(Topic ID: 249471)

Current/amp draw from pinball machine...

By MoSeS_1592

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 14 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Nikrox2
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_8249 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8252 (resized).jpg
    IMG_8251 (resized).jpg
    Star Trek (resized).JPG
    Demolition Man (resized).JPG
    WoZ (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

Are they all going to played at once?

I turned on six that are on a single 15A breaker. Three 90's, three +2010 pins, and two active subs (not doing anything). All LED'ed. Power draw was 800W according to Smartthings and a current sense on the pinball breaker in the fuse box. We usually do this every weekend but only play one pin at a time with the subs cranking with never an issue. But when company is over, two might be played at a time. Apologies...a little bit of a geeky comment: That wasn't what they refer to as 'VA' (apparent power), which is used when the current and voltage aren't entirely in phase - it was just 120V x current, so the numbers are a little misleading

If you are really interested, I can plot by using Initial States that monitors the pins real time (i.e. current vs. time). Pins are rather sporadic - meaning they don't draw a lot of current all the time. It really varies with coils firing which are short term events.

EM's are a different beast. I think the last EM I owned drew 500W (with LED's) just sitting there.

Any chance your smart plugs report current or wattage? Many are able to do that.

Sorry - I know your question was about the smart plug at 10A and my six pins are plugged into three outlets - hope this helps a bit tho. If interested, I can just run three pins on a single outlet if interested. When I did this, I was more worried about tripping the 15A breaker.

But as others mentioned - you might be loading the smart plug a bit and would likely grab some more, or find some rated for 15A. Not sure how much I trust the Chinese smart plugs and their ratings.

#9 4 years ago

geek post.

Adding to my post above, here's my power draw on 6 pins in attract mode and the two subs. You can even spot when I turned each one on. 794W total (not 'VA').
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from QuietEarp:

I think your issue would be the fact that, if I am understanding it correctly, you would turn on groups of machines at the same time on a 10 amp circuit. The start up draw would probably all happen at the same time which could be problematic.
    3 pins isn't too many though so I would think you would just need to quantify the current drawn upon start up.

Good point Earp.

#19 4 years ago
    Quoted from MoSeS_1592:

Thanks!!! This was all very useful...

And I bet you were initially looking for a simple answer.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbwalker.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/current-amp-draw-from-pinball-machine?tu=mbwalker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.