(Topic ID: 297080)

Custom shooter knobs: love ‘em, or hate ‘em?

By swampfire

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Custom shooter knobs…”

• I love ‘em - I put them on most of my games 12 votes
      11%
    • I don’t mind them - to each his own 22 votes
      20%
    • Some of them are okay, but most of them suck 51 votes
      46%
    • I hate ‘em - give me the standard shooter knob 26 votes
      23%

(111 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

A1518778-7422-49FE-8FE6-BE9C637C9CAC (resized).jpeg
    8E8ADDF9-CC6D-4D66-AC61-DEDDFD4A4C28 (resized).jpeg
    4DB0A1C0-8C85-4E05-9008-F1248C50E405 (resized).jpeg
    1B45A4CA-6B56-48E3-A886-E289172516E3 (resized).jpeg
    4F3696EE-29E3-4239-A8DE-9244CDE69DB1 (resized).jpeg
    25F11639-63D0-4818-BB34-889CD9FE9A76 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg
    IcyNaughtyIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted (resized).png
    image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    knob (resized).jpg
    Whynotbothgirl--.gif
    ss_eye_96dbe185-f8f3-4ab1-bb4e-52d7a9f74fbf_large (resized).png
    amberrodlg1_large (resized).png
    AFeyeballinstlsd_1024x1024 (resized).jpg
    egg_on_game_compact (resized).jpg
    There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

I can’t believe that there’s not a thread on this already (I looked). I’m putting my flame suit on for this one.

I don’t like most custom shooter knobs. They usually feel wrong - you reach down for that perfectly-engineered grip that hasn’t changed in decades, and instead you get a weird skull or some orb the size of a baseball. Now, I do think some knobs are fine. If it’s symmetric and a reasonable size, and I can actually use it to make a skill shot, fine. Stern seems to have the right idea. LZ, JP, STH - all those knobs are okay.

I think factory knobs make some people anxious, like the ugly yellow price card that used to come with the game. What’s your take on this? I’ll add a poll once I hear some nuanced views on the humble shooter knob.

#2 2 years ago

They look stupid to me. They would be a waste of my monies, but people love the modding and it ain't my monies so get to it.

#3 2 years ago

It comes down to the specific custom shooter rod in question. I have the Stern JP shoter rod and think it is fantastic - looks great, feels great. I also had the Stern custom rod on my Aerosmith and Sparky's head was just not right - felt terrible to grab and plunge with.

#4 2 years ago

I agree with Drac - depends on the particular shooter. I like the official Stern Stormtrooper shooter for Stern Star Wars, for example. And my One Ring shooter for LOTR. Plus others. But many, no - usually if too large, or too odd in shape.

#5 2 years ago

I've seen a few cool looking ones. Most don't really grab me, though. Some are downright goofy or hinder the actual usage of the shooter rod.

Personally, I haven't wanted any enough to actually buy one.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

They usually feel wrong - you reach down for that perfectly-engineered grip that hasn’t changed in decades, and instead you get a weird skull or some orb the size of a baseball.

I made a weird skull for my Metallica. It was a fun project, and I think it looks pretty cool, but if I'm utterly honest it doesn't feel great in the hand. If it wasn't something I did myself that thematically matched my custom painted Sparky I think it'd take it off. As it is I live with it, but I'm not sure it's a great idea in general. I wouldn't ever make more, or buy someone else's like that.

#7 2 years ago

Just awful, one of the worst “mods” in pinball, and in a bottomless sea of alligator clips and plastic garbage that’s really saying something.

A mod should be - at the absolute least - unobtrusive to game play. These shooter knobs generally feel TERRIBLE in the players’ hand, and the added weight and girth completely ruin the feel a player has when plunging a ball. Not to mention, they appear to be disease vectors to me, with all these unnatural nooks and crannies that attract dirt, filth, dead skin etc and appear to be difficult to clean.

The fact that most of them look absolutely moronic, resembling sex toys purchased in an adult store in Lilliputia, is simply the cherry on a total shit sundae.

Some of them are tolerable (I can think of very few - maybe Stern’s official game of thrones knob, or the 3rd party funhouse steeplechase knobs a customer asked me to install) but by and large they are a complete aberration and a sign of how off the rails “pinball modding” has become.

“Do no harm” should be the number 1 rule in pinball modding, and when I’m grappling with a giant, clumsy 3D Incredible Hulk head when I’m simply trying to plunge a ball, clearly that rule has been violated.

#8 2 years ago

like everything, some are good, some are bad
    I have one on my spiderman, and I like it, but I have not seen any good ones for other games in my collection

#9 2 years ago

I only like the ones I purchase .

3FF4DCE4-1709-44BB-8367-86F8F2F984D8 (resized).png3FF4DCE4-1709-44BB-8367-86F8F2F984D8 (resized).png54F744B0-9CB1-4CD4-9E25-40FC1BF678B7 (resized).png54F744B0-9CB1-4CD4-9E25-40FC1BF678B7 (resized).png
    #10 2 years ago

I tend to favor the factory ones or at least ones that the orientation doesn't matter. Some look ok when sitting pretty for a picture but there's nothing to keep them from rotating sideways or upside down. I do like shooter rods better than launch buttons but that's a different topic.

#11 2 years ago

I think they look absolutely insanely stupid. Very few exceptions can be had, but I find them just an eye sore on the average.

#12 2 years ago

I only like 2 of them. The JP2 amber knob is cool. Mando Razor Crest control knob will be cool I think.

#13 2 years ago

My wife bought one for my Tommy, British flag motif, But the hole for the rod was drilled askew. now it looks like the shaft is bent

#14 2 years ago

Love them and put them on all my games. Each to their own though. My game my choice. Your game your choice, it’s not a big deal.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from jokerpoker:

Love them and put them on all my games. Each to their own though. My game my choice. Your game your choice, it’s not a big deal.

But why do you want to grab somebody's face to plunge a ball?
    C6r_ffOU0AA0sOv (resized).jpgC6r_ffOU0AA0sOv (resized).jpgd33d842-9b46111a-befc-4842-895c-a68f1594e3ad (resized).jpgd33d842-9b46111a-befc-4842-895c-a68f1594e3ad (resized).jpg
    3t4yn0 (resized).jpg3t4yn0 (resized).jpg

Pinball, anyone??

#17 2 years ago

Levi pretty well summed my feelings up on them. Most mods people slap on their machines look like a 16 year old went shopping for car mods in the automotive aisle of Walmart and bought everything they could slap on their '91 Geo Metro.

#18 2 years ago

It's totally dependent on the design for me. I like ones that feel most like an actual knob while looking cool. I absolutely hate the coin or keychain or other oddly shaped flat piece glued to a rod style. Most of the random doll heads glued to a rod are strange, but some are ok. Depends on the shape. The Jackie head would drive me nuts. I had a Deadpool one that was basically round that I didn't mind.

I like most of the Stern ones, especially the lit ones are really cool. The AIQ, JP, and STh ones are great. I have the BK one that came with my machine and that one is a little overboard. I would have never bought it myself, but since it came with the machine it's alright. I have no real interest in the TMNT one...again, just shaped too different for my tastes.

I do love the look of the Modfather round colored ones. Been thinking of grabbing a couple. I like how he uses colors matched to the cabinets. Cool stuff.

#19 2 years ago

I forgot that Stern did the Jacky knob for Aerosmith - that’s a great example of a knob that borks an important skill shot. It totally breaks the “do no harm” rule. I mean, the player only touches 3 things: the lockbar, the flipper buttons and the shooter knob. Those should be left alone. What’s next, foam-covered lockbars? Lockbars with art wraps?

The 2” knobs are ridiculous, it feels like I’m grabbing a doorknob. Do I pull it or turn it?

#20 2 years ago

No thanks

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

The JP2 amber knob is cool. Mando Razor Crest control knob will be cool I think.

Agreed.

#22 2 years ago

Distributor had one on a demo game.
    Had no idea what it was but unplayable to me.
    No thanks.

B0E1A2FC-017E-4C17-9A1B-F7AC39E14E0D (resized).jpegB0E1A2FC-017E-4C17-9A1B-F7AC39E14E0D (resized).jpeg

#23 2 years ago

Poll added.

#24 2 years ago

I like most of them. I really like the amber shooter rod for the new Jurassic Park and I made a diamond shooter rod for Congo.

#25 2 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

I like most of them. I really like the amber shooter rod for the new Jurassic Park and I made a diamond shooter rod for Congo.

Funny you mention Congo. I took my Congo to a show one year, and the standard shooter knob got broken. When I went to buy a replacement, I saw that there was a clear standard knob, so I bought that as a sort of “diamond” tie in. It’s the only shooter rod/knob I ever bought - I think it was $15.

#26 2 years ago

No thanks. Keep it factory, smooth, and symmetrical.

#27 2 years ago

What do I grab here?

30C95E53-F58D-4DD6-83FC-D4C400FC6276 (resized).jpeg30C95E53-F58D-4DD6-83FC-D4C400FC6276 (resized).jpeg697AEE59-3A42-4493-97E5-C4BBAA58E8C2 (resized).jpeg697AEE59-3A42-4493-97E5-C4BBAA58E8C2 (resized).jpeg
    #28 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

What do I grab here?
    [quoted image][quoted image]

You don't, you just look at it and complain aboot the fan noise

#29 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Funny you mention Congo. I took my Congo to a show one year, and the standard shooter knob got broken. When I went to buy a replacement, I saw that there was a clear standard knob, so I bought that as a sort of “diamond” tie in. It’s the only shooter rod/knob I ever bought - I think it was $15.

Mine also broke, so I decided to "fix it" with a diamond door pull knob. I drilled it out and attached it with epoxy. I like the idea of using door pull knobs as they are products designed with a similar size and function as a shooter knob.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#30 2 years ago

I think they can be a nice add on if they fit the same basic form and feel as a standard shooter rod. I really don't like the ones that are oversized or oddly shaped, as that interferes with functionality. The only one I have every purchased was the Aztec Coin for JJPOTC, which is the same size and shape as the standard one, and the orientation doesn't matter if it spins. Some people like that big sawed-in-half plastic pistol shooter rod, but I think something like that is just too awkward to be practical.

#31 2 years ago

The only ones I like are these

20201017_175458 (resized).jpg20201017_175458 (resized).jpg
    #32 2 years ago

I dig them. Except the TMNT one; the handle sticking out looks like a bad idea for passing by.

#33 2 years ago

I bought a few cheap colored knobs from Marcos. However I wasn’t able to unscrew my old standard knob in order to replace it. I basically ruined my plunger shaft trying to unscrew the knob. I tried this on POTC Stern. I have some other newer Sterns I’d like to change out too. Are you supposed to able to unscrew them or are you supposed to purchase the replacement plunger as well? Anybody have experience?

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I bought a few cheap colored knobs from Marcos. However I wasn’t able to unscrew my old standard knob in order to replace it. I basically ruined my plunger shaft trying to unscrew the knob. I tried this on POTC Stern. I have some other newer Sterns I’d like to change out too. Are you supposed to able to unscrew them or are you supposed to purchase the replacement plunger as well? Anybody have experience?

I would never think to try to disconnect a knob from a shooter rod. They just aren’t built that way.

#35 2 years ago

My poll answer also equally applies to toppers and playfield figurines.

#36 2 years ago

Most I don’t really care for however, I did like the Led Zeppelin one so I picked that up. I’m leaving Metallica with the original knob and Halloween comes with what looks like a high quality knife handle so no complaints there. I think they’re cool If made well and really tie in the theme without being awkward.

#37 2 years ago

I love the Lior shooter knob on GNR.
    Most of my other machines have stock shooters.
    It can get out of control, but they're easily removed like most other mods. I don't expect them to add to the value of the machine but I also don't plan to sell.

16268042769923977919174630256149 (resized).jpg16268042769923977919174630256149 (resized).jpg
    #38 2 years ago

TNA $86.95 plus shipping sorry nope

tna (resized).jpgtna (resized).jpg
    #39 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I forgot that Stern did the Jacky knob for Aerosmith - that’s a great example of a knob that borks an important skill shot. It totally breaks the “do no harm” rule. I mean, the player only touches 3 things: the lockbar, the flipper buttons and the shooter knob. Those should be left alone. What’s next, foam-covered lockbars? Lockbars with art wraps?
    The 2” knobs are ridiculous, it feels like I’m grabbing a doorknob. Do I pull it or turn it?

Whynotbothgirl--.gifWhynotbothgirl--.gif

#40 2 years ago

Here are some of my favorites. I prefer the Candy Apple Shooters where I match the cabinet colors to the game to my shooters that I make. They come in 3 sizes, small , medium and large. Medium to be the most requested size. The Character Head shooters are also very popular , and probably 50/50 by customers choices. As I agree some heads are oddly shaped or to big, some actually work quite well. The deadpool heads work well, not to big, smooth to the hand and has good color and captures the obvious theme of the game. Some shooters that tend to not work well in my opinion , are ones that stick out to far. Stern's TMNT ninja sword handle , comes to mind. I remember my factory gun handle on my Batman Forever caught my hip everytime I walked by it. Many choices...to each there own. www.modfatherpinball.com

ss_eye_96dbe185-f8f3-4ab1-bb4e-52d7a9f74fbf_large (resized).pngss_eye_96dbe185-f8f3-4ab1-bb4e-52d7a9f74fbf_large (resized).pngAFeyeballinstlsd_1024x1024 (resized).jpgAFeyeballinstlsd_1024x1024 (resized).jpgamberrodlg1_large (resized).pngamberrodlg1_large (resized).pngegg_on_game_compact (resized).jpgegg_on_game_compact (resized).jpgmetrod_1024x1024 (resized).pngmetrod_1024x1024 (resized).pngmet_game_23c8a17a-f119-43a2-9bb5-a33b49cd7bcb_1024x1024 (resized).jpgmet_game_23c8a17a-f119-43a2-9bb5-a33b49cd7bcb_1024x1024 (resized).jpg

#41 2 years ago

I look at them the same way as toppers -- a few of them are cool, a lot of them aren't, and if a machine I buy has one on it then fine, but I don't actively seek them out. You can still get a good feel off the ones that are ball/knob shaped (eg. amber egg on JP2), but the face-shaped or other elaborately designed ones, not so much.

#42 2 years ago
    Quoted from bob_e:

TNA $86.95 plus shipping sorry nope
    [quoted image]

That one was really big too. It just felt weird.

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from lpeters82:

That one was really big too. It just felt weird.

That’s what she said

#44 2 years ago

I would guess most tourney players hate em. And most casual home guys like em. Like me

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I would guess most tourney players hate em. And most casual home guys like em. Like me

Yep. I’m a tournament player and have run tournaments, and the last thing I want is the knob being a problem.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Just awful, one of the worst “mods” in pinball, and in a bottomless sea of alligator clips and plastic garbage that’s really saying something.
    A mod should be - at the absolute least - unobtrusive to game play. These shooter knobs generally feel TERRIBLE in the players’ hand, and the added weight and girth completely ruin the feel a player has when plunging a ball. Not to mention, they appear to be disease vectors to me, with all these unnatural nooks and crannies that attract dirt, filth, dead skin etc and appear to be difficult to clean.
    The fact that most of them look absolutely moronic, resembling sex toys purchased in an adult store in Lilliputia, is simply the cherry on a total shit sundae.
    Some of them are tolerable (I can think of very few - maybe Stern’s official game of thrones knob, or the 3rd party funhouse steeplechase knobs a customer asked me to install) but by and large they are a complete aberration and a sign of how off the rails “pinball modding” has become.
    “Do no harm” should be the number 1 rule in pinball modding, and when I’m grappling with a giant, clumsy 3D Incredible Hulk head when I’m simply trying to plunge a ball, clearly that rule has been violated.

Where's a good adult store in Liliputia? Been looking for new shooter rods.

#47 2 years ago

Prefer just this.

knob (resized).jpgknob (resized).jpg
    #48 2 years ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Prefer just this.
    [quoted image]

You fuckin' weirdo!!!!

#49 2 years ago

If I can make it myself on the cheep than I love them !

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #50 2 years ago

Not a huge deal in the end, but i'd rather the rod be easy to use than play to the aesthetics of the game. Not very many after market shooter rods check both boxes.

There are 62 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-shooter-knobs-love-em-or-hate-em and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.