View topic image gallery

internet_pic.jpg
internet_pic_2.jpg
Megatron_phase_3_002.jpg
Megatron_phase_3_003.jpg
Megatron_phase_3_001.jpg
megatron_before_and_after.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Here is a custom Megatron i'm working on for my TF LE decepticon version. The one in the game is lame as shit. Bugs me everytime I look at it. So i'm in the process of taking the entire thing out (leaving the cannon). Going to light up his eyes and have his arm move up and down , instead of that lame half body one, that is worshiping the player god. I'll keep everyone posted on the update. Here is a picture of the toy I started with, and custom painted and altered to look more badass as megatron should.

megatron_before_and_after.jpgmegatron_before_and_after.jpg

#2 11 years ago

So this is what i'm starting with. Major alterations are going to be done, but everything will be reversible.

Here's the lame beginning toy.

http://www.sternpinball.com/Resize.ashx?img=%2Fupload%2FGames%2FTF+LE%2FSPI-TransformersLE-111911-125aLO.jpg&w=470&h=470

#3 11 years ago

Lose the robe, nobody watched the movie that closely, well ok me and you did. Other than that I think it will be a big improvement.

#4 11 years ago

Well I have it so I can take it off if I want. But the hermit robe, I thought was pretty badass in the 3rd movie. (which is the best of all 3). Otherwise he looks to much like every other robot.

#5 11 years ago

Looking forward to this.

I haven't seen the 3rd movie yet. I loved 1 & 2, you really think 3 was the best? May have to go buy it. Been waiting for it to hit hbo or showtime.

#6 11 years ago

Looks great Skywalker! Can't believe that use to be a 2007 voyager class Megatron!

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I thought was pretty badass in the 3rd movie. (which is the best of all 3).

Did you really just say the 3rd movie was the best of the 3????

#8 11 years ago

This looks awesome, can't wait to see it installed!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

absolutely it was. The sentinal prime story line, it's loosely adapted from the actual TV series. The story is more solid and has less loopholes than the other 2. The battle scenes were a little farther back so you could almost see what's going on. Not like the 1 and 2 where everything was so close up, all you saw was gears moving. Plus you didn't have those terrible gheto duo robots. Least Wheelie and Brain were cute and entertaining. They were well done. Plus, the chic in the 3rd movie, acts a hell of a lot better than megan fox.

The all spark story line is terrible. making robots out of everything from a touch is a weak ass story line. Having the TF's be able to change into anything they touch is weak ass in itself. They did that kind of crap much less than the other 2. That's why it's the best out of the 3. None of them are fantastic, but 3 is the best of the 3 shit piles.

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Looking forward to this.
I haven't seen the 3rd movie yet. I loved 1 & 2, you really think 3 was the best? May have to go buy it. Been waiting for it to hit hbo or showtime.

btw, you can stream this on netflix.

#11 11 years ago

paint job is completely done now. LED installed and starting the process of installing it.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from 85vett:

Looking forward to this.

If you loved 1 and 2, I'm surprised you haven't seen 3....2 was awful...so 3 should knock your F'ing socks off lol.

The robot stuff was the best of the 3 and it was shot much more cohesively and less cutty than Bay usually likes to be. He had to do this to make the 3D work. The 3D looks great and makes the movie really fun to watch, even if it's a piece of crap lol. They made Sam extremely bitchy and unlikable...most of the characters are pretty annoying, too...Michael Bay seems to think most people function like they're on crack. For some reason Optimus always disappears for lengthy battles, then shows up to clean up the mess. That's one thing they never quite got right in these movies...Optimus LEADS...he doesn't just vanish and show up whenever. I like Megatron in this movie...he's kind of a lazy bitch and lets everyone else do his dirty work. Starscream gets a lot of decent screentime as well.

#13 11 years ago

Plus, Shockwave was badass, but I wish they would have let Him do the ass kicking instead of the giant Cybertron mining drill. Shockwave was the badest of the bad in the comics and the TV series. He should have been the primary ass kicker here too (which he was but didn't get his own hands dirty).

#14 11 years ago

looks better without it

#16 11 years ago

Looking Good Capt
Cannot wait to see the finished product,
are you going to show a step by step as to what you did?

#17 11 years ago

I could. I'll put in a full description. LED's are in place. I'll be mounting it in the game tonight or tomorrow. Trying to get the cannon to move with the toy somehow. Still in the works.

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Made me throw up in my mouth! Lol

Love this pin, but Ugh those movies...

Buck

#19 11 years ago

hey now. I hate the movies just as much as any real TF Gen 1 fan. But....... 3 did have a feel and story taken from the Gen 1 cartoon series. Remember the episodes where megatron got the mayor to believe the decepticons were good, and autobots were bad. Had the world send the autobots off the planet and rerouted them into the sun? The Sentinal prime story, was very similar to that. Had much less of them changing forms from rubbing against anything that was remotely mechanical. Vast improvement over 1 and 2. But a huge improvement over shit, is just elite shit. But at least they are progressing. But this game is awesome. If it was Gen 1, it would be phenomenal!

#20 11 years ago

Loved 1 hated 2 thought 3 was very underated and a really good popcorn flick. Damn you Neo I remember that episode:(O

#21 11 years ago

I'm 37 so transformers was huge for me in my childhood heyday. That said; I loved TF 1, hated 2 the first three times then it finally clicked and despite all the continuity issues and the human transformer i actually really enjoy it a lot; and 3 is great all around. And how many times does megatron seem to die or get defeated in the cartoons yet still come back? I expect him back in TF4; he's a great villain IMO.

#22 11 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I'm 37 so Transformers was huge for me in my childhood heyday. That said; I loved TF 1, hated 2 the first three times then it finally clicked and despite all the continuity issues and the human transformer i actually really enjoy it a lot; and 3 is great all around. And how many times does megatron seem to die or get defeated in the cartoons yet still come back? I expect him back in TF4; he's a great villain IMO.

Here's the thing...all 3 movies are pieces of shit, honestly....but there's some pretty amazing technical artistry in them that's pretty fascinating to watch....and as someone who grew up w/ Transformers, it's just really amazing to see these robots transform "for real" - and the fact that they got Peter Cullen for Optimus makes the movies "legit". If you go back and watch the original show, it's also pretty shitty...but our "kid perception" of it warped into the most amazing thing ever. So - it's hard to fault the movies for being so dopey...they're based on a dopey cartoon. That beings said, I still love the cartoon, and if the movies are on TV, I'll sit there and watch the whole thing regardless of the stupidity. Man - when I went on the new Transformers 3D Ride at Universal Studios, it...it brought a tear to my eye.

#23 11 years ago

ok, worked on this project hardcore last night. Ran into some snags. First off, after taking that plastic piece off that does a U under megatron, I found out, that the metal bracket is fully behind that piece as well as what holds and supports the cannon bracket. So I took everything out. Fabricated a new metal bracket that can support the cannon yet free up that right side. (nice to have spare metal guides laying around in piles). I wired up the LED eyes, and test ran it. Looks great. You can see the wire laying on the playfield yet, as I don't want to hook it up until it's ready to stay in. Custom made the plastic base for the new megatron to stand on. Should be fairly easy to connect the arm into the mech that's back there to make his arm move up and down. I have him leaning over the cannon, and working on making a cover to completely cover the coil bracket and look like part of the cannon.

Megatron_phase_3_001.jpgMegatron_phase_3_001.jpg Megatron_phase_3_003.jpgMegatron_phase_3_003.jpg Megatron_phase_3_002.jpgMegatron_phase_3_002.jpg

#24 11 years ago

this is gonna look awesome when you're done!

#25 11 years ago

Not sure if I should keep the "airball" fix plastic in or out. I didn't really care for how much surface area it blocked before.

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Not sure if I should keep the "airball" fix plastic in or out. I didn't really care for how much surface area it blocked before.

What does it "block" ? I has mostly see-through art, it only hovers over the target...and it's functional.

#27 11 years ago

What i didnt like when i did this was it was not to scale with the others. Being in the front it looked odd to me. Hence why i went all le on my pro.

#28 11 years ago

I'm still working on a Mod for this. I have a temporary set up right now. My biggest problems are working movement into the toy and like the CaptainNeo said, that metal bracket that supports the cannon and such. I'll have to fabricate something. I also found out that they way I had my Megatron sitting, it was blocking the view of the Autobot rollovers and part of the Pops; I have since changed that. A work in progress. I do like the looks of this setup though. Very nice.

I would also like to put a light in the cannon to light when fired. I know people have talked about it, but I'm not sure if anyone has done it.

Chris

#29 11 years ago

I'm working on that as well. It's not hard to sneak a pair of wires in there, and surface mount a red LED to the end of the plunger unit. I"ll work on that after I get the cannon cover finished. trying to make it so it's low profile so it doesn't block the upper lanes. That's a main concern of mine.

#30 11 years ago

Looks great so far. Bring mine to the next Gameworks monthly tournament

#31 11 years ago

and haul it up those stairs? Yea, that would happen. Besides, they already have a TF there.

#32 11 years ago

Megatron is done. Took some video footage of it in action. Have to upload it to youtube first.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Megatron is done. Took some video footage of it in action. Have to upload it to youtube first.

False alarm if you didn't uploaded yet

#34 11 years ago

Here is the video.

I have some before footage of what it looked like before, for those that havn't seen the LE's in action.

#35 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Here is the video.
» YouTube video
I have some before footage of what it looked like before, for those that havn't seen the LE's in action.

Bad@ss Neo. You gonna offer retrofit kits?

#36 11 years ago

there is no way I can do kits for these. Between the custom modifications to megatron himself, the paint job, custom made plastics and custom metal brackets. It would take me so much time and energy to make a kit, it would cost $400 at least. Doesn't seem like a viable option unfortunately. Plus, the installation is so complex, most people would get fed up trying to install it.

#37 11 years ago

That looks awesome. GREAT job. Really impressive.

#38 11 years ago

That looks wicked Neo, great job

Are you tackling any of the other characters next?

#39 11 years ago

Its very impressive that you have the vision and ability to engineer a change like this. But I don't really see it do much of anything during the mode, outside of the eyes blinking etc. When does the arm raise?

I like the light in the trough. How did you do that?

#40 11 years ago

Love it!

#41 11 years ago

Well, i'm looking at the other characters, and optimus and ironhide are passable in their current state. Starscream, looks cheap and like crap. So he might be the next one I do. Which should be very easy, as he only needs a paintjob and straps down.

As far as the red lights in the scoop, those are the opto lights, so that's original. You just see it more because the airball deflector is off. The red flasher on the side is also standard, but you see it more because the plastic that was in that spot. Blocks a bunch of the light.

#42 11 years ago

Neo throw up pics of the plastics.

#43 11 years ago

you can see them in the video. I didn't take pictures of them out when I was making them. 2 custom plastics, then I used some of the original plastics to do that triangle grid thingy.

#44 11 years ago

kits are impossible to do. for those who have been PMing me.

#45 11 years ago

Did you take a step by step guide on this that you could post Neo?

#46 11 years ago

That came out pretty awesome Neo, any chance to see it without the robe? Much better than the original and yes Starscream looks kinda cheesy interested to see how far you take this.

#47 11 years ago

No step by step. It was a lot of customizing and adjusting. Was a PIA just to get it to work out. Trying to take pictures and explain everything would have been too much of an undertaking.

As for starscream, he would be easy to do, as I would just give him a custom paint job. But he seems oversized, so i'd like to find a slightly smaller and more detailed version of him.

#48 11 years ago

here's some still pics for those that don't want to watch the video.

internet_pic_2.jpginternet_pic_2.jpg internet_pic.jpginternet_pic.jpg

#49 11 years ago

btw, this game is still for sale. Now has color changing speaker grills.

Current price is $6500. Price subject to increase in the future. But till the end of the month, this price stands.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.25
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 24.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-megatron-for-tf-le-decepticon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.