• 15 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by NorCalRealtor
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 7 months ago

Hey there.
I have decided to get rid of the heavy plastic PF protector on my TOTAN. It always created little spots the ball would hang up on and I have had enough

I am looking for advice on the easiest way or best tool to cut it off with. I was trying a razor blade but I'm afraid I'm going to slip and cut the PF or cut my finger. The plastic is pretty heavy duty

Thanks

#2 7 months ago

Search for freeze (or heat gun) mylar removal. Tons of threads about it.

#3 7 months ago

That era canned air upside down = freeze it off.

#4 7 months ago

It isn't Mylar .....it is a plastic playfield protector. Freezing it prob will just make. It ....cold?
I just have to cut it off...im thinking dremel or flat shears......anyone else ditch their PF protector ?

#5 7 months ago

Just use decent scissors.

Probably only have to cut it in a couple of places.

rd

#6 7 months ago

Ah i see.

Scissors

If you're afraid of a blade i wouldn't be going near a dremel

#7 7 months ago

I'm not afraid of a blade...just a dull one is dangerous. I appreciate your comments ...I was just hoping for someone who has experience pulling off a playfield protector from a complex ramp infested playfield.
Some magic tool or trick so I don't have to pull off ramps...well I need to take out some of LEDS anyway

I'm going to have to remove some ramps to get to the upper playfield unfortunately ....TOTAN ...Beautiful game. Difficult to shop

#8 7 months ago

I removed one from a Met pro. It was a bit of a pia, but I just used scissors and cut areas like start of orbits. The hard part was near the slings and flippers because of the small holes you have to get the scissors to without scraping the playfield.

#9 7 months ago

Besides ball issues, did you feel game played differently w plastic vs without plastic ?

#10 7 months ago

I didnt feel any difference except it is very quiet with the protector on. Only reason I removed it was it was warping where the magnet was.

#11 7 months ago

On TOTAN it created divots and slots around the lamp and shooting stars where the ball would get stuck. As well as low clearance under one of the ramps ....it was pretty thick.

#12 7 months ago
Quoted from toddsolus:

it was pretty thick.

Did you have a version 1 or 2? I found their new and improved version was a lot thinner and didn't trap the ball so readily.

#13 7 months ago

I need to cut the one out.of my Tron also.

#14 7 months ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Did you have a version 1 or 2? I found their new and improved version was a lot thinner and didn't trap the ball so readily.

Not sure. I bought it with this installed. I was worried I was missing some raised inserts or some other reason they installed it....but....it plays better....with that thing gone.

#15 7 months ago

They are junk. Good call getting rid of it

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside