Topic Stats

• 22 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Miguel351
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I was watching the PAPA.tv replay of the finals on TAF and was noticing that they changed a few things from typical PAPA tournament setup, the newest being that they have decided to disable the "Power" magnets since players were timing them out with the status report "cheat".

Is there a place to read up on the most current tournament setup for TAF? I want to try my hand and playing that same setup just for fun, but the PAPA website shows nothing(from what I've found) about the magnet disabling and am wondering if there are other rules changes, feature setups, and post modifications I should know about.

What I found odd was that they had the "Mansion Door from Swamp" adjustment set to "Yes". That seems odd to me since that's typically for when you have the game set to Easy.

#2 9 years ago

Not sure what else they recently changed, but here are PAPA's game notes for TAF as listed on their site:

Tournament Issues: Thing Flips will need to be dialed in after any moving or leveling of the game.

The locking mechanism can prevent players from earning skillshots in multiplayer games, which can create a competitive imbalance between the players involved.

Setup Notes: The difficulty of Addams Family is primarily determined by the consistency of the chair and swamp kickouts, the style of posts guarding the electric chair, and whether or not the right ramp is makeable from either flipper. Players should be capable of dead-bouncing the electric chair kickout from the left flipper to the right, and the swamp kickout from the right flipper to the left. While both of these feeds should always be physically possible, whether or not these feeds are actually controllable in this manner is up to the tournament director to decide.

Be sure to check ALL of the switches in front of the bookcase in switch test.

Lock Stealing: No
Preferred Software Revision:
Reasonable Competition Game: Yes

Source: http://papa.org/learning-center/director-resources/directors/game-notes/#a

#3 9 years ago

Yeah, I saw that. No mention of the magnets, though. That doesn't even mention the removal of both outposts, general game difficulty setting, or the removal of certain feature awards like the Bear Kick ramps to extra ball which is clearly gone in that video.

#4 9 years ago

The biggest difference for the PAPA TAF is you need to break the weldmelts on the scoop kickouts in order to achieve the most unpredictable chair and swamp kickouts I have ever experienced.

Other than that they had the fat inverted cone posts on bear kick/ vault and I think big yellows on chair.
Dead passes were deadly and bear kick was not makeable from right flipper except on the fly.

#5 9 years ago

I saw how a lot of people were having a hard time with the chair scoop. That was crazy. You'd think there'd be some sort of testing or standardizing of machines to make sure they play like they're supposed to. Then again, I like the randomness of different games behaving different ways. I think it makes the players learn that particular machine and helps separate the truly good from the just lucky.

My TAF plays pretty dang fast and both flippers are quite strong, but even then the bear kick isn't makeable from the right flipper. I don't think it's supposed to be. At least, not at 6.5º pitch.

#6 9 years ago

On mine, bear kick is easily makeable from right with a clean shot and it is pitched at 7.0.

Maybe rebuild your flips including new bushings? I love being able to backhand on TAF.

The one at PAPA was extremely random in kickouts. I was not a fan and should have bailed from even attempting to play it much earlier in the weekend.

#7 9 years ago

I thought the magnets ran for a bit, paused, then kicked off another run. When I had mine I always waited for the pause between magnet pulses for an unmolested shot at whatever...that's a cheat? I thought it was just patience.

#8 9 years ago

It's not a cheat, but Chryss Stephens timed it out every single time at a recent event and had a 30 min multiball or something like that...

Probably a good idea for an elite-level tourney.

As for the posts, they do that all of the time. TAF has some easy mode starts once you're dialed in. Making it tougher was the only way to make it tough but fair.

#9 9 years ago

I'd call it more of an exploit than a cheat, but either way it slows down tournament play, which is boring.

With that said: For me, outside of tournament play, TAF just wouldn't feel like TAF without The Power. Nothing like having it grab a kickout and throw it down an outlane to start multiball! It's not a hard game, but it sure loves to screw ya.

#10 9 years ago

Oh, I see. Wow, I would much rather the pulsing never stop than get rid of The Power. That's like playing whirlwind without the discs spinning.

BLEH!

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Maybe rebuild your flips including new bushings? I love being able to backhand on TAF.

Nah. They're just fine. I put new bushings in right when I got it, too. I can backhand it when the coils are still cold, but after a few games, the ball gets just up to the turn, then comes right back down. Besides, if it were any stronger, I wouldn't be able to backhand the Vault!

And yes, "exploit" was the word I was looking for not "cheat", thank you!

Well, for those that know, were there, or want to know, here's a list of the PAPA tournament specifics I could glean so far. Please add to it or correct it as you see fit and have proof of:

1. Out-posts removed
2. Mansion awarded in swamp
3. Power magnets disabled
4. No Bear Kick extra ball
5. Either ramp relights chair
6. Thicker post rubbers around chair and bear kick ramp
7. ????
8. ????

Thanks!

#12 9 years ago

when extra balls are off in WPC games it also turns off the EB / light EB at X (stern games give points for EB's when set to off)

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

Oh, I see. Wow, I would much rather the pulsing never stop than get rid of The Power. That's like playing Whirlwind without the discs spinning.
BLEH!

This is not possible in the current TAF software.

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Nah. They're just fine. I put new bushings in right when I got it, too. I can backhand it when the coils are still cold, but after a few games, the ball gets just up to the turn, then comes right back down. Besides, if it were any stronger, I wouldn't be able to backhand the Vault!
And yes, "exploit" was the word I was looking for not "cheat", thank you!
Well, for those that know, were there, or want to know, here's a list of the PAPA tournament specifics I could glean so far. Please add to it or correct it as you see fit and have proof of:
1. Out-posts removed
2. Mansion awarded in swamp
3. Power magnets disabled
4. No Bear Kick extra ball
5. Either ramp relights chair
6. Thicker post rubbers around chair and bear kick ramp
7. ????
8. ????
Thanks!

No extra balls at all on any machine, including TAF. Add bouncy rubbers and a very tight tilt and you've pretty much got it.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks.

I'm going to set it up this weekend. Should be interesting!

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

This is not possible in the current TAF software.

Yeah, that was kind of a backdoor nudge to the software gurus to write out the break in pulses in the code. It's just Addams aint the same game without the power.

You guys do a fantastic job, though. I enjoyed watching you and the other guys in the late rounds.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Thanks.
I'm going to set it up this weekend. Should be interesting!

As previously posted, a lot has to do with the chair kickout -- PAPA's wouldn't dead bounce over to a cradle.
And make sure your slings are tight and strong.

#18 9 years ago

Well, after setting things up according to the list I posted earlier, I've got to say: It's tough, but once you get used to it, it can be done. The no outlane posts is tough to deal with, but I can see how that mercifully shortens ball times. I think the highest score I got in the 7 or 8 games I played was 178M. Not bad for a novice!

I was getting pretty inconsistent kickouts from the swamp, so I took it out to clean and re-aim. I'm going to get added spot welds to the other side of the tabs from the factory ones to reinforce them, just in case.

Fun to play the same setup as the pros, though!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

Well, after setting things up according to the list I posted earlier, I've got to say: It's tough, but once you get used to it, it can be done. The no outlane posts is tough to deal with, but I can see how that mercifully shortens ball times. I think the highest score I got in the 7 or 8 games I played was 178M. Not bad for a novice!
I was getting pretty inconsistent kickouts from the swamp, so I took it out to clean and re-aim. I'm going to get added spot welds to the other side of the tabs from the factory ones to reinforce them, just in case.
Fun to play the same setup as the pros, though!

Key phrase there is: once you get used to it. In Finals, the most "getting used to it" you'll get is 2-3 games on it, spaced out between other games, and in 4-player setting.

But setting your pins up to PAPA A bank difficulty is a great way to improve your game!

#20 9 years ago

The main difference so far is getting used to the insta-drain when it hits the outlanes. There's pretty much zero chance at nudge-saving it. It does have me rethinking some of the mode theories, though, like what to go for and what not to even attempt. It's actually also helped me focus on trying to stack the Tunnel Hunt, Seance, and Thing Multiball. Not sure if this is advised strategy, but it's fun to try!

Not going for extra balls actually helps focus you on just racking up points.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

The main difference so far is getting used to the insta-drain when it hits the outlanes. There's pretty much zero chance at nudge-saving it. It does have me rethinking some of the mode theories, though, like what to go for and what not to even attempt. It's actually also helped me focus on trying to stack the Tunnel Hunt, Seance, and Thing Multiball. Not sure if this is advised strategy, but it's fun to try!
Not going for extra balls actually helps focus you on just racking up points.

Most of the people were just holding up the left thing flips flipper and not allowing the ball to even have a chance in the random left side outlane. Once you were able to avoid that area safely by doing that, you were in pretty good shape.

#22 9 years ago

I was already doing that on my machine before the PAPA setup. If I let it go down, it hits the lane guide and bounces out every time! (I already had my outposts set all the way up in the farthest open position)

Besides, it lets the ball drop so neatly on the left flipper that it's prime for a chair or ramp shot.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 180.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 1,059.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/current-papa-taf-setup and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.