• Latest reply 6 years ago by Cheddar
  • Topic is favorited by 19 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Nugent Stern Electronics, 1978

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2018-03-09 16.34.28 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

I've got a Stern Nugent and even though it's a fun game, it's not a great game. I spent some time getting it playing and getting the sound to work and that was the nail in the coffin for me. The bleeps just weren't cutting it.
Before I could get it sold I got a deal on a set of MyPinballs Custom Pinball Controller boards for early Bally/Stern. I like to tinker around so I decided to rewrite the ruleset and add real music and sound effects. You can check these out here: https://mypinballs.com/electronics/store.jsp
The MyPinballs boards seem well suited to this as it comes with a Controller/Driver Board board combo that does everything but power supply.
The controller board does game rules, switches, displays (plasma or led) and sound via onboard amp or line out. There are 3 Arduinos that come on this board they handle the operation of the game.
Arduino 1 is a Mega that controls game rules and the switch matrix. This is where you'll spend 99% of the time if you try this yourself.
Arduino 2 is another Mega and this one is the sound processor. The system is setup to handle Wav files and can do 2 channels of audio. If you have the stones for it you can pull the Mega and put in a Teensy board. This upgrade will give you a lot more horsepower in the audio engine but is a lot more technically daunting.
Arduino 3 is a Nano that drives the displays. This tiny little board has plenty of juice to handle the 32 digits you'd need on a 7 digit machine. I can already see how you could use this nano to drive a Raspberry Pi or other type of computer to serve a full lcd screen via serial, bluetooth or wireless. That's way in the future if I try and tackle it at all.
The second board in the set is the driver board, This board controls the lamps, solenoids and flippers.
In addition there is support for an audio line out, rgb lamps, aux lamps, solenoid expander, flashers, and expansion pins.
One interesting feature is the ability to treat the flippers like fliptronic flippers. I'll cover this in a future post.
Here are the topics I'll post in the next couple days:
1. Installing the boards
2. Running the sample app
3. A switch tester application for mapping out the matrix (can't find one for Nugent so I have one on order)
4. Getting the flippers to work
I'll be at Arcade Expo this weekend so anything that doesn't get posted tomorrow will have to wait until next week. If you're going to AE4 please stop by and say hi.

Nice write up and summary. Thanks for creating this I will keep following along and offer help where i can. The board set was a big project to get into the world. I also welcome feedback on improvements and fine tuning, both on hardware and the software framework. Noted on your suggestion for a key on the J12 aux controller connection. Can't guarantee the length of time when changes will be made though, as i have a lot of projects and products, but its something i want to keep improving. There are many different games that can be used with this boards so we find all sorts of nuances as we delve into things.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

OMG this guy reproduces Bally S&T boards too? That's awesome! So glad I just stumbled on this.
Sounds like a cool little project with lots of potential. I'll be watching for sure

Yes i have been making s&t sound boards for a few years now. Around 80 boards in the wild now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider applejuice.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/customizing-a-stern-nugent?tu=applejuice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.