(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG
There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 32.
#51 5 years ago

At tvfool.com you can get an analysis of what OTA signals are available at your address. Here's what the output looks like:

TVFool for Rob's HouseTVFool for Rob's House

I only recently learned about the site so I don't have deep understanding of the chart yet, but there are directions on the site. The circle is directional for the channels in the table and the colors are the type of antenna you are likely to need to pick up said signal. I think Green equates to the paper clip shown above.

At a high level I think it means my attic antenna is orthogonal to optimal orientation... figures.

-Rob
-visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from DeeGor:

Usenet runs about $7/mo, and you can pretty much find everything on there. Stream to all your TVs / devices using plex.

this... although there is some techie mucking around with it sometimes, you can get/find whatever you want. just google, PLEX, Sonarr, and Couch Potato.

as for OTA, from where I am located, I would need a LONG RANGE" hd antenna to get local channels, the only thing I really wanted local for was the NFL. but with all of their shenanigans the last couple of years, I basically quit watching. even bailed on the last two super bowls.

Thought I would miss it, but like others have said, it has allowed me to get more stuff done with my PB collection! WINNING!!

#53 5 years ago

A good compromise to cutting the cord completely is Spectrum's streaming service if it's available in your area. It's basically a Spectrum TV streaming app that has around 25 channels including locals and ESPN and also gives you all the HBO's or Showtime channels for $20/month. I've been using it for a few years' and between that, Netflix and Amazon Prime feel that it covers almost all of my entertainment needs. the only thing I wish it had was Big10 network and Fox Sports for Brewers games. It seems like a good value, especially since it includedes HBO GO which is usually $15 by itself. And when I ordered they even sent me a free Roku device. It doesn't seem like Spectrum likes to advertise that this is available.. probably because they make a lot less off of it than their regular TV packages.

https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-stream/

#54 5 years ago

Is there any simple solution for live tv besides local OTA? If it was just me I could easily cut the cord. I've had a HTPC for years and recently just got a nvidia shield for all my streaming apps. However my wife likes to watch shows on the history channel, bravo, food network, discovery channel, etc. I don't want to make it complicated for her to watch these channels and it's why I haven't really considered cutting the cord yet. But paying $250 a month for fios gets old.

#55 5 years ago

Here's my setup:

Comcast Gigabit (1-Gbps down/35-Mbps up)

OTA antenna connected to Tablo allows me to stream OTA to any TV in the house. Tablo connects via WiFi, HDHomeRun over Ethernet. Just keep that in mind. 1-TB USB drive connected to Tablo for DVR.

Roku attached to all TVs in the house.

Plex Media Server running on a Western Digital NAS. I use it mainly for streaming music but I also ripped my entire DVD collection of movies and TV shows for streaming.

Hulu Live TV for cable channels

NetFlix. Although I would cancel it if it weren't for the wife and kids.

Amazon Prime

There's a ton of channels and a ton of content available for streaming on Roku. Some of my favorite free channels are YouTube, PlutoTV and CBS Sports HQ.

#56 5 years ago

It feels so good to cut the cord! Did so many years ago and life is much better! Enjoy

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Is there any simple solution for live tv besides local OTA?

You really just need to look at the channels available on streaming services like Hulu, Sling, YouTube TV, Philo, Playstation Vue, Fubo etc and pick the one that has the best package.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

You really just need to look at the channels available on streaming services like Hulu, Sling, YouTube TV, Philo, Playstation Vue, Fubo etc and pick the one that has the best package.

Do any of them allow you to watch weekly shows? For example watching something like TWD or Gold Rush. Don't really want to wait till the end of the season for them to all becomes available.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Do any of them allow you to watch weekly shows?

Yes. It's just like having cable.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Here's my setup:
Comcast Gigabit (1-Gbps down/35-Mbps up)
OTA antenna connected to Tablo allows me to stream OTA to any TV in the house. Tablo connects via WiFi, HDHomeRun over Ethernet. Just keep that in mind. 1-TB USB drive connected to Tablo for DVR.
Roku attached to all TVs in the house.
Plex Media Server running on a Western Digital NAS. I use it mainly for streaming music but I also ripped my entire DVD collection of movies and TV shows for streaming.
Hulu Live TV for cable channels
NetFlix. Although I would cancel it if it weren't for the wife and kids.
Amazon Prime
There's a ton of channels and a ton of content available for streaming on Roku. Some of my favorite free channels are YouTube, PlutoTV and CBS Sports HQ.

