2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 25 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by indybru
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Is it just me and my poor research, or does it seem that newer Sterns from 2013-2016( prior to GB & DI) have held their resale value pretty good? I know about what the street price is for a brand new games , then I look at the used price , and see only $500-600 loss in value. Is this because of the QC issues Stern had last year with some 2016 games and the prior releases are just more attractive to buyers, price increases, or what?
    I had considered waiting a year and buying the new AS used , but hell, if I'm only going to save $600-$700 , and use half that up with shipping from an individual, it doesn't make sense to wait. I can buy a new Stern local and save the shipping cost, and have a warranty ( a tiny little warranty, but a warranty none the less).
    BTW: As an old WMS guy, I really can't believe I'm excited about what Stern has done lately with cool themes and technology advancements.

JP

#2 2 years ago

Serious question would you expect the games to be $1K less if they are used? Prices have held steady in the used market for quite some time now. If you don't feel that saving $600 - $700 is enough i doubt you will find something that pleases you unless you buy NIB. As well buying local will enable you to save on shipping.

#3 2 years ago

I would take the HUO at a $500-$700 discount.

Most likely, all of the issues will have been sorted by the original owner. As a bonus, I won't have as big a concern about ghosting inserts.

#4 2 years ago

That's why I'm buying NIB. After shipping, if you want a relatively new pin you only save $200 to $300 and you have to
    wait. I have a AS and GB (gets here tomorrow!) on order. As an old WMS guy you might consider a JJP product as well.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from joey__p__1966:

Is it just me and my poor research, or does it seem that newer Sterns from 2013-2016( prior to GB & DI) have held their resale value pretty good? I know about what the street price is for a brand new games , then I look at the used price , and see only $500-600 loss in value. Is this because of the QC issues Stern had last year with some 2016 games and the prior releases are just more attractive to buyers, price increases, or what?
    I had considered waiting a year and buying the new AS used , but hell, if I'm only going to save $600-$700 , and use half that up with shipping from an individual, it doesn't make sense to wait. I can buy a new Stern local and save the shipping cost, and have a warranty ( a tiny little warranty, but a warranty none the less).
    BTW: As an old WMS guy, I really can't believe I'm excited about what Stern has done lately with cool themes and technology advancements.
    JP

Your research is accurate. Sometimes used makes sense if it pops up locally for the right price. Otherwise just buy new.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from Mike_J:

I would take the HUO at a $500-$700 discount.
    Most likely, all of the issues will have been sorted by the original owner. As a bonus, I won't have as big a concern about ghosting inserts.

Good point about the inserts, but I'm hopeful that Stern is working on this, as they are shipping replacement pf's and it's costing them big time. They cant keep doing that, I'm sure the manufacture of the clearcoat has changed it's process and or product by now. That's my business, and I can tell you someone is in deep crap over the clear coat recommendation. For all I know, it's my product on them, have no knowledge of what brand of clear , but someone is aware and fixing it I would have to believe.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

Serious question would you expect the games to be $1K less if they are used? Prices have held steady in the used market for quite some time now. If you don't feel that saving $600 - $700 is enough i doubt you will find something that pleases you unless you buy NIB. As well buying local will enable you to save on shipping.

Actually, I would expect it to be quite a bit less. Well, maybe 25% depreciation once opened and a year old , kind of like a new boat/car or other item. That's pretty good if I can buy a pin brand new,play it for 2 years, and sell it for 85-90% of what I paid. If I could buy a used one for $4200-4400 I would wait. Usually get a few mods/upgrades too. But I assume used they will be $4500 plus $350 shipping. So I'm at $4850 used, or low to mid 5's new . For me, Ive had my NIB experience, it was fun, but not necessary now. But I have to believe if QC issues arise, Stern will be more likely to work with me if I bought it new, vs second hand. 60 days isn't long enough in my house to find issues with inserts,decals or clear coat. My games get played solely by me after the first week of "new toy" wears off and I play maybe a game a night 4 nights a week- that's it, and will have many games to choose from, so each game gets played maybe 4 times a month .
    Think NIB might be the way to go , or wait 2 or more years, assuming I actually like the game play of it when it hits the street.
    JP

#7 2 years ago

Actually, I would expect it to be quite a bit less. Well, maybe 25% depreciation once opened and a year old , kind of like a new boat/car or other item.

Pinball doesn't work that way. But you can always day dream

#8 2 years ago

In my opinion, if you can buy a HUO at a discount of $500, assuming it's a good game that holds its value (not talking about Avengers or KISS, but more like Met, ACDC, TWD, IMVE, Tron...) then you can buy it, play it, and sell it at $0 discount when you're done.
    What's not to like about that!?!
    Locally, there is never a glut of recently opened HUO games available. If you want a new title, the only option is the distributor. Rare exceptions.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Pinball doesn't work that way. But you can always day dream

Yea! I see that !

Gonna risk it, and order new I guess. Don't want to wait till 2019, gonna be a broke-ass with my kid starting college that year. NO MORE PINBALL for me for a while, better get it while I can
    JP

#10 2 years ago

Yea! I see that !
    Gonna risk it, and order new I guess. Don't want to wait till 2019, gonna be a broke-ass with my kid starting college that year. NO MORE PINBALL for me for a while, better get it while I can
    JP

If $ is a concern (as it is for most of us), why not save the $500 and buy HUO? With any luck, you 'll re-sell it in 6-12 months time and then buy another HUO with little/no additional cash outlay? Free pinball, Baby.

#11 2 years ago

Well obviously you're paying "extra" for a slightly used game to cover all the glue, dolls, and spray paint people have tacked on the goddamn thing straight out of the box

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Well obviously you're paying "extra" for a slightly used game to cover all the glue, dolls, and spray paint people have tacked on the goddamn thing straight out of the box

WELL SAID!

#13 2 years ago

Depends on the game. Wwe, mustang, avengers, xmen and GOT and probably ones I'm missing all fell and it paid to wait. Acdc, TWD, met, IM, tron all held well. I'm seeing gb pro in lower 4K, but premiums holding up. Buying nib you take a chance on the game bombing. That said, with the exception of mustang and wwe, even ones that lost value are still great games...yes, even avengers!

#15 2 years ago

Thats bc most of the time it will have some nice upgrades and u also save money if it's local... i perfer huo as i can see it before i buy and the upgrades are nice also since id do them anyway...

#16 2 years ago

Could it be the fact that stern pins are always increasing in price? If one bought a Met pro when they came out for $4k and now the price is $5k-$5.5k, how could they not hold their value?

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

i perfer huo as i can see it ...

Yeah If I can drive within an hour or 2 to pick up a basically brand new game & save some hundies I will do it.
    The idea of NIB isn;t very impressive to me.

#18 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah If I can drive within an hour or 2 to pick up a basically brand new game & save some hundies I will do it.
    The idea of NIB isn;t very impressive to me.

NIB is a very overrated experience. You never know for certain what awaits you.

#19 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bud:

Could it be the fact that stern pins are always increasing in price? If one bought a Met pro when they came out for $4k and now the price is $5k-$5.5k, how could they not hold their value?

That is also a big factor bc met use to be 4400-4600nib just a year ago ..and now its around 5k

#20 2 years ago

Not in New Zealand they are not. Since about KISS people seem to be getting very poor pricing on selling HUO games. A GoT premium that sold new for NZ$12.5k was not selling at 9k. Sort of puts a damper on buying new games unless you really plan on keeping it for a while.

#21 2 years ago

It seems like pins that had Lyman on the software team hold their value or even increase as time goes by. I think BM66 may prove to be the exception to this rule however. The pins that weren't coded by either Lyman or Dwight seem to be the one's that sink like a rock.

#22 2 years ago
    Quoted from bigd1979:

That is also a big factor bc met use to be 4400-4600nib just a year ago ..and now its around 5k

Yeah. Originally Met Pro was around $4500 shipped (2-3 years ago?). Met Pro LED was around $4800 shipped (1-2 years ago?). Now it's around $5k. The increasing of NIB prices has to be pulling up the aftermarket prices.

#23 2 years ago

I don't really consider used unless someone appears to need to sell. Why would I buy used to save $300 to $600 and have to go pick a game up when I can buy new and have it delivered to my door? I place no on value mods and enjoy setting up a game myself.

#24 2 years ago
    Quoted from edwinpblue:

Why would I buy used to save $300 to $600 and have to go pick a game up when I can buy new and have it delivered to my door?

To save $600 or not have to wait for shipping/when they get to it on the line. I don't put much value on a game being NIB.
    When I sold my GB it had very little plays and the line was back up FOR MONTHS with people waiting.

#25 2 years ago

My last 6 games purchases have been new and the other used floor model . I still own them all and part of the decision is delivery and set up. I think for the most part they held their value but even if they didn't I have owned and enjoyed playing them and didn't kill my back moving them, so to me it's no sweat.

At this point I'm getting to old , to pick up a game in someone's basement, find a vehicle to transport to my home since a pin won't fit in my SUV and then bring down the stairs and set up. Also, my wife doesn't want me or the kids to do this anymore, wants it hired out.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 65.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Gold Wings Repro Ramp Out of stock
    Vandelay Industries
    Apparel - Men
    Pinside Shop
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 55.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 7,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 89.00
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Metal-Mods
    $ 11.95
    $ 99.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Sales
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 119.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 13.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 109.99
    $ 29.95
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 6.00
    Electronics
    German-Pinball-Modular
    £ 20.00
    $ 49.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Chrome Candy
    $ 25.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Flashinstinct
    $ 89.99

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside