(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,588 posts
  • 167 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 58 days ago by pinzrfun
  • Topic is favorited by 75 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSCN8769 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_1403 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8392 (resized).JPG
500C4C06-C852-41B0-BB6A-B6918576DC05 (resized).jpeg
AF9902BA-ADC8-4340-9FA1-8035FF9B908E (resized).png
DSCN8342 (resized).JPG
DSCN8341 (resized).JPG
DSCN8340 (resized).JPG
DSCN8329 (resized).JPG
DSCN8334 (resized).JPG
IMG_0480 (resized).jpeg
DSCN8317 (resized).JPG
DSCN8319 (resized).JPG
There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 32.
#1101 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Much better to just share a legit service with a buddy or 2.

Is that really "legit?"

I get the argument though.

#1102 1 year ago

As far as any posts being moderated, I think it’s just a matter of focus. This is a pinball forum so that kind of thing is not on the radar of the moderators, they might not even know what it is. But in other forums that focus on this type of thing, for example Kodi, it is strictly forbidden and even the mention of certain things can get you immediately banned.

#1103 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Revisiting this comment about Philo.
There is sort of a way to fast forward thru the commercials during a live broadcast stream. For example, start watching the show after it already started. You have the option to 'rewind' to the beginning. Then when you get to a commercial break, just zip thru it (because you are watching delayed). Just did it on Curse of Oak Island on the History channel. If you 'rewound' 10 min. of DVR'd content, then you can skip 10 min of commercials (you would have caught up to the real time live stream at that point).
Or watch it later and just FF thru them.

This is one of a number of things that can be aggravating with the conversion to streaming. With the old school cable you could do exactly this, I would do it all the time. But the first time I tried on streaming it was very disappointing. Even though I had stayed on the same channel during live viewing, I was only able to rewind back in time for a few minutes, if that even. After doing some research, it appears that this process, which is called buffering, takes place on the local streaming device. That is Google Chromecast TV in my case, but it should apply to Roku, Fire, etc.

The amount of buffer time you get (how far back you can rewind during live viewing a show) is limited by local memory storage. And as far as I can tell, all of these devices don’t have much, something like 8gb. That memory is used to install all of the local apps, and whatever is left, which is a pittance, is used for that buffering.

For the Chromecast supposedly the way around it is to add more local memory, which requires a multiport USB add-on and a memory stick. Another pain in the ass project I have to get around to.

The other way around it is to record the show, then watch it later, or at least a while after it starts. Then you should be able to rewind. For example, with Channels DVR if you record a show, now that is being laid down on your server drive or wherever you have your DVR set up. So the content is there allowing you to rewind.

This is one of those things that was a no brainer with your old cable box, as it handled this seamlessly. It’s one of several things that makes the cord cutting to streaming a bit aggravating. I’m making a list.

#1104 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is one of those things that was a no brainer with your old cable box, as it handled this seamlessly. It’s one of several things that makes the cord cutting to streaming a bit aggravating. I’m making a list.

My biggest thing is, when I'd turn on the tv (cable), all my recorded shows were right there. I wasn't going to THIS app to see if there's a new episode of American Pickers, or THAT app to see if there's a new episode of Deadliest Catch, etc. Now I don't know when any of that stuff is available. If the old season ended 6 months ago and new season started last week, it taped it, period. I have a few network shows set to tape on my Fire TV-Recast via OTA antenna but all the other things I used to watch, no idea when they're on or if there are new episodes available.

I don't like turning on the tv and knowing i'm gonna be SEARCHING for things to watch.

#1105 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

This is one of a number of things that can be aggravating with the conversion to streaming. With the old school cable you could do exactly this, I would do it all the time. But the first time I tried on streaming it was very disappointing. Even though I had stayed on the same channel during live viewing, I was only able to rewind back in time for a few minutes, if that even. After doing some research, it appears that this process, which is called buffering, takes place on the local streaming device. That is Google Chromecast TV in my case, but it should apply to Roku, Fire, etc.
The amount of buffer time you get (how far back you can rewind during live viewing a show) is limited by local memory storage. And as far as I can tell, all of these devices don’t have much, something like 8gb. That memory is used to install all of the local apps, and whatever is left, which is a pittance, is used for that buffering.
For the Chromecast supposedly the way around it is to add more local memory, which requires a multiport USB add-on and a memory stick. Another pain in the ass project I have to get around to.
The other way around it is to record the show, then watch it later, or at least a while after it starts. Then you should be able to rewind. For example, with Channels DVR if you record a show, now that is being laid down on your server drive or wherever you have your DVR set up. So the content is there allowing you to rewind.

As I was typing my comment to pinzrfun , I was wondering if the streaming box made a difference (regarding of the buffer size), and also if the buffering is local or if it's done by Philo (pretty sure it's handled by Philo)? And to complicate things more...does it vary by content provider? Personally, I use Roku and Fire TV/sticks, with Roku being in my office and used the most.

I did do a quick test and the Philo 'Rewind to the beginning' is handled on their end, not by the streaming box.

But your point is well taken - there's no consistency and it really can muddy the water.

#1106 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Is that really "legit?"
I get the argument though.

Not really, but you are paying for a legit service, not a fraudulent one. That is key. And most anyone with older kids will tell you, legit services don't want you to share, but they don't really enforce it too severely either.

#1107 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Not really, but you are paying for a legit service, not a fraudulent one. That is key. And most anyone with older kids will tell you, legit services don't want you to share, but they don't really enforce it too severely either.

I totally understand.

#1108 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

As I was typing my comment to pinzrfun , I was wondering if the streaming box made a difference (regarding of the buffer size), and also if the buffering is local or if it's done by Philo (pretty sure it's handled by Philo)? And to complicate things more...does it vary by content provider? Personally, I use Roku and Fire TV/sticks, with Roku being in my office and used the most.
I did do a quick test and the Philo 'Rewind to the beginning' is handled on their end, not by the streaming box.
But your point is well taken - there's no consistency and it really can muddy the water.

I have a feeling i wasnt utilizing Philo correctly -----------------------

#1109 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I have a feeling i wasnt utilizing Philo correctly -----------------------

No biggie. Was just trying to sort out what was going on, more curious than anything.

#1110 1 year ago

I know many people who pay for Iptv services, I haven't done it as I don't trust the "paper trail". I've been fine with Sling, Disney +, And our "borrowed " services (Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, HBOMax). We also use two "Grey market" apps that usually work fine for new movies/TV shows (use a VPN). I could care less that I don't pay for all the content we watch.

We gave up on Kodi as it never seemed to work right.

#1111 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

I know many people who pay for Iptv services, I haven't done it as I don't trust the "paper trail". I've been fine with Sling, Disney +, And our "borrowed " services (Hulu, Netflix, Apple TV, HBOMax). We also use two "Grey market" apps that usually work fine for new movies/TV shows (use a VPN). I could care less that I don't pay for all the content we watch.

I gave up on Kodi too, same reason, and when I ran across the IPTV thing this past weekend it was like, finally! Something that works!

I figure we've all been raped by the cable companies for years so I'm not gonna lose sleep over watching a couple episodes of something every once in a while. Corporate America will soldier on.

#1112 1 year ago
Quoted from Irishbastard:

Quoted from pinzrfun:

I gave up on Kodi too, same reason, and when I ran across the IPTV thing this past weekend it was like, finally! Something that works!
I figure we've all been raped by the cable companies for years so I'm not gonna lose sleep over watching a couple episodes of something every once in a while. Corporate America will soldier on.

I used Kodi many moons ago, but ended up playing around w/it more than anything. I knew it would confuse the wifey within minutes and I never really trusted some of the repositories. Maybe the biggest reason was I was worried about nefarious people using the Kodi apps as a way to get into my network thru a backdoor.

I still check out what the Kodi folks are up to occasionally. Definitely a potent platform, just not my cup of tea. Sort of the 'wild west' of streaming - if it's out there, you can probably find it and watch it.

#1113 1 year ago

We actually had some folks who were selling hacked Firesticks at a nearby flea market get busted by local cops. I was kinda surprised by that as you'd think that wouldn't be real high on their list of crimes to devote resources to.

#1114 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

My biggest thing is, when I'd turn on the tv (cable), all my recorded shows were right there. I wasn't going to THIS app to see if there's a new episode of American Pickers, or THAT app to see if there's a new episode of Deadliest Catch, etc. Now I don't know when any of that stuff is available. If the old season ended 6 months ago and new season started last week, it taped it, period. I have a few network shows set to tape on my Fire TV-Recast via OTA antenna but all the other things I used to watch, no idea when they're on or if there are new episodes available.
I don't like turning on the tv and knowing i'm gonna be SEARCHING for things to watch.

Yes, this and others, but we're gonna have to learn to adapt.

How about simply looking ahead to see what shows will be recorded in the upcoming week? Hulu Live VCR - no can do. Lame.

How about watching your current channel (maybe in a window) while you are browsing the guide? No can do. Lame.

How about a "last channel" button, so you can press one button to instantly go back and forth between 2 channels? No can do. Lame.

Not everyone does all these things or wants all these things, but I do. So I reserve the right to be aggravated.

#1115 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Yes, this and others, but we're gonna have to learn to adapt.
How about simply looking ahead to see what shows will be recorded in the upcoming week? Hulu Live VCR - no can do. Lame.
How about watching your current channel (maybe in a window) while you are browsing the guide? No can do. Lame.
How about a "last channel" button, so you can press one button to instantly go back and forth between 2 channels? No can do. Lame.
Not everyone does all these things or wants all these things, but I do. So I reserve the right to be aggravated.

My FireTV Recast will let me do the first 2, show future recordings and watch a show in a window while looking at the guide, but I can only tape OTA shows, which are 90% reruns. I get about 68 channels on the antenna. I tape football on Sundays, and a couple other shows, that's it. All of the other stuff I used to watch is on A&E or Discovery or AMC or National Geographic or something else and was served up whenever I turned on the tube.

Card carrying member of the aggravation club. This weekend I'm gonna play around more with the IPTV stuff though, actually I won a gift card at work an hour ago and will pay for a subscription w that - cant trace it back to me.

#1116 1 year ago

Ok, I have a question -

I free-trialed KingTV IPTV because almost all the content is supposed to be HD. The trial was only 24 hours, I literally watched 2 programs, shoulda waited til the weekend but anyways -

Was watching a movie last night and a lot of the scenes were pixelated, you know how there's an action scene and instead of being sharp, the pic looks like a bunch of squares as things are moving on the screen. Not constantly, but enough to bother me.

What causes that? I have Verizon internet, it's not fiber optic or anything but i live alone, i doubt the connection is overloaded. I have an OTA antenna and access Netflix and other pay services directly through the TV apps and they look fine. I stream everything through a Firetv Recast to a Firestick. I was using IPTVSmarters for the media player.

I've free-trialed KingTV and xTremeHD but the trials were 24 hours and 36 hours respectively, which isn't much time to get a grip on the features or really see the functionality. I'll cough up the monthly fee on both probably, but wondered if anyone knew about the pixelated images........

#1117 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok, I have a question -
I free-trialed KingTV IPTV because almost all the content is supposed to be HD. The trial was only 24 hours, I literally watched 2 programs, shoulda waited til the weekend but anyways -
Was watching a movie last night and a lot of the scenes were pixelated, you know how there's an action scene and instead of being sharp, the pic looks like a bunch of squares as things are moving on the screen. Not constantly, but enough to bother me.
What causes that? I have Verizon internet, it's not fiber optic or anything but i live alone, i doubt the connection is overloaded. I have an OTA antenna and access Netflix and other pay services directly through the TV apps and they look fine. I stream everything through a Firetv Recast to a Firestick. I was using IPTVSmarters for the media player.
I've free-trialed KingTV and xTremeHD but the trials were 24 hours and 36 hours respectively, which isn't much time to get a grip on the features or really see the functionality. I'll cough up the monthly fee on both probably, but wondered if anyone knew about the pixelated images........

