(Topic ID: 133900)

Custom game: P3-ROC or FAST?

By Edenecho

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-dbi-010-1.jpg
    fp-cpu-003-1.jpg
    switch_overview.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider edenecho.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Greetings! Long post imminent. Pinsiders likes to have opinions, and I would like some of yours especially if you have experience with either.

I am tired of just talking about “what custom pinball themes would be cool” to make, and will try to actualize it into something real. Working on draft# 3 of the playfield design for a MASS EFFECT pinball, and the time has come to get a wood working.

I have read about P3-ROC and FAST pinball boards , but I still feel I lack enough technical insight as to which I should choose. My criteria:
    1. I am a programmer, but I would still like good documentation and intuitive code/framework.
    2. As of now my only experience with wiring and such is from fixing machines. I would like the least amount of wiring and complexity, to the degree its possible of course. After all, we are talking about a pinball machine Also documentation/tutorial on how to setup everything with power supply, wiring and such is desired.
    3. Price.

Currently this is what my machine will have:
    - 3 flippers
    - 1 Magnet
    - either a) 14 standup targets and 1 dropdown target or b) 6 standup targets and 9 dropdown targets
    (depends if the cost will shoot up with the extra 8 dropdowns input wise).
    - 1 spinner
    - slingshots (ofc)
    - NO popbumpers.
    - 2 ramps
    - A certain amount of rollover/gate switches for in/outlanes, orbits, ramps etc.
    - LCD display
    - Maybe a motor for rotating a toy (BDK's joker revealer) if possible.

I got a tips from Gerry what a normal pinball machine would require:
    P3-ROC:
    1x P3-ROC 275$
    2x PD-16 200$
    4x SW-16 240 $
    1x PD-8x8 (for a lamp matrix) 100$
    1x PD-LED (for LEDs) 90$
    Total with VAT:1131$

And then I saw the FASt bundle which is much cheaper but maybe have less of something:
    FAST Pinball core bundle: 499$
    (1) FAST Core Controller
    (1) FAST I/O 3208
    (1) FAST I/O 0804
    (1) FAST Smart Fuseblock
    (50) FAST RGB LED Inserts
    Total with vat: 623$

But I assume there is some difference between those two,
    can anyone help me point them out? Would the FAST core bundle suffice?
    Also the Mission Pinball Framework seems very intuitive.

If you are still reading this, thanks
    Morten

#4 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Anyway, if you're specing both options you really should equip them comparably!

Absolutely, thats part what I need some help with getting correct, to get a fair comparison
    Also determine what i need and not need.

Quoted from Mocean:

Instead of going with a P3-ROC, consider a P-ROC, which supports 32 direct switches and a 64 switches in a matrix, simultaneously (a total of 96 switches). It cannot use the sw16 add on boards, but that's a small price to pay if you don't mind wiring in a matrix.

If there is a way to avoid wiring it all in a matrix I would really prefer that (ie an easier way). Gerry wrote that the P3-roc made wiring MUCH easier, that is why I initially put that up against FAST. But he also said that I could go for the P-roc, in which I would use the following:
    1x P-ROC 325$
    1x PD-16/master 110$
    1x PD-16 100$
    1x PD-8x8 (for a lamp matrix) 100$
    1x PD-LED (for LEDs) 90$

Total: 725 $

But maybe I would not need all that is there? Though I am leaning slightly towards what makes it the easiest to wire and put together.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from ecurtz:

That Fast setup only has 12 drivers.

Will that mean only room for example 12 coils?

#7 8 years ago

I went over my current playfield blueprint and tried to make a short list of the switches. As of now, it seems to be 44 switches, but Im sure there are some I might have missed.

switch_overview.pngswitch_overview.png

Forgot to add the magnet. But realize I have yet to research how a magnet works in pinball, if it is using a switch/or how it detects a ball passing over.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

Don't forget any cabinet switches - flippers, tilt, service buttons, etc.

Thanks, Knew there was some basic switches id forgot! Working with the design virtually has its tolls

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from pkiefert:

Is there a reason you are getting both a lamp matrix and a LED board? Usually it's one or the other.
    Might be able to shave off a little by going only with the PD-LED for your lamps.

Thats was just what Gerry wrote me as an option with P-Roc. Dont know enough about exactly what I need yet. I have made the list of switches, coils and will be starting on the inserts/lamps but that is bound to be changed as I am developing the rules, getting some new ideas etc.

#30 8 years ago

I understand it might get abit heated between devs when comparing products, I just wanted to get input on the technical and practical differences between the two systems and what would suit my needs (some which I am also working out long the way).

I agree that documentation surely will answer alot of my questions, and also Im sure there are questions I havent even thought of yet, so looking forward to it. Its also very valuable to hear from users of each of the systems, since they usually dont have the same marketing/financial interest as the owners/developers of a product normally have

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from horseypin:

No lcd. Big no no for 2015 => Future

Good to know. I like DMD for the..retro sakes, but I have decided I want to use an LCD for this project.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

If you have specific features for which you'd like to understand implementation differences, by all means let us know. The first post compared pricing on two very dissimilar configurations.

