(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 53 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG
There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 32.
#1201 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I'll have to try moving the antenna around a little. I have it pointing the right direction, prob 35 miles from broadcast stations.
It just bugs me that the picture isnt as sharp as it should be.

I should have added an LNA might help with weak signals too. Sorry, I wasn't clear.

So on the channels that you sometimes get the message, do you the same message on the same channel after adding the amp (You mentioned this, but wasn't sure if it was the same station)? Is the amp right at the antenna (that's the preferred location)?

#1202 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

OK - so I put up a Weingard YA7000C (without the preamp) on my shed, its probably only 10' off the ground and now I can get 56 channels including LO and HI VHF.
Still need to work on my cable setup as I ran 75' from the shed - into the basement, then split the signal one to basement Sony and then a 30' run up to the living room LG. I have too much extra cable just bundled up so gonna have BIL make dedicated cables of the proper length.
Issue: The LG is pulling 56 channels and the Sony is only seeing 40 (most importantly missing PBS) obviously it cant be the antenna signal since they are coming from the same line and I originally only connected the basement TV so its not the splitter or the cable. Has anyone run into issues with specific TVs not seeing all the expected channels?

Different TV's have different sensitivities, some are simply better than others. Do you have an LNA or amp mounted at the antenna? Sounds like you don't but wasn't sure if you added your own.

If not, you are taking a big hit on loss from the cable, then another hit thru the splitter.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1203 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I should have added an LNA might help with weak signals too. Sorry, I wasn't clear.
So on the channels that you sometimes get the message, do you the same message on the same channel after adding the amp (You mentioned this, but wasn't sure if it was the same station)? Is the amp right at the antenna (that's the preferred location)?

Yes, amp is right at the antenna, and I get the message on the same channels that I was getting it on before.

#1204 1 year ago

I cut the cord officially today.My son has an xbox for gaming and has had it going from the cable box to his TV.I think it was hooked up with an ethernet connection.He can still play with wifi but without a 2nd box in his room is there any other way to hook in the xbox.He seems to think the cable is faster.

#1205 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yes, amp is right at the antenna, and I get the message on the same channels that I was getting it on before.

Thanks! A little bit of a tough call on maybe trying a LNA. No specs on the amp you have and I sure don't want you to spend (waste) money on something that might not help.

I guess try moving the antenna around (higher) like you mentioned and see if that helps and let us know how it went.

#1206 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Thanks! A little bit of a tough call on maybe trying a LNA. No specs on the amp you have and I sure don't want you to spend (waste) money on something that might not help.
I guess try moving the antenna around (higher) like you mentioned and see if that helps and let us know how it went.

THank you, and appreciate the input!!

#1207 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yep, i have gone back and forth between IPTV and xTremeHD - they're both very similar.
Forget KODI and all that other crap that crashes and disappears - I'll gladly pay $20 for the program guide, ability to record, etc etc etc.

What device do you install the vpn on when setting something like this up?

#1208 1 year ago

I dropped cable and went OTA/internet years ago, but just moved to a new place so time to start over. Now paying $30/mo for 200Mbps from Quantum Fiber (a CenturyLink subsidiary). And just installed this ChannelMaster "STEALTHtenna" on the roof. I used rabbitears.info to pick the best direction for my antenna (aimed it toward the cluster of channels I most wanted to pull in).

STEALTHtennaSTEALTHtenna

The new antenna fit perfectly on the mast from an old DISH network dish, which I was happy to toss away. And I hooked the antenna directly up to the existing DISH/Comcast coax (it had been both over the years) that runs through the house, so was nice not to have to run any new cable.

I'm getting 80+ channels in my basement home theater now. Obviously being right next to Denver I'm not a challenge case for cord-cutting, but I'm pleased with this setup and would recommend this antenna as relatively easy on the eyes and a solid rooftop option if you live in an urban area.