Sounds like bandwidth problems on their end?

#1118 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Sounds like bandwidth problems on their end?

Ok, thank you - I hoped it was some kind of bandwidth thing and that I wasnn't gonna have to pony up more $ to Verizon to upgrade my service.

I'll probably spring for a month trial for KingTV and xTremeHD and see which is better before signing up for a longer commitment. I won a Visa gift card at work yesterday, i'll pay w that -

#1119 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Ok, thank you - I hoped it was some kind of bandwidth thing and that I wasnn't gonna have to pony up more $ to Verizon to upgrade my service.
I'll probably spring for a month trial for KingTV and xTremeHD and see which is better before signing up for a longer commitment. I won a Visa gift card at work yesterday, i'll pay w that -

Just to clarify - that was an educated guess if everything is OK on your end. I see that on YouTube at times during live feeds (i.e. the YouTuber just doesn't have adequate bandwidth).

Is your Fire Stick fairly new (i.e. fast CPU, most recent streamers have a fair amount of CPU cores). You mentioned other platforms (Netflix) stream OK...so just double checking.

What if you watch the same movie later? Same issue?

#1120 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Just to clarify - that was an educated guess if everything is OK on your end. I see that on YouTube at times during live feeds (i.e. the YouTuber just doesn't have adequate bandwidth).
Is your Fire Stick fairly new (i.e. fast CPU, most recent streamers have a fair amount of CPU cores). You mentioned other platforms (Netflix) stream OK...so just double checking.
What if you watch the same movie later? Same issue?

Yes, its a Firestick 4k, the better one, purchased this past spring so less than a year old.

My free trial ran out last night halfway through the movie, lol, so I'll sign up for a one month run of both KingTV and xTremeHD and see which one works best. I don't recall seeing that pixellation on the xTremeHD trial i did last week, but that was only a couple days also.

I'm just happy I found a way to watch things that resembles what I'm used to , with a program guide and channel icons and all that. In fact my daughter was home last night and said "I can't believe you still have cable" - - -

xtreme-hd-iptv-1 (resized).pngxtreme-hd-iptv-1 (resized).png

#1121 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I see it all the time when streaming football. Considering the provider, I'd just about guarantee it's on their end.

#1122 1 year ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

Yes, its a Firestick 4k, the better one, purchased this past spring so less than a year old.
My free trial ran out last night halfway through the movie, lol, so I'll sign up for a one month run of both KingTV and xTremeHD and see which one works best. I don't recall seeing that pixellation on the xTremeHD trial i did last week, but that was only a couple days also.
I'm just happy I found a way to watch things that resembles what I'm used to , with a program guide and channel icons and all that. In fact my daughter was home last night and said "I can't believe you still have cable" - - -
[quoted image]

There's also Pluto TV which is IPTV and legal, lot's of interesting stuff on there. If I'm not mistaken, Fire TV should have an app for that - no sideload.

#1123 1 year ago

Damn, just discovered, that i am still locked into a service agreement for another 12 month to DirecTV satellite service. They re-upped (extended) my agreement when they gave me $40/mo. discount last November as a loyalty discount, when i complained about price hikes. I guess i could bitch again but then would be locked into another 24 month commitment. I will likely just ride it out for another few months, at least thru football season since they have gifted my account NFL package already. So then in Feb, i may look into other stream live TV services, and just pay the penalty to buy out my contract for remaining months. Currently that buyout is $10/ month left on agreement so if/when i switch to live TV streaming my cost per month will be about half, $70 instead of $140/ mo., so when i am down to 6 months left will switch and it will be a push that 1st month bill.
Also discovered that the new DirecTV stream app on Roku stick works with my current DTV satellite service subscription allowing me to stream DTV channels to any TV without need for mini Genie. So can save some $$$ by returning some of my mini genies. Only disadvantage is without a mini genie receiver can't watch programs that i have recorded to my local DTV DVR.

#1124 1 year ago

Just a note that I did resolve my Live TV Buffering problem by expanding the memory of the Google Chromecast TV 4K. It took an investment of about $80 to add on a Vemont USB Multiport Adapter with network, Anker 60W Charger, and SanDisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (also requires an additional C to C USB cable). Now rewinding during live viewing with Channels (over the antenna) works great, I have tested it to 30 minutes backward and it works no problem, and rewinding and going back and forth is fast too.

I'm not thrilled with the rat's nest of cables this makes, but it is hidden behind the AV receiver. I'll try to clean that up later.

Now that I have gobs of available memory beyond the paltry 8GB it comes with, I'm going to see what other interesting things I can do with the Google device, like some retro gaming.

Google TV memory expansion (resized).jpgGoogle TV memory expansion (resized).jpg

#1125 1 year ago
Quoted from xsvtoys:

Just a note that I did resolve my Live TV Buffering problem by expanding the memory of the Google Chromecast TV 4K. It took an investment of about $80 to add on a Vemont USB Multiport Adapter with network, Anker 60W Charger, and SanDisk 128GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive (also requires an additional C to C USB cable). Now rewinding during live viewing with Channels (over the antenna) works great, I have tested it to 30 minutes backward and it works no problem, and rewinding and going back and forth is fast too.
I'm not thrilled with the rat's nest of cables this makes, but it is hidden behind the AV receiver. I'll try to clean that up later.
Now that I have gobs of available memory beyond the paltry 8GB it comes with, I'm going to see what other interesting things I can do with the Google device, like some retro gaming.
[quoted image]

I wouldn't bother with the retro gaming on the Google Chromecast, I got it working with Retroarch but its a convoluted pain in the butt with lots of weird quirks. And it can't manage N64 emulation without excessive stuttering. There are too many other ways to do the retro gaming to bother with this.

Other than that, the Chromecast device seems to be working out well for all of the streaming stuff, especially after expanding the memory. I'm ordering another one for the secondary TV while they are on sale for Black Friday ($10 off).

#1126 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

And Philo is only $25 I love it on my Firestick Max

#1127 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

And Philo is only $25 I love it on my Firestick Max

If I was paying $25/month, I'd probably cancel it. I use it monthly, but I may go a week or 2 not touching it. I'm only paying like $10/month though. If you don't care about sports, it's a lot of bang for the buck!

#1128 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If I was paying $25/month, I'd probably cancel it. I use it monthly, but I may go a week or 2 not touching it. I'm only paying like $10/month though. If you don't care about sports, it's a lot of bang for the buck!

How are you paying $10 a month?
I think when they started the service it was either $15 or $16 a month fixed rate?After being robbed monthly by Directv Philo is well worth $25 Like I said I get sports on the Firestick

#1129 1 year ago
Quoted from romulusx:

How are you paying $10 a month?
I think when they started the service it was either $15 or $16 a month fixed rate?After being robbed monthly by Directv Philo is well worth $25 Like I said I get sports on the Firestick

I got in before they started raising the price plus I've got $10 off per month via T-Mobile.

#1130 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

If I was paying $25/month, I'd probably cancel it...

I was paying well north of $100. No brainer canceling DirectTV and signing up for Philo. Don't need ESPN or news, so good fit for us.

Grandfathered in at $16/mn.

#1131 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I was paying well north of $100. No brainer canceling DirectTV and signing up for Philo. Don't need ESPN or news, so good fit for us.
Grandfathered in at $16/mn.

Right on brother I loved that they added Reels can’t get enough of Cops Reloaded and Vegas jail lol

#1132 1 year ago

I've been doing Hulu for .99/month for the last few years usually renewed about now. If any of you folks notice any good streaming deals, please give us a heads up.

#1133 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I've been doing Hulu for .99/month for the last few years usually renewed about now. If any of you folks notice any good streaming deals, please give us a heads up.

