built-in from Target for under $250, about 6 months ago.
regretting it now as the processor in the TV is very weak (slow).
It tends to lock up more often than I would like or knock me out of a movie or show, and go back to the home screen for no reason.

Sometimes these disposable electronics are not worth the hassle,
But I would never spend >$1000 for a TV anymore.

#1630 9 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

I bought a 40in Element TV with Roku built-in from Target for under $250, about 6 months ago.
It tends to lock up more often than I would like or knock me out of a movie or show, and go back to the home screen for no reason.

I just paid twice that, but may be the last one I ever need.

#1631 9 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

The ONN boxes exist for that very reason.

TV software gets more and more bloated, with worthless ads and screensavers, until you buy a new TV for the "snappy processor".

The ONN boxes even let you load your own OS with no ads, even in YouTube.

Keeps your TV running fast until the capacitors dry up and the backlight falls

#1632 9 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

The ONN boxes exist for that very reason.
TV software gets more and more bloated, with worthless ads and screensavers, until you buy a new TV for the "snappy processor".
The ONN boxes even let you load your own OS with no ads, even in YouTube.
Keeps your TV running fast until the capacitors dry up and the backlight falls

Add to that some tvs periodically take and send screen shots back home. Best thing you can do with new tvs is update their software, block all traffic to them from your router and then use a dedicated streaming device. Great to hear the ONN boxes are so extensible and cheap.

#1633 8 days ago

I was hoping with the builtin Roku processor, it would ease the operation, making it easier for my wife to navigate, but turns out not really the case and it's glitchiness makes wife not happy. So I may buy an ONN and add it as external stream device via HDMI .
Though isn't the ONN basically a Google TV stream device, might not work with my wife, if she has to learn a new system to navigate, so may just get an external ultra Roku , ( with more snappy high powered processor) . How redundant!?! Whole reason I got the 40" Element was because it more easily fits on cabinet which TV sets on. Wife feels 43 or 50" is too big and says it's too big for the room. Tried to convince her that no TV is too big. Wife does not like change. Gets highly upset and overwhelmed when things change. Hates all new technology, but does not stop her from using it

#1634 8 days ago

When I switched about 18 months ago from basically DirecTV satellite service to Roku stream devices with content providers subscription services, she was upset and frustrated with the change. But after using it for a while liked the advantages of all the on demand content, especially Discovery+ programs. But hates the slow responses and load up times when "changing channels" and service providers.
She longs for the days of analog OTA TV when you turn on the TV set and it was basically instant on and when changing channels it did not take seconds to load or tune in .
She thinks cell phones and the Internet have destroyed our youth and culture. But she surfs the web shopping as much as anybody.

#1635 8 days ago

Even with a Roku TV, the OTA stations instantly resolve when you change channels.

It's only the streaming channels that take a second to load .

Remember to always hardwire your TVs, don't let them run slow while clogging up your wireless network.

The ONN boxes are good for wives, because you just speak to the remote "smiling friends" and it will find and play it

#1636 8 days ago

Due to not having an OTA antennae hardwired to all TVs in the house,
we rely on Tablo app and Sling Anywhere TV system to get OTA channels.
My wife religiously uses her Roku Pro remote to talk to the TV to find programming,
but it still takes seconds and several further clicks to actually select the program at times.
Unfortunately my 100 yr old house is not wired for ethernet wiring,
to cut down on those lag times & clogging of the wifi network.
It might be advisable for us to move my wireless Verizon 5G home internet network router
to be nearest the TV we use most so that it can be Ethernet connected
hoping that its placement is still central enough to cover the rest of the house with decent wifi service.
Maybe even get a second separate 5G home internet account to obtain an additional 5g wifi router
to assist in coverage, since we have a big house with TVs all over
Basement, Main floor, and 2nd floor covering 4000 sqft,
with lots of brick, lathe & plaster, and glass french doors
that tends to block/hamper wifi signals

#1637 7 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Due to not having an OTA antennae hardwired to all TVs in the house,
we rely on Tablo app and Sling Anywhere TV system to get OTA channels.
My wife religiously uses her Roku Pro remote to talk to the TV to find programming,
but it still takes seconds and several further clicks to actually select the program at times.
Unfortunately my 100 yr old house is not wired for ethernet wiring,
to cut down on those lag times & clogging of the wifi network.
It might be advisable for us to move my wireless Verizon 5G home internet network router
to be nearest the TV we use most so that it can be Ethernet connected
hoping that its placement is still central enough to cover the rest of the house with decent wifi service.
Maybe even get a second separate 5G home internet account to obtain an additional 5g wifi router
to assist in coverage, since we have a big house with TVs all over
Basement, Main floor, and 2nd floor covering 4000 sqft,
with lots of brick, lathe & plaster, and glass french doors
that tends to block/hamper wifi signals

I have a very similar setup. Each TV has a dedicated Roku, and Tablo is used to stream to those TVs over WiFi.