Very nice setup. and yes, if this stuff was just for us nerds, no reason to keep the big boys around, however sometimes for other family members you need the turnkey solutions that simply work with no fuss....

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

Very nice setup. and yes, if this stuff was just for us nerds, no reason to keep the big boys around, however sometimes for other family members you need the turnkey solutions that simply work with no fuss....

That's the key -- you can get maximum savings and flexibility going the Usnet route, but for many of us it's worth paying a bit more for a slick UI and trouble-free operation for the whole family.

#62 5 years ago

Just cut the cord.

In a month, you will not even worry about missing a few boring games.

Use the money you save to buy a new 4K TV. They all have Roku and Netflix built in, so you just have a single remote for everything.

Internet + OTA = Win

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just cut the cord.

instructions unclear. new born son is now a daughter... would NOT recommend vid's home-birth tutorial...

#64 5 years ago

I'll post my U-Verse Bill because it's crazy cheap for internet and cable. I'm not sure WHY it's this cheap or how I managed to get it to where it is, but this has saved me SO much money over the past year and half or so.

I talked AT&T into giving me the following plan forever. No contracts or "yearly discount" bullshit where I have to call and "threaten to cancel" to get my deal back. It's been this price for well over 18 months now.

I also have a 6TB drive with all my movies and shows and a Plex network setup in my house.

We also sub to Netflix and Amazon Prime. We grab Hulu during the Olympics so we can stream that, but otherwise, it's Netflix and Prime (which we don't really watch anything on, just use the free shipping).

UVerse Bill (resized).JPGUVerse Bill (resized).JPG
#65 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just cut the cord.

In a month, you will not even worry about missing a few boring

Having made this leap, I'm amazed at how much I don't miss any of the 'important' things and in hindsight how vapid and passive my tube time had become. Now I just hypnotize myself with machining videos on YouTube and pour a few dollars to actual people via patreon. BTW Add free YouTube premier is a dream. I never have to see the same idiot adverts between interesting points of what ever I'm watching ever again.

#66 5 years ago

I use a Tablo with a usb hard drive as a DVR. Connect it to my antenna and router and install the program on my Roku stick and I got OTA channels wireless. It works very well.

#67 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Just cut the cord.
In a month, you will not even worry about missing a few boring games.
Use the money you save to buy a new 4K TV. They all have Roku and Netflix built in, so you just have a single remote for everything.
Internet + OTA = Win

Agreed. We bought a Roku TV last year and use the internet streaming stations combined with OTA. A little trouble with one particular desired channel that gives us a little trouble because of interference from our neighbors to the north (CAN) although I have to say our expectations our probably too great for the indoor antenna - I really should use an outdoor roof antenna for that. My wife has found new joy in many of the local OTA stations as well. Despite the small issues, there's a heck of a lot of TV out there with the cord cut, at about 1/3 of what our cable bill cost.

#68 5 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Is there any simple solution for live tv besides local OTA?

Hulu.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Use the money you save to buy a new 4K TV.

I just recently bought a 55" 4K TV from Costco for a few hundred dollars. I don't watch anything in 4K though.

#70 5 years ago

I have Dish Network with 3 of their DVR’s (the best UI in the biz, IMO). Trialed both TiVo and Amazon’s new Fire DVR, both paled in comparison to Dish’s DVR’s.
The included Dish Anywhere App also allows streaming and DVR control anywhere I have internet.

So my current line up is:
Dish top 200 $75/month including taxes. Which includes 3 STB’s w/DVR, no locals through Dish (you save $12/month).
Blonder Tongue OTA yagi antenna for locals, I can record all locals on my DVR’s with all guide info.
Century Link GPON Fiber internet 40MB down/ 5MB up $40/month price for life, taxes included.
Netflix 4K, $13/month (May choose to prune this now with their new price increase to $16 coming in 3 months).
Amazon Prime Video 4K free (included with Prime). 3ea 4K Amazon Fire Sticks.

Total Monthy cost for TV/Content/Internet only $128 ($1536/year). i can live with that for the value I get...

