(Topic ID: 327167)

Curious, who is actually buying the overpriced turds?

By Irishbastard

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pinszzz (resized).jpg
    5093BF1D-6E2C-4519-884D-4765A14CB9C6 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot 2022-12-09 at 8.58.14 PM (resized).png
    AEE42157-BE77-4EC7-AD3A-FF8A9B702534 (resized).png
    AFFB132F-593F-4D0B-8EEE-B54E7C45D0E8 (resized).png
    44C8EF7F-E31E-4E9F-A0A8-3D5888B89D3C (resized).jpeg
    E849E17E-4665-4FCF-8796-058A42230814 (resized).jpeg
    16705964276975393945005793076343_542308561543519 (resized).jpg
    ACDB6651-84BE-4870-98A2-920C80C35B39 (resized).jpeg
    There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 1 year ago

So, I keep seeing pins posted for "above and beyond" prices in my local area FS forum and I'm curious, who buys these things? Yes, I understand prices are high, like everything else, but some of these titles couldn't sell for $500 just a few years ago, but now are listed at 10X that? Seriously? Are people like; "Hmm, hated this at $500 but $5k, sold!" Just trying to understand this stupidity....

Disclaimer: This is not a Price thread, but more so a thread trying to understand the current ignorant stupidity....

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Irishbastard:

So, I keep seeing pins posted for "above and beyond" prices in my local area FS forum and I'm curious, who buys these things? Yes, I understand prices are high, like everything else, but some of these titles couldn't sell for $500 just a few years ago, but now are listed at 10X that? Seriously? Are people like; "Hmm, hated this at $500 but $5k, sold!" Just trying to understand this stupidity....
    Disclaimer: This is not a Price thread, but more so a thread trying to understand the current ignorant stupidity....

Newbies, greenies, covidians*.

Anyone who got into the hobby in 2020 and had no knowledge in realistic pricing. They paid whatever to purchase machines. The problem was A LOT of people were stuck at home, so a lot of people had money sitting around and paid for entertainment.
    Here we are.

Now those greenies are getting that rough wake-up call and pricing is starting to settle back in reality. Some people are still coping and trying to recoup some of their losses from overpaying out the ass.

*Covidian denotes the specific time period during covid and is NOT political

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

Newbies, greenies, covidians*.
    Anyone who got into the hobby in 2020 and had no knowledge in realistic pricing. They paid whatever to purchase machines. The problem was A LOT of people were stuck at home, so a lot of people had money sitting around and paid for entertainment.
    Here we are.
    Now those greenies are getting that rough wake-up call and pricing is starting to settle back in reality. Some people are still coping and trying to recoup some of their losses from overpaying out the ass.
    *Covidian denotes the specific time period during covid and is NOT political

100% agree...And I see one already downvoted me lol

#4 1 year ago

I do not see any kind of slow down regarding the demand for machines. The only pricing that I have seen come back down would be the pricing for new Stern machines that are still being produced. Once they announce that they will be produced again, the prices fall until they are sold out; then the prices increase once again. Since Stern has raised their prices again; I would not expect prices to come down anytime soon. I believe that there will be an increase in prices across the board because of the new game price increases. Even Jersey Jack has increased the price of their lowest priced games from the $8000 price range when Guns N Roses was released to no $12,000 for the lowest tear Toy Story. That is a 50% increase in price for their lowest model in just 1 year... It is much harder to find a machine to shop and repair at the right price in order to leave enough margin make a profit than it is to sell the machines.

#5 1 year ago
    Quoted from Manny10:

I do not see any kind of slow down regarding the demand for machines. The only pricing that I have seen come back down would be the pricing for new Stern machines that are still being produced. Once they announce that they will be produced again, the prices fall until they are sold out; then the prices increase once again. Since Stern has raised their prices again; I would not expect prices to come down anytime soon. I believe that there will be an increase in prices across the board because of the new game price increases. Even Jersey Jack has increased the price of their lowest priced games from the $8000 price range when Guns N Roses was released to no $12,000 for the lowest tear Toy Story. That is a 50% increase in price for their lowest model in just 1 year... It is much harder to find a machine to shop and repair at the right price in order to leave enough margin make a profit than it is to sell the machines.

I'm not speaking in regards to new machines, as I stated, older machines that no one wanted anything to do with just a few years ago, which are now being listed at "stupid" prices. I had a few of these machines and could not sell them at $500-$700, yet now they are listed at $5k+ and no one bats an eye. So, is it just "Supply and demand"? Or have tastes changed?

Disclaimer: I'm not speaking of 10+ years ago, I'm speaking of 3ish years ago or less...

#6 1 year ago

Have some title examples?

Some machines have had code updates, various media exposure (including inclusion in popular virtual pinballs), themes have come around, players have discovered the machine etc.

Also looking for confirmed sales, not just weird asks on classifieds.

#7 1 year ago

How do you know these listed machines are actually selling for the asked price?

#8 1 year ago

I think that captains auction ushered in a whole new era of stupidity. People paid high prices for games they couldn’t inspect, and took it on the chin with fees and shipping. Now they expect to make it back and then some as the market is correcting.

#9 1 year ago

you have been here 11 years and you only just noticed pinflation?

#10 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

Some machines have had code updates, various media exposure (including inclusion in popular virtual pinballs), themes have come around, players have discovered the machine etc.

Your avatar brings Tales from the Crypts to mind. They were sub-3k before the pandemic, and now they are more like 5k. So basically double what they were 3 years ago.

Not the 10x that the OP was talking about though, but still a huge increase. I think part of it is that newer pinball people don’t have as many prejudices as old hands. There used to be a very large segment of collectors that thought Data East games were junk, and that kept their prices down. Greener pinball collectors figured out that games like Tales from the Crypt and Last Action Hero are actually a ton of fun. And so they wanted them.

#11 1 year ago
    Quoted from koji:

Rescue 911, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon, Etc...then More desirable games like High Speed, HS II Getaway, etc etc.

#12 1 year ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

you have been here 11 years and you only just noticed pinflation?

My main point was games no one wanted before..

#13 1 year ago
    Quoted from jackd104:

How do you know these listed machines are actually selling for the asked price?

I hope they are not selling for these prices....I literally couldn't give my Rescue 911 away yet when I see one listed at a stupid price, everyone chimes in "great price" etc...

#14 1 year ago

I am grumpy and mad too! What about that!?

Whew - got that out

#15 1 year ago

I guess there's a sucker born everyday as they say lol

#16 1 year ago
    Quoted from OGpinball:

I am grumpy and mad too! What about that!?
    Whew - got that out

Not "grumpy or mad" about anything, just trying to understand bud.

#17 1 year ago

Guys I need to know more about where I could have gotten $500 pinballs

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from PanzerKraken:

2k for a WPC was really pushing it on price about 10 years ago.

GLORY DAYS

#19 1 year ago

Well, if you have a DeLorean and a crazy old scientist...88mph is the way to go.

#20 1 year ago

Sure, but nobody wants to sell their 'A" list games. even "B" list games are hard to come by
    So buyers are left with "C" list titles to choose from, many do not care how good/bad they are, they just want a pinball machine. So the price of a Hurricane just goes up and up

#21 1 year ago

Demand. Rising tide lifts all boats they say - even the Baby Ruth turds in this market.

#22 1 year ago

There was a time and seems like not long ago people were literally throwing away pinball machines, desired titles by today’s standards too.

#23 1 year ago

All this turd talk has me curious.

What's a thunderbirds going for these days?

#24 1 year ago

Rescue 911, Baywatch, Lethal Weapon, Etc...then More desirable games like High Speed, HS II Getaway, etc etc.

Can't say I've seen demand at all for Rescue911 or LW3 in my region.. they just sit. certainly, there is a price, where just the feature of having a DMD demands some kind of value threshold for many.

Some Sega titles, Baywatch etc.. certainly do seem to be on the radar of more buyers lately.

I find these are all so subjective tho. At times, there are people who will really want something like Rescue 911 because the service theme is important to them.... so if you happen to list high, at that time.. sure, you probably have a sale. At the same time, is your average pinball buyer going to snap it up? no.. it will likely sit for some time, until the right buyer comes along, or if the price is low enough for someone to just snap it up.

This pretty much defines the C tier machines if you will..

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

All this turd talk has me curious.

Some turds cannot be polished.

#26 1 year ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

The price you have to pay someone to take it off your hands just keeps going up.

#27 1 year ago

This hobby has gone bonkers, nucken futs.

#28 1 year ago

Paging CrazyLevi please take care of this….

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from DakotaMike:

Your avatar brings Tales from the Crypts to mind. They were sub-3k before the pandemic, and now they are more like 5k. So basically double what they were 3 years ago.
    Not the 10x that the OP was talking about though, but still a huge increase. I think part of it is that newer pinball people don’t have as many prejudices as old hands. There used to be a very large segment of collectors that thought Data East games were junk, and that kept their prices down. Greener pinball collectors figured out that games like Tales from the Crypt and Last Action Hero are actually a ton of fun. And so they wanted them.

IDK.. so many factors with pricing... not sure if any hard values can be said about the handful of TFTC the come up for sale.. Some DE titles have great licenses which will always have some desirability.. does not mean they will be a 5k insta-sell.. but for sure, if someone wants that theme, and the transportation of the machine is within their means.. then sure.

#30 1 year ago

This is not a Price thread, but more so a thread trying to understand the current ignorant stupidity....

This sure seems a lot like a price thread. It’s a thread bitching about prices and trying to find a culprit, so that maybe we can crack the code and prices will become “realistic” again, whatever that means.

Saying it isn’t a price thread doesn’t make it not a price thread.

#31 1 year ago

Nobody wanted data east games. Then prices and scarcity on WPC games exploded, so suddenly, folks (not all of them noobs or morons) decided, hey, maybe Last Action Hero wasn’t so bad.

Rinse and Repeat. Now, shitty games like LAH go for MUCH more than they used to, and these games started to become rarer.

It was only a matter of time before the same thing filtered down to the true dregs of 90s pinball, Premier games.

Where you once could get a Waterworld for $800, now you should be prepared to spend $2500.

This isn’t exactly rocket science. But I digress, since this isn’t a “price thread” I probably shouldn’t be talking about this stuff.

#32 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:This sure seems a lot like a price thread. It’s a thread bitching about prices and trying to find a culprit, so that maybe we can crack the code and prices will become “realistic” again, whatever that means.

And...there you are. I actually added the disclaimer for your benefit, O well...carry on..

#33 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This sure seems a lot like a price thread. It’s a thread bitching about prices and trying to find a culprit, so that maybe we can crack the code and prices will become “realistic” again, whatever that means.

I think OP is thinking of particular titles.

Not sure if Baywatch was ever particularly 'not' desirable?.. maybe before my time.. Rescue and LW3 I've never known and still do not see them command high list values...

#34 1 year ago

Yeah the disclaimer didn’t actually make a thread bitching about prices not a price thread. Nice try though!

#35 1 year ago

I’m consistently blown away at the prices Black Rose pulls these days. When I sold my fully working players condition game back in like 2006, it took forever to get $600 for it. Everyone hated the game!

#36 1 year ago

Where is the dude that had the Pinside handle Blackrose?
    I miss him. Used to see him at auctions also.

#37 1 year ago
    Quoted from play_pinball:

I’m consistently blown away at the prices Black Rose pulls these days. When I sold my fully working players condition game back in like 2006, it took forever to get $600 for it. Everyone hated the game!

I still hate the game.

#38 1 year ago
    Quoted from mikeflan:

I still hate the game.

Yeah, it still sucks ass.

But, a rising tide raises all boats.

And, a rising tide raises all turds in the bowl.

And there you have an answer to the question posed in this not a price thread.

#39 1 year ago

I love these price threads! Always gives me a chuckle when I get to play some of these "turds" at an expo or something and thinking about how crapped on they are. Not much different than shitty cars you are forced to drive in high school. Nostalgia

#40 1 year ago

Move to New England. LW3 is STILL selling sub 3k
    Same with Breakshot. Personally, as an owner, I’m happy because I think just LW3 and Breakshot ALONE are a lot of value and were underpriced.
    Tales from the Crypt is another fantastic game.

You can still find those all for 2018 prices.

I have NEVER seen a Rescue 911 sell fast. Show me a single Rescue 911 owner who didn’t have to work for a buyer!

HUGE factor that’s always overlooked: player’s condition games are disappearing. There is a finite number of machines, and we have seen 20+ years of serious collecting and restoring eating through all the project games.

We are reaching that tipping point were “cheap projects” are rarities and a majority of the market is restored/HQ games.

#41 1 year ago

Same with Breakshot. Personally, as an owner, I’m happy because I think just LW3 and Breakshot ALONE are a lot of value and were underpriced.
    Tales from the Crypt is another fantastic game.
    You can still find those all for 2018 prices.
    I have NEVER seen a Rescue 911 sell fast. Show me a single Rescue 911 owner who didn’t have to work for a buyer!
    HUGE factor that’s always overlooked: player’s condition games are disappearing. There is a finite number of machines, and we have seen 20+ years of serious collecting and restoring eating through all the project games.
    We are reaching that tipping point were “cheap projects” are rarities and a majority of the market is restored/HQ games.

