(Topic ID: 104697)

Current Trends for LE secondary market...

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-498.jpg
10170974_10152738377624244_4679686599676484191_n.jpg
magic-8-ball.jpg
bb.jpg
image-379.jpg
image-730.jpg
image.jpg
tron-toon-1.jpg
tron-guy-legacy.jpg
tron-daftpunk-multiball.jpg
tron.jpg
supermariopinball.jpg
tron-1mil.gif
image.jpg
acdc.jpeg
images-228.jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dphelps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#211 9 years ago

Collectibles (including pinball machines) if viewed as investments, are extremely risky. When the market/hype goes up, collectibles will skyrocket in value, but if the market gets saturated and/or the hype wears off, the prices will go down. This downward price trend may be what we're seeing now in pinball, I don't know (since I can't predict the future).

My personal opinion has always been that buying an LE as an investment that you expect to go up in value or at least sell for what you bought it for is a very unreliable plan.

I bought STLE because we are huge Trekkies, and Steve Ritchie designed it. I already have STTNG and would have bought STLE pretty much no matter what. It turns out, IMO, that it is a fantastic game, especially with the 1.5 code, which is great. I don't ever see it leaving my collection. This is partly because we're such big Trek fans. That's the reason to buy an LE, because the theme is extremely important to you and you're going to buy it no matter what, and you want the extra cosmetic details. Buying it and counting on it not going down in value is an extremely risky plan (as recent history has shown).

If you're buying it only for gameplay, and the theme doesn't do anything for you, then just buy the premium (or pro if the premium features aren't enough to justify it). But still don't be surprised if the price goes down. The market is saturated and prices may very well continue to go down.

WOZ is a great game and my wife wanted one after playing it at TPF 2013. The theme does absolutely nothing for me, so I just pre-ordered a standard. It's a great game and we couldn't be happier with it. We don't care that it doesn't have green or red trim, because we're not Wizard of OZ superfans. We just like the gameplay features and the way the game looks and sounds.

I've always felt that pinball machines aren't an investment, but rather just a fun (and very expensive) hobby. If you want an investment, buy a mutual fund. If you want a fun toy that may or may not go up in value, buy a pinball machine.

Just my two cents.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dphelps.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/current-trends-for-le-secondary-market?tu=dphelps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.