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

A good compromise to cutting the cord completely is Spectrum's streaming service if it's available in your area. It's basically a Spectrum TV streaming app that has around 25 channels including locals and ESPN and also gives you all the HBO's or Showtime channels for $20/month. I've been using it for a few years' and between that, Netflix and Amazon Prime feel that it covers almost all of my entertainment needs. the only thing I wish it had was Big10 network and Fox Sports for Brewers games. It seems like a good value, especially since it includedes HBO GO which is usually $15 by itself. And when I ordered they even sent me a free Roku device. It doesn't seem like Spectrum likes to advertise that this is available.. probably because they make a lot less off of it than their regular TV packages.
https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/spectrum-tv-stream/

So what's the price breakdown for the Spectrum streaming service and internet? I'm paying Spectrum ~$150/month for 100/10 internet, mid-tier channel package + HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I also use Tivo so no hardware fees other than ~$3 for a cable card.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

I just recently bought a 55" 4K TV from Costco for a few hundred dollars. I don't watch anything in 4K though.

4K OTA broadcasts are still years away. Netflix and Amazon Prime have some 4K streaming content if you have decent internet. Otherwise you'd be looking at 4K Bluray or video games.

Even with 4K source material the bigger visual impact probably comes from the HDR color processing on newer TVs (which of course requires source material with an HDR component) rather than from the increased resolution.

FWIW, I find that the 4K offerings on Netflix and Amazon definitely look better than lower resolution content (or streaming from HBO, which doesn't offer 4K).

#73 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

So what's the price breakdown for the Spectrum streaming service and internet? I'm paying Spectrum ~$150/month for 100/10 internet, mid-tier channel package + HBO, Showtime and Cinemax. I also use Tivo so no hardware fees other than ~$3 for a cable card.

I have Internet/Cable/Phone bundled right now for about 85 total. Same thing, I have a cable card, and premiums (at least HBO, I had the others but never watched anything on them).

Edit - nevermind.. I guess I'm paying 130 after further review. 30 of it is phone (my wife insists on it, and I use it for work), and 16 is other charges and taxes. My other charges is also higher than I thought. I'm gonna need to check into this.

#74 5 years ago

Lived in 2 houses and also 30 years later and $60K in savings , I have never paid for one single day of cable , OTA is great , get about 25 plus channels all in high def , and use internet on the smart TV to watch documentaries

#75 5 years ago

Since you are close by- check out metronet. They just laid cable last year in the area- they were (and might still be) running some great pricing- I'm on a gigabit connection for $50. I don't watch tv, so I don't know about that side of things. They have been rock solid so far with no issues.

#76 5 years ago
Quoted from VectorGamer:

Roku has lots of free 4K content, and of course Netflix and Amazon Prime has it too.

#77 5 years ago

Phone is the biggest scam of the entire cable bill.

It looks like it's only $33 a month, but then at the bottom of the bill there are $18 in **taxes** .

All for a phone line that nobody ever calls except for telemarketers that got the number from the Facebook app.

If your landline is sacred for some reason ("I've had the same # for over 30 years....I can't get rid of it, my 80 year old aunt won't be able to call at Easter"), pay a one time $20 to have it transferred to Google Voice - then it's forever free as a 2nd number on your cell.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Roku has lots of free 4K content, and of course Netflix and Amazon Prime has it too.

I'm only aware of Roku's "4K Theater" channel (or whatever it's called) and there's not much there and it's just links to 4K YouTube videos. NetFlix charges extra for 4K and I don't use Prime much to be aware of what they're offering.

I just remembered that NASA has a 4K channel.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from luch:

Lived in 2 houses and also 30 years later and $60K in savings , I have never paid for one single day of cable , OTA is great , get about 25 plus channels all in high def , and use internet on the smart TV to watch documentaries

I get about 15 channels OTA. And I watch sports more than anything on TV. And in that regard OTA doesn't cut it.

#81 5 years ago

I am in the process of switching over. What are you guys doing for over the air antennas? If using them outside, how high is a good height?

#82 5 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

I am in the process of switching over. What are you guys doing for over the air antennas? If using them outside, how high is a good height?

Higher the better, but at least higher than the garage roof, so you have a clear shot at the where the towers are.

