(Topic ID: 289488)

Cutting Pinball Plastics from clear PETG with Laser Engraver

By Mr_Tantrum

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot 2023-03-03 at 8.39.00 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-09 at 10.19.37 AM (resized).png
    IMG_5861 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5860 (resized).JPG
    IMG_5859 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

Have you considered using polycarbonate (lexan)? It's never going to break in a pinball machine, so it's a superior material to PETG.

Harder to laser cut since it releases toxic fumes when burned, and can't be easily machined either

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I'm old school and cut my plastics by hand. Polycarbonate will not break. I'm told PETG will not break, but I thought pinball plastics were made of PETG; What ever the pinball makers used I have the broken plastics to prove that they do break.
    I like .060" poly for the plastics and plastic protectors I have made.
    Poly is more expensive than PETG. But I like it better. I'm not saying it is better but I have had good luck with polycarbonate for hand cutting and tooling.

I was under the impression petg was the newer, tougher material, and that old plastics used something else? Every time I see people selling protectors they're always bragging its petg.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

CO2 Laser has no problem cutting clear acrylic. It doesn't like Polycarbonate. It has no problem cutting PETG.
    My laser is a cheap Chinese Red sail model. The 80 watt laser can cut 1/4" acrylic, slowly, but it can.

Does it have any issues with rounded edges when it's going that slow? Any difference in speed for petg?

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from BobLangelius:

When you say rounded edges, you mean the edge quality? not cutting circular shapes? correct?
    The edge quality can be rougher when you go really slow. It seems to have more time to heat the material and creates an edge that is wavy almost like a flame cut edge. A higher watt laser will cut quicker and make a nicer edge. No substitute for power.
    Circular cuts can sometimes seem faceted, but that is more of a software problem. (curves being approximated by small straight segments)
    PETG runs a little slower than acrylic for me....

Yeah, the edge itself, not the shape of the cut. I've read that cutting slower can make the 'corner' of the edge round as it melts, instead of a quick cut (or using a cnc) where the edge would be completely flat

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zacaj.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-pinball-plastics-from-clear-petg-with-laser-engraver?tu=zacaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.