(Topic ID: 42880)

Custom Cards on Demand (any machine you want)

By zachster

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 70 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Muppet_Man
  • Topic is favorited by 15 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 17 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

JD_Custom.JPG
    nggb_copy.jpg
    sf23_copy.jpg
    a131_copy.jpg
    pp1_copy.jpg
    als1_copy.jpg
    es15_copy.jpg
    e2_copy.jpg
    f144_copy.jpg
    ij4c2_copy.jpg
    fs1rulesb_copy.jpg
    fs3_copy.jpg
    ScreenShot.jpg
    bop_set_1_-_left.jpg
    bop_set_2_-_right.jpg
    BlindMan.jpg

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 6 years ago

I've created cards for the machines that I was most interested in doing, and will soon be free to do some more (finishing one right now).

The issue is that there are many requests for for all sorts of different games - many of which are not very popular and so I'm not usually inclined to do them. The cards I do are the ones where the machine particularly inspires me more and/or the most popular machines because that way they get shared the most.

Many guys tell me they want cards for a certain game, but I know the demand isn't high and it's hard to put in the time and creativity if I know they will only be downloaded a fraction as often as something like JP or TAF. (TAF has 1,000 downloads)

Now I have a new solution if you want to take me up on it...

If you have seen my site or posts recently, you may know that for a $6 donation to my favorite charity (Best Friends Animal Society) I now print and mail cards if you need me to - SO, since that warms my heart to be able to help them, I'll now go a step further and will create new cards for any machine you want for a $20 donation to them (http://bestfriends.org/). A couple of guys have already done this and I think it's a cool solution. I do cards that I wouldn't have created otherwise, and I get to donate another $20 to BestFriends.

I will do them chronologically (first come, first served).

Contact me thru here or my site...

http://pinballcards.blogspot.com/

Pinzach

#2 6 years ago

Good idea, win-win for everyone

#3 6 years ago

Keep in mind that nothing is changing on my site. You can still download all of them for free. And I'll still do some I'm interested in from time to time - especially for new machines. This is just an option if you want nice cards for one of your machines that currently none exist for.

#4 6 years ago

Hi Zach! Great initiative!
    Do you also print and ship cards to the Netherlands?
    If so, how much should I donate for a set of Roadshow Cards?
    Thanks!
    P.S. regular (air)mail is fine. My RS has been without instruction cards for a while now since I repainted the apron so a little while longer won't hurt.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from Marten:

Hi Zach! Great initiative!
    Do you also print and ship cards to the Netherlands?
    If so, how much should I donate for a set of roadshow Cards?
    Thanks!
    P.S. regular (air)mail is fine. My RS has been without instruction cards for a while now since I repainted the apron so a little while longer won't hurt.

I can find out next time I'm at the post office, I'll PM you when I do. Thanks.

#6 6 years ago

A major thumbs up to a guy who inherently gets a major thumbs up.

Thanks Zach!

#7 6 years ago

This is a great idea. I sent an email about jungle lord cards and some other ideas I have.

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from boo32:

This is a great idea. I sent an email about jungle lord cards and some other ideas I have.

Sent you an e. Jungle Lord's a good one.

#9 6 years ago

Are you going to post the cards that are commissioned? Could you post a list of the ones you have lined up so we aren't triple requesting the same machines?

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from Quiddity:

Are you going to post the cards that are commissioned? Could you post a list of the ones you have lined up so we aren't triple requesting the same machines?

Good questions...

1) Yes, I'm going to post the commissioned cards. I'm going to make sure to thank and credit the donator. But indeed, others will be able to share the work. Several hours of work for a $20 donation that winds up on only one guy's machine wouldn't work for me. The point is, without the donation, I probably would have never done that game.

2) There are some pending and several that guys are inquiring about. Here's the bottom line... I have no need to upset, irritate or rip-off people in order to get a donation for Best Friends. So yes, if anyone asks for a card I'm already working on (or that has been commissioned already), I'll let them know so there won't wind up being any doubling up the commissioning of any game. In fact, I will still do some cards just because I want to (not commissioned) and in the same way, if someone wants to commission those, I'll tell them that there's no need because I'm doing them anyway. I want everyone to be happy with the outcome. Commissioning and donating was just an idea I had to make it worth while to work on cards that I wouldn't have chosen to do otherwise.

#11 6 years ago

Zachster, that is great of you to do this. Great idea!

#12 6 years ago

Looks like Skateball might be getting some love soon What a cool idea!

#13 6 years ago

Very cool idea, i am still looking for some nice Flintstones cards. And if possible, printed on paper/plastic that let's some light through (i made lights under the apron and flashers under the cards). If you can create them and send me some printed ones i am willing to donate to the good cause. Very nobel of you.

#14 6 years ago
    Quoted from sneljo82:

Very cool idea, i am still looking for some nice Flintstones cards. And if possible, printed on paper/plastic that let's some light through (i made lights under the apron and flashers under the cards). If you can create them and send me some printed ones i am willing to donate to the good cause. Very nobel of you.

I'd be happy to do the Flintstones if you'd like. I print them on the best photo paper I've found - so they're glossy and colorful. I can talk to you about some other transparency film/paper if you order them.

If you'd like to go forward, just email or PM me and I'll give you the info for payment.

#15 6 years ago

This is the side of my gameroom refrigerator...

PICT0012.JPG

#16 6 years ago

Bump for a great Pinsider and animal lover. Check is in the mail for $60.00.

New custom card will be Jack Bot. Also having Zach print me Tron and Avatar Card Set, figured the money is going to a good cause so what the hell.

#17 6 years ago

Let me tell you this as a graphic artist:

If it takes Zach an hour to do one of these new custom cards(which might or might not be the case, this is just for an example) and you "buy" them from him at $20, you are getting an amazing deal and you don't even realize it.

I'm a graphic artist currently and for the field I'm in, we charge $90/hr, and we're one of the cheapest places out there!

So, here you're getting custom designed and printed card shipped to you for your machine for twenty measly bucks. That is such a great deal. Nevermind the fact that Zach isn't just throwing graphics onto a generic background, his stuff is really well done! Some of his stuff is a downright perfect fit for the apron/theme, too.

#18 6 years ago

Thanks Miguel351. That's nice. I enjoy doing them and contributing back to the pastime that has entertained me my whole life.

By the way, many take way more than an hour - several hours usually. It would take much shorter if I knew exactly what I was doing to start, but the reality is that I just start with a blank file and get a bunch of ideas and start doing stuff in many directions at once. Eventually I whittle it down to the ones I like best - and even then, with some machines I wind up doing as many as 14 diff cards. It's a lot of trial and error before I get something I'm cool with.

#19 6 years ago
    Quoted from zachster:

By the way, many take way more than an hour - several hours usually. It would take much shorter if I knew exactly what I was doing to start, but the reality is that I just start with a blank file and get a bunch of ideas and start doing stuff in many directions at once. Eventually I whittle it down to the ones I like best - and even then, with some machines I wind up doing as many as 14 diff cards. It's a lot of trial and error before I get something I'm cool with.

Ahhh, so you're normal?

I figured you had this stuff down to a science and were cranking these things out pretty quick by now. I, too, take a while to get my ideas together for a set, then throw it all on one page and see what sticks. Then I'll print them out and look at them and see if they "work". I usually only start with a general theme idea I want(typically one that hasn't been done before), and go from there. I'm doing some for TAF, currently. I'll post them here when I'm done.

#20 6 years ago

So CSI were the first cards commissioned by donation. Woo-hoo! The next in line that I'm working on that have been donated for are Jack*Bot and WHO Dunnit? I've already raised $143 for Best Friends with more on the way that I haven't received yet. Thanks everybody.

#21 6 years ago

Jack*Bot finished. Courtesy of a generous donation from Toasterdog. Next up on the commission list are WHO?dunnit, Jungle Lord and Flintstones.

#22 6 years ago

Nice stuff! What print size and dpi do you use? I'm trying to make my own Demo Man cards.

#23 6 years ago

What do you have for BOP ? and I do believe that $20 donation is Tax deductible

BlindMan.jpg

#24 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Nice stuff! What print size and dpi do you use? I'm trying to make my own Demo Man cards.

The print size depends on each machine. Bally/Wms is different than Stern and Gottlieb. Also, the cards changed sizes in different eras.

The DPI I use is always 300. Best way to make sure they are high resolution and print nicely.

#25 6 years ago

What do you have for BOP ?

http://pinballcards.blogspot.com/search/label/BOP

Here are a couple of previews...

bop_set_2_-_right.jpg bop_set_1_-_left.jpg

#26 6 years ago

zachster, made a donation and sent you an email for a modified split rules card set for AC/DC. I like your design but would like the 'Lower Playfield' section removed for my newly acquired Pro model.

#27 6 years ago

I would like to get 4 sets from you. I need the cards for IJ, Addams Family, Monster Bash and Tales from the crypt. Can you get all 4 sets out to me. Tell me how to make my Contribution. Thanks, Tom

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from MadPole:

zachster, made a donation and sent you an email for a modified split rules card set for AC/DC. I like your design but would like the 'Lower Playfield' section removed for my newly acquired Pro model.

Thanks MadPole, I sent you an email, but the donations have to be sent to me. It's the only way for me to keep track of everything and make sure I get it all correct.

Quoted from tommypinball:

I would like to get 4 sets from you. I need the cards for IJ, Addams Family, Monster Bash and Tales from the Crypt. Can you get all 4 sets out to me. Tell me how to make my Contribution. Thanks, Tom

If you email or PM me, I'll give you my address, then you just send me a check already made out to "Best Friends Animal Society" or just "Best Friends". When I get the check, I can forward it to them and send you your cards.

#29 6 years ago
    Quoted from tommypinball:

I would like to get 4 sets from you. I need the cards for IJ, Addams Family, Monster Bash and Tales from the Crypt. Can you get all 4 sets out to me. Tell me how to make my Contribution. Thanks, Tom

Hey Tom, I sent you a PM with the info. I have not done MB. I don't know if you knew that and you were asking me to create them from scratch of if you thought I already had and just wanted some printed.

So, three sets of cards printed = $18 (+$20 additional if you actually want me to create new ones for MB)

Thanks, Zach

#30 6 years ago

Is there a way to send you the $ through Paypal?

#31 6 years ago
    Quoted from PINBELL:

Is there a way to send you the $ through Paypal?

Sorry to say that unfortunately, I can't accept payment thru Paypal. It is one of my main goals to make sure that all parties understand that I don't take any money myself for the cards and that the only payment goes directly to the charity. In order to accomplish that and make sure everything is square and clean is to make sure no money is paid directly to me. So the only solution (which has worked fine so far) is the one I mentioned above wherein you write out a check to Best Friends and mail it to me. That way, I can keep track of all the orders/requests and verify the amounts donated. Then I forward the checks to Best Friends.

#32 6 years ago
    Quoted from zachster:

Thanks MadPole, I sent you an email, but the donations have to be sent to me. It's the only way for me to keep track of everything and make sure I get it all correct.

Thanks Zach

#33 6 years ago

Recently, I've had many guys ask me which cards I've already made and can they see them. So, to reiterate, all my cards are shown on my side (and can all be downloaded)...

I also took a quick snapshot of my site to show the lists of cards already available It's on the top of my site). Just go to my site and click on any machine's name to see those cards.

// Error: Image 83297 not found // ScreenShot.jpg

#34 6 years ago

Fabulous idea. I'm in the UK so can't really mail a check donation as I don't have a US checking account and PayPal is not possible. Should you ever do Fish Tales though and make them available, I'll make a £20 GBP donation to the RSPCA (Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) which has similar aims here in the UK.

Brilliant work you're doing for the benefit of all.

Cheers!

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from xenon325i:

Should you ever do Fish Tales though and make them available, I'll make a £20 GBP donation to the RSPCA (Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) which has similar aims here in the UK.

Thanks for the offer, I'll keep that in mind. And thanks for the nice words.

1 week later
    #36 6 years ago

Finishing up a request/donation for the Flintstones now (specifically requested with the movie characters to match the game) - next up is Doctor Who.

#37 6 years ago

I just got my AC/DC custom cards in the mail.

Thanks Zach, they're great.

#38 6 years ago

Great idea Zach! We showed you some love on Pinball Head.

http://pinballhead.com/custom-arpon-cards-to-help-out-a-charity/

#39 6 years ago
    Quoted from Owlnonymous:

Great idea Zach! We showed you some love on Pinball Head.

That's very nice, thanks. Pinball Head is a great site.

#40 6 years ago

By the way, I finished up the Flintstones cards - made to match the game's movie theme (not the cartoon). I made 3 sets, here's one of them...

Next up - Doctor Who

fs3_copy.jpg fs1rulesb_copy.jpg

#41 6 years ago
    Quoted from zachster:

By the way, I finished up the Flintstones cards - made to match the game's movie theme (not the cartoon). I made 3 sets, here's one of them...
    Next up - Doctor Who

very nice

#42 6 years ago

Finished the Doctor Who - you can see them on the Pinside thread here....

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-doctor-who-custom-apron-cards

or at my site, of course.

Next up is F-14.

#43 6 years ago

zach what number set is this one

Quoted from zachster:By the way, I finished up the Flintstones cards - made to match the game's movie theme (not the cartoon). I made 3 sets, here's one of them...
    Next up - Doctor Who

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from Turboderf:

zach what number set is this one

It's number two. They are on my site now...

1 week later
    #45 6 years ago

Since this is the de facto thread for the cards done by request, just thought I'd update it. F-14 is finished, as well as IJ4. Next up are EATPM and Earthshaker.

ij4c2_copy.jpg f144_copy.jpg

#46 6 years ago

Received my BOP today as well as F-14 tomcat! Simply outstanding Zach!

#47 6 years ago

Cool looking forward to your EATPM cards

#48 6 years ago

Just got myself one of your STTNG sets.

Excellent stuff.

Cheers.

#49 6 years ago
    Quoted from v8racefan:

Cool looking forward to your EATPM cards

i will take a set of EATPM i still need to make a order for some NF & Flintstone

#50 6 years ago

Got my Flintstones cards, they look awesome. Thanks Zach!!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 74.99
    Playfield - Plastics
    Pin Monk
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Lighting - Other
    Professor Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 15.00
    $ 125.00
    Lighting - Backbox
    Great American Pinball
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 625.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 5,899.99
    Pinball Machine
    Pinball Pro
    $ 10.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Gweem's Mods
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    £ 39.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 16.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside