IMG_0903.JPG
IMG_0902.JPG
Stencil-Backbox.png
Stencil-Cab.png
Alt-2.png
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0735.JPG
#1 11 years ago

I recently picked up a Bally On Beam from a fellow Pinsider (thanks David!). It has a nice playfield and backglass, but someone in the past made the awful decision to paint the cabinet beige. I decided to design my own custom stencil instead of repainting it with the original design (I know...sacrilege!). I chose to design my own stencil pattern because I wanted something that matched the objective in the game better (docking a space ship with a space station, following the "beam". A picture of the original stencil pattern can be found at the following link:

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1715&picno=23064

In the next few posts I'll post pictures of my progress designing, creating, and painting the cabinet.

First, here are some pictures of the beige paint job. The second one is after sanding and prepping for paint.

--Luke

IMG_0735.JPGIMG_0735.JPG IMG_0815.JPGIMG_0815.JPG

#2 11 years ago

The first step was designing the stencils. I drew them using a vector graphics program (Inkscape). After I drew them, I printed out the stencils to scale (i.e. full size) on paper. I created the stencils using a roll of acetate. For each color, I put the acetate over the stencil plan and cut the stencils out using an exacto knife, a swiveling cutting tool (Fiskars ShapeXpress), and a clear cutting mat. The exacto worked well for straight lines and long curves. The swiveling tool worked well for detail work.

--Luke

Alt-2.pngAlt-2.png Stencil-Cab.pngStencil-Cab.png Stencil-Backbox.pngStencil-Backbox.png

#3 11 years ago

I sprayed the acetate stencils with Krylon Easy-Tack repositional adhesive and applied them to the cabinet. I then painted them using an HVLP spray gun. I used satin exterior latex from Home Depot. I tried to choose colors that were close to the original. Final results are below (sans coin door, etc.).

--Luke

P.S. I also repainted the legs.

IMG_0902.JPGIMG_0902.JPG IMG_0903.JPGIMG_0903.JPG IMG_0906.JPGIMG_0906.JPG

#4 11 years ago

Hey Luke, I clicked on this link ready to hate it (we have a nice original On Beam and we love it) but, I've gotta say you did a great job! I like it.

I also repaint my own cabinets, draw the artwork in Illustrator and make my own stencils so I can appreciate all the effort that went in to this. Well done!

Art.

#5 11 years ago

Thanks Art. I was actually pretty conflicted when I was thinking about doing the custom design as I really like games to be original. However, I figured anything would be better than what it was and I had a great brainstorm on how I would want it to be.

Glad you love your On Beam...I love mine too.

--Luke

#6 11 years ago

Well done

#7 11 years ago

I think it looks fantastic. The space station on the stencil fits in perfectly with the backglass. I have never seen what the OEM cabinet art looks like, but this looks like factory to me. Very nice job.

#8 11 years ago

Looks fantastic! Well done.

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from robotron911:

... The Space Station on the stencil fits in perfectly with the backglass. ...

Yeah...good catch. I took the design of the space station from the backglass and the rocket design came from a rocket on the playfield.

--Luke

#10 11 years ago

This is so much better than I would have done! It honestly makes me glad I sold it. Great work!

And before anyone throws any stones at me, I got it with the beige paint.

#11 11 years ago

Nice work. Will have to give Inkscape a go.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from rancegt:

This is so much better than I would have done! It honestly makes me glad I sold it. Great work!
And before anyone throws any stones at me, I got it with the beige paint.

Thanks! I'm glad you sold it to me too...I really like that game.

--Luke

#13 11 years ago

Great work, looks factory.

#14 11 years ago

Cool !

#15 11 years ago

Thanks for all the great feedback!

--Luke

3 months later
#16 11 years ago

Is it fully operational now ?

#17 11 years ago

Looks great. I would never have known that wasn't stock.
Moving to modding subforum.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from Pin-it:

Is it fully operational now ?

Ummm...wellllll....

Short answer is no.

Long answer is I haven't worked on it much due to other projects I've been working on (both pinball and non-pinball related). The On Beam is next in line, though.

--Luke

#19 11 years ago
Quoted from HighNoon:

Short answer is no.

Just though I would revive the thread to what your progress was.

Just wondering how it went but I understand projects (never stops!) I am in the same boat here.
Good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-stencil-design-creation-and-painting-bally-on-beam and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.