(Topic ID: 32334)

DIY Pinball Project, The Gumball Rally

By trainkid4449

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1616.JPG
    IMG_1615.JPG
    IMG_1586.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1595[1].JPG
    IMG_1555[1].JPG
    IMG_1573[1].JPG
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    IMG_0916[1].JPG
    IMG_0919[1].JPG
    There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 11 years ago

For my high school graduation project I am building a pinball machine from scratch. So far I have a whitewood version and am planning on building the final version soon. All of the logic is controlled using relays and stepper units from EM machines. The scoring is done using a simple flash program that interprets key strokes from an iPac board as points. The game is based on the film The Gumball Rally (1976). I don't have a rule set written yet, but the goal of the game is to light all seven inserts in a gum ball machine drawing on the playfield to spell gum ball. There will be several stand up target on the upper playfield and the ramp will be made using plexiglass. I also need to finish the habitrail for the right upper playfield drain. I'm looking for suggestions on the layout and how the artwork should be done. Thanks.
    Video:

IMG_0530[1].JPGIMG_0530[1].JPG IMG_0531[1].JPGIMG_0531[1].JPG IMG_0532[1].JPGIMG_0532[1].JPG

#2 11 years ago

Durf.

Post edited by Chitownpinball : Because I'm a stupid.

#3 11 years ago

he has drops. that center ramp might want to be moved over some. Your going to get all center drains the way it is now. Give it a slight move to the left, and will stop that from happening as much, and still be able to make the shot fine. if you need metal rails and stuff, let me know, I have piles of them. If you live near WI, you can come over and dig through the stuff I have and take what you want.

#4 11 years ago

Nice! I wish I had the technical know-how to do this in high school. Looks like a fun design although I wonder how often the ball is going to go SDTM coming back down the ramp.

#5 11 years ago

Looking good keep us posted on your progress.

#6 11 years ago

Great project

#7 11 years ago

Very ambitious. Good luck and hope it turns out awesome.

#8 11 years ago

Pretty cool. Well done.

Only noticed one center drain the way the ramp is so I wouldn't be too concerned with that.

Look forward to seeing more as the project progresses!

#9 11 years ago

I dig the layout, like an alternate black knight (less ramps, flippers spread out more). I would maybe put a wall on the bottom right upper playfield, that ball drop is going to be hell on the lower one (maybe have a drain that empties into a scoop that gently brings it back to the lower playfield)

How far are you going to take this? Are you going to have sounds? artwork? Would love a video later on showing how you implemented the scoring with flash.

Are you going to add something to shoot for (targets) on the upper playfield? or is the point to just rack up points with the pop bumpers?

Btw, this is pretty inspiring. If a high school student can go this far, imagine how far some of us adults should be able to get. I'm also happy whenever I see the next generation getting passionate about this hobby.. perhaps it won't go away?

#10 11 years ago

This is really impressive! Way beyond anything I was doing in high school. I second the suggestion to move the ramp off center a bit. But I think overall it looks awesome. Please keep us updated as you progress. Do you have sketches or anything of what you're envisioning for the final art work?

#11 11 years ago

Is that a Checkpoint cabinet?

#13 11 years ago

Thanks for the compliments. I plan on slanting the ramp a bit to avoid SDTM drains. I'm also going to make it a bit smaller to make it a more challenging shot. I'm going to add a wire ramp on the upper right playfield drain that feeds the ball to the right flipper. There are going to be a few stand-up targets on the upper and lower playfield. I'm not sure what to do about the artwork for the final version. Ill probably use some sort of vinyl decal for the playfield. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to here them. I'll post some construction pictures later today. I'll be using my schools workshop for the final version so the cuts will be more precise. The computer will run a soundboard that responds to keystrokes generated by the iPac board. I am still looking for another playfield support for a Checkpoint cabinet if anyone knows where to buy one.

#14 11 years ago
    Quoted from trainkid4449:

Ill probably use some sort of vinyl decal for the playfield. If anyone has any other ideas I'd love to here them

You'll need a 1 trace of the playfield after it's designed (IE where posts, targets, pop bumpers, ramps are). If you need help with it I can give a crack at it (would need a nice clear single snapshot of it as straight down as possible)

The computer will run a soundboard that responds to keystrokes generated by the iPac board

Might as well since you already have a PC in it, and already have IPAC doing other things

#15 11 years ago

Great job! I like the layout and the shots seem fluid. However, I do have one constructive comment.

It looks like you have a ton of room under the upper playfield. Maybe you could rectify this with a loop sort of mechanism or lighted targets? I am just throwing out ideas; it appears that you have a lot of dead space that you could utilize. Maybe the upper playfield could be plexiglass? Just throwing out ideas here.

This is a great project! Please keep us posed.

#16 11 years ago

Here are some pictures of the construction and a basic rule set for spelling GUMBALL.

IMG_0480[1].JPGIMG_0480[1].JPG IMG_0513[1].JPGIMG_0513[1].JPG IMG_0468[1].JPGIMG_0468[1].JPG

#17 11 years ago

Spell GUMBALL
    G - Complete left drop target bank 3 times
    U - Complete right drop target bank, First down starts timer, complete within 60 seconds to light U
    M - Shoot upper playfield left loop 4 times
    B - Shoot upper playfield middle loop 5 times
    A - Hit all 5 upper playfield standup targets in one ball -
    L - Enter VUK (can enter through top or lower playfield) to upper playfield 5 times
    L - Enter kick out hole (under upper playfield) 3 times.

I also attached the program that keeps score.

IMG_0489[1].JPGIMG_0489[1].JPG IMG_0513[1].JPGIMG_0513[1].JPG IMG_0495[1].JPGIMG_0495[1].JPG

#18 11 years ago

if you create your playfield art in the computer, you could have Greatwich just direct ink all your art on it for you. WOuld be the easiest approch.

#19 11 years ago

I have a small update. I added a hole in the upper loop. If the ball is hit hard it completes the loop, if not it drains down to the main playfield. I think this will be the final design for the playfield, unless anyone else has any suggestions.

IMG_0634[1].JPGIMG_0634[1].JPG

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

if you create your playfield art in the computer, you could have Greatwich just direct ink all your art on it for you. WOuld be the easiest approch.

I looked into it and this method seems a little expensive, although it probably gets the best result. I think I'm going to use 3M Controltac. I found it suggested here:http://flashredo.weebly.com/ and it looks pretty good. I'm not sure how I'm going to do the artwork since I'm not very good with graphic design. I may be able to get one of my teachers to help.

#21 11 years ago

How about getting an artist to paint it? Then it would have the potential to look cooler than poor graphic design and it would be far less expensive. Someone good with a spray can or an air brush would be extra cool. If you need text for drops and inserts then you could make small decals for those or perhaps spray with a stencil.

3 weeks later
    #22 11 years ago

Update?

#23 11 years ago

if you airbrush this, it's going to look like art on the side of a van.

#24 11 years ago

I took a break over Christmas, but I've started disassembling the playfield so I can draw in a drafting program. I also started on the control board for the machine and am waiting for the Ipac board to arrive.

IMG_0678[1].JPGIMG_0678[1].JPG

#25 11 years ago

I'm still looking for a front playfield support bracket if anyone knows where to get one.

#26 11 years ago

looks like you have one in the picture. Your talking about the piece where your hooks go into?

#27 11 years ago

I only have one correct support bracket. The other one is a temporary bracket I made out of a picture hanger.

1 week later
    #28 11 years ago

I started drawing the playfield design in SolidWorks and also started wiring the Ipac board. The biggest issue now is how to do the plastics and artwork. Anyone have any advice on how to make custom plastics and what material to use?

IMG_0698[1].JPGIMG_0698[1].JPG IMG_0700[1].JPGIMG_0700[1].JPG

#29 11 years ago

Anyone have any advice on how to make custom plastics and what material to use?

If you're already using solidworks, just model the shape you want (using posts as mounting points). As far as material, just use lexan (polycarbonate). If you want them laser cut, there are a few people on here that will do them very reasonably (like laseriffic). You could potentially cut them out yourself (make a quick drawing in solidworks in 1 scale), but you'll likely have to do a lot of sanding on the edges to get them smooth.

#30 11 years ago

Thanks for the idea of getting the plastics laser cut. That seems to be the best method. I also wondered how I should add the artwork under the plastics. I found a guide a while ago, but seem to have lost it.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

As far as material, just use lexan (polycarbonate).

Oooh, don't use polycarbonate for playfield plastics. That stuff is brittle and will crack easily from any kind of impact.

The stuff used on games is PETG, which is a form of polyester. You can buy it in sheets from your local hobby shop. It's the stuff with the blue film protecting both sides.

Later,
    EV

#32 11 years ago

I also wondered if anyone knew of a place that would cut the wood using a CNC Router. I have access to tools at my school, but since I have to draw the plans anyway, this seems like it would produce a much more accurate playfield. I'm not sure of the cost though. Has anyone had work like this done before?

#33 11 years ago

I wonder if ponoko would do work like this?

That, or you could always contract ben heck, he has a full 8' x 4' router

#34 11 years ago

I looked into having it done locally, but every place I checked isn't willing to do one-offs.

#35 11 years ago

I might contact CPR and see if how much it would cost to have them cut the playfield.

#36 11 years ago

I'm still working on the Solid Works drawing and was wondering if someone could provide the measurements for the out-lane roll-over switches cut out. Thanks.

#37 11 years ago

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good source for round plastic inserts. I got some from Marco, but they have the letter on top and I'm not sure how to remove it without damaging the finish.

#39 11 years ago

Thanks I'll see if they have what I need.

#40 11 years ago

I got some from Marco, but they have the letter on top and I'm not sure how to remove it without damaging the finish.

Sand off the letter with just plain old sandpaper

About 2/3rds down the page:

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#41 11 years ago

Thanks. That whole thread will be very helpful.

1 week later
    #42 11 years ago

I've contacted a local company that may be able to cut the playfield using a CNC Router. I also did a lot on the control board. Now the main issue is artwork. If anyone has any ideas on where I can find an artist that would be willing to do this for under $200 that would be great. I am looking for someone local, but haven't found anyone yet. Thanks.

IMG_0708[1].JPGIMG_0708[1].JPG IMG_0710[1].JPGIMG_0710[1].JPG

#43 11 years ago

I'm still working on finding someone that will cut the playfield using a CNC router. Does anyone know of someone that could provide this service at a reasonable price?

#44 11 years ago

Where are you located? Do you have a TechShop (www.techshop.ws) near you? They've got all the tools and a bunch of members that I'm sure would be willing to help. It was born from the Maker community so this kind of project is right up their alley.
    My local laser cutting guy has a CNC router and has done great work for me in the past. Maybe ask your local laser guys?
    Good luck, looking good.
    Art

#45 11 years ago

Where are you located? I do a lot of cnc these days for the virtual pins etc, a playfield is on my list of wanna do

2 weeks later
    #46 11 years ago

its all just oppionion of course, but i think the ramp angle and size could be tweeked some, i would thin it out and off set it to make it a little more of a challenge- plus it will give you more on your first level and i would at least think of magnets for some ball lock multi ball system. also its just me but any customs will be wide bodies.

#47 11 years ago

Looking good! I've been actively asking around for CNC services around Boston lately... I have a bunch of playfields and plastics to cut myself. Still haven't found one yet

#48 11 years ago
    Quoted from lladnip:

its all just oppionion of course, but i think the ramp angle and size could be tweeked some, i would thin it out and off set it to make it a little more of a challenge- plus it will give you more on your first level and i would at least think of magnets for some ball lock multi ball system. also its just me but any customs will be wide bodies.

For the final layout I made the ramp much smaller and added a kick out hole gaurded by a single drop target to the right of the ramp. This way I have the option of adding multiball in the future. The original plan was to make a wide body machine, but when this cabinet came up for sale for around $100, I changed my mind.

#49 11 years ago

http://www.100kgarages.com/map_fabber.php?usertype=&radius=100&address=&tooltype=&searchType=map&searchField=

Put in your zip and this website will give you the closest person who does CNC routering/laser cutting.

#50 11 years ago

For the final layout I made the ramp much smaller and added a kick out hole gaurded by a single drop target to the right of the ramp. This way I have the option of adding multiball in the future. The original plan was to make a wide body machine, but when this cabinet came up for sale for around $100, I changed my mind.

hey you have to go with what you have to work with, your doing a great job!!! really looking forwar to seeing more pics.

There are 119 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-pinball-project and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.