(Topic ID: 327167)

Curious, who is actually buying the overpriced turds?

By Irishbastard

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinszzz (resized).jpg
    5093BF1D-6E2C-4519-884D-4765A14CB9C6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 8.58.14 PM (resized).png
    AEE42157-BE77-4EC7-AD3A-FF8A9B702534 (resized).png
    AFFB132F-593F-4D0B-8EEE-B54E7C45D0E8 (resized).png
    44C8EF7F-E31E-4E9F-A0A8-3D5888B89D3C (resized).jpeg
    E849E17E-4665-4FCF-8796-058A42230814 (resized).jpeg
    16705964276975393945005793076343_542308561543519 (resized).jpg
    ACDB6651-84BE-4870-98A2-920C80C35B39 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

So, I keep seeing pins posted for "above and beyond" prices in my local area FS forum and I'm curious, who buys these things? Yes, I understand prices are high, like everything else, but some of these titles couldn't sell for $500 just a few years ago, but now are listed at 10X that? Seriously? Are people like; "Hmm, hated this at $500 but $5k, sold!" Just trying to understand this stupidity....
    Disclaimer: This is not a Price thread, but more so a thread trying to understand the current ignorant stupidity....

Have some title examples?

Some machines have had code updates, various media exposure (including inclusion in popular virtual pinballs), themes have come around, players have discovered the machine etc.

Also looking for confirmed sales, not just weird asks on classifieds.

#24 1 year ago

Rescue 911, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon, Etc...then More desirable games like High Speed, HS II Getaway, etc etc.

Can't say I've seen demand at all for Rescue911 or LW3 in my region.. they just sit. certainly, there is a price, where just the feature of having a DMD demands some kind of value threshold for many.

Some Sega titles, Baywatch etc.. certainly do seem to be on the radar of more buyers lately.

I find these are all so subjective tho. At times, there are people who will really want something like Rescue 911 because the service theme is important to them.... so if you happen to list high, at that time.. sure, you probably have a sale. At the same time, is your average pinball buyer going to snap it up? no.. it will likely sit for some time, until the right buyer comes along, or if the price is low enough for someone to just snap it up.

This pretty much defines the C tier machines if you will..

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Your avatar brings Tales from the Crypts to mind. They were sub-3k before the pandemic, and now they are more like 5k. So basically double what they were 3 years ago.
    Not the 10x that the OP was talking about though, but still a huge increase. I think part of it is that newer pinball people don’t have as many prejudices as old hands. There used to be a very large segment of collectors that thought Data East games were junk, and that kept their prices down. Greener pinball collectors figured out that games like Tales from the Crypt and Last Action Hero are actually a ton of fun. And so they wanted them.

IDK.. so many factors with pricing... not sure if any hard values can be said about the handful of TFTC the come up for sale.. Some DE titles have great licenses which will always have some desirability.. does not mean they will be a 5k insta-sell.. but for sure, if someone wants that theme, and the transportation of the machine is within their means.. then sure.

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This sure seems a lot like a price thread. It’s a thread bitching about prices and trying to find a culprit, so that maybe we can crack the code and prices will become “realistic” again, whatever that means.
    Saying it isn’t a price thread doesn’t make it not a price thread.

I think OP is thinking of particular titles.

Rescue 911, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon, Etc...then More desirable games like High Speed, HS II Getaway, etc etc.

Not sure if Baywatch was ever particularly 'not' desirable?.. maybe before my time.. Rescue and LW3 I've never known and still do not see them command high list values...

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I do think it is a valid question, some pins are going for crazy prices.
    $5k+ for an Eight Ball? They were $500-$800 pins on Craigslist as little as two years ago. People could not give them away.

Maybe in your region you had a surplus floating around... It has always been in demand around me in bc, Canada... One of the more nostalgic pins people look for I have found... also just a really great player. Rules are quite conducive for competition.

Eight ball, the fonz pin.. .. More synonymous with happy days than nip it. Lol.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider koji.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curious-who-is-actually-buying-the-overpriced-turds?tu=koji and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.