(Topic ID: 104697)

Current Trends for LE secondary market...

By Whysnow

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 281 posts
  • 89 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by BC_Gambit
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-498.jpg
10170974_10152738377624244_4679686599676484191_n.jpg
magic-8-ball.jpg
bb.jpg
image-379.jpg
image-730.jpg
image.jpg
tron-toon-1.jpg
tron-guy-legacy.jpg
tron-daftpunk-multiball.jpg
tron.jpg
supermariopinball.jpg
tron-1mil.gif
image.jpg
acdc.jpeg
images-228.jpeg
There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
#151 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

trends are hard to ignore.
also > 2 sales now at 6k, not 1.
Neighsay (pun intended) it all you want but if you want to sell your STLE currently you are looking at 6250 or less.
6500+ and it will sit like the others >> or you may find someone not paying attention...

So have "more than two" STLEs now sold at $6k? That's what you're saying here (unless your ">" was a typo or some kind of obscure Wisconsin punctuation). Previously in the thread you said there were two sales at $6k.

Quoted from Whysnow:

still listed in your collection... If anything a sale of 6800 this month is the real anomaly in the trend (if it even happened).

I know you are shocked, shocked, that a STLE may have sold for $6800 recently, but implying that the guy is lying without substantial proof is uncalled for.

Look, I don't care if the market price for STLE is now really $6k, don't own one and never plan to. But you seem a tad aggressive in arguing the point here. Overstating facts and disparaging the character of people offering evidence that conflicts with your viewpoint isn't going to win anyone over.

#152 9 years ago
Quoted from edwinpblue:

That's interesting because I wouldn't compare them to OTC stocks.

Why not?

Very low volume of trades.

The buyer and seller have their own prices they are willing to buy and sell at.

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

No cargument yet. Hmm... should I?

You're too late. This was in the post four above yours:

Quoted from edwinpblue:

A Shelby Mustang for sale in Dallas won't affect prices in Detroit.

#154 9 years ago

On a related note, i've noticed prices on Shadow and Whirlwind have been in the dumper and have been sitting for extended periods of time in the $1500 price range. If anyone needs to dump their's, i'm your guy.

all in good fun, folks. all in good fun.

#155 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

Which one of your friends is looking for stle, hilton?

He had dibs on the 6k one from the other day that was less than 20 mins from him, but opted not to get it in favor of playing some of the new botique stuff and TWD at Expo and then decide.

I told him he was crazy as 6k and local is worth it IMHO as I dig the game. He is stressed over tax time for him and just sitting on the sidelines till he knows what he really wants.

#156 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You're too late. This was in the post four above yours:

And it's always the Shelby!

#157 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

So have "more than two" STLEs now sold at $6k? That's what you're saying here (unless your ">" was a typo or some kind of obscure Wisconsin punctuation). Previously in the thread you said there were two sales at $6k.

I know you are shocked, shocked, that a STLE may have sold for $6800 recently, but implying that the guy is lying without substantial proof is uncalled for.
Look, I don't care if the market price for STLE is now really $6k, don't own one and never plan to. But you seem a tad aggressive in arguing the point here. Overstating facts and disparaging the character of people offering evidence that conflicts with your viewpoint isn't going to win anyone over.

Nope just 2 that I know of. ">" was an arrow and not intended to be a "greater than"
2 games at 6000 or less (5990 ) in the past 10 days.

I am not shocked at all if one recently sold for 6800 as their are plenty of people that over pay for toys with little research, but user history is an important factor in belief of any story.
I am not looking to win anyone over and just having some fun discussing what the appartent change in high end resale prices on LEs may mean for the bigger picture of our hobby.

I really hope it means good things in the long run (i.e. lower prices on everything is great from my perspective) but fear that we have poor timing and a few larger businesses that are very short sighted and care more about the quick buck than the long term dollar. I think the next 2-4 years are going to be just as interesting as the past 2 and very dynamic. I certainly hope that some company is able to enter the market and find success in the sub5k NIB world. All I desire is more NEW pinball and for the long haul.

