(Topic ID: 6712)

Current shop job "polishing" question

By The_Gorilla

12 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2662_(Large).JPG

#1 12 years ago

I have observed a friend using a fancy attachment on a cordless drill to clean and polish the PF. If I use the same cleaners, polishers and waxes, can I do a good enough to pretty good job using "elbow grease" or should I head to the hardware store quick?

#2 12 years ago

You can do a good job if the machine isn't too dirty. If the dirt is really heavy, a drill and pad is by far the fastest way of going about things.

I use a drill and pad the first time I shop a machine, but when I clean machines I just use good old elbow grease to clean, wax, and buff.

#3 12 years ago
    Quoted from The_Gorilla:

I have observed a friend using a fancy attachment on a cordless drill to clean and polish the PF. If I use the same cleaners, polishers and waxes, can I do a good enough to pretty good job using "elbow grease" or should I head to the hardware store quick?

this one

http://www.pinrestore.com/PolishingKits.html

or the one from treasure cove works wonders and saves a lot of time. I use them all the time.

#4 12 years ago

You can achieve the same results by hand, it just takes longer. If the playfield is completely stripped its a great way to get a beautiful shine. But, if you are just hitting the open areas I think you will find that even the 2" pads tend to sling the compund around quite a bit and requires taping up everything you want to keep clean. The blue painters tape works well. So either head on out to the hardware store or get those arms amoving gorillason. Or, put that new avatar to work.
    EDIT: I also use the kit from Pinrestore. Works perfect and good price!!

#5 12 years ago

I use the treasure cove if the playfield is dull.

#6 12 years ago

I'm prepping the SM to use a smaller car detailing set from Griots that I got as a gift awhile back - a three inch random orbital. What I like about using the orbital is the consistency of finish (over hand finishing) and less chance of burning the clear (over using a drill). I haven't used this one yet, but am familiar with using the bigger version and same Griots polish and wax for car finishing. I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

IMG_2662_(Large).JPGIMG_2662_(Large).JPG

#7 12 years ago
    Quoted from wizzardz:

I'm prepping the SM to use a smaller car detailing set from Griots that I got as a gift awhile back - a three inch random orbital. What I like about using the orbital is the consistency of finish (over hand finishing) and less chance of burning the clear (over using a drill). I haven't used this one yet, but am familiar with using the bigger version and same Griots polish and wax for car finishing. I'll be sure to take lots of pics.

Thats a great tip.

#8 12 years ago

Be very careful with power tools. They can go too far fast.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/current-shop-job-polishing-question and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.