I would never move there, I live there unfortunately lol

#42 1 year ago

I have a minty MET RC I’ll let go for 15k

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from stuckey_t:

I love these price threads! Always gives me a chuckle when I get to play some of these "turds" at an expo or something and thinking about how crapped on they are. Not much different than shitty cars you are forced to drive in high school. Nostalgia

Had a Mustang GT in high School, was cool and fast, but broke daily....and for some reason I want to buy another these days...damn nostalgia

#44 1 year ago

Had a Mustang GT in high School, was cool and fast, but broke daily....and for some reason I want to buy another these days...damn nostalgia

ACDB6651-84BE-4870-98A2-920C80C35B39 (resized).jpegACDB6651-84BE-4870-98A2-920C80C35B39 (resized).jpeg
    #45 1 year ago

If anyone wants to buy some overpriced turds, I have a couple. And more showing up every day.

#46 1 year ago

I bought a TFTC in the last year for somewhere in between 3-5k. It was my second machine, first more modern with a DMD. I love the theme. It’s better to me then any new game theme and we probably will never see it again.

I watched the market for a long while before buying. They were rarely put up for sale. I reached out unsolicited to many Pinsiders with it in their collection, and none wanted to sell for same reason I wanted it.

#47 1 year ago

Honestly, I think some of it has to do with the availability of hard tops, new boards, stencil kits, and new parts that just were not available even a few years ago. People are restoring more and more pins, and there are more people into it. How many LEDs is Comet selling this year? How many new boards, hardtops, overlays, clear coats, stencil jobs, new ramps are getting poured into old machines? How many people are getting into tournaments and suddenly have to learn on older machines, and get an appreciation for them. As to the rise in the price of "entry level machines", the same titles have been pushed as entry level the entire time I've been in the hobby (like 4 years but still). There are only so many of these to go around. My first pin 4 years ago was a World Cup Soccer. There are more people after that pin now, and the examples of that title I see on that market are nicer than they were 4 years ago because people have fixed them up so much.

As an aside, on the super cheap pinball machines I usually find 1 or so a year. Picked up a Time Zone for $50 in October. When I see them at estate sales I always give my card/contact info to the lady running them and tell them I'll haul it out if no-one buys it, and know how to repair/restore them. Sold it cheap to another pinsider after seeing I was in over my head for $200. He had it up and running in under a day, and 100% by the end of the week. Got a free Space Shuttle a couple of years ago after showing up to a pin trade off of craigslist. Saw a pinball leg under a tarp while bringing the EM I bought out to the car. That pin is literally in a museum now. I couldn't fix it up and it went through 4 pinsiders to get there, but it's in the Roanoke Pinball Museum. You'd be amazed what things go for the last few hours of a pinball show... well below pinside prices.

Baywatch is on my radar. I classify it as a "bang for your buck" machine. Terrible theme IMO, but I always enjoyed it as shows.

#48 1 year ago

From my experience, EM's are junk. I charge a minimum of $250.00 to remove these machines. Ballys have significantly dropped in value. Ex. Mata Hari used to bring in mid 2's, now around 1K. Most machines sit today when listed at Banning prices. Remember the Pinside average is a rolling average.

#49 1 year ago

There is no such thing as an overpriced turd.

Every pinball that exists is a machine that can be important to someone.

I may not personally like some pinball machines. My customers do.

To be plain, and honest...

Something will sell for what someone is willing to pay for it.

Overpriced doesn't enter in to the buying and selling.

You may find something overpriced, but here is what I'm seeing.

We bought our house in Charlotte for $160k about ten years ago. Now that house is getting offers north of $500k.

If your house is worth half a million dollars, it might make sense to pay ten thousand for a piece of furniture.

And a lot of the homes I'm delivering to are three quarter of a million to ten million dollar homes. Putting six or ten pinballs in a game room is just part of the way they want to live.

I've been to the people's homes where they have a LOT more than ten pinballs, but those people are generally not my customers (I focus on providing a reliable product that works great and then I offer delivery, setup, warranty, and home service... big buyers generally have already made arrangements for their collections.)

We just got new guidance from Stern. New Premium pinballs MSRP is $9699.00. With sales tax in North Carolina all new (and old new out of the box machines still on my sales floor) will be over $10,000.00.

Get your head around this:

New pinballs are over $10,000.00.

Then the pricing of lesser machines, even machines that I personally don't find valuable starts making a weird kind of sense.

#50 1 year ago

Which is baffling to me; Data East's second highest selling pin, a successful franchise, Chad code and it languishes as a $3000 or less pin.

High Speed? Played it for 3 days and decided I'd be perfectly happy to never play it again.

There are 138 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curious-who-is-actually-buying-the-overpriced-turds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.