(Topic ID: 244270)

?Custom/Commission PF art - How/Interest?

By TheTenderTilt

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hey Everyone!
If there is a thread that already covers this topic then by all means please link it.

Basically I am wanting to take an X-Files PF and get new art made for it and ?screen printed? onto the original wood. I want the game to still play the same, so everything will correspond with what it already does. It would just be a new art package. My question is has anyone done this? to any game? I know screen printing delivers quality results but is it the best way to get it done?

Also is anyone putting together commission groups - I am a collector of screen printed posters/art from artists and we have groups that split a cost of the actual prints and commission fee to the artists to have a specific theme made for the group. Does Pinball have this? The LOTR art is not my taste and would be a cool one to get redone as well and maybe offered to others that are interested.

Im a newbie and the art is a huge part of pinball to me, so im already thinking of ways to customize my pin and any info/links would be helpful. Thanks!

#2 4 years ago

I've always thought LOTR would be a great candidate for something like this.

#3 4 years ago

Count me in for new LOTR playfield art as well. I know they say Franchi wants nothing to do with the theme, but I think he would take the game to a new level.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from Looking4FirstPin:

Count me in for new LOTR playfield art as well. I know they say Franchi wants nothing to do with the theme, but I think he would take the game to a new level.

I obviously havent looked into a ton of artists but would be people want the same artists that are typically used in pinball or do you think they would be open to other artists?

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from roffels:

I've always thought LOTR would be a great candidate for something like this.

The art is the only reason why I havent picked it up yet! I know people have been saying vault editions may happen eventually.

#6 4 years ago

CPR has said they have the ability to do custom one off printings of playfields now with their new equipment. Pretty sure you have to provide the donor playfield for the printing but maybe not.

#7 4 years ago

Have an overlay made, sand the old art, apply the overlay and then clear the field.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Have an overlay made, sand the old art, apply the overlay and then clear the field.

Do you know if an overlays quality is as good as screen printing on the wood? Or is it just a personal preference

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from TheTenderTilt:

Do you know if an overlays quality is as good as screen printing on the wood? Or is it just a personal preference

I'm not an expert on printing. I'm just thinking if you actually want to do this that having someone create screens to replace the art on an x-files, which isn't a super common game, would cost a fortune. I think you could get someone to print an overlay UV printed on mylar though for less than a few hundred bucks if you provided the art.

#10 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

I'm not an expert on printing. I'm just thinking if you actually want to do this that having someone create screens to replace the art on an x-files, which isn't a super common game, would cost a fortune. I think you could get someone to print an overlay UV printed on mylar though for less than a few hundred bucks if you provided the art.

I’m just thinking for any machine. I know i personally want to hange the art on my xfiles because it’s sentimental to me, but in large art groups they will pay for the liscense and the artist to do the art and get it printed. So i thought that concept could transfer over if you already had the PF

#11 4 years ago

I’m just thinking for any machine. I know i personally want to hange the art on my xfiles because it’s sentimental to me, but in large art groups they will pay for the liscense and the artist to do the art and get it printed. So i thought that concept could transfer over if you already had the PF

Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant you wanted to update the art on your personal game. I would assume it's doable with enough people.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant you wanted to update the art on your personal game. I would assume it's doable with enough people.

Sorry! I’m interested in the options, if this is something people would want then that could be an option or if i just did it myself. Wasn’t sure if people were doing these kind of things yet

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

Overlays generally don't turn out well. Having CPR print it would probably not be much more expensive if you ignore the shipping costs and would turn out way better.

I don't know when they're going to get to the point where they're going to start accepting custom orders though.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

Overlays generally don't turn out well. Having CPR print it would probably not be much more expensive if you ignore the shipping costs and would turn out way better.
I don't know when they're going to get to the point where they're going to start accepting custom orders though.

What isn’t good with an overlay? Like the resolution?