I saw Hulu for $1.99/mo this year. https://www.hulu.com/gma?trk=public_post_main-feed-card-text

#1134 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Don't need ESPN

I just wish we could add it for an additional fee so I could get Monday Night Football.

#1135 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I just wish we could add it for an additional fee so I could get Monday Night Football.

Lack of a devoted sports channel seems to be the biggest showstopper. Lots of places to get news, so I don't see that a hindrance.

#1136 1 year ago

I very much prefer the Classic Tivo OS and will continue rocking my 4 tuner Roamio, but this is a pretty good deal for a modern Tivo OTA DVR with Lifetime Service. Please note it only has 2 tuners...

https://slickdeals.net/f/16243948-tivo-edge-for-antenna-and-the-all-in-subscription-plan-for-249-99-249?v=1

#1137 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I very much prefer the Classic Tivo OS and will continue rocking my 4 tuner Roamio, but this is a pretty good deal for a modern Tivo OTA DVR with Lifetime Service. Please note it only has 2 tuners...
https://slickdeals.net/f/16243948-tivo-edge-for-antenna-and-the-all-in-subscription-plan-for-249-99-249?v=1

Yeah, every time I feel like i need an upgrade my old Romio, there's nothing that's better out there. And it still runs fine with the huge HD i replaced in it. The mini's need patience sometimes with apps, but they still work good for recorded programs.

2 weeks later
#1138 1 year ago

I am glad that I have been reading all of this for a while and talking to friends.

My Dish TV bill just went from 82.50 to 129.00. I am cancelling the 2nd week of January, as I have been planning to do for a while.

At first just using the antenna, but when one friend has time, I am going with some service that he has been using for 5 years that he loves.

Going to get him to hook all of that up.

In the meantime, I am going to get a prepaid credit card, or a gift card or something before then, just in case.

At the worst, if I stay 100% OTA and just pay to stream ESPN during football season, that will save a whole lot of money and I will be able to watch what I want anyway.

#1139 1 year ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I am glad that I have been reading all of this for a while and talking to friends.
My Dish TV bill just went from 82.50 to 129.00. I am cancelling the 2nd week of January, as I have been planning to do for a while.
At first just using the antenna, but when one friend has time, I am going with some service that he has been using for 5 years that he loves.
Going to get him to hook all of that up.
In the meantime, I am going to get a prepaid credit card, or a gift card or something before then, just in case.
At the worst, if I stay 100% OTA and just pay to stream ESPN during football season, that will save a whole lot of money and I will be able to watch what I want anyway.

Disney had a deal for Disney+, Hulu, and ESPN+ together for $19.99/mo recently. Pretty good deal.

#1140 1 year ago

How the do you cancel Bally Sport, can’t seem to do it? Doesn’t seem to be that simple. Different animal for sure. Charges go to Apple ID

#1141 1 year ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

How the do you cancel Bally Sport, can’t seem to do it? Doesn’t seem to be that simple. Different animal for sure. Charges go to Apple ID

(in iOS)
Open the Settings app.
Tap your name.
Tap Subscriptions.
Tap Bally Sports.
Tap Cancel Subscription. You might need to scroll down to find the Cancel Subscription button. If there is no Cancel button or you see an expiration message in red text, the subscription is already canceled.

#1142 1 year ago

Easy peasy, thanks!

3 weeks later
#1143 1 year ago

I finally cut the cord yesterday. Just OTA for now, and plenty of channels and stuff to watch, all good!

Dish TV wasn't too bad, so far, they are sending me a carton to put the boxes in to ship back to them. They did try to talk me into staying and giving me a $40 discount, after they had just gone up by $40. I had planned to cancel a long time ago.

The only thing I miss is not being able to pause live tv, and not having on demand.

I already have a firestick, and when we have time, a friend is going to come over and show me all about the streaming stuff.

I also recently switched my cell phone from Verizon to Comcast, supposed to save me 100 bucks a month, I will see.