#1209 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I think that's one of the easiest ways to get live TV anywhere in the house, plus you get a DVR to boot. But Recast has been discontinued... I'm hoping they did that because an ATSC 3.0 version was in the works, but I'm thinking that won't happen.
Other option would be to get a HDHomeRun: https://www.silicondust.com/
[quoted image]

Thanks. Seems crazy that someone hasn’t made a device that converts ATSC to Wi-Fi, with dongles at each tv that convert it back, without dvr. Wish I was better at electronics. I’d try and design one….

#1210 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I cut the cord officially today.My son has an xbox for gaming and has had it going from the cable box to his TV.I think it was hooked up with an ethernet connection.He can still play with wifi but without a 2nd box in his room is there any other way to hook in the xbox.He seems to think the cable is faster.

MOCA adapters if the room has coax.

#1211 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Adding to @mcluvin's suggestion of MOCA, there is the 'internet over power line' option.

Don't know the ping time, but they mention gaming.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-Powerline-Pass-Through-TL-PA9020P-KIT/dp/B01H74VKZU/ref=sr_1_1

#1212 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Quoted from mbwalker:

Adding to mcluvin's suggestion of MOCA, there is the 'internet over power line' option.
Don't know the ping time, but they mention gaming.
amazon.com link »
[quoted image]

Thank You both

#1213 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Thank You both

Has your son checked the router to see if there's a gaming setting? Not sure exactly what that does, maybe lower latency or prioritizing bandwidth?

#1214 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Has your son checked the router to see if there's a gaming setting? Not sure exactly what that does, maybe lower latency or prioritizing bandwidth?

We will check that today,thanks

#1216 1 year ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

I use these and they work great.
amazon.com link »

So do you need only 1 of these
ethernet to router and coaxial to gaming tv ?

#1217 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

So do you need only 1 of these
ethernet to router and coaxial to gaming tv ?

You need a pair, one on each end of the coax. I use them to get internet from the basement router to the bonus room 2 floors up where the Wi-Fi was spotty for me. Or really just to have more wired connections since i had like 40 devices connected to my wi-fi.

I have some extras I'm happy to give away for shipping.

#1218 1 year ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

What device do you install the vpn on when setting something like this up?

Directly on the tv. I use PIA, it actually allows for up to 10 devices on one subscription.

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/

#1219 1 year ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

You need a pair, one on each end of the coax. I use them to get internet from the basement router to the bonus room 2 floors up where the Wi-Fi was spotty for me. Or really just to have more wired connections since i had like 40 devices connected to my wi-fi.
I have some extras I'm happy to give away for shipping.

I'd take him up on the offer. You can find these super cheap if you need to expand. Powerline adapters can work great, or not. Lot's of variables with powerline. Gigabit MOCA is probably way more than he needs. The ones I use are ~$60 each.

#1220 1 year ago

I picked up this antenna because of the 5 star rating I get about 50 channels many in English and clear as a bell

B6902FFE-BA83-48D6-B4EE-1DF0BE6B1E4D (resized).jpegB6902FFE-BA83-48D6-B4EE-1DF0BE6B1E4D (resized).jpeg
#1221 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I picked up this antenna because of the 5 star rating I get about 50 channels many in English

You'll find that all the best movies are on TeleMundo though.

#1222 1 year ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

The best weather ladies anyway…

#1223 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I picked up this antenna because of the 5 star rating I get about 50 channels many in English and clear as a bell
[quoted image]

Quoted from fosaisu:

Check Channel 2.3 in the bay area. It's "Movies!". They show a lot of good movies, always in their original aspect.
https://moviestvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/

#1224 1 year ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

Check Channel 2.3 in the bay area. It's "Movies!". They show a lot of good movies, always in their original aspect.
https://moviestvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/

yes,Im liking this channel

#1225 1 year ago

Godzilla movies today

#1226 1 year ago

Is there a tv guide anywhere for antenna and or firestick ?

#1227 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I use this for antenna
https://guidepluslabs.com/

#1228 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

On the computer, I use Titan TV. https://titantv.com/default.aspx

#1229 1 year ago
Quoted from MRG:

Godzilla movies today

Destroy all monster on right now in it's 2.33 wide aspect as well.

Quoted from mbwalker:

On the computer, I use Titan TV. https://titantv.com/default.aspx
[quoted image]

Great tool for finding what's on.

