(Topic ID: 133900)

Custom game: P3-ROC or FAST?

By Edenecho

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-dbi-010-1.jpg
    fp-cpu-003-1.jpg
    switch_overview.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fastpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10 8 years ago

Good morning! I am getting my first cup of coffee and headed into the workspace here shortly. I'll chime in with some configuration options for you then. I can also include a new controller option we shared publicly for the first time at CAX that should be the right fit for you game form factor and $$$-wise.

Aaro
    FAST Pinball

#15 8 years ago

Thank you for your patience! My having a bit of coffee is really better for all of us!

After looking at your specs, here are some suggestions:

Suggestion #1:

(1) FAST Core Controller @ $269
    (2) FAST I/O 3208 @ $338 (2 x $169)
    (1) FAST Smart Fuseblock @ $24
    (50) FAST RGB LED Inserts @ $64
    ---------------------------------------------
    Total: $695 USD

This gives you: Control of 256 RGB LEDs, 64 Direct Input Switches, 16 Drivers, Option for 2 Daughter Boards, hardware enable for switching off high voltage (tie to the coin door), Beaglebone Black interface (which includes: safe shutdown circuitry, audio codec and output), DMD interface, etc.

Suggestion #2:

(1) FAST Nano Controller @ $179
    (2) FAST I/O 3208 @ $338 (2 x $169)
    (1) FAST Smart Fuseblock @ $24
    (50) FAST RGB LED Inserts @ $64
    ---------------------------------------------
    Total: $605 USD

This gives you: Control of 256 RGB LEDs, 64 Direct Input Switches, 16 Drivers, Option for 2 Daughter Boards, hardware enable for switching off high voltage (tie to the coin door), etc.

The new FAST Nano Controller was the result of the growing trend towards LCD displays and the desire for a lower cost entry point into the FAST system. The FAST Nano Controller was first shared during our talk at CAX last weekend.

fp-cpu-003-1.jpgfp-cpu-003-1.jpg

You also mentioned the desire to add movement to toys. We have a Servo Motor Controller Daughter Board ($29) which controls up to 6 servo motors and seats directly into any of the FAST I/O boards.

fast-dbi-010-1.jpgfast-dbi-010-1.jpg

We certainly are new on the pinball hardware scene. We spent the last couple years developing the FAST hardware and the firmware/protocol that runs it. Traveling to shows around the country gave us the opportunity to meet a lot of people interested in building pinball. Many people came forward with advice and insight that they were compelled to share when they heard there was new hardware being developed. We studied the work of the forefathers and sought to bring in new technology to provide the solid base to build on for years to come.

We were very excited to meet Brian and Gabe of Mission Pinball who added our hardware to the list of those supported by their Mission Pinball Framework (MPF). We worked hard to make sure that our hardware and firmware made that experience as smooth as possible. Plus it has been a lot of fun getting to know them! By working on the hardware while they work on their software, we have enjoyed the camaraderie that goes with it. I challenge you to find any pinball software better documented than the MPF! Brian is a documenting madman!

While you certainly have options, we hope you would consider our offering. The active developer base using FAST hardware is small at the moment, but its growing with each package of hardware we ship. If you choose the FAST/Mission combo and find that the FAST hardware, support and community is not for you, you can always change hardware later and still use your code. But we will do our best to make sure that thought never crosses your mind!

Yikes, this post is dragging on. Please let me know if you (or anyone else) have any questions. All these details and more will be coming onto our revised website here soon. I am not the documentation pro that Brian is, but its getting there!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#18 8 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Is there a reason you are getting both a lamp matrix and a LED board? Usually it's one or the other.
    Might be able to shave off a little by going only with the PD-LED for your lamps.

It could be to have more RGB LEDs? The PD-LED says it only drives 28 RGB LEDs.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Or 84 traditional LEDs or a combination of both LEDs and RGB LEDs.

For sure. I was just guessing at that being the reason for both.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#26 8 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

That's correct. I specifically chose to develop a parallel LED drive system (PD-LED) because chained LEDs using single-ended digital control lines are not recommended for use under pinball playfields (noisy EM environments). While certainly much more convenient in theory, chained LEDs usage under a playfield is asking for trouble. Depending on a number of factors, they might work, and they might not. You likely won't know until you finish your machine build. IMO, any system encouraging the use of serial LEDs with single-ended control lines without explicit disclaimers informing users about the potential pitfalls should be avoided.

For sure. If you don't follow best practice guidance (keep light runs short, don't run them in parallel to high current, adequately power them, don't use poor connectors, etc) there is the potential for noise/issues.

But let's be honest here, Gerry specifically chose to develop a parallel LED drive system and not focus on chained LEDs because the RGB LEDs were not commonplace or affordable yet. As the price has come down, it made sense. We just intersected with the trend better because we started later. This also allowed us to implement a means of controlling lights and affordable RGB LED form factors that doesn't require you to limit the LED you use, RGB or white, based on price. If you use one of our RGB LEDs and it only ever stays white, no big deal. But Gerry is listening to demand and accommodating.

We have chosen to focus on the promotion and support of the products we have developed. We are not going to make a proactive effort to stake "us vs. them" into every single thread that pops up on pinside. Gerry has his design choices and preferences, we have ours. Ford/Chevy. Coke/Pepsi. We tried to factor in all that we could into the choices we made and continue to do so. If we are pushing out a product, please know that we considered what it would take to support it. The risk/reward, the cost benefit, etc. We will certainly include best practice guidance for using RGB LEDs controlled in the method we implemented. Right now, most of that support is given one-on-one. This is making for a great basis for the documentation and guidance needed more broadly.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Aaron: the title of this thread and the point of the OP was specifically P-ROC vs Fast. So... this is totally the place for that, no?

Certainly. The point I was trying to make was I don't jump into threads with the intent to tear down other designs. Quotes like Gerry's below:

IMO, any system encouraging the use of serial LEDs with single-ended control lines without explicit disclaimers informing users about the potential pitfalls should be avoided.

"OMG! Stay away from FAST because they are using technology that when used improperly has the possibility of issues!"

But these conversations are reminders that we MUST get our product details and documentations wrapped up (seriously, working on it in any spare minute I can!). So many of these questions would be answered! AND it would allow us to highlight what we think are big positives, too. Like how getting your FAST hardware up and running and communicating with the controlling PC only takes the installation of the FTDI Virtual COM Port driver. Or how getting the Mission Pinball Framework to run on FAST only requires defining the 3 FAST COM ports in the MPF config file.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#31 8 years ago

You'd rather attack me then my products. That's fine, but I won't respond in kind.

Where was I attacking you personally?

The closest to an attack was the assumption that you probably didn't design your LED controller firmware to run serial RGBs because it wasn't commonplace or affordable. I applogize if my assumption was off. In the time we have been doing this since early 2013ish, this has been true. RGB LEDs have become more affordable and useful in the WS2812 package. I wasn't saying that you weren't aware of the tech or anything like that. This is the same way that we are watching other LED technology pricing come down so we can make other form factors and controllers that allow us to get them to market in a way that makes sense for our business and makes them affordable to users.

I may be frustrated by the tone of your comments from time to time or getting pounced on by your buddies, but I don't mean to make this personal. Heck, I had even posted about my Lexy experience at CAX earlier: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/lexy-lightspeed-cax-2015#post-2580144

I don't want bad blood between us. I respect the engineering work you do. Seriously. When you came by our booth at CAX I was excited to show you what we had built because I figured you, more than most, would appreciate all the hard work that it takes to make hardware. Plus the FAST WPC Controller you were holding I built by hand (like 350+ tiny surface mount parts!). When you asked where we made our PCBs, we shared it with you. No big deal.

Let's conduct ourselves like we do in person. Civil and respectfully. I'll do my best to make sure my posts don't skew personal. If they could be taken that way, please give me the benefit of the doubt. I will do the same for you.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#35 8 years ago

OK, Aaron, sounds like we're on the same page now. I obviously appreciate your candid and positive thoughts about the P3, and I always enjoy discussions about technical features and reasons for technical decisions on all of our products. We have competing and very similar control system products; so some of the conflicts are unavoidable. Creating and supporting innovative pinball machines and products is my full-time job (with very long hours), and I've lived and breathed these technical discussions for over 6 years now. So, intentional or not, it's all a bit personal.
    Edenecho,
    If you have specific features for which you'd like to understand implementation differences, by all means let us know. The first post compared pricing on two very dissimilar configurations.
    - Gerry
    http://www.pinballcontrollers.com

Right on, man.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

My F-14 project uses the serial chains of LEDs and so far I've not seen any issues. I push lamp states down the chain 32 times per second, regardless whether or not anything changed. So even if I did get a little glitch on the data, in theory it would only be for 1/32 second which might be difficult to spot.

I don't recall the rate at which we do it but with the FAST controllers we are constantly rewriting the RGB LED values, like Snux mentioned. Your worst case scenario would be a extremely brief moment where an LED was the wrong color. This is why we have an ARM processor and a 328 dedicated to managing the RGB LEDs. The bandwidth hog of all that light show data (color changes, fades, etc) would slow down the system significantly if we were doing it all over one shared connection with the switches and drivers. There would be increased potential of missing switches being read, etc.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

I have heard many warnings from a lots of people now that this is dangerous (more than just Gerry), but I figure if a voltage back spike or whatever happens, a $30 Teensy + $20 for LEDs is no great economic loss.

What is the voltage back spike issue? If the RGB LED controllers are properly protected and the pinball game is properly wired, there shouldn't a risk of destroying your controller or LEDs.

Has someone experienced this first hand? I'd love to know more about it. Maybe it is a situation where users were plugging in arduinos or something into other systems without adequate protection?

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#78 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

I don't actually know exactly what the worst case scenario is, hence the whatever. I'd read about the JJP/WoZ LED issue, and I expected that was the issue, but it's probably incorrect for me to be referring to it as a voltage back spike. I'm no electrical engineer (I'm at least one layer of abstraction higher than that ) , and it's with that blissful ignorance that I use these simple protocol serial Rgb leds and have my fingers in my ears when people tell me not to.

There were ground issues in the WOZ. Dave (partner w/FAST) had noticed that when they first brought the game to our NW Pinball Show early in its existance. Even mentioned it to Jack. Everything was tied together in a way which left it susceptible to all the stuff we have been talking about.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

#85 8 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

Once you see RGB LEDs in action and you start to play around with them, you are doomed . They are *that* cool and even more amazing looking once you start creating effects with them .

Completely agree!

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

4 weeks later
    #88 8 years ago
    Quoted from Edenecho:

Just chiming in, been busy with vacation and also planning our wedding, and while waiting for documentation for the FAST (not to stress you Aaron ) I have been working on the concept, rules and design for my Mass Effect pinball which is time consuming
    So will wait for more documentation (and also the dollar currency to sink ) before I dive into making a decision for the hardware.

my idea of vacation is relaxing with nothing to do. Everyone else wants to go do things, so it's been slower going than I expected. For others chompin at the bit I have been sharing the Google Docs version. PM me an email address and I can share that right now in the meantime. Thanks for your patience.

Aaron
    FAST Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider fastpinball.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-game-p3-roc-or-fast?tu=fastpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.