2 weeks later
#1144 1 year ago

I just got my ATT bill 203 per month,If I cancel and keep internet only it will be 75 but I get HBOmax included with internet because I made that deal awhile back.I cant put an antenna up.I want local channels and have 2 weeks to decide if I can do better as I already told them shut it off Feb 15th .I have to keep the fast internet 75 bucks. Any suggestions.I have been following this thread but still would appreciate any suggestions.

#1145 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

I just got my ATT bill 203 per month,If I cancel and keep internet only it will be 75 but I get HBOmax included with internet because I made that deal awhile back.I cant put an antenna up.I want local channels and have 2 weeks to decide if I can do better as I already told them shut it off Feb 15th .I have to keep the fast internet 75 bucks. Any suggestions.I have been following this thread but still would appreciate any suggestions.

We switched to Verizon 5g home internet service and YouTube TV (we like the sports selections on it). Was so glad to get rid of all Comcast service. Verizon home internet was $25/month for Verizon cell customers and $50/month for people who aren't cell customers. No equipment fee in either case. They provided the router free and it has an ethernet port also. Seemed like too good of a deal to be true, but for once it really was as great as it seemed. Speed of Verizon internet is all we need with working from home, 2 kids streaming X-Box games, and 3 TV's streaming TV all at once. YouTube TV for us is $79/month including HBO.

#1146 1 year ago

I think your main 3 options are Youtube TV, Hulu +TV, and Philo. I have the Hulu package. It seems ok generally. It's packaged with Disney+ and ESPN as of now.

#1147 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

We switched to Verizon 5g home internet service and YouTube TV (we like the sports selections on it). Was so glad to get rid of all Comcast service. Verizon home internet was $25/month for Verizon cell customers and $50/month for people who aren't cell customers. No equipment fee in either case. They provided the router free and it has an ethernet port also. Seemed like too good of a deal to be true, but for once it really was as great as it seemed. Speed of Verizon internet is all we need with working from home, 2 kids streaming X-Box games, and 3 TV's streaming TV all at once. YouTube TV for us is $79/month including HBO.

I recently did the same thing, back in Sept - kissed xFinity goodbye and went Verizon 5G. I also have PIA VPN and one of the internet tv services, can watch virtually anything. I do have a lot of buffering issues i"m still trying to work through.

#1148 1 year ago

I can't wait to figure out how to cut the cord. So tired of the nonsense and pathetic prices with these companies.

I was looking at Vidgo last week. Anyone use them? Happy with them?

Screenshot_20230131_161552_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20230131_161552_Gallery (resized).jpg
#1149 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamesays:

We ditched cable a few years ago and got Verizon 400mbps for $59/month for life (We could get it cheaper through Verizon Wireless, but that service is sketchy in our area (Have to use a Verizon Booster as we couldn't send texts at home, dropped calls etc (5G sucks). We went with Sling and their "Air TV" unit which integrated our 1950's attic antenna into the channel line up and allowed a usb Hard drive to be a DVR for OTA. We were fine with Sling, which WAS $25/month...our OTA channels were hit or miss, mainly due to a crappy antenna. Well, Sling just increased their price to $40/month, not worth it. So...just ditched Sling and went with Youtube TV ($55/month for three months, then $65/month). Its SO much better, and includes all our local channels. So, currently happy with this setup, along with or "borrowed services" (Netflix, HBO Max, Apple TV, Hulu), Disney+ is included with our Verizon Wireless, and I paid for a year of Paramount+, which I'm not going to renew as I can watch those shows on our "Grey Market" apps. We do not use the Verizon router as it was garbage (In our house anyway), I'm using an Asus AX5700 (RT-AX86U) which extends 150'+ to my wireless shed Wyze cams with no issues.

#1150 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

I was looking at Vidgo last week

Main draw back with Vidgo is that it has no TNT, TBS, TruTV or TCM or CNN or HLN or AMC

There are 1,588 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 32.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-the-cord-tips-and-tricks-to-do-it-right/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.