#1230 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Here's where a Tivo OTA with Lifetime Service is so nice. It takes care of all that with an easy to use interface that everyone in the family can understand. You can find them very cheap used compared to what they cost new. I just looked on Marketplace and there is a guy selling a Tivo Bolt with Lifetime and 5 Minis for $150. That's super cheap for what you get. And if it ever breaks Tivo will replace it with a refurb for ~$80. Don't quote me on that, but they've done this in the past.

1 week later
#1231 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Here's where a Tivo OTA with Lifetime Service is so nice. It takes care of all that with an easy to use interface that everyone in the family can understand. You can find them very cheap used compared to what they cost new. I just looked on Marketplace and there is a guy selling a Tivo Bolt with Lifetime and 5 Minis for $150. That's super cheap for what you get. And if it ever breaks Tivo will replace it with a refurb for ~$80. Don't quote me on that, but they've done this in the past.

Don't want to sound like I'm discrediting your Tivo experience, but I had a Tivo get wiped out by a lightning strike at the house. Direct hit to the roof, took out a lot of electronics (HDMI ports are apparently VERY susceptible). Tivo wouldn't xfer my Lifetime Service to a new unit so I said 'screw them'. Would have been covered by insurance, but just the arrogant attitude of that company to existing customers is appalling. Good bye and good riddance. Nividia Shield (I already had one) with Plex and a USB TV tuner and I'm back in the DVR business. Plus I can watch it on any the Roku and Fire TV.

Rant off.

#1232 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't want to sound like I'm discrediting your Tivo experience, but I had a Tivo get wiped out by a lightning strike at the house. Direct hit to the roof, took out a lot of electronics (HDMI ports are apparently VERY susceptible). Tivo wouldn't xfer my Lifetime Service to a new unit so I said 'screw them'. Would have been covered by insurance, but just the arrogant attitude of that company to existing customers is appalling. Good bye and good riddance. Nividia Shield (I already had one) with Plex and a USB TV tuner and I'm back in the DVR business. Plus I can watch it on any the Roku and Fire TV.

Rant off.

Officially, the lifetime service is for the lifetime of the device. There are plenty of examples of folks calling in and getting a much better offer than you experienced. Sometimes it takes a second call with another more flexible rep to make it happen. But if insurance would have covered it and you were making a claim for other devices anyway, why not let insurance cover it? In my 20+ years using Tivos, I've lost 1 hard drive and 1 HDMI port. I use Plex too, and have used TV tuners in PCs. They are not as family friendly to use or troubleshoot in my experience.

So many companies have an official policy, but a far more lenient one when you actually call them up. I've often received replacement devices or parts without even providing proof of purchase. The support reps never asked for it.

#1233 1 year ago

Noticed Starlink just gave themselves another raise, it’s now $120 a month. In less than a year it’s gone from $99 to $120. It’s becoming a bad option.

#1234 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Officially, the lifetime service is for the lifetime of the device. There are plenty of examples of folks calling in and getting a much better offer than you experienced. Sometimes it takes a second call with another more flexible rep to make it happen. But if insurance would have covered it and you were making a claim for other devices anyway, why not let insurance cover it? In my 20+ years using Tivos, I've lost 1 hard drive and 1 HDMI port. I use Plex too, and have used TV tuners in PCs. They are not as family friendly to use or troubleshoot in my experience.
So many companies have an official policy, but a far more lenient one when you actually call them up. I've often received replacement devices or parts without even providing proof of purchase. The support reps never asked for it.

I don't disagree about the insurance aspect, I agree completely. At first I wasn't going to file insurance since the deductible vs. what was damaged was about the same amount. But as I found more things bad, that gradually shifted.

Tivo seemed to lose their core DVR experience. Look at the guide, pick a show, record, done. IMO, they they tried to be 'everything' and lost sight of the basics. I had tried some DIY DVRs prior with not much luck (Raspberry Pi 2 with a media server and USB tuner, SimpleTV which went belly up, etc.). I was excited when I purchased our Tivo, finally a great DVR! However, the GUI had turned into a convoluted mess the wife hated, and I didn't disagree. We had Tivo years ago with DirectTV. Lean and mean and a great interface. A+ back then. Then it got even worse when they updated their OS maybe 4-5 years ago? What was the new OS named? 'Aqua' comes to mind, but I could be wrong. Strayed even more away from the their fundamental business (i.e. DVR).

I recall Tivo came out with an expensive streaming box a number of years ago in a market that Roku, Amazon (and Apple, to a lesser extent) completely saturated with cheap boxes that worked perfectly fine. What was the ONE SIMPLE thing that would have made me ditch Roku and Amazon Fire? Gee...I don't know, maybe to allow me to stream what I recorded on my Tivo in other rooms w/their streaming box? Nope, didn't do that. I am clueless how they missed that simple opportunity to lock in their customer base into their eco-system long term. Instead they offer something nobody wanted. And I think around then they stopped making the Tivo Mini that did allow you to watch in a different room (at $150ish I think).

So fast forward to my Tivo that got nailed by lightning: "Sorry, you can't xfer the license. But you can buy new one plus a license." Last thing I wanted to do is jump thru hoops with a company that I was already a customer with and beg for something I already own. I would have bought another Tivo if they included the license I already owned. It wasn't the price as much as it was their arrogance that drove me away. Boy, they just make it painful to be a customer. Reading the Tivo forums, I'm not alone in my experience.

Sorry about that post. I know you enjoy Tivo, and glad you do. Don't mean to take away from your experience.

#1235 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Tivo seemed to lose their core DVR experience.

Those are all solid points. Lots of dumb moves on their part. That new OS is awful. Thankfully you can revert to the traditional Tivo OS on the older devices, which I did a long time ago.

Quoted from Electrocute:

Noticed Starlink just gave themselves another raise, it’s now $120 a month. In less than a year it’s gone from $99 to $120. It’s becoming a bad option.

I suspect the folks with no ther option will gladly pay it. Still cheaper than Hughes I think?

#1236 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Those are all solid points. Lots of dumb moves on their part. That new OS is awful. Thankfully you can revert to the traditional Tivo OS on the older devices, which I did a long time ago.

I suspect the folks with no ther option will gladly pay it. Still cheaper than Hughes I think?

Hughes is a 2 year commitment to hell! They catch ya using it, it slows down. Try and cancel, it becomes a turd you just can’t flush.

1 week later
#1237 1 year ago

Just dropping in to say I love my HD Homerun Duo. I’ve had one for a few years now but recently trying to cut costs so really using it more lately. Used with my antenna on the house along with a smart TV, Plex, or a streaming device like FireTV I’m able to watch the antenna from all my TVs, iPads, and cell phones with just 1 antenna. Note - only 2 or 4 tuners simultaneously depending on the model. There’s even DVR options. I see others have mentioned HD Homerun too so I’ll leave it at that.

https://www.silicondust.com/

#1238 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Just dropping in to say I love my HD Homerun. I’ve had one for a few years now but recently trying to cut costs so really using it more lately. Used with my antenna on the house along with Plex or a streaming device like FireTV I’m able to watch the antenna from all my TVs, iPads, and cell phones with just 1 antenna. Note - only 2 or 4 tuners simultaneously depending on the model. There’s even DVR options. I see others have mentioned HD Homerun too so I’ll leave it at that.

how much did it cost ?

#1239 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

how much did it cost ?

It’s $109 on Amazon. It basically puts all your antenna content on your home network so you can access it from any device. Pretty slick.

#1240 1 year ago

Hi My Name is James and I have been Clean for 3 weeks and dont miss it .Between my antenna and a firestick ,amazon and hbo max Im good for now.Nfl season will be dealt with in August.

#1241 1 year ago

It’s $109 on Amazon. It basically puts all your antenna content on your home network so you can access it from any device. Pretty slick.</blockqu

if it works with an indoor antenna that may be something I would add.

#1242 1 year ago

Well you won’t get any more shows than your antenna will get directly attached to your tv. But it does give you a guide nd allow you to view different shows on different tvs or devices simultaneously with only one antenna. Much better than running tv cable everywhere. Just put the antenna into the HD Homerun, plug in a network cable and power, and you’re done. I edited my post above to add a video. Give it a look - it explains it quite well.

#1243 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Just dropping in to say I love my HD Homerun Duo. I’ve had one for a few years now but recently trying to cut costs so really using it more lately. Used with my antenna on the house along with a smart TV, Plex, or a streaming device like FireTV I’m able to watch the antenna from all my TVs, iPads, and cell phones with just 1 antenna. Note - only 2 or 4 tuners simultaneously depending on the model. There’s even DVR options. I see others have mentioned HD Homerun too so I’ll leave it at that.

I had the quad version until it got wiped out due to a lightning strike. Decided the dual USB tuner was a good enough replacement. Connected to a Nvidia Shield (no internal storage) running Plex. Nvidia + Plex drove me crazy for a long time. Every update would cause the setup to stop recording and needing a complete reinstall to get going again. Finally fixed that by shutting off the updates and using the USB port on the router for the library.

So you're not using it as a DVR (yet)?

#1244 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

Hi My Name is James and I have been Clean for 3 weeks and dont miss it .Between my antenna and a firestick ,amazon and hbo max Im good for now.Nfl season will be dealt with in August.

Hi James. Welcome to the support group.

#1245 1 year ago
Quoted from tripplett:

Well you won’t get any more shows than your antenna will get directly attached to your tv. But it does give you a guide nd allow you to view different shows on different tvs or devices simultaneously with only one antenna. Much better than running tv cable everywhere. Just put the antenna into the HD Homerun, plug in a network cable and power, and you’re done. I edited my post above to add a video. Give it a look - it explains it quite well.

So there is a tuner in the HD duo or does it rely on the tuner of the first TV?

Curious if this will solve my issue of my LG seeing more channels than my Sony, if I can get a set of quality signals then just cast it around the house as needed that would work perfectly.

#1246 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So you're not using it as a DVR (yet)?

No, not yet. But I want to look into that now. I typically don't DVR anything but instead just do 'on demand'. If there's a show we HAVE to watch the day it comes out we just watch it. Else 100% on demand. Sometimes that just means we have to wait 24 hrs to watch it.

#1247 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

Curious if this will solve my issue of my LG seeing more channels than my Sony, if I can get a set of quality signals then just cast it around the house as needed that would work perfectly.

There is a tuner built into the device. When you first set it up it searches for channels it can access from the antenna. Then it receives the signals and casts it's own video around the house. It isn't resending the TV signals per se.

In other words you don't need a TV with an antenna connection to receive them. It converts the antenna to digital video then allows you to access that from any device that is on your home network... phones, tablets, smart tvs, dumb tvs with a firestick or roku, gaming devices, etc.

They have HD homerun apps in all the major app stores. For instance I installed it from the FireTV app store, launch it, and have all my antenna channels and a decent free guide as well on any TV that has a Firestick. I can even back up live tv a little - even without a DVR setup.

#1248 1 year ago

So I recently saw commercials for XFinity 10g internet for $25/month - anyone use them now? I'm only paying $29/month w Verizon 5G, is there really any difference......christ, i've been surfing the Verizon site for 20 minutes trying to see what speed it's supposed to be, it's like trying to get the nuclear launch codes.

https://www.xfinity.com/10g#Pricing&otherinfo

#1249 1 year ago
Quoted from boscokid:

One thing to consider is the LG just get getting a better signal than the Sony? Simple test is to just move the easiest TV to the other location, rescan, and check how many channel are being received.

#1250 1 year ago

The Channels app works great with the HD Homerun. It’s the closest i have seen to the cable TV experience with a guide and DVR functions. I have a NAS on my network and use that for the DVR storage. With this setup you can record shows from any of the major broadcast networks over your antenna, then watch them later and skip commercials. This is great for me, unlike Hulu where you will have to watch commercials (depending on the content).

The main drawback to this arrangement is that it takes some work with networking to get it all setup. And most people don’t have a NAS at home. I believe you can also attach a USB drive directly to the HD Homerun to use as DVR storage, this would be easier. This might depend on the model.

There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.