Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

290x218_14615675_8834356_1465293571.jpg_(resized).png
Set5_(resized).png
Set4_(resized).png
Set3_(resized).png
Set2_(resized).png
Set1_(resized).png
Custom_Swappable_Flipper_Bats_(rev1).pdf (PDF preview)
PKE_cross_section_(resized).png
pke_bat_assembly_top_(resized).png
pke_bat_assembly_(resized).png
pke_bat_(resized).png
Regular_(resized).png
screen-capture-15_(resized).png
screen-capture-14_(resized).png
screen-capture-12_(resized).png
Flipper_Range_3_(resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

I have been holding on to this one for a while and still testing these out.

What are they?
general concept is quick removable & swappable flipper bats. Basically once assembled they look like a regular bats and have been told have been done before on a old Gottlieb series of games. But with these there will be different sized bats and you don't have to lift the playfield to swap out bats - less than 5 minutes to swap to something different.

How do they work?
basically assemble the bat to it's finished state and install like you normally would and align and tight up. Then you can simply unscrew the bat from top side, lift off the bat and install a new bat onto the square drive end and the alignment is already done as I kept the square drive and front face exactly the same on the bat variations.

Why use these?
for something different you can swap out a colour and a different look or size in a few minutes.

What is different?
mainly the optional sizes - 3" regular bat, 2 7/8" bats for a bit of comp fun or add that Trudeau game to a regular machine to perfect you game play skills or 3 1/8" bats to tight up a Trudeau gap as some people might feel intermediated by the wider gap. Also is a set of feature bats - Ghosutbuster PKE bats that have holes in the top for leds as well as a fake bulb set. I am still play testing the bats and about 200 games in with hollow posts (to allow for wiring for future leds lighting inside the bat).

For Comp fun?
for fun in those fun compa events you could drop the flipper size or increase the flipper size or go for the bizarre and go 1 x 2 7/8" and 1 x 3 1/8" to add that unbalanced feel.

What is the delay?
basically I have hollow posts and GB hollow flipper bats in testing when I have time to give them a bash and all going well will be available.

What is left?
The smaller bat and larger bats are theory bats and still need to test fit rubbers so ensure they are feasible - samples being made soon for testing.

If these work and I am happy and they is interest I will investigate options to make them available, currently the GB ones are totally 3D printed via Shapeways even the hollow SS posts. If enough interest I would look into machined and chromed posts.

Flipper_Post_(resized).jpgFlipper_Post_(resized).jpg

above view post comparison
flipper_bats_1_(resized).pngflipper_bats_1_(resized).png

flipper_bats_2_(resized).pngflipper_bats_2_(resized).png

underside design view - notice 1, 2 and 3 dots around the square drive shaft hole - they signify a 2 7/8" , 3" and 3 1/8" bat so you doted have to check and measure.
flipper_bats_3_(resized).pngflipper_bats_3_(resized).png

tester GB flipper set - with the version one fastening screw hidden under the rubber, version 2 will be top side which will be easier to change. Posts will be available hopefully in hollow and solid and have the allowance for v1 & v2 style fastening.

P1120456_copy_(resized).jpgP1120456_copy_(resized).jpg
P1120457_copy_(resized).jpgP1120457_copy_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Are the weights the same?

to be honest have not compared on a set of scales but feel dam close, they play great and no reason to be too different in weight. I will weigh compare when I get a new test set in the mail as couldn't be bothered pulling the post out of the game. I will see what the cad program estimates later.

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballerchef:

I'm digging this idea. I'd like to see them custom for different machines.....artwork, colors, etc. and see what you can come up with. I'll be keeping an eye on these for sure.

don't know about artwork but colours yes, and maybe 3d features on top in the future

Quoted from Purpledrilmonkey:

Can the flipper post be dropped thru the PF when the flipper is removed? Can't quite judge size in the pics.
ie - you can remove a flipper mech without messing with the pawl?

I hadn't considered that, but yes you could, undo the bat and the post can remain installed in the flipper mech as the round section that the square drive butts up to is fractionally smaller than the flipper bush that passes through the playfield

flipper_bush_(resized).pngflipper_bush_(resized).png

flipper_post_(resized).pngflipper_post_(resized).png

with the post it has a tapped hole in the top for top mounting as well as a hole passing through the side which is also tapped. The single screw just serves the purpose of keeping the bat to the post. The square drive bares the load of ball impact in the turning motion. The slot is basically clearance for wires to pass up through the shaft and through the slot which matches a slot on one of the square drive faces in the bat to allow wiring to pass through. But when adding wiring it will make it more removeable but at least allows it to happen if people want to do that.