A great antenna that goes on sale all the time for $50, is the Channel Master CM-4228

Super lightweight, almost invisible, and of course guys have made tons of mods to it already.

2aac8988-2ddc-4f4f-888e-604b1646c637_1.4b87ec1208f28205400aa51c1676cb5f (resized).jpeg2aac8988-2ddc-4f4f-888e-604b1646c637_1.4b87ec1208f28205400aa51c1676cb5f (resized).jpeg
#83 5 years ago

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I cut the cord for about a year and re-connected. Here's why. I live with a family of 4. My wife loves to have the news on during the day like a radio (channels not available over-the-air). My son loves his Xbox and Netflix. My daughter loves Netflix and social media. I'm retired and watch a lot of TV including the Tennis Channel. My kids and I are avid tennis players, train almost daily and compete in USTA tournaments. My son also does MMA, so someone please don't advise me to get my kids out more and away from the TV

Anyways, the problem for me was Comcast caps internet usage and we would occasionally surpass the limit causing additional charges. This along with having occasional stuttering on PlayStation Vue while watching the Tennis Channel was annoying ( I have very fast internet service too). Having to click the remote a few more time to watch a program was somewhat annoying too (I know first world problems). I used over the air with Tivo, but let's be honest, you're viewing is very limited with local channels.

So, I'm back with Directv calling them every year, cancelling their service to be escalated to their retention dept for a better price. Yes, it's annoying, but I only have to do it once a year. It's nice to turn on the TV and instantly watch what I want to watch. My internet usage cut in half and no more penalty charges.

#84 5 years ago

Also note, that your old **fishbone** antenna from the 70s will still work for HDTV

If it's still up on your chimney, you can just use that.

#85 5 years ago

you guys not got "Sky" over there? prices seem crazy what your paying for tv/internet.

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Phone is the biggest scam of the entire cable bill.
It looks like it's only $33 a month, but then at the bottom of the bill there are $18 in **taxes** .
All for a phone line that nobody ever calls except for telemarketers that got the number from the Facebook app.
If your landline is sacred for some reason ("I've had the same # for over 30 years....I can't get rid of it, my 80 year old aunt won't be able to call at Easter"), pay a one time $20 to have it transferred to Google Voice - then it's forever free as a 2nd number on your cell.

If you need a land line, buy an Ooma. The only thing that is sometimes a little bit sketchy is FAX (I can pull it off sometimes, but don't count on sending 30 pages). Put that and your modem on a battery powered UPS and then you have an emergency phone line. You can port your number and never pay anything more unless you want "premium" features and long-distance or international calling.

If you pay more than $10/month for a home phone, you are volunteering to get robbed.

#87 5 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

I'm probably going to be in the minority here, but I cut the cord for about a year and re-connected. Here's why. I live with a family of 4. My wife loves to have the news on during the day like a radio (channels not available over-the-air). My son loves his Xbox and Netflix. My daughter loves Netflix and social media. I'm retired and watch a lot of TV including the Tennis Channel. My kids and I are avid tennis players, train almost daily and compete in USTA tournaments. My son also does MMA, so someone please don't advise me to get my kids out more and away from the TV
Anyways, the problem for me was Comcast caps internet usage and we would occasionally surpass the limit causing additional charges. This along with having occasional stuttering on PlayStation Vue while watching the Tennis Channel was annoying ( I have very fast internet service too). Having to click the remote a few more time to watch a program was somewhat annoying too (I know first world problems). I used over the air with Tivo, but let's be honest, you're viewing is very limited with local channels.
So, I'm back with Directv calling them every year, cancelling their service to be escalated to their retention dept for a better price. Yes, it's annoying, but I only have to do it once a year. It's nice to turn on the TV and instantly watch what I want to watch. My internet usage cut in half and no more penalty charges.

Must suck to be in a place where home internet data is capped.

My cell phone data plan doesn't even do that... (they reserve the right to throttle me, but have never actually done so to my knowledge).

#88 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I’ve considered an HD antenna myself. I put one up for my grandmother years ago and it worked great. The only thing I don’t know about and would need is to be able to record programs. And that I don’t know about, but if there are good recorders for over the air broadcasts I’d consider changing to an antenna.