Right now with 8k LEs everywhere and MMR sucking cash out of the hobby and then losing 1-2k in a 12 month period I think overall sales are going to drop quickly. The question to me is can Stern deliver a high quality product with finished code for less money? Can spooky carve out a niche via manufacturing others games? Can Riot deliver on the high price LE of WOOLY? Can Predator/Skit-B make a name and develop future hits for less than the 8k threshold set by others? TBL and what will they do?

Right now I see what I think is a completely unsustainable 8k NIB market and lots of fake collectability with some real collectability (250 Pred, 250 WOOLY). How does the $$$/collectability/ theme/ loss in value/ entertainment value all stack up and impact the near and longer future?

It sure is a fun time to be into pinball!!!

#158 9 years ago

I think timing has a lot to do with the LE pricing.

When JJP first came on the scene, I remember them saying they weren't going after Stern's market, instead they would be offering a full featured game at a premium price. At the time, I think WOZ at $6500 was $1500 more than the latest Stern model.

However, it took JJP such a long time to get WOZ out that Stern was able to increase their pricing without really adding anything significant in regards to innovation or stuff to their games.

Flash forward to today and it looks like Stern will be competing with many companies, not just JJP. The TBL launch shows another company offering a full featured game with some innovation.

As more and more of these games hit the market, I expect Stern will need to change their pricing or start putting more into their LE's if they want to remain competitive at the current price point. I don't think theme alone is going to be enough.

#159 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

(i.e. lower prices on everything is great from my perspective)

i doubt it. there are poor people out there with 16 pinball machines! can you imagine how many the rich guys own?

this is payback for your smart comments earlier. I'm done pestering you now.

#160 9 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

And it's always the Shelby!

I wanted a premium version of a model and one that sold in the thousands. Besides it's a bad ass car!
image.jpgimage.jpg

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

i doubt it. there are poor people out there with 16 pinball machines! can you imagine how many the rich guys own?
this is payback for your smart comments earlier. I'm done pestering you now.

I lol'd.

My rebuttal... They usually don't own any!

#162 9 years ago

Today's LE's will be our kids project pins 20+ years from now.... Only they won't have to do anything to get them running, and they'll be paid to take them away from location.

#163 9 years ago

Deflation is setting in everywhere (much to the chagrin of Central Bankers the world over). Precious metal prices are leading the charge lower. The world is in massive oversupply (except for fresh water lol), so watch for everyting, including pinball machines, to gently settle to a flat to downward trajectory over the coming years. It's good for everybody by the way. Inflation is just the debasement of your hard earned cash over time.

#164 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Deflation is setting in everywhere (much to the chagrin of Central Bankers the world over). Precious metal prices are leading the charge lower.

I would argue that we're seeing Deflation for the things we want, and Inflation for things we need.

#165 9 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

Stern is still in a learning curve about how many LEs is the right number to produce.

That is a learning curve that is never fully learned.

There will always be some titles where they make too many or too little.

Every time I see those strange pinball cabinets on EBDLE, Centaur 2 , or MrMsPac I can't help but think about who at Bally thought they were going to sell so many Rapidfires, that they ordered enough cabs for 13,000 extra games......

#166 9 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Deflation is setting in everywhere (much to the chagrin of Central Bankers the world over). Precious metal prices are leading the charge lower. The world is in massive oversupply (except for fresh water lol), so watch for everyting, including pinball machines, to gently settle to a flat to downward trajectory over the coming years. It's good for everybody by the way. Inflation is just the debasement of your hard earned cash over time.

Huh??

Once the economy improves, watch for how much inflation is going to hurt.

Too many dollars chasing too few products = inflation.

#167 9 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

That is a learning curve that is never fully learned.
There will always be some titles where they make too many or too little.

Now with the 'Vault' I would think smart business would be to shoot low on everything and if secondary market appears to indicate demand then make VEs a few years later?

#168 9 years ago

I bought XM LE and STLE and sold quickly for losses and regretted buying both.

Short answer, not buying any more LE's. Too expensive and don't like taking a loss if the game is a dud. Better to wait a year or two and pick up in the secondary market.

Can't see any future LE's going up in value.

#169 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Short answer, not buying any more LE's. Too expensive and don't like taking a loss if the game is a dud. Better to wait a year or two and pick up in the secondary market.

You thought XMLE and STLE were both duds? Interesting.

#170 9 years ago

Another's loss is another's gain.

#171 9 years ago

Short answer, not buying any more LE's. Too expensive and don't like taking a loss if the game is a dud.

The trend would suggest that you will probably take a loss on all future LE's, whether they are duds or not.

#172 9 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Where are these super cheap WOZs? I'd give the game a go in my collection if the price was right.

I know of one that sold for 6k

#173 9 years ago
Quoted from Jvspin:

However, it took JJP such a long time to get WOZ

Boy, that's an understatement. It took them so long to get them all out that by the time they did get them all out, nobody cared anymore.

#174 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It seems obvious to many other very smart guys that hang out here (BTW they are smart, only bang 10s, and clear 1mil each year so these guys know what is up).

Anyone fitting this description complaining about the price of LEs can just shut the F*** up.

#175 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Anyone fitting this description complaining about the price of LEs can just shut the F*** up.

they are also hung like a baby arm holding an apple FWIW.

#176 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

You're from NY, ask any Giants or Jets fan how they feel about the value of their PSL.

#177 9 years ago

I think one issue is everyone uses Pinside as the barometer when it comes to pricing. We are just a small sample of the pinball population. My buddy sold his STLE today for $6500 and it took only a few days to sell. It wasn't posted on pinside and he had a few interested parties as well.

#178 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I think one issue is everyone uses Pinside as the barometer when it comes to pricing. We are just a small sample of the pinball population. My buddy sold his STLE today for $6500 and it took only a few days to sell. It wasn't posted on pinside and he had a few interested parties as well.

People are free to make good deals and bad deals, congrats on the Seller and the Buyer, well, not so good. But and extra $500 may be no big deal to that guy.

#179 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

Excellent. I had mine on mrpinball with an asking price of $7200 and I was dealt down to $6800. For some reason a few of the guys have a hard time grasping the fact that there is more to pinball than pinside. I posted the price that mine sold for and it was quickly pointed out that it was still listed in my collection. Heaven forbid I never ran to pinside to update my collection!

#180 9 years ago

To me anywhere from 6 to 7 K for a STLE seems like the ballpark for now. IF I was in the market and genuinely wanted the game, AND it came up for sale to me I am obviously going to be happier with the lower price.

But, am I going to pass on it just because of a few hundred bucks? A thousand? What are the odds another one will come up for sale locally to me if I want it NOW?

That being said, I tend not to want games "now". I just picked up a SM, and that game is ~ 7 years old and I have wanted it for years. If it takes me that long to pick up an AC/DC or Metallica, then so be it.

#181 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

You are 100% correct, well said.

#182 9 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

I always thought Pinside was the best place to get top dollar (ignoring eBay). I guess that is changing - good for buyers here.

#183 9 years ago

Tron LE all the way bay-bee
...one sa-weet ride...

tron-1mil.giftron-1mil.gif

#184 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

TRON LE all the way bay-bee
...one sa-weet ride...

My guess is that Tron LE, BIB and SMB will take a pretty big fall as time goes on and more new, enticing pins come out. Key word being guess. The LEs were actually limited but there are plenty of essentially the same game without the extra bling selling for close to half the price. This seems like a real anomaly in the hobby today, and things that seem too good usually come back down to earth. But then again looks do matter.

#185 9 years ago

why is everyone selling stle? I have played it and I think its a great game.
what is it that people want to sell?