3 weeks later
#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Are the weights the same?

sorry, took me a while to get back to this one.

weights are in metric = grams

Note: not including the flipper rubber which averages about 7.5 grams per rubber

Bats:
Regular Williams Bats with a Logo = 27 grams
Regular Sega Bats with a S Logo = 28 grams
Aluminum Machined Bats (from Pinball Life) = 48 grams

Swinks Design Re-moveable Bats including the fastening screw:
Regular 3" = 32 grams
GB Bat v1 3" = 35.5 grams

so really nothing in it and the weight is mostly at the pivot point so won't have hardy any effect and with the ones I have been playing for a few weeks now - playing really well.

Progress update - currently working on interchangeable lit bats all to fit the standard fitted post without lifting the playfield

2 weeks later
#13 8 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

Is there any significant advantage to a particular shape when it comes to spreading torque? The square drive that is. With drivers and fasteners there's hex, square, slotted, star and so on.

there are 2 important things for the bats to work and I wanted the ability to swap bats only top side without lifting the playfield
1 - the rotation mechanism
2 - the fastening done mechanism

both these components need to be in balance, so having a slot or triangle have probably a even better the turning mechanism but less material for the fastening down mechanism and then having a drive with 5- 8 faces has an improved lock down mechanism but a increased chance of stripping the rotational drive. So personally I felt the square drive and 4mm screw lock down is a great balance. I am currently up to around a few hundred plays and 1st 3" protos are going well.

I have ordered a 2nd set of proto posts to refine the design and will order a range of bats very soon to test play with a few extra types of bats to come along eventually like maybe boney fingers or ones with 2 holes for a sword to fitted to etc - all for fun and challenge and then people can order some to play with.

I even support other people to create other original bats to fasten to the posts to give people a larger range to pick from

this project was more a challenge for myself to fulfill a design challenge for myself and if others want to try and support it then that is a bonus

hope that answers your question / concern

1 week later
#18 7 years ago

getting closer, and will do a small manual with options and instructions

once proto's sorted I really need to find a better alternative to the custom square drive posts

for example for GB with the Trudeau gap, once the posts are installed people can swap out 3" to 3 1/8" bats in a couple of minutes or different colours etc so easily, or PKE bats to maybe proton bats

1 week later
#20 7 years ago

sorry, work has been crazy, will update soon

as for price can't confirm until I have proof tested and found a alternative for the posts other than shapeways

#22 7 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

We will give some a go when ever you are ready!

cheers, might take up up on that.

1 week later
#23 7 years ago

finished 5 designs now that have interchangeable parts:
1. 2 7/8" bats
2. 3" bats
3. 3" GB PKE Bats (example below in white)
4. 3 1/8" bats
5. 3 1/8" GB PKE Bats (example below in dk grey / black)

all bats allow to be swapped on the same posts and the bats have the same hollowed sections allowing for future designs of lit toppers. On the GB bats the fake bulbs will hopefully / eventually be able to be lit. The fake bulbs can be glued in or bolted and one day in the future will be another part that bolts in underneath to house a mercury switch and battery to flash when activated.

The 3/1/8" bat has a 3" rubber (sorry didn't do a custom rubber for the screen shot). And I have tested Pinball Life's new flipper rubbers and they fit all 3 bats sizes.

So basically once the post is installed you can swap out the bats in a matter of minutes. The bats will be available in 8-9 colours.

3" GB Bats
Set_3.1_(resized).pngSet_3.1_(resized).png
Set_3.2_(resized).pngSet_3.2_(resized).png

3 1/8" GB Bats
Set_5.1_(resized).pngSet_5.1_(resized).png

#24 7 years ago

nearly done and many and ordering links coming soon

colours are just random but
Red - 2 7/8" bat (1 dot on the underside)
Purple & White - 3" bat (2 dots on the underside)
Yellow & Black - 3 1/8" bats ideal for the Trudeau flipper gap (3 dots on the underside)

Dots are just a guide incase you have a few spares you can quickly gauge which one is what.

Flipper_Range_1_(resized).pngFlipper_Range_1_(resized).png

Flipper_Range_2_(resized).pngFlipper_Range_2_(resized).png

Flipper_Range_3_(resized).pngFlipper_Range_3_(resized).png

#27 7 years ago

I have uploaded the files to Shapeways and unfortunately it will be a product that needs the customer to tap a few holes so sadly I don't expect many sales. This is because if I shipped the parts to Aus, tapped the holes and shipped back to the US or Europe the additional postage cost alone would be $30USD alone on top of the flipper set in which no one will buy.

I am happy to help people out at cost for a tap and some bolts in a envelop for around $10 AUD or for someone to buy a small batch of posts and tap and distribute locally in your country as a reseller or help out mates.

