9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by SUPERBEE
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Any tips/guides for making alterations to plastic ramps? Is a dremel the tool of choice? What bit is best? I'd like to cut out a section of a ramp to use it on a different game than it's intended.

#2 9 years ago

this is just a guess but maybe a fret saw?

#3 9 years ago

I make a lot of ramps so always cutting them out. What I use for the initial cut is a Dremel with a rotary saw blade for it that Harbor Freight sells...

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-hss-saw-blade-with-mandrel-set-67224.html

Be careful and keep a firm grip. Once the rough cuts are done you can finish them with a Dremel sanding drum.

#4 9 years ago

Whatever Dremel tool you use, make sure to wear eye protection.

#5 9 years ago
    Quoted from Freeplay40:

I make a lot of ramps so always cutting them out. What I use for the initial cut is a Dremel with a rotary saw blade for it that Harbor Freight sells...
    http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece-hss-saw-blade-with-mandrel-set-67224.html
    Be careful and keep a firm grip. Once the rough cuts are done you can finish them with a Dremel sanding drum.

Should I put tape over the areas I'm going to cut so the ramp doesn't start cracking?

#6 9 years ago

Please be advised with those saw blades in the dremel it is very easy to cut the SH$$ out of yourself!

As a matter of fact my brother cut off the tip of his finger with one of those just last week....

there is a good reason Dremel does not sell them anymore.

Be Careful!

#7 9 years ago

If you are not comfortable using the cut-off saws, you could also use a Dremel cut-off disk. It will basically melt it's way through the plastic. Again...firm grip.

#8 9 years ago

I would suggest cutting to within 1/8" - 1/16" of your demarcation line with a saw or cut-off disc, and then using a Dremel #115 bit to slowly remove the remaining plastic. This is how I used to remove doors, trunks, etc. from my scale model cars and it always worked great. Then use fine & extra-fine emery boards to polish the edge. I recently had to use a #115 to reshape a broken plastic and the broken edge now matches exactly the rest of the plastic's edge.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

As a matter of fact my brother cut off the tip of his finger with one of those just last week...

Ouch !!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-plastic-ramps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.