20220815_174618 (resized).jpg
20220813_163431 (resized).jpg
20220817_170016 (resized).jpg
20220811_184618 (resized).jpg
20220808_173531 (resized).jpg
29E5F2A7-1935-45B5-BE3B-9B6B805EAFF0 (resized).jpeg
IMG_8347 (resized).JPG
IMG_8346 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr2xbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#266 8 years ago
Quoted from PinChili:

I'm looking for options when re-doing playfield artwork (for a re-theme.) As near as I can tell the options are:
Remove the pf inserts, sand the entire playfield clean, replace the inserts then:
1) Have new artwork hand painted (airbrushed or otherwise) then clear coat.
2) Design your own artwork and send the playfield to "some" manufacturer who can print the new artwork directly on the playfield for you
OR
3) Have your artwork printed on a mylar type material and apply it yourself
Suggestions? Who has the equipment to print art directly onto a playfield? Are there playfield artwork templates available for certain games? Any tips on sanding a playfield and prepping it?
THANKS

Some pin-parts suppliers (e.g. Marco Specialties) offer mylar sheets by-the-foot which are 3mil thick. My thought was to use printable photo paper sticker sheets. Using hi-res graphics on your computer, the image will look sharp on the photo sticker. To avoid covering up inserts and saucers, make an 8.5x11 template per 8.5x11 space on the PF, scan each template, and add the image for that area. After you've "stickered" the whole PF, lay down mylar top to bottom. I instantly realize this method has a great chance for error because lining up the sheets just right might be difficult, and you might need to design the artwork to hide the borders of the sheets. But this might be the easiest DIY method.. Also if you think there ever might be a chance you or someone will want to restore the machine, mylar the whole PF first, lay down your graphics, and mylar again. Makes removing them as easy as pulling off the old mylar, and adding a total of maybe 10mil to the surface of the PF shouldn't make too much of a difference on most games.

The idea came to me when I was making "Frozen" stickers for my daughter using images from the internet. The images were high-res and when printed on photo sticker paper, looked as good if not better than stickers you'd by in a store. (Which is what started the whole thing, "Honey, we don't need to buy those, we can make them ourselves..")

3 months later
#279 8 years ago
Quoted from gameroompinball:

The eprom was updated to display new text on the displays.

I am curious about this part. How do you do this? Did you do it yourself or did ps user Applejuice from mypinballs.com do it for you? I've talked to him about it and I know he is the one who did the custom display eprom for the Goonies redo of a Gottlieb Hollywood Heat.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mr2xbass.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-pinball-machinesre-themed-pinball-machines?tu=mr2xbass and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.