(Topic ID: 120837)

Curious is there anyone in Ca that does EM cabinet restore?

By bellbrand

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by MikeO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
20141228_152218.jpg
20130802_084117.jpg
20131009_203951.jpg
20130804_062046.jpg
20130802_084035 (2).jpg
IMG_7673.JPG
IMG_7672.JPG
IMG_7526.JPG
#1 9 years ago

I have a cabinet issue on a Gottlieb Atlantis that needs to be repaired.

#2 9 years ago

There is a group called Pinball Revival up in Novato. They are off of the Bel Marin Keys exit on 101. When I visited their shop they had nothing but EM's in their restoration queue.

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from EEE:

There is a group called Pinball Revival up in Novato. They are off of the Bel Marin Keys exit on 101. When I visited their shop they had nothing but EM's in their restoration queue.

I don't know where that is? Northern CA?

#4 9 years ago

Anyone is So Cal?

#5 9 years ago

Herb Silvers at Fabulous Fantasies also does restoration. But he isn't cheap. But you might want to talk to him if its only the bottom board replacement.

Just don't let him talk you into Chroming everything metal on your game!!!

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from CactusJack:

Herb Silvers at Fabulous Fantasies also does restoration. But he isn't cheap. But you might want to talk to him if its only the bottom board replacement.
Just don't let him talk you into Chroming everything metal on your game!!!

I am not a fan of Herb.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I am not a fan of Herb.

Not everyone is!

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

I am not a fan of Herb.

Herb has fans?

Seriously, what you got against him?

#9 9 years ago

It's a long story and a long time ago I am sure things have changed over there.

#10 9 years ago

If youre looking for repaint, we can do it... we have done about 6 games to date using either premade stencils or making the stencils ourselves... we can replicate the speckle if you need/want us to..

IMG_7526.JPGIMG_7526.JPG

IMG_7672.JPGIMG_7672.JPGIMG_7673.JPGIMG_7673.JPG

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

We can do it... we have done about 6 games to date using either premade stencils or making the stencils ourselves... we can replicate the speckle if you need/want us to..

She's talking about physical repair, not painting, or at least not just painting.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

She's talking about physical repair, not painting, or at least not just painting.

Hopefully not a repaint on that nice original!

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Hopefully not a repaint on that nice original!

god, i hope not... please please please do not repaint that cabinet...

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

If youre looking for repaint, we can do it... we have done about 6 games to date using either premade stencils or making the stencils ourselves... we can replicate the speckle if you need/want us to..
IMG_7526.JPG (Click image to enlarge)
IMG_7672.JPG (Click image to enlarge)IMG_7673.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

Want to congratulate you on a great job with the webbing and spatter. Nice to see a repaint with webbing that doesn't look like a bowl of spaghetti. Great job.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from ccotenj:

god, i hope not... please please please do not repaint that cabinet...

You guys it's not that great.. Really the pics aren't showing the true nature of the cab.

#16 9 years ago

iwantansi nice job just the right amount of over spray

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

You guys it's not that great.. Really the pics aren't showing the true nature of the cab.

There are people who love the original paint, flaking and chipped and yellowed and all. And people who just want a clean game that looks factory fresh. Neither are wrong, they just don't always agree.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

It might not look new but overall from what I can see looks pretty good. the bottom needs to be replaced. that isn't an easy job for a newbie, but doable with some help
here is one that wasn't very nice to compare to what you have!!

20130802_084035 (2).jpg20130802_084035 (2).jpg 20130802_084117.jpg20130802_084117.jpg 20130804_062046.jpg20130804_062046.jpg 20131009_203951.jpg20131009_203951.jpg
#19 9 years ago

Well I know that they will most likely be reproducing the playfield so why would you drop a beautiful playfield into a non restored cab that doesn't make sense.

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from bellbrand:

Well I know that they will most likely be reproducing the playfield so why would you drop a beautiful playfield into a non restored cab that doesn't make sense.

I agree if the cabinet is pretty bad but if it only has minor damage nothing that a little touch up wouldn't hide I would leave it alone. I personally like a nice restored game, but I try to find those diamonds in the rough so repaints are almost a common thing for me.

to me they are a toy not a museum piece.

#21 9 years ago

Originals are nice but a cabinet done correctly and a new playfield they look nice!20141228_152218.jpg20141228_152218.jpg

#22 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

I agree if the cabinet is pretty bad but if it only has minor damage nothing that a little touch up wouldn't hide I would leave it alone. I personally like a nice restored game, but I try to find those diamonds in the rough so repaints are almost a common thing for me.
to me they are a toy not a museum piece.

Wouldn't touch ups look worse than a total repaint?

#23 9 years ago

if you can match the color it should not stand out. the larger the touch up spot is the harder it is to blend.
a repaint will always look better imo because there isn't a color match/ blend issue

#24 9 years ago

Lisa I haven't seen your game in person, but from the pics you sent me you should either leave it alone, or complete repaint it. There's no way touchups are going to work on that.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Lisa I haven't seen your game in person, but from the pics you sent me you should either leave it alone, or complete repaint it. There's no way touchups are going to work on that.

I agree
The only thing that bugs me really is the front part of the head

image.jpgimage.jpg
#26 9 years ago

Oh and the broken bottom lol

#27 9 years ago

match the brown from the sides and tape off the head and paint it.
it looks black or is it just the pic?

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from boilerman:

match the brown from the sides and tape off the head and paint it.
it looks black or is it just the pic?

No it's brown but it would need to be sanded down I don't see how you could just paint it.

#30 9 years ago

you may need to first add some bondo or glaze to build up the chipped portions and create a nice edge again (if the wood itself is chipped, and not just flaked paint). Then after sanding and feathering that in, do the touch up.

1 week later
#31 9 years ago

If you want to see a good example of how your bottom panel could be repaired post 6 in this thread shows very well what is involved. With even fair woodworking skills this can be accomplished.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gottlieb-spin-out-diary-of-a-resto#post-2322266

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lincoln, MI
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curious-is-there-anyone-in-ca-that-does-em-cabinet-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.