(Topic ID: 37987)

Curious how the EM Circuit breaker works.

By CodyF

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by Chrisbee
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I'm curious how the self resetting circuit breaker from my Bally Air Aces works. I'm not even sure there is one, but it acts as if there is.

I had a shorted solenoid on the right flipper so that whenever I pressed it the whole machine would just hard shut down. It would reset itself when I press the left flipper, just as if I had freshly powered on the machine. When I initially power on the machine from the switch, nothing happens either. I have to press the left flipper to get the machine to power up from that state as well.

I'm just curious about the mechanism they are using as a circuit breaker to shut the whole rig down when too much current is pulled. I don't have my manual yet so I can't look in there, and frankly I'm not aware of how they would have even done this on an EM machine, since all of my training has been with modern electronics

#2 11 years ago

If there is a self resetting circuit breaker (and I am not sure there is);

A self resetting circuit breaker has a bi-metalic strip inside it. When current exceeds the limit, the bi-metalic strip heat and deflects. This trips the breaker. When the bi-metalic strip cools, the breaker resets.

(a bi-metalic strip consists of two different metals bonded together. The two metals expand at different rates when heated and this different expansion causes the strip to bend)

#3 11 years ago

There wouldn't be a factory installed circuit breaker in your machine. My guess is your short is somehow releasing the hold relay essentially cutting power to the game. Pressing the left flipper reinstates power to the machine through the hold relay. A lot of Ems have the left flipper button do this. You flip the power switch on and have to hit the left flipper or start a game to power the machine up.
Alex

#4 11 years ago

Sometimes if your Lock relay is dirty or makes poor contact, drawing heavy current elsewhere can cause it to lose it's lock. This would present in the way you describe.

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

My guess is your short is somehow releasing the hold relay essentially cutting power to the game.

I bet you're right, That helps a bunch. Just acts as an impromptu circuit breaker I suppose. Do you know what the purpose of the lock relay is? Why wouldn't I just want to force it on and keep it there forever?

#6 11 years ago

Lock or hold relays release when a player tilts the machine. Renergize when another credit is used. There may be other reasons, but that seems like a good reason to have it function properly.

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from CodyF:

When I initially power on the machine from the switch, nothing happens either. I have to press the left flipper to get the machine to power up from that state as well.

This is normal. Also if there are credits on the machine or it is set to free play pushing the credit button should turn it on.

#8 11 years ago

Check out these sites, they should help you out with your understanding of em pinball machines. http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from bigbadford91:

Check out these sites

Thanks, I'll read them front to back. I come from and have studied SS electronics in general, so all these EM methods are new to me

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from CodyF:

I bet you're right, That helps a bunch. Just acts as an impromptu circuit breaker I suppose. Do you know what the purpose of the lock relay is? Why wouldn't I just want to force it on and keep it there forever?

You actually can adjust the switches in the lock or hold relay to be permanently engaged. That way you would turn the power on and the machine would be "on" right away. It's a hack that you can do if you have a smoked hold relay coil. I think most prefer keeping it operating as originally intended though.
Alex

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from CodyF:

Thanks, I'll read them front to back. I come from and have studied SS electronics in general, so all these EM methods are new to me

Although it's a little confusing to work through sometimes, EM games are mostly just a lot of AND and OR gates. Once you realize that, following through the logic is pretty much the same as for modern digital electronics.

#12 11 years ago
Quoted from CodyF:

Do you know what the purpose of the lock relay is?

On most Bally and William games, it does two things.
One de- energise the game over trip RE and Two turns the GI lights on.

there are many thread on this site about it, just search lock RE.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curious-how-the-em-circuit-breaker-works and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.