(Topic ID: 236041)

CUTTING THE CORD. Tips and tricks to do it right?

By Chitownpinball

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 981 posts
  • 147 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 35 days ago by Electrocute
  • Topic is favorited by 69 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
slink (resized).PNG
02C76BAD-C92A-48D0-B132-1C082BCB9502 (resized).png
F5CDBCC7-1F88-4A95-A58F-47FE060981B2 (resized).jpeg
679A4DBE-EB64-4CC1-9979-7E9B102DAEC8 (resized).jpeg
20220129_171609.jpg
20220127_165403.jpg
20220127_163909.jpg
Screenshot_20220127-071749_Firefox.jpg
20220127_070837.jpg

There are 981 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.
#951 81 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Compared to having something in the 1 to 5 Mbps using cellular, this is a game changer!
[quoted image]

Test it with ethernet. I bet it's better than that.

#952 81 days ago

Can’t do it without the $25 Ethernet adapter and they aren’t in stock right now.

#953 80 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Can’t do it without the $25 Ethernet adapter and they aren’t in stock right now.

I hate when companies do that shi*.

#954 80 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Do you have an option to the speed from Starlink to router?

#955 80 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Test it with ethernet. I bet it's better than that.

I've seen some early reviews maybe 6 months ago that was running about 100meg down. Early adopters, so maybe those numbers are no longer valid.

100M is what I have out in the boonies (we have fiber now, 1g is available). Can't say I need anything faster. Went for years that I struggled to get a few meg on a good day (at the time - wireless repeaters mounted mostly on grain silos for the network).

#956 80 days ago

Moved the dish and it’s a little faster today.

02C76BAD-C92A-48D0-B132-1C082BCB9502 (resized).png
#957 80 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I've seen some early reviews maybe 6 months ago that was running about 100meg down. Early adopters, so maybe those numbers are no longer valid.
100M is what I have out in the boonies (we have fiber now, 1g is available). Can't say I need anything faster. Went for years that I struggled to get a few meg on a good day (at the time - wireless repeaters mounted mostly on grain silos for the network).

But being able to upload at gigabit speeds is a game changer for cloud backup.

#958 80 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I follow SpaceX's activities at StarBase (Boca Chica, Tx) along w/the Falcon 9 stuff at the cape. So I sort of indirectly follow the StarLink.

I recall SpaceX wanting to do a satellite V2, but it's not practical to launch on the Falcon, they need to use StarShip (under development) to accomplish that goal. I want to say the new V2 satellites will use lasers to communicate to each other to form a mesh network. Not sure if each V1 satellite can talk to each other now via RF, or if all the satellite comms goes back down to earth before being sent back up again to a different satellite.

I guess the takeaway from all this w/the V2 sat is more bandwidth (i.e. more speed) and reduced ping time?

Edit: Found a story on the Gen2 Sats...
https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2021/09/version-2-starlink-with-lasers-and-gen-2-spacex-starlink-bigger-and-faster.html

#959 80 days ago
Quoted from Electrocute:

Moved the dish and it’s a little faster today. [quoted image]

As you said, it's so much better than what you had. I still think it ought to be faster. This is from Q4 of last year. Do you have any obstructions?

slink (resized).PNG

#960 80 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

As you said, it's so much better than what you had. I still think it ought to be faster. This is from Q4 of last year. Do you have any obstructions?
[quoted image]

I hope the fact that both Orange and Ventura Counties in California appear to not have any coverage is wrong or has been updated. That's a lot of potential customers, let alone a lot of area in the midweast, the east coast and the south not having any coverage.

#961 80 days ago
Quoted from girloveswaffles:

I hope the fact that both Orange and Ventura Counties in California appear to not have any coverage is wrong or has been updated. That's a lot of potential customers, let alone a lot of area in the midweast, the east coast and the south not having any coverage.

That image is from Ookla. If nobody runs a speed test, that’s what it shows.

#962 80 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Looks like upload speeds are slower.

#963 80 days ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Looks like upload speeds are slower.[quoted image]

Oh no, I was referring to my AT&T fiber. For me gig downloads are mostly a waste, but thanks to the gig upload speed, I can backup lots of data quickly. That’s a game changer for me.

#964 80 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

[quoted image]

Yes, trees I planted over 10 years ago which really stretches the dish further from my home. What I need is the 150’ cord which I’ll eventually get.

#965 80 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

Oh no, I was referring to my AT&T fiber. For me gig downloads are mostly a waste, but thanks to the gig upload speed, I can backup lots of data quickly. That’s a game changer for me.

Ah..gotcha. I really didn't know the uplink speed w/Starlink, figured I'd look just for the heck of it.

