6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 91 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 months ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 3.54.34 PM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 2.10.13 PM (resized).png

There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 6 months ago

ALL light boards can and will go down

So what. Replacing stuff and fixing things are part of pinball and the last thing I ever worry about

#52 6 months ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

I actually popped a buffered 7.5 board during transit and have half my lights out. I was under the assumption that the 2.0 boards can go as well, but the design avoids having to jumper to another board and turn the bad board off in software preferences. Are there additional reliability enhancements to the 2.0 ones that minimize the chances of them blowing? I'm strongly considering requesting an upgrade kit if so, as the idea of swapping and troubleshooting boards is not exactly appealing to me

The 2.0 kit is not serial, so one bad light upstream will not affect the lights below it (making them flicker, be the wrong color, or dark). The system itself is more reliable, too. We never had a problem with Hobbit or Dialed In lighting that use 2.0, and this is the same system retrofit into a WoZ.

If you stick with the old system and need boards, I have all my old "tested" 1.0 WoZ light boards on the marketplace for $400 (I didn't include the non-working ones). Just a couple of the big boards alone would cost that.

#53 6 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

The 2.0 kit is not serial, so one bad light upstream will not affect the lights below it (making them flicker, be the wrong color, or dark). The system itself is more reliable, too. We never had a problem with Hobbit or Dialed In lighting that use 2.0, and this is the same system retrofit into a WoZ.
    If you stick with the old system and need boards, I have all my old "tested" 1.0 WoZ light boards on the marketplace for $400 (I didn't include the non-working ones). Just a couple of the big boards alone would cost that.

Do you know when they started using the 2.0 system in WOZ? my personal experience with DI and Hobbit is the that light system is very reliable...

#54 6 months ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Do you know when they started using the 2.0 system in WOZ? my personal experience with DI and Hobbit is the that light system is very reliable...

I think most of the RR have the 2.0 system. All the ECLEs will be 1.0.

#55 6 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

I have all my old "tested" 1.0 WoZ light boards on the marketplace for $400 (I didn't include the non-working ones). Just a couple of the big boards alone would cost that.

Solid deal, but don't think your 5v would play well with my 7.5? At least on JJP's page it says not to mix. I have to pick up a couple long cables to troubleshoot a little more, hoping it's just one board. Bummer you can't order cables directly from their shop, just waiting for somebody to get to me for my support ticket.

#56 6 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

I think most of the RR have the 2.0 system. All the ECLEs will be 1.0.

my WOZ RR built in Oct 2015 had the 7.5V boards....so sometime after that they started using the 2.0 system, but not exactly sure when?

#57 6 months ago
    Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Solid deal, but don't think your 5v would play well with my 7.5? At least on JJP's page it says not to mix. I have to pick up a couple long cables to troubleshoot a little more, hoping it's just one board. Bummer you can't order cables directly from their shop, just waiting for somebody to get to me for my support ticket.

I dunno. Mine are a factory mix of 7.5 and 5v buffered. JJP said as long as you didn't have more than like 4 or 5 7.5v it was fine.

I ended up buying 4 extra long cables so I had them on hand to diagnose board issues as they cropped up. Well worth the cost.

#58 6 months ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

my WOZ RR built in Oct 2015 had the 7.5V boards....so sometime after that they started using the 2.0 system, but not exactly sure when?

Yeah, the early RR had 1.0 system, that's why I said most of the RR. It's definitely not all.

#59 6 months ago

*edit* I guess I’d just like to spend less in the long run buying boards. I think sticking with my 7.5 is the way to go.

Thanks to vireland for selling me a couple long cables to get sorted.

Screen Shot 2018-08-27 at 3.54.34 PM (resized).png

#60 6 months ago

Those boards are crazy expensive...makes the conversion kit look cheap

#61 6 months ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Those boards are crazy expensive...makes the conversion kit look cheap

Especially when you factor in that the 5v buffered/7.5v buffered boards will still continue to fail over time. You'll be rebuying them over and over through the years. It's a one-time hassle, but I definitely recommend the 2.0 conversion kit.

#62 6 months ago

The only board I've replaced is W6. It was $159.99 to buy outright, but $69.99 with the return of my old board.

Also, the 2.0 boards are not foolproof. Only the driver ICs have changed, and it's still possible for the LEDs themselves to fail, just as it is for any game with LEDs in it.

Myself, I would not recommend proactively changing over to the 2.0 boards. Maybe if you have had multiple failures, but otherwise, I believe it would take a long time for it to pay off.

#63 6 months ago
    Quoted from herg:

The only board I've replaced is W6. It was $159.99 to buy outright, but $69.99 with the return of my old board.
    Also, the 2.0 boards are not foolproof. Only the driver ICs have changed, and it's still possible for the LEDs themselves to fail, just as it is for any game with LEDs in it.
    Myself, I would not recommend proactively changing over to the 2.0 boards. Maybe if you have had multiple failures, but otherwise, I believe it would take a long time for it to pay off.

Something is substantially different with the 2.0 system - or maybe that change of driver ICs makes all the difference. Hobbit and Dialed In are rock-solid. So while it's technically possible, it's MUCH less likely the lighting on a 2.0 system will fail, based on the real-world experience so far from those two games.

We may have had a dud WoZ ECLE, but once the boards started failing, it was one board after another, and the costs added up quickly.

BTW, do you have some kind of LED OCD-type product for X-MEN LE and AC/DC LE yet? The blinking on those is so abrupt it drives me crazy.

#64 6 months ago

I believe the 2.0 on rrwoz was used on and after dec 15 2016 . I specifically waited for a 2.0 rrwoz since its a much better system imo. There have been very very few if any issues with the 2.0 system on hobbit, di and rrwoz and i dont believe we will c many arise.

#65 6 months ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

I believe the 2.0 on rrwoz was used on and after dec 15 2016 . I specifically waited for a 2.0 rrwoz since its a much better system imo. There have been very very few if any issues with the 2.0 system on hobbit, di and rrwoz and i dont believe we will c many arise.

Good to know....thanks

#66 6 months ago
    Quoted from herg:

Some advantages that I believe the 2.0 boards have are non-serial signaling which means less likely to have large chains of lights go out, better more durable cabling and sockets, and newer version driver and LED chips and light boards which are likely less prone to static discharge issues. As you said though, the LEDs and driver chips can still fail. I don't know what happens in ten years with any of them.

#67 6 months ago
    Quoted from vireland:

BTW, do you have some kind of LED OCD-type product for X-MEN LE and AC/DC LE yet?

No, sorry. I've never owned one of the Stern with serial LEDs, and it's a very different problem to solve than lamp matrix.

#68 6 months ago

Yes, 15Dec2016 was when they went to the 2.0 system. WOZ is NOT in production and has been out of production for a few months. I’m told they might start another run late this year.

#69 6 months ago

So my experience with light boards is long, and ultimately a positive one.

I started out with the 5v boards and power supply. This was back in July 2013 at the start of production. In a short time I was having single LED board failures and contacted JJP. I happened to get ahold of Jack and arranged to bring my machine in to the engineering office in Streamwood so that Eric and Matt could swap out the boards for a second generation set which I think were the first rev of 7v boards and 7v power supply. I honestly think this was news to Eric and Matt, but Jack happened to be in town and explained it to them.

Soon after, it acted up again, so the next thing I know Eric is coming over with his next revision of boards and installing the whole set for me there, in our family room. They were working well enough for me to be able to take my game to Terry's for his open house that year. In fact, I had few subsequent failures after that.

Once I moved to Denver where it is a lot drier, static messed with it and I lost a board or two. By that time Eric had come up with the buffer boards, and so the replacements were both the new buffer style. Since then, I haven't had a single issue (knock on wood.)

The bottom line? All that amazing service never cost me a cent and I made a friend along the way.

I'm only into my WOZ for about $4k (that's another story) but I would never sell this thing even for current market pricing at or around $7500. WOZ has value for days, especially compared to Stern premium and LEs. If you want to own one, don't sit and wait for them to be a $5k pin. Someday you might find one, but why lose out on the enjoyment that the rest of us are experiencing? I don't think you need to get a v2 kit, it seems like a couple of buffer boards are all it takes to ensure stability. And depending on when the WOZ you're contemplating was built, it may be all buffer boards.

#70 6 months ago

I’m selling a huo rrwoz for 7500. I think that’s fair.

#71 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Sounds more than fair.

#72 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

ONLY if it has the 2.0 light boards though. Nothing else is acceptable!!!

Put it out there on the market, if there is a buyer then its a good deal for both.

#73 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

its a great deal if the game is in great shape, HUO, and has the 2.0 light system....

#74 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

So I guess the million-dollar question is, Pinphila does your WOZ have the 2.0 light boards in it???

#75 6 months ago
    Quoted from teddyb73:

So I guess the million-dollar question is, Pinphila does your WOZ have the 2.0 light boards in it???

Not him, but at $7500 I would guess not and it still seems like a great price.

#76 6 months ago

I would say $7000-$7200. That is why his is still sitting at $7500.

#77 6 months ago
    Quoted from teddyb73:

Isn't his listed as trade rather than sale?
    It is usually harder to come up with a trade that requires two games than to sell outright.

#78 6 months ago

Its listed as both.

#79 6 months ago
    Quoted from teddyb73:

Its listed as both.

He should probably modify his listing because it only says trade for a few games. His related sale thread which probably not many have seen has him bringing up selling it about halfway down the thread.

Also, he has it stated at $7750 rather than $7500. It seems just about every game these days that is in that price range is struggling to sell. For some reason people are willing to pay $8700 to $9500 for NIB LEs and then when they get tired of them the market got flooded with attempted sales. The bubble is happening for higher priced games. How long will people be able to continue to buy NIB games close to $10k and then sell them at a 15 to 25% loss within a year or two? Most people I know are already maxed out on space so something has to give and eventually that something will be NIB sales numbers.

#80 6 months ago

I haven't had any problems with my light boards at all. I swear people just harp on them just to get the price lower.

I wouldn't sell my RRWOZ that low. It's also the only game my wife forbids me to sell.

John (Pinphilia) is a great dude to deal with!

#81 6 months ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

He should probably modify his listing because it only says trade for a few games. His related sale thread which probably not many have seen has him bringing up selling it about halfway down the thread.
    Also, he has it stated at $7750 rather than $7500. It seems just about every game these days that is in that price range is struggling to sell. For some reason people are willing to pay $8700 to $9500 for NIB LEs and then when they get tired of them the market got flooded with attempted sales. The bubble is happening for higher priced games. How long will people be able to continue to buy NIB games close to $10k and then sell them at a 15 to 25% loss within a year or two? Most people I know are already maxed out on space so something has to give and eventually that something will be NIB sales numbers.

You always had a huge loss when it came to selling after buying NIB. It's only the past 7 years or so, that people were recouping a higher % when it came time to sell. Things are starting to go back to the way it was, when you took a good size hit after opening the box. It's kind of like buying a new car. Horrible in terms of finances.

#82 6 months ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

You always had a huge loss when it came to selling after buying NIB. It's only the past 7 years or so, that people were recouping a higher % when it came time to sell. Things are starting to go back to the way it was, when you took a good size hit after opening the box. It's kind of like buying a new car. Horrible in terms of finances.

Good point. The manufacturer's also seemed to have raised NIB prices at least in part because of the higher re-sale values, especially after seeing some LEs go up in value.

#83 6 months ago
    Quoted from Butch2099:

I haven't had any problems with my light boards at all. I swear people just harp on them just to get the price lower.
    I wouldn't sell my RRWOZ that low. It's also the only game my wife forbids me to sell.
    John (Pinphilia) is a great dude to deal with!

Thanks Bob. I agree with you. Really in no hurry to sell. As you can see, I haven’t pumped the sh!t out of my forsale thread which is common here. Has 7.5 boards. Had some good trade offers if I wanted to ship. Lots of tire kickers. Great game. I’m confident I’ll get my price.

#84 6 months ago
    Quoted from teddyb73:

The people who chimed in on this thread who bought and sold WoZ's recently were all higher than that, including myself.

Keep in mind that summer is not the best time of year to sell, and higher priced pins usually sit on the market longer than Stern Pro or mid range B/W DMD games.

#85 6 months ago
    Quoted from teddyb73:

There is one listed in Reading Pa for 8500, that may be a better fit for you.

#86 6 months ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

The people who chimed in on this thread who bought and sold WoZ's recently were all higher than that, including myself.
    Keep in mind that summer is not the best time of year to sell, and higher priced pins usually sit on the market longer than Stern Pro or mid range B/W DMD games.

Seems to me the market for a pre 2016 WOZ RR or ECLE with 7.5V boards, HUO, and in great shape is $7200-$7500.....if you have the new light system its higher...I bought my original WOZ RR built in Oct 2015 for $7100 last year...game had less than 100 plays....this is a prime example of a game that your better off trading for another game so both parties get what they want.

#87 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

There is one listed in Reading Pa for 8500, that may be a better fit for you.

We will see if you get your number John. I hope someone proves me wrong, and you get it. GLWTS.

#88 6 months ago

Picked up a really nice late build ECLE today. The game was HUO with the witch mod, fully cliffy protectors, tornado mod, stadium lights, trough lights, Green lighted shooter rod (very cool), 7.5V buffered right boards, plastic protectors...very low plays...game was in mint condition .... paid $7350....great seller...smooth transaction

#89 6 months ago
    Quoted from PtownPin:

Picked up a really nice late build ECLE today. The game was HUO with the witch mod, fully cliffy protectors, tornado mod, stadium lights, trough lights, Green lighted shooter rod (very cool), 7.5V buffered right boards, plastic protectors...very low plays...game was in mint condition .... paid $7350....great seller...smooth transaction

nice! I've seen a couple of RR games around for that price, but I absolutely prefer the ECLE

#90 6 months ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

nice! I've seen a couple of RR games around for that price, but I absolutely prefer the ECLE

Its a nicer looking game than the RR....I've had both and ECLE with the wood apron, and clear coated decals puts it over the top...I was happy with the purchase especially with the nice mods...adding the play field lights really helps as the game is dark at night....

#91 6 months ago
    Quoted from Pinphila:

Thanks Bob. I agree with you. Really in no hurry to sell. As you can see, I haven’t pumped the sh!t out of my forsale thread which is common here. Has 7.5 boards. Had some good trade offers if I wanted to ship. Lots of tire kickers. Great game. I’m confident I’ll get my price.

Your price is a good one, I sold a rr with a lot of mods and 2015 manufacture date (7.5v boards) for significantly more than what you are asking a few months ago. It wasn’t an overnight sale, but it will sell at that price. You don’t see many RRs come up at or below your price. It’s $800 to upgrade to the 2.0 boards, so buyer would be at $8400 if they decided to upgrade compared to nib at what $9500. The previous owner of my game said he had replaced three boards and a cable, I had no issues with it while I owned it. You may move it faster trading and taking in some cash.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 10.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer
    $ 29.90
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 20.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pinball Z
    $ 159.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 239.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 10.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 218.00
    € 197.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    There are 91 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside