(Topic ID: 327167)

Curious, who is actually buying the overpriced turds?

By Irishbastard

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinszzz (resized).jpg
    5093BF1D-6E2C-4519-884D-4765A14CB9C6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 8.58.14 PM (resized).png
    AEE42157-BE77-4EC7-AD3A-FF8A9B702534 (resized).png
    AFFB132F-593F-4D0B-8EEE-B54E7C45D0E8 (resized).png
    44C8EF7F-E31E-4E9F-A0A8-3D5888B89D3C (resized).jpeg
    E849E17E-4665-4FCF-8796-058A42230814 (resized).jpeg
    16705964276975393945005793076343_542308561543519 (resized).jpg
    ACDB6651-84BE-4870-98A2-920C80C35B39 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from cookpins:

I bought a TFTC in the last year for somewhere in between 3-5k. It was my second machine, first more modern with a DMD. I love the theme. It’s better to me then any new game theme and we probably will never see it again.

I watched the market for a long while before buying. They were rarely put up for sale. I reached out unsolicited to many Pinsiders with it in their collection, and none wanted to sell for same reason I wanted it.

I hate that game. It's awful to me. Theme means nothing to me. If it had a different theme like say Monster Trucks, Wrestling, or GIJoe, would you still consider it to be a well designed and fun game? After I had one for 3 years I realized I tricked myself into thinking that it was actually fun.

BTTF, TFTC, Gilligan's Island, Hurricane... all similar awfulness to me. Only modern games that come close to being as bad are maybe WNBJM, Celts, Comic Carnival or Thunderbirds. All those are a chore to play too. I suppose if those 8 mentioned games were lined up in perfect working order I would actually play TFTC so, it at least has that going for it.

I realize a lot of people love it. That's great. It would be even harder to find great, under-priced, older games if everyone had the same tastes for well designed machines.

#58 1 year ago
    Quoted from Gunnut40:

I rejected an offer for my Twister for 4k. I told myself I would take an offer that high. I couldn’t make myself do it.

I mean, it played really good and was actually the highlight of the show for me... Being 100% honest... it played a lot better than the new Bond. I honestly think that it could be better than Starship Troopers and that game is great. My "can't say no" price for games I bring to shows now is up very high... But, I realized that there are very few machines that are irreplaceable these days... and if you have the knowledge and resources, you can recreate anything including a perfectly playing game you own. It's especially true since the new games are so much, it helps free up those junky 2K and 4K titles that I can't seem to live without. LOL.

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from chubtoad13:

There isn’t a single game that was selling for $500 3 years ago that is selling for $5k now.
    Prove me wrong

Agreed. But PinRetail made some good points. I saw a game sell last weekend at a show for way more than it typically sells. The actual breakdown is more like the 2K retail price 3 years ago is 4K+ now. Titles that have no business selling for 5K actually do sell for that nearly every day now. Fish Tales, BTTF, Baywatch, Sopranos, Rollercoaster Tycoon, T3, to name some. Are they worth it? Not to me but like PinRetail said, “new pinball customers” are not looking so carefully at the price any more. Reliability and service are actually a lot more important over pinball rules, code, design, or depth. Any working, pretty, reliable machine is worth a lot more than it was 4 years ago. Title doesn’t matter so much unless you are a pinball nerd from 5+ years back.

#93 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

They were $500-$800 pins on Craigslist as little as two years ago. People could not give them away.

Games like that still are around, just have to network and look a little harder. I bought a couple last year and this year, nothing too crazy. In 2009 I think I bought and sold 22 machines. If it didn’t work, it was 500 or less no matter the title!

2 weeks later
    #137 1 year ago

It's the only game you own, of course it's a great game...

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider snyper2099.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curious-who-is-actually-buying-the-overpriced-turds?tu=snyper2099 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.