(Topic ID: 133900)

Custom game: P3-ROC or FAST?

By Edenecho

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

fast-dbi-010-1.jpg
    fp-cpu-003-1.jpg
    switch_overview.png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Curbfeeler.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#71 8 years ago

I would echo what others have said here. I would not pick a path based on price, as they are both very similarly priced when you know how to compare them correctly. Also, I would not pick a path based on digging into the technical requirements and trying to say "oh this one supports this but not this..." I say that because projects like these evolve over time. What is important to you when you have your wallet out might not be important to you at all in 6 months. You may envision the entire process differently in a way that makes whatever that one deciding factor was irrelevant.

I really think it's about community, as others have said. I would encourage you to join up at the pinballcontrollers.com forums and get active. Introduce yourself, ask questions, chew the fat, etc. There's no pressure to buy a P-ROC there, and really if one wanted to they could code their entire game before they bought any hardware at all. On the pinballcontrollers.com forum you'll see many such videos and screen grabs of projects running virtually, and there are a few different technologies you can use to accomplish this. VP is one (which I used to use), but OSC is the one I use now.

The guys over at pinballcontrollers.com are top notch and always very responsive and willing to help. I've gotten help from a number of them at various points along my journey. When i think about the hours guys like Gerry and Michael (MOcean) and Mark (Snux) and Jim (Applejuice) and Scott (NoTrashCougar) and others have carved out to help me and others like me... Well, I'm speechless by their generosity.

Okay, unrelated to Fast versus P-ROC, but curious to ask... I'm re-writing the rules to Pinbot, and while I'm making great progress and very proud of my work, I admit it's a LOT of work. Designing and building an entire game from scratch and THEN writing the rules? Yikes... That's a big project. Do you have a buddy, like a childhood friend (or three) who also loves pinball and who shares your vision? In my case nobody was interested, but I admit I'm always jealous of those projects where a couple guys who grew up together join up to knock out a game over a fridge (or three) full of beer. If not don't fret (there are many successful one-man shows in the P-ROC forums), but worth asking, IMO.

Anyway, good luck. Whichever technology you choose, I'll look forward to seeing your masterpiece.

Dan

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Curbfeeler.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-game-p3-roc-or-fast?tu=Curbfeeler and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.