#186 9 years ago
Quoted from mrgone:

Why is everyone selling stle? I have played it and I think its a great game. What is it that people want to sell?

I'm guessing a lot of people are seeing all the cool new stuff coming out and need to sell a high dollar pin like STLE to free up some cash. I'm sure others simply don't like the pin as much as they thought they would, and are looking to replace it with another title. I really like STLE, and have no plans to sell mine anytime soon. Ever since the new code dropped, I've been playing it every day.

#187 9 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

My guess is that TRON LE, BIB and SMB will take a pretty big fall as time goes on and more new, enticing pins come out. Key word being guess. The LEs were actually limited but there are plenty of essentially the same game without the extra bling selling for close to half the price. This seems like a real anomaly in the hobby today, and things that seem too good usually come back down to earth. But then again looks do matter.

My SMB is priceless

supermariopinball.jpgsupermariopinball.jpg

#188 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

My SMB is priceless

It's a bitch to remember all the acroynms the older you get. I have a hard enough time with anniversaries and birthdays.

#189 9 years ago
Quoted from labnip:

TRON LE all the way bay-bee
...one sa-weet ride...

I really don't get why Tron LE is now going for double what Tron Pro costs. There's not $5k worth of added value there.

#190 9 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I really don't get why TRON LE is now going for double what Tron Pro costs. There's not $5k worth of added value there.

Because there are only 250 of them. It doesn't matter what you are selling or what anybody says on this forum, limited production equals higher value....... to most (Not all, I know there are some who don't care about getting on the LE train)

Put a Tron next to a Tron LE on a showroom floor and mark them both for sale. You tell me which one the buyer will be more attracted to IF THERE IS NO PRICE POSTED. Once they see the price their opinion will change.

#191 9 years ago

My buddy has one for sale at $6500 for a month with invisa glass and has had VERY little if any action.

Can you pass on the contact information of the other interested parties? We are only a few hours away...i'll be sure he gets it

Thanks!

Quoted from BoJo:

#192 9 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

limited production equals higher value....... to most

Not to me, but I guess only a few dozen buyers need to buy into this idea to keep the price up.

#193 9 years ago

Really? looking at these side by side you'd take the Pro model? C'mon now......

tron.jpgtron.jpg

Thanks NJGecko for the pics on a previous thread!

#194 9 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

People are free to make good deals and bad deals, congrats on the Seller and the Buyer, well, not so good. But and extra $500 may be no big deal to that guy.

I don't think you can make a sweeping good/bad deal generalization. Where you live and pin availability can be a big factor.

#195 9 years ago
Quoted from paul_8788:

I don't think you can make a sweeping good/bad deal generalization. Where you live and pin availability can be a big factor.

Exactly; $500 can easily be the cost of gas / food / hotel / ferry to pick up a "cheap" road trip pin. If its a half hour drive, my time can be worth that if it is a pin I am jonesing for (once again, I only tend to buy ~ 1 pin a year... so its not like I am rotating games every 30 days like some guys seem to here ).

#196 9 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Definitely - I'd buy the Pro and add the bling myself for $1500 (tops).

#197 9 years ago

You're missing my point. I said the LE is worth more than the pro. Side by side comparison is easy to see why it's worth more

#198 9 years ago

If you are asking with everything else bring equal would most people choose the LE? Of course! If you are asking would people chose the LE regardless of price then I would suggest that they wouldn't.

#199 9 years ago

No offense but this thread title reminds me more of something i'd see in a scientific journal than a pinside post. makes me laugh every time i see it. lol. sorry.

#200 9 years ago
Quoted from chrisjens2:

Bad example. Show a pro with the lighting kit and el paper lit custom armor and aprons.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Disk war combatant Pre-order!
RamMods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
PFX Pinball Mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 26.50
$ 8.00
Playfield - Plastics
Minty's Mods

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 14.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 99.00
Boards
PinballReplacementParts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 281 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/current-trends-for-le-secondary-market/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.