Yup I get that now, part of the reason I wanted input because I thought there had to be some differences, I just did not know what. Ill go deeper through the posts tomorrow and will get back with more details/question im sure, Im still quite "in the dark" as to what may suit my needs and eager to learn more about what both system offers and what suits me.

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from gstellenberg:

That's correct. I specifically chose to develop a parallel LED drive system (PD-LED) because chained LEDs using single-ended digital control lines are not recommended for use under pinball playfields (noisy EM environments). While certainly much more convenient in theory, chained LEDs usage under a playfield is asking for trouble.

First off; this is new to me, and therefore a little "greek" as we say over here

What is visually the difference between chained leds and led inserts through the pd-led? Are chained basicalle one single chain going through every led under the playfield while with the pd-led its one wiring out to each led insert and back to the board?

#42 8 years ago

I am mainly developing in C# (through work), but thats means java is also basically the same, also I started out with java throughout my bachelor. I actually thought of programming this pinball through some framework based on python could be a nice way to also get into Python. I might be wrong, but I dont think the langauge in itself is the main obstacle as long as the framework is well documented and contains examples, tutorials etc. The physical part is probably more challenging.

I read through some of the MPF documentation yesterday and it seemed quite okay.

So I guess the language in itself is not that important for my choice if it is between C# or Python (even though they are quite different). Currently I am programming a little in VBScript for future pinball, so I can adapt to new language if there is tutorials and documentation/examples. But good point, Horseypin.

Will check into netprocgame.

#43 8 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

"Chained" means that the RGB signals are all driven from a single, common source. The LED is enabled by a bit that shifts through the chain. As this bit shifts down the chain, the RGB levels change for the next LED in the chain. Once you've shifted through the entire chain, the whole process repeats itself. This bit is driven by a single ended driver. It's a clock signal more or less and is the source of all of the headaches Gerry is RIGHTFULLY warning you about. Quite frankly, Gerry could modify his FPGA in about an hour to support chained LEDs and announce support for them using PROC (hell, I'll write the damn verilog myself! ). He won't because he is 100% correct ... they are problematic under a pinball machine playfield. Yes, you would only need 4 wires for signaling, but you will have problems with that clock wire if it is single ended.
    "Parallel" means that you will have three wires driving each LED for a red, a green, and a blue level. If you want to drive 8 RGB LEDs, you will need 24 wires. It's more painful to wire up and it costs more, but it is the proper solution (unless the chained LEDs use a differential signal ... then then and only then will chained LEDs be acceptable for pinball use).
    In terms of visual appearance while playing, you won't see any difference if you're driving serial LEDs properly vs their parallel brethren so long as you're using a reasonable timing on the LED chain and there is no noise. It basically comes down to lighting an LED for X uS then shifting the "enable" bit downstream to light up the next LED for a few uS ... rinse, lather, repeat.
    I work in the robotics industry, develop FPGAs for a living, and design a PCB here and there ... I deal with noise all of the time on High Speed serial links for vision applications.
    Trust me, use the parallel solution. You are going to save yourself a LOT of grief in the long run. You WILL have intermittent light failures using single ended chained anything under a pinball machine playfield. Shielding won't help, routing won't help, nothing will help.
    You have a shot at getting lucky and things may work at first. However, you might bump a solenoid a few mm closer to a single ended wire and suddenly cause intermittent bit flipping every X number of times that solenoid fires. Hell, I've wired up piss poor examples of single ended connections that would cause a clock on a wire to go crazy if you move your HAND past said wire just as an example as to why long, single ended traces/wires are silly (I'm being a bit unfair as there was zero ground wire near the clock wire, but you get my point).
    While I am no device physics expert (I know people that understand this stuff as if it were "normal" to understand this stuff ), I do know enough that differential wiring and differential routing do plenty to control effects from noise. A differential receiver is looking for a difference between two voltages to signal a one or a zero. A differential driver drives a signal at a + level on one line and a - level on another like. They are intertwined ... the intertwining has the effect of canceling out some noise. More importantly is how the receiver works. Again, the receiver looks for a difference between the two voltages. If some kind of noise is induced on the twisted pair and causes the lines to move to a higher or lower potential, the receiver will still interpret the one or zero properly because it is merely focused on a difference and the wires will tend to drift in the same direction.
    Now, single ended connections require a voltage threshold to indicate a zero or one. Let's say you have a single ended wire driving the clock input of a flip flop (or the lamp select input on your serial LEDs) with a threshold voltage of 1.8V that is rising up to 3.3V. Now, let's say a solenoid fires, induces a spike on the single ended line that causes a fast ramp rate, spikes the signal up to 4V, causes a swing down to 1.5V for about, I dunno, 60 us, and swings back up and levels off at 3.3V. See the problem? You've caused two clock edges to occur ... you might get lucky and 60us would be ignored by one LED for a bunch of different reasons. You might have an LED that is sensitive to the 60us time and it might flip state. If you were using a differential input clock, the + line would jump up to 4V, but the negative line would also follow suite ... no glitch occurs .
    There's also the issue of noise causing stress on the inputs when the voltages swing really high or low, but the amount of time the voltage is out of spec usually causes no damage.
    You want to think of all of those single ended connections as mini antennas too. You will induce electromagnetic currents on that antenna and will get intermittent bit flips thanks to pinball solenoids. A bit flip in a one hot shift register (which is all an LED chain is) is pretty much fatal . These kinds of errors are a complete pain in the ass to debug ... especially when you are writing brand new software and have no idea if you light show issues are your fault or some hardware failure.
    Moreover, these kinds of problems make game coding not much fun if you ask me . I'd rather be solving gameplay problems vs. hardware failures.
    Do yourself a favor, just get the system that offers the parallel LEDs ... you will never thank me for this suggestion as you will NOT have any issues at all, thus no need for thanks .
    Good luck on your game!!! You home brew authors do some amazing stuff!!!