Unfortunately not the cheapest mod at the cheapest set from shapeways at about $74 USD and dearest full optioned out set at $90 USD. But on the flip side the 3 1/8" bats can change how a game plays eg ghostbusters flipper gap can be reduced to a regular game almost. So in comparison to regular available flippers this is an expensive upgrade but compared to other mods that just sit there and blink this is a affordable mod and functional.

leave it to you to decide, these still have to tested more so can offer the first 1-2 people keen my 20% shapeways royality back as a refund as well as post the tap and screws & postage free of charge so you can help me test.

the flipper parts can be found here
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinksflipper&sort=name

also the blank flippers on top I have opened up a custom text feature so you can put a event name, game name, business name on there as a engraved feature.

Manual and flipper set images to be added very soon to this post.

I will be working on lit flippers and other flippers with unique game features in the near future. In the end I am doing this for myself and not phased if they don't sell but would be stoked if a few people bought them.

Business name
screen-capture-15_(resized).pngscreen-capture-15_(resized).png

Sample long name
screen-capture-14_(resized).pngscreen-capture-14_(resized).png

Parts list
screen-capture-12_(resized).pngscreen-capture-12_(resized).png

#30 7 years ago

Someone has said that before, was not aware, but is a original design and the 3 1/8" bat is new,

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from Pinzzz:

Order placed for 3 1/8 bats w/all the toys.

thanks for the support, I will get some parts out to you very soon.

#33 7 years ago

here are a few screen shots until the manual is finished

regular 3 1/8" bat example
Regular_(resized).pngRegular_(resized).png

3" pke bat (3 1/8" is longer on the tip and one more dot underneath)
pke_bat_(resized).pngpke_bat_(resized).png
pke_bat_assembly_top_(resized).pngpke_bat_assembly_top_(resized).png
pke_bat_assembly_(resized).pngpke_bat_assembly_(resized).png

pke cross section
PKE_cross_section_(resized).pngPKE_cross_section_(resized).png

#35 7 years ago

2 sets allocated for the free taps, bolts and postage as well as royalty payment refund.

thanks for the support

#37 7 years ago

here is the manual for those wanting to have something different - sorry there is a little bit of DIY.

Custom_Swappable_Flipper_Bats_(rev1).pdfCustom_Swappable_Flipper_Bats_(rev1).pdf

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from Artimage:

Looks pretty cool. Do you happen to have a video of you doing the tapping?

here is one from youtube - first 3minutes shows the tapping process. On the post, the hole is 15mm deep and already close to the correct pre-tap side of 3.2mm, we only need to tap 10mm deep so the last 5mm is for the lead clearance of the tap.

I will look into designing a small hand tool from Shapeways to hold the tap

I will try and do a video this weekend abut the one above is a decent generic video of tapping.

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from Toasterdog:

The PKE bats look sweet. A little confused, is the standard size bat available PKE style?

render images from the manual - hope that helps and basically a pke bat in 3" and 3 1/8" and obviously lots of colour combinations with mixing up Shapeways bats and Rubbers.

I will be painting a set of 3 1/8" a custom (s)lime green

set 1 - 2 7/8"
Set1_(resized).pngSet1_(resized).png

set 2 - 3" standard
Set2_(resized).pngSet2_(resized).png

set 3 - 3" PKE
Set3_(resized).pngSet3_(resized).png

set 4 - 3 1/8" standard
Set4_(resized).pngSet4_(resized).png

set 5 - 3 1/8" PKE
Set5_(resized).pngSet5_(resized).png

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Swinks - If you need a US distributor... LMK.

as mentioned in the manual in the FAQ section at the back I am ok with someone buying a heap of parts and on-selling them within the US, as currently it isn't ideal to ship them here and back to the US as it jacks up the price alot and prices it out of reach alot more.

#45 7 years ago

added a tapping handle - though is to suit my local supplier - not sure if the sizing is a industry standard thing and you might be able to find an adjustable tap handle at your local hardware for $5 of something.

https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=swinksflipper&sort=name

290x218_14615675_8834356_1465293571.jpg_(resized).png290x218_14615675_8834356_1465293571.jpg_(resized).png

#46 7 years ago

Copied from a email sent to all Shapeways members but open to any current and new members so you can save a few dollars:

"Starting Monday June 13 through Sunday June 19, you can save 20% on your own models in Strong & Flexible. Use code SFONSALE at checkout to take advantage of this sale."

#48 7 years ago

bugger, just got the email this morning, worth contacting them see if you can cancel and re order

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
$ 218.00
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

$ 103.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

7,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middletown, NY
$ 969.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Mödley Crüe

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

6,600 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Palm Desert, CA
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 63.99
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swinks.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-flippers-removeable-flippers?tu=swinks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.