#15 4 years ago

They tend to wrinkle and bubble up. Inks can sometimes run too if you try to clear it I think. They aren't the easiest to install either from what I've heard.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

How about one of those hardtops? Those look great and appear to hold up really well

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How about one of those hardtops? Those look great and appear to hold up really well

I'm not sure you can get a custom hard top made. And considering you're going to have to sand the playfield anyway to apply it even if you would get one you might as well have CPR just print on the sanded playfield. Then you also don't have to worry about lining up inserts and other things.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from pinball_ric:

I'm not sure you can get a custom hard top made. And considering you're going to have to sand the playfield anyway to apply it even if you would get one you might as well have CPR just print on the sanded playfield. Then you also don't have to worry about lining up inserts and other things.

I agree that just getting the PF printed would be the best option at this point.
Has anyone see any commissions groups? Would that be an option that people would like? I’d love to start something like this if so!

#19 4 years ago

I would look into possibly a tattoo artist doing the work then clear coat it. There are some great artists out there that are not known and would possibly be cost effective.

#20 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I would look into possibly a tattoo artist doing the work then clear coat it. There are some great artists out there that are not known and would possibly be cost effective.

My BF is a tattoo artist, I had a few people in mind for a design. Was thinking of doing a commission group if i can get some numbers and people interested

#21 4 years ago

Well then the labor should be free.

#22 4 years ago

CPR tried something like this a while back. They were going to put together a custom art package using the Dolly pin as a base. You would get new backglass/plastics/playfield as part of the package, the theme selected was Lost Vegas. I don’t think it ever had enough interest in terms of numbers to make it cost feasible, so it never got off the ground for production. That was back when they were still doing screen printing though, with the new processes, the economics may have changed. Either way, I think the way to start would to pick your game, then gauge interest in terms of numbers. There are a few folks that have done one offs. See the Led Zepplin conversion thread for an idea of what that entails.

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from SergioJ:

CPR tried something like this a while back. They were going to put together a custom art package using the Dolly pin as a base. You would get new backglass/plastics/playfield as part of the package, the theme selected was Lost Vegas. I don’t think it ever had enough interest in terms of numbers to make it cost feasible, so it never got off the ground for production. That was back when they were still doing screen printing though, with the new processes, the economics may have changed. Either way, I think the way to start would to pick your game, then gauge interest in terms of numbers. There are a few folks that have done one offs. See the Led Zepplin conversion thread for an idea of what that entails.

I saw a few one offs like the walking dead translite and someone did their own xfiles translite, but was wanting to do a WHOLE package. Thanks for the info. Ill look into costs more and see what I can figure out and get a group together

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Well then the labor should be free.

You would think it would be that easy! His style is more Japanese, I dont think Mulder and Scully would look good that way haha

#25 4 years ago

If your serious about commissioning an artist I maybe interested. But keep in mind its a ton of work.
You can check out my Instagram for the style I draw in.

https://www.instagram.com/jacksongeeart/

#26 4 years ago

I saw a few one offs like the walking dead translite and someone did their own xfiles translite, but was wanting to do a WHOLE package. Thanks for the info. Ill look into costs more and see what I can figure out and get a group together

Start with some part of the whole process, like a playfield only, to get an idea of the amount of work. I'd suggest Rob Zombie. That playfield is TERRIBLE and a new look for the playfield might actually improve the falling resale value on those machines.

#27 4 years ago

So the Lost Vegas was to be an entire package that was sold in quantity for anyone who had Dolly that they wanted to retheme and the Led Zep “one off” is the entire package as well, just doing one machine though. The guy doing the Led Zep did commission an artist to do most of it so that could give you a ballpark for the cost. Search the forum for the specific thread where he talks about it.

I believe CPR was charging around $1300 for the retheme package a few years ago?

#28 4 years ago

Anything is possible with money.

That said, this is a ton of work. If you want actual screen printing especially. I kinda suspect from what you've said that you won't be wild about the quality of digital printing. It's not bad, but it isn't going to look anything like screened work if you have the eye for that stuff.

Depends on the art too. You can optimize for the strengths and weaknesses of each style of printing from the get go. Tonal ranges vs flat colors for instance.

Doing a translite is entirely easier. Speaking from experience with both.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
West Chester, PA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.95
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Pinball Life

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Denver, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

9,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Eau Claire, WI

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/custom-commission-pf-art-how-interest?hl=pinball_ric and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.