(Topic ID: 162832)

Cutting down IDC connectors - Use both ends?

By loneacer

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

Replacing a bunch of IDC connectors on the TAF I'm restoring. Trying to save a bit of money, I bought them in bulk with most having 20+ pins. If I needed two 9s, is there any reason not to cut a 20 in half and use pins 1-9 for one and 11-19 for the other besides the numbers not starting at 1? Would it bother you if they didn't all start at 1? I have enough that I don't have to reuse the higher numbers, but I don't want to be wasteful.

#2 7 years ago

I don't see a issue with it. do you have key blanks for them?

#3 7 years ago

I frequently cut the plastic housings to length then smooth (melt & trim) the rough edge on the flat side of a grinding wheel. No point in waiting a week for custom order parts delivery.

#4 7 years ago

Yes I have the blanks for them. I went a bit overboard and got like 400 total connectors in the various combinations of end/thru 18/22 100/156. Average cost something like 35-40 cents each when many were $2+ on Marco. I'll have plenty left over when I'm done to resell if anybody is interested.

I think I'm just going to replace every IDC on my game. I'm finding several mismatches. Thru connectors used where end should have been. Some red where orange should have been and vice versa. Plus some mixed in molex connectors where wires were spliced and run to multiple pins in place of IDC thru connectors. Overall it's quite the mess.

Spent 4 days last week replacing every switch and target. Should get my playfield back from HSA in another week or so. If/when I finish this thing, I'll make a long post with details of all I did. I think I'm approaching $11k in total costs now, but this is the first time I've done anything like this and it's a blast learning how this all works.

#5 7 years ago

After chasing IDC gremlins on a couple games the first thing I do is change every single connector. New pins and connectors makes for reliable wiring.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#6 7 years ago

I cut mine down all the time, you easily make it look nice and clean with a wheel.

A final flame to polish the edge is a good idea - thanks bbriese!

-Jay

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 180.00
$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.95
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cutting-down-idc-connectors-use-both-ends and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.