Sure it takes a few seconds for channels to load on the Tablo, but I accredit that to the Tablo locking in and buffering before the stream starts. I know this because it can lock onto 2 channels (it has 2 tuners). If I’m just flipping between 2 channels (which it has “locked” onto), the load time for the channels is near zero.

My point of all this. Is WiFi vs. hardwired really a big deal anymore, assuming the WiFi signal is decent? It isn’t in my house. We run all TVs, a PS5, cell phones, iPad, etc. off one WiFi network on a basic internet plan without any problems at all.

YMMV

Edit: I should have added; my Tablo “puck” is also on WiFi and at the outer edge of the signal. I put it in my son’s bedroom simply because that was the most convenient place to drop an RG6 cable from the attic for an antenna. Well worth it, btw. The stability of the OTA channels is excellent with the attic antenna.

#1638 7 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

Sure it takes a few seconds for channels to load on the Tablo, but I accredit that to the Tablo locking in and buffering before the stream starts. I know this because it can lock onto 2 channels (it has 2 tuners). If I’m just flipping between 2 channels (which it has “locked” onto), the load time for the channels is near zero.

Now that makes some sense to me now,
with the fact that when using the Tablo (app) to watch OTA TV
with my 2 tuner Tablo, I am only able to see (lock into) the first two channels
that I attempt to tune into, and I can switch back and forth between those two fairly consistently
but when i want to watch a different 3rd or 4th or any other channel
it does not allow me, i get the error playback live failure message.
It does not seem to want to unlock into those first 2 tuned in channels.

#1639 6 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Now that makes some sense to me now,
with the fact that when using the Tablo (app) to watch OTA TV
with my 2 tuner Tablo, I am only able to see (lock into) the first two channels
that I attempt to tune into, and I can switch back and forth between those two fairly consistently
but when i want to watch a different 3rd or 4th or any other channel
it does not allow me, i get the error playback live failure message.
It does not seem to want to unlock into those first 2 tuned in channels.

That's strange. Mine will go to the "3rd" channel, but it takes about 10 seconds for it to spool up the stream.

IIRC, the latest Tablo has 4 tuners. Not worth it to me to upgrade though.

I do wish the Tablo was more robust, especially the Roku app. It's still buggy as hell and not well implemented. =(

#1640 6 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

I do wish the Tablo was more robust, especially the Roku app. It's still buggy as hell and not well implemented.

When I first got the Tablo it seemed to work fine, and tuned in and changed channels (at least Strong signal OTA channels)
without many problems but with time things got worse.
I think part of problem is when my internal memory on the Tablo for DVR recordings got towards >75% full.
I have had slightly more luck, when using the Tablo app thru my google TV stream device.

#1641 6 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

When I first got the Tablo it seemed to work fine, and tuned in and changed channels (at least Strong signal OTA channels)
without many problems but with time things got worse.
I think part of problem is when my internal memory on the Tablo for DVR recordings got towards >75% full.
I have had slightly more luck, when using the Tablo app thru my google TV stream device.

When I run the Tablo app on my Nvidia Shield, it's much smoother. And has better features.

Roku, dud.

#1642 6 days ago

Update is I am getting jacked around by Costco and Samsung with their great warrantee on their piece of shit TV. Costco won't take it back until I receive an e-mail from Samsung after their tech comes out and looks at it and tries to fix it. Samsung tech doesn't show up in the four hour window when he is scheduled to come out and look at it.

#1643 6 days ago
Quoted from PinJim:

My point of all this. Is WiFi vs. hardwired really a big deal anymore, assuming the WiFi signal is decent?

I have problems streaming some channels with a low signal over wifi with the HD Homerun. I have to turn on the same channel on a client that is wired for the channel to be streamable over wifi. I also have a ton of problems with streaming 4k content with a high bitrate over non wifi 6+ clients.

#1644 5 days ago

A Lot of the problem with my Tablo is likely the Signal Strength of my OTA antennae
that it was currently hooked up to.
It pulls in the channels and on the TV which I have this OTA antennae hardwired to
I can view most of the channels just fine with little or no pixilation, but when the same antennae is hooked to the Tablo
it has difficulty sending those same channels thru wifi and the tablo app to my other TVs thruout the house
that are hooked up to a Roku device.
I have since attached the Tablo wifi DVR device to another better OTA antennae, which pulls in a few more channels
plus the other same channels I got before with the original OTA antennae, but now come in stronger
which now allows the Tablo to send channels thru my wifi to my Roku devices,
with fewer channels getting the Playback failure message.

So obviously individual channel signal strength is key, (which many have said previously).
On the Tablo, when doing a channel scan, when it pulls in the channels
it has a channels found list and there is a signal strength chart
with 4 stacked dots, and supposedly the strong signal channels will have 4 dark green dots
moderate signal channels have 3 light green stacked dots
and weak channels have 2 orange dots.
I have found that even some of the 4 dark green dot strong signal channels will still not
transmit via wifi thru the Roku Tablo app.
Like other have said before, other streaming devices seem to have better performance with the Tablo app
and even some of the Roku devices perform better than other Roku devices, (i.e. compare the Ultra Roku to a economy Roku device).

I do have a Fire TV stream device that I have not even hooked up to any TV yet, so may give that a try.
My one Google TV device does seem to out perform any Roku device I have when using the Tablo app.
I just like the Roku devices, more for its other features like its user interface and ability to upload more different streaming apps.
My other option is to finally use my still in the box Sling Anywhere TV wifi DVR
that supposedly will also allow one to send OTA channels to any TV that has a
streaming device and has uploaded the Sling free TV app.

#1645 5 days ago

Every time you split an antenna feed, you lose 3db of signal strength

So you could loose quite a bit if you have a few TVs and stereo receivers in the house.

Mount your antenna as high as possible, and use RG6 or better wire

If you have a really strong signal, it's not an issue; but if you have a marginal signal to begin with.....

#1646 5 days ago

For my setup, I have an attic mounted antenna pointed in the direction of the towers. It has a single RG6 that goes straight down the wall, to a receptacle, and to the Tablo. It's a short run without any splitters.

Yet, the Tablo still has issues at times. For instance, last night it decided to hang on the loading screen (Roku) and eventually brought up the QR code as though the Tablo wasn't set up yet. It did that three times, and on the fourth time decided to work correctly. Once it was working, smooth sailing.

The other nagging issue is the channel guide, which if I understand correctly, the data is sourced from the internet. It defaults to "All Channels". If I tell it to switch to favorites, it acts as though it has to load the data again (shitty programming, or a Roku OS limitation) or just fails to load the channel guide for favorites altogether.

Leaving the app and reloading it often fixes the above issues.

Note that on the Nvidia Shield, it doesn't have the channel guide issues.

Again, could be limitations with the Roku OS. Not sure. But it's buggy and doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Despite all that, it kept me from having to run RG6 through every wall in my house, so that's a win. At the end of the day, it serves a valuable function.

I do wish it supported ATSC 3.0, but that's another topic that could have its own thread. Talk about a botched implementation. SMH. So much potential.

#1647 5 days ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Every time you split an antenna feed,

Current better antennae setup has signal only spilt (divided) once
Straight to one TV and other into the Tablo
(to distribute signals to other TVs via wifi & App thruout the house).
Basically a short direct run from new Antennae to both devices.
With old OTAntennae set up, the signal was spilt at least 3 times with much longer runs.

I am about 45-50 miles from most TV Station towers.
I get about 50-60 channels strong enough to view (direct) on TV,
but only about half will now transmit thru wifi via Roku Tablo app.

#1648 5 days ago
Quoted from pinwiztom:

Current better antennae setup has signal only spilt (divided) once
Straight to one TV and other into the Tablo
(to distribute signals to other TVs via wifi & App thruout the house).
Basically a short direct run from new Antennae to both devices.
With old OTAntennae set up, the signal was spilt at least 3 times with much longer runs.
I am about 45-50 miles from most TV Station towers.
I get about 50-60 channels strong enough to view (direct) on TV,
but only about half will now transmit thru wifi via Roku Tablo app.

I'm a RF engineer. You might want to try a Low Noise Amp (LNA) if you have a pretty long cable run. You mount the small amplifier module right at the antenna. The power supply module can be mounted at the other end of the cable (power runs thru the cable to the amplifier).

The Tablo has a built in amp. You can see if turning it on helps. Not nearly as good as an LNA but just try it for the heck of it. On the flip side, when turning on the amp, it might get overload if a signal is already decent. Look at post my post 1020 for a long winded antenna/LNA discussion.

A quick test would be to remove the splitter and see if you pick up any additional channels. How long is the coax?

Not sure what is up with the Wifi comments. Whether you have 4 dot for channel strength signal vs. 3 - it the same signal WiFi signal.

#1649 4 days ago

I have my OTA antenna w a small amplifier hooked directly to my Fire cube, and the router hardwired ro it also, and always get a message that he OTA picture "may be poor due to low signal strength".

#1650 4 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Not sure what is up with the Wifi comments. Whether you have 4 dot for channel strength signal vs. 3 - it the same signal WiFi signal.

I think it has to do with the processor used
maybe not having enough processing power to decipher a weak channel signal
in order to produce a decent viewing picture.
Wifi will send info regardless, but processor at the stream device end does not have capacity to do anything with it
if signal is not strong enough to begin with.

There are 1,653 posts in this topic. You are on page 33 of 34.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.