Try one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Magnavox-MDR865H-Recorder-Digital-Tuner/dp/B015FOZCUS/ref=pd_sbs_504_1/147-4996599-9585009
There are also 1 Tb and 2 Tb versions.
Record on either the internal Hard disk, or onto a DVD. You can also record from the HD to the DVD drive to save recordings. ATSC tuner built in. HDMI output
I have two. One is an (used) older model that had a 160 Gb drive that I upgraded to a 1Tb drive.

Magnavox also made until recently a DVD recorder / VHS VCR that also had ATSC tuners that was the only VHS recorder that could record digital televisionoff the air onto a video tape. It's not as good as a recorder control wise, but it's great for copying your old video tapes to DVD.

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Higher the better, but at least higher than the garage roof, so you have a clear shot at the where the towers are.
A great antenna that goes on sale all the time for $50, is the Channel Master CM-4228
Super lightweight, almost invisible, and of course guys have made tons of mods to it already.[quoted image]

i have considered an outdoor antenna for years but then have to install it and ground it properly. Seems like way too much work for me to do myself...

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from rx3:

Yeah you are in the minority. I've got 100MBbs that actually tests higher, from Spectrum, at less than $50 a month. My son is a die hard gamer with the die hard gaming equipment- multiple PCs and game systems. My daughter talks live to her girlfriends and plays games, and my wife and I will stream a movie with my wife playing on her phone or tablet with all this happening, including running home control and security cameras. No data cap and no additional charges, and no glitches. Believe me, I get a screaming 17 year old boy on my hands if his games lag, even a little.

Your carrier may be mostly to blame, but don't overlook internal wiring and router. We have some top of the line gear on the inside of the house, because the first thing a carrier wants to do when you get a technical problem is to blame your home equipment and wiring.

#91 5 years ago

For recording OTA and streaming to any TV in the house:

Tablo 4 tuner
https://www.amazon.com/Tablo-4-Tuner-Digital-Recorder-Streaming/dp/B00MWLZR0I/ref=sr_1_3

1-TB USB drive for under $50
https://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HDTB410XK3AA-Canvio-Portable-External/dp/B079D359S6/ref=sr_1_4

Of course you can get a larger drive if need be. But for me, 1-TB is sufficient.

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

They still get you on Internet and taxes/fees but it still saves you some money. Internet is 200mb down. I should probably call and threaten to cancel to get my rate knocked down.

Screenshot_20190214-160614 (resized).pngScreenshot_20190214-160614 (resized).png
#93 5 years ago

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from henrydwh:

I bought a OTA antenna off Amazon and then hung it on the equipment from my old dish. Easy as pie and all the cables and everything was right there.

I cut the cord 7 years ago and don't regret it a bit. I don't miss any of the crap on cable a bit and it feels great knowing I'm saving over $120 a month, which was my bill when I cut.

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

i have considered an outdoor antenna for years but then have to install it and ground it properly. Seems like way too much work for me to do myself...

If you can fix a pinball machine, you can certainly install an antenna.

They don't weigh anything.

You ground it to the grounding rod abandoned from the old phone service, or the grounding rods from the electrical panel.

Once you ground it, your chimney will never get hit by lightning, as all the static is constantly dissipated to ground.

antenna-to-house-ground-e1438393734206 (resized).jpgantenna-to-house-ground-e1438393734206 (resized).jpg
#96 5 years ago

Don’t have cable internet which basically means I’m screwed. No problem with local OTA channels but that can get boring pretty quick. Will not subscribe to satellite internet. They punish you if they catch you using it with slower speeds.
Directv (Ugh) customer with unlimited Att cellular data. Fiber cable is 6 miles away.

#97 5 years ago

I live in the woods and somehow att uverse works but it isnt cheap. Not sure I could get any OTA channels or not. Im surrounded by trees but also about 175ft higher than everyo e else being on a large outcropping.

20170805_182351 (resized).jpg20170805_182351 (resized).jpg
#98 5 years ago

That's some premium Southern Missouri beer there. My buddies in college at Rolla felt like we were straight up pimping when we could afford to upgrade to Bush Light. Most nights it was Natty.

#99 5 years ago

Only the best round here!

#100 5 years ago
Quoted from PinDeLaPin:

Only the best round here!

... and don't get me started on the Stag beer parties. Oooof.

There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right/page/2?hl=newbieinkc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.