Thanks for a VERY detailed and informative post regarding the lightning, it is somewhat brighter (hehe) for me now

Is this still as relevant/not that relevant if I wont have no RGB LEDS, just plain white and single colored LEDS for different inserts?
    Havent yet decided, there are som spots where RGB leds could be useful making jackpots/mode arrow inserts change colour based on the mode, but most of the inserts wont be needing more than one color. as of now at least

#50 8 years ago

Well this was slightly derailing guys, feel free to take those personal discussions through pm's. I am not programming my idea finished in fp, thats just playing around to get a little feel with music, some basic lights etc but primarily making a playfield blueprint.

I tried a little vp but it feels so outdated visually which kinda turns me off somewhat. The plan is not to maje a complete virtual pinball before making it physical.

#54 8 years ago

Hmm ok so with Vp i could could and design a game and basically use that same code for the physical game with the boards i settle on?

#61 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Making the software side more "intermediate" level would probably go a long way to opening up this maker movement to more people, especially considering that making a pinball machine is a multi-discipline activity.
    !

this is my impression of what MPF is doing, at least the documentation i read made it seem very informative and relatively easy to follow..

#62 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mocean:

Yes. This is true for PyProcGame, VGA, HD, etc.
    It's how I do 90% of my testing on the Buffy pin. Snux's F-14 Second Sortie thread talks about his use of the VP-PROC bridge to accelerate development too. It's what horseypin/DaveH was talking about as well.
    The bridge let's the pyprocgame game code drive a visual pinball table as though it were a real physical machine with a real p-roc in it. The bridge was developed by Gerry and Destruk a while back and I've taken over its maintenance so it is easier to use to actually develop pyprocgame games (that is, can be used with game code that's buggy).
    https://github.com/mjocean/proc-visual-pinball
    If you have questions about that, post away

I downloaded vp10 and immediately saw thatthe 3d-rendering and physics feels much better than vp9. Guess it wouldnt hurt spending some hours recreating my table in vp10. But i only need vp10 and the bridge you linked to? Something tells me its more complicated to set it up correct?

Sidenote: do you know if its any stern sized vp 10 table templates, to get it correct?

#82 8 years ago
    Quoted from Curbfeeler:

Designing and building an entire game from scratch and THEN writing the rules? Yikes... That's a big project. Do you have a buddy, like a childhood friend (or three) who also loves pinball and who shares your vision?

Thansk for great input and opinions, Im taking it all into consideration. I agree that the scope may change in six months time. I also think that I will be able to make this game with both FAST and PROC hardware, its just two different approaches leading to the same ending

Regarding your question; I have some friends who are very big fans of the Mass Effect game trilogy, and Im planning on consulting them and letting then come with input and suggestions for the rules and modes. Also we have a very good pinball community here in Oslo, so I will definitely let the others try out the prototype. I have a friend who works with 3d modeling and animation, and also a tattoo artist whom I possibly can hire for painting the artwork. So I try to pull in those with more skills and experience than me on certain areas

Though I am used to doing much on my own, I wrote the whole debut album for my band Frail Grounds which was a long effort but amazing when having the finished product in my hands. Anyways, back to pinball

#83 8 years ago
    Quoted from megadeth2600:

Yes, it's relevant for "boring" unicolor LEDs if they are chained .
    Once you see RGB LEDs in action and you start to play around with them, you are doomed . They are *that* cool and even more amazing looking once you start creating effects with them .

Reading this I suddenly got some cool ideas on how to implement and make use of different colored leds... oh damn.

#84 8 years ago
    Quoted from Snux:

My F-14 project uses the serial chains of LEDs and so far I've not seen any issues. I push lamp states down the chain 32 times per second, regardless whether or not anything changed. So even if I did get a little glitch on the data, in theory it would only be for 1/32 second which might be difficult to spot.

Nice to hear from someone using them without issues too, although I understand the potential issues people are mentioning

4 weeks later
    #86 8 years ago

Just chiming in, been busy with vacation and also planning our wedding, and while waiting for documentation for the FAST (not to stress you Aaron ) I have been working on the concept, rules and design for my Mass Effect pinball which is time consuming

So will wait for more documentation (and also the dollar currency to sink ) before I dive into making a decision for the hardware.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider edenecho.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-game-p3-roc-or-fast?tu=edenecho and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.