(Topic ID: 233855)

Cut around edges on decal that features a solid a background?

By jp1985

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Yelobird
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 5 years ago

I have a quick question. I have seen a TAF that has had decals applied and around the lightning bolts and other portions it looks as though someone trimmed the decal back and then clear coated over the whole cabinet. This means the majority of the black of the cabinet shown is the actual paint. Is this a common practice when the background is easily defined? This makes sense to me as there is little chance of getting wrinkles near the legs. The videos I have seen online just show people using the whole decal and trimming the edges.

#2 5 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

I have a quick question. I have seen a TAF that has had decals applied and around the lightning bolts and other portions it looks as though someone trimmed the decal back and then clear coated over the whole cabinet. This means the majority of the black of the cabinet shown is the actual paint. Is this a common practice when the background is easily defined? This makes sense to me as there is little chance of getting wrinkles near the legs. The videos I have seen online just show people using the whole decal and trimming the edges.

Are you certain the black area is a decal? Most times to mend the cabinet art people will frisket cover all the art and trim. Then paint the large mass area. When the frisket is removed from the art it often leaves an edge which appears to be a decal. Just a thought.

#3 5 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Are you certain the black area is a decal? Most times to mend the cabinet art people will frisket cover all the art and trim. Then paint the large mass area. When the frisket is removed from the art it often leaves an edge which appears to be a decal. Just a thought.

I meant the black area is not the decal and the blue lightning is. So I think they took a decal sheet and cut out the lightning and applied on a black cabinet rather than applying the whole sheet and than only trimming the cabinet edges.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from jp1985:

I meant the black area is not the decal and the blue lightning is. So I think they took a decal sheet and cut out the lightning and applied on a black cabinet rather than applying the whole sheet and than only trimming the cabinet edges.

Thats very possible. Some restorations are simply a noble attempt to make it look nicer then it was. Nothing wrong with that as long as they don't advertise it as anything more.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cut-around-edges-on-decal-that-features-a-solid-a-background and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.