028.JPG
036.JPG
025.JPG
021.JPG
019.JPG
015.JPG
012.JPG
#1 9 years ago

A while back I custom painted my BSD molded parts and the feedback on them was positive. I ended up doing quite a few sets for fellow pinsiders. (Thanks everyone.) I then got some questions about what else I could do. One machine that kept popping up was Indiana Jones. Especially the 2 molded ruins. One pinsider asked me to do his and wanted a more realistic look. Again, like the BSD parts, I tried to stay fairly close to the original color so they would not look too much out of place. I tried to keep the stone color warm, and to add a little more "aging" to the final look. When the parts were painted at the factory, only one color was used. You had the color of the plastic, and some detail color in the indentations of the plastic. I lay down an uneven base color first, followed by a thinned down paint to fill in the detail. I then drybrush different colors in a few stages, for a final effect that has a wider range of colors and looks much more natural. The owner of the machine agreed with me that some foliage would compliment the stone color while adding some contrast with a little bit of realism. Lichen was applied to the parts and now look much more like they would appear in a jungle. All the detail is implied rather than being exact. I can not hand paint each and every crack. The tough part was coming up with a paint scheme and to try not to go overboard.

The Idol had some dust and grime added to it along with some "jewels" for eyes. Now there is more of a contrast in the face because it is more visual of whether the eyes are closed or not. This was all pretty much straightfoward with some dark paint applied and then wiped off to see the metallic finish underneath.

The Biplane was a a little bit weathered in the movie so I just added a little bit of dirt and added the black on the rudder to make it more movie accurate. Not much could be done with this part.

The German plane had more potential. The model used for the movie had a srange camo pattern. Is was all geometric type shapes with all straight lines. After discussing the paint scheme with the owner, we decided to go with a generic type camo pattern, similar to planes of that era. It is actually my own design. Once the basic color was down, I applied some exaust and dirt streaks along with some chipped paint on the leading edges. Those old war birds had a lot of power, and the props threw a lot of stuff onto and through the paint on the plane. The decals were hand made.

Any comments or suggestions would be welcomed. I will post some pictures along with some of the original parts for comparison.

#2 9 years ago

A few pics....016.JPG016.JPG026.JPG026.JPG023.JPG023.JPG

#3 9 years ago

014.JPG014.JPG011.JPG011.JPG

#4 9 years ago

Damn fine job there! Nice detail, not overblown...I'm sure it looks great inside the game.

#5 9 years ago

012.JPG012.JPG015.JPG015.JPG019.JPG019.JPG

#6 9 years ago

Very nice job!

#7 9 years ago

021.JPG021.JPG025.JPG025.JPG036.JPG036.JPG

#8 9 years ago

028.JPG028.JPG029.JPG029.JPG032.JPG032.JPG

#9 9 years ago

038.JPG038.JPG008.JPG008.JPG

#10 9 years ago

Very nice. Agree that the subtlety works well.
Only thing I'm concerned about is the flocking(?), will that break apart and dance around the machine? Looks sturdy mind.

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from ThatsaKicker:

Very nice. Agree that the subtlety works well.Only thing I'm concerned about is the flocking(?), will that break apart and dance around the machine? Looks sturdy mind.

It is actually very flexible and rubbery. It should not come apart. Of course if it was tugged on, or if something hard brushed up against it I'm sure that it would break free.

#12 9 years ago

Creativity knows no bounds. Outstanding!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from mcclad:

It is actually very flexible and rubbery. It should not come apart. Of course if it was tugged on, or if something hard brushed up against it I'm sure that it would break free.

Good to hear! Again, top notch work Sir!

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback. Its good to know that I did not destroy sombody's pinball parts.

#15 9 years ago

Looks great

#16 9 years ago

My question is how long does it take to accomplish all of the above by you? Where should I be mailing my parts to?

#17 9 years ago

I would like you to do my ruins. I am going to be in Fairhaven next week, I could drop off or I could ship them to you. Let me know. Thanks

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from ff6735:

My question is how long does it take to accomplish all of the above by you? Where should I be mailing my parts to?

PM inbound. Thanks for the interest in my work. : )

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from msj2222:

I would like you to do my ruins. I am going to be in Fairhaven next week, I could drop off or I could ship them to you. Let me know. Thanks

PM inbound. Thank you too for the interest in my work. : )

#20 9 years ago

Hey everyone, I am actually the owner of this tester set of IJ parts that Roland has done. I have not yet received the parts, but from what I see so far, I am extremely pleased. I can tell you guys one thing, Roland is a class act to deal with and always wants to achieve the highest level of detail for your modifications to please you. Can't say enough good things about him and really cant wait to get these in and install them. I will actually be doing a full restore on my machine soon, but figured I would go ahead and let Roland work his magic on his first IJ!

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Hey everyone, I am actually the owner of this tester set of IJ parts that Roland has done. I have not yet received the parts, but from what I see so far, I am extremely pleased. I can tell you guys one thing, Roland is a class act to deal with and always wants to achieve the highest level of detail for your modifications to please you. Can't say enough good things about him and really cant wait to get these in and install them. I will actually be doing a full restore on my machine soon, but figured I would go ahead and let Roland work his magic on his first IJ!

I hope that you did not mind that I posted this thread about the IJ parts. As far as a class act, I could learn a lot from you. Thanks for the kind words. Just hope that you are as happy with them when you receive them in person. If you could post a few pics when they are installed I would love to see them in the machine. Thanks for posting on this thread. : )

#22 9 years ago

Roland, you are more than welcome to post all the pictures you want of your work, as it is astounding! I will puts some pics up on this thread once I get them installed. Thanks again!

#23 9 years ago

Do you have any before pics?

#24 9 years ago

I might. Let me check.

#25 9 years ago

001.JPG001.JPG005.JPG005.JPG017.JPG017.JPG

#26 9 years ago

018.JPG018.JPG

019.JPG019.JPG
#28 9 years ago

Beautiful!! What does it look like in the game?

#29 9 years ago

I don't know yet. I hope they look good when installed.

#30 9 years ago

Wow!
The ruins looks superb!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Hartford, CT
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 1,319.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

$ 85.00
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 449.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Barrie, ON
$ 123.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 0.00
Lighting - Backbox
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.