4 weeks later
#966 51 days ago

I've been a FiOS customer since 2007 and have long suffered the Verizon FiOS sell/migration to Frontier. I have 3 TV's with a whole house DVR and the package with everything except premium movie channels. My monthly bill has continued to skyrocket year after year even as I had cut services to keep the increases minimalized (every time I cut something but the price still went up from before). After my bill increased yet again last month, I had enough (new rate was around $280/mo).

Unfortunately, my only option for internet service is Frontier so I'm held hostage somewhat (well, there is satellite by the upload speeds and latency are deal killers for me). When I called to ask how much it would be to cancel everything I had and go to internet only, I was told I cannot do that as an existing customer. I could downgrade my service and keep my 50mbit internet but the price was still quite expensive. I kept seeing ads online for Frontier internet for $59/mo for 500mbit plus some benefits but was told that was for new customers only. Frustrated, I decided to go online and try to register for the new service anyway (they would not allow me to do it over the phone). I used my same name, but my full legal name this time, a different email address, and a different phone number than my old account. Long story short, I was able to sign up and two days ago had my old service cancelled and installation of the new service went great.

I now have 500mbit internet (10x was I did have), purchased 3 ROKU devices for my 3 TV's, and subscribed to YouTube TV with a $10 discount/mo for the first year as part of my internet package. I got everything hooked up and working yesterday (my main system includes and A/V receiver, and ROKU worked just fine with it), and I must say I'm very happy. Searching the YouTube channels is a little less convenient (i.e. no channel numbers that you can memorize and quickly go to with the remote), but I have all of the channels I watched before minus the History Channel (not to mention all of the free TV & movie options that come with the ROKU). Now my bill is roughly $140/mo (i.e. about half of what it was before) with unlimited DVR, and I'm getting basically the same channels with my internet being 10x faster.

I wrestled with the decision for months, but this last price increase through me over the edge. Looking back, however, I wish that I would have cut the chord a long time ago. If you are in a similar situation as I am and have been on the fence, I couldn't recommend enough to make the move.

#967 51 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've been a FiOS customer since 2007 and have long suffered the Verizon FiOS sell/migration to Frontier. I have 3 TV's with a whole house DVR and the package with everything except premium movie channels. My monthly bill has continued to skyrocket year after year even as I had cut services to keep the increases minimalized (every time I cut something but the price still went up from before). After my bill increased yet again last month, I had enough (new rate was around $280/mo).
Unfortunately, my only option for internet service is Frontier so I'm held hostage somewhat (well, there is satellite by the upload speeds and latency are deal killers for me). When I called to ask how much it would be to cancel everything I had and go to internet only, I was told I cannot do that as an existing customer. I could downgrade my service and keep my 50mbit internet but the price was still quite expensive. I kept seeing ads online for Frontier internet for $59/mo for 500mbit plus some benefits but was told that was for new customers only. Frustrated, I decided to go online and try to register for the new service anyway (they would not allow me to do it over the phone). I used my same name, but my full legal name this time, a different email address, and a different phone number than my old account. Long story short, I was able to sign up and two days ago had my old service cancelled and installation of the new service went great.
I now have 500mbit internet (10x was I did have), purchased 3 ROKU devices for my 3 TV's, and subscribed to YouTube TV with a $10 discount/mo for the first year as part of my internet package. I got everything hooked up and working yesterday (my main system includes and A/V receiver, and ROKU worked just fine with it), and I must say I'm very happy. Searching the YouTube channels is a little less convenient (i.e. no channel numbers that you can memorize and quickly go to with the remote), but I have all of the channels I watched before minus the History Channel (not to mention all of the free TV & movie options that come with the ROKU). Now my bill is roughly $140/mo (i.e. about half of what it was before) with unlimited DVR, and I'm getting basically the same channels with my internet being 10x faster.
I wrestled with the decision for months, but this last price increase through me over the edge. Looking back, however, I wish that I would have cut the chord a long time ago. If you are in a similar situation as I am and have been on the fence, I couldn't recommend enough to make the move.

Starlink internet will solve your problem but it’s a long wait if you’re not on the list.

#968 51 days ago

I guess I have something to be grateful for today!100mbps for $35 a month

#969 50 days ago
Quoted from romulusx:

I guess I have something to be grateful for today!100mbps for $35 a month

I just had 3.2gbps for $50....not sure how that was. My line was so fucked up the guy said. He came to replace my line from the box to the house.

I would get 6mb at 5am and then by noon I was past gig. So weird.

Back to a stable 500-600mbps now.

#970 49 days ago
Quoted from Chitownpinball:

I just had 3.2gbps for $50....not sure how that was. My line was so fucked up the guy said. He came to replace my line from the box to the house.
I would get 6mb at 5am and then by noon I was past gig. So weird.
Back to a stable 500-600mbps now.

How is that possible? Your router only has gigabit, no?

#971 49 days ago

Had a bad storm today. Heavy winds and downed trees. FIOS says no outages in my area, but we lost internet during the storm. Can’t get a tech out til Wednesday.

#972 49 days ago
Quoted from Fezmid:

How is that possible? Your router only has gigabit, no?

Right? So is my switch...

I was so confused. Lemme see if I got a screen shot.

1 week later
#973 35 days ago

I need to test my antenna some more, but the other day it worked fine with the leaves back on the trees.

I have been weening myself away from shows that I can not get through the antenna.

As soon as my DISH TV contract is up I plan to go antenna only, unless I can get a deal somewhere to have ESPN for cheap during football season.

But at this point, for 80 bucks a month I can also miss a few football games.

#974 35 days ago

I got rid of Comcast and their TV packages mainly because I can't stand the company and the renegotiation's every time the contract runs out. Hate them... I have Verizon Fios in the area so we went with that for net only. I have Prime, Netflix and while the last kid lives home we have Hulu. We aren't a sports family at all.. I'm a movie lover, I have over 600 movies on a server (Jellyfin) in the house and many TV series that I DL'd. Once our daughter moves out, good by to Hulu. Netflix sucks lately.. same old crap. For someone like me that likes classic movies almost all of the streaming services like Netflix and Hulu (except for TCM) suck.

#975 35 days ago
Quoted from PatWoodrailLVR:

I got rid of Comcast and their TV packages mainly because I can't stand the company and the renegotiation's every time the contract runs out. Hate them... I have Verizon Fios in the area so we went with that for net only. I have Prime, Netflix and while the last kid lives home we have Hulu. We aren't a sports family at all.. I'm a movie lover, I have over 600 movies on a server (Jellyfin) in the house and many TV series that I DL'd. Once our daughter moves out, good by to Hulu. Netflix sucks lately.. same old crap. For someone like me that likes classic movies almost all of the streaming services like Netflix and Hulu (except for TCM) suck.

I’m looking for options as Fios is costing me $200/month and I’m not exactly sure what I’m getting. Tv which we don’t watch, and internet and phone, but .. why?

Anyway I highly recommend you check out HBOMax because it always has stuff I want to watch - there’s an extensive TCM sub-channel, anime, and lots of new releases. I’m a (very, very disappointed) Netflix shareholder, and I’m even considering cancelling after Stranger Things ends

#976 35 days ago

Seems to me, you can just rotate premium services,
adding then dropping subs for a particular service
after watching the library (with your favs or main interests),
until depleted then move onto next service.
No need to keep them all concurrently.

#977 35 days ago
Quoted from PatWoodrailLVR:

...We aren't a sports family at all...

Just a streaming FYI,...take a look at Philo, which is pretty much all the popular cable channels for ~$25/mn. 60 channels w/DVR (virtual). They keep the price low by not offering sports or news. I'm still grandfathered in at $16/mn., not locked into a contract - cancel whenever you want.

https://www.philo.com/login/subscribe

#978 35 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've been a FiOS customer since 2007 and have long suffered the Verizon FiOS sell/migration to Frontier.

I was on Fios while working on my daughter's place. Their service sucks! Lost the ONT during a storm. It took 2 full days before a tech could come out and replace it. No internet, no antenna, shitty cell signal, and an empty house. I bought a cheap antenna. The TV was in the basement. I got 2 channels, an English Religious Channel and a Spanish Religious Channel.

#979 35 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Tantrum:

I've been a FiOS customer since 2007 and have long suffered the Verizon FiOS sell/migration to Frontier.

Yeah, I had Verizon for home phone service. They sucked. But It when my mom was not doing well, but I needed home service.
Then around the time my mom passed away, Verizon sold off their system to Frontier, and then EVERYTHING went down hill from there!
I had service problems, My DSL stopped working at one point (Through Netzero) and it turned out to be a problem with the phone lines and Frontier dragged their feet to fix the problem. Then they kept raising prices and adding charges with no explanations.
I finally got fed up and was in a position to dump them and Netzero (Who was also getting expensive).
I ended up getting Charter (this was just before it changed to Spectrum) and immediately save a load on home phone, and got better internet. Got cable for the first time too. Unfortunately, the cable is starting to get a bit expensive, so I may have to cut that out. But I'm defiantly not interested in streaming.

#980 35 days ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I was on Fios while working on my daughter's place. Their service sucks! Lost the ONT during a storm. It took 2 full days before a tech could come out and replace it. No internet, no antenna, shitty cell signal, and an empty house. I bought a cheap antenna. The TV was in the basement. I got 2 channels, an English Religious Channel and a Spanish Religious Channel.

Yep. Fios is the worst of all the providers... except for all the others.

#981 35 days ago

I’m currently using a terrestrial antenna, Sling, Frndly, PrimeVideo, HBOMax and Roku. Roku is great plus it’s free! Frndly is about $9 a month. I’m still under $80 a month but could get it down to zero if I went strictly with Roku and PrimeVideo.

There are 981 posts in this topic. You are on page 20 of 20.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!