Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by DCRand
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

When I play my Card Whiz and a ball drains between the flippers it fairly often bounces back into play. I choose to then let it intentionally drain rather than continue playing that ball. I suppose if I was feeding the machine quarters there'd be no hesitation...keep banging away. I'm curious how others handle this moral dilemma?

#2 4 years ago

If it bounces back, no matter what machine, it’s fair play. Keep going!

#5 4 years ago

Play it like a gift from the pinball gods.

#6 4 years ago

"Moral dilemma"?? We must have low morals down under. We interpret that as a nudged skill shot from the lower apron!

#7 4 years ago

I know this often keeps me awake at night

#8 4 years ago

I like the OP’s sense of humor.

#9 4 years ago

A Lazurus, eh? Learn sumpin' every day. What a great hobby! So my concern was always personal high score. Now that I know a Lazurus is a legit keep playin' I can sleep at night and keep trying to beat my personal CW best 200,400 with no asterisk.

#10 4 years ago

Ever have one hit the trough so hard it flies through to the shooter lane without registering the switch? I never feel bad about plunging that ball back into play.

#11 4 years ago

Personally I punish myself by letting the next ball drain too.

#12 4 years ago

I love getting lazarus balls on my sky jump. It happens so often and predictably that I suspect it was an actual designed feature.

But if you slide save....well that’s just plain cheating

#13 4 years ago

Wait till you move up to modern Sterns...shit happens all the time

#14 4 years ago

On some early 60s GTBs, (Like Cover Girl or SweetHearts)
    if the ball has the right amount of momentum and goes down the left outlane
    it will deflect off the apron near the outhole and if you time your nudge right
    one can often bounce the ball back into play between the flippers
    and I consider that skill as opposed to a gift.

#15 4 years ago

You're serious?

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from wayner:

"Moral dilemma"?? We must have low morals down under. We interpret that as a nudged skill shot from the lower apron!

if "nudged" back into play it'd be considered a "bang back" and for tournament play would result in a DQ

https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa14/rules/

7. Death Saves, Bangbacks, etc.

Techniques known as “Death Saves” and “Bangbacks” are sometimes employed by certain advanced players. Because the effectiveness of these techniques varies from machine to machine, and because of the risk of injury to either player or machine, these techniques are banned from tournament play. In the event that a drained ball bounces back into play without deliberate player action, such as in the case of a “lazarus”, this is considered the mechanical nature of pinball and the ball may be played. If this situation occurs repeatedly, and there is question as to whether the lazarus ball was naturally occurring or induced by the player, tournament directors may end the game in progress and award a score of zero.

#17 4 years ago

There are a few earlier Gottlieb wedgeheads; "Sweet Hearts", "Flipper Fair", and some others, on which a ball draining quickly through the left outlane can be banged back up between the flippers fairly easily. Unfortunately though, many times it goes straight up, then straight back down between the flippers.
    "Flip A Card" and "Card Trix" are two games which seem to award a lot of "Lazarus" balls.

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from chas10e:

if "nudged" back into play it'd be considered a "bang back" and for tournament play would result in a DQ
    https://www.ifpapinball.com/ifpa14/rules/
    7. Death Saves, Bangbacks, etc.
    Techniques known as “Death Saves” and “Bangbacks” are sometimes employed by certain advanced players. Because the effectiveness of these techniques varies from machine to machine, and because of the risk of injury to either player or machine, these techniques are banned from tournament play. In the event that a drained ball bounces back into play without deliberate player action, such as in the case of a “lazarus”, this is considered the mechanical nature of pinball and the ball may be played. If this situation occurs repeatedly, and there is question as to whether the lazarus ball was naturally occurring or induced by the player, tournament directors may end the game in progress and award a score of zero.

Phew! Fortunately no Tournament Directors at my place.Just not into that level of rule application or seeking to become world pinball champion. I will just stick to simple concepts of the hobby.

1 week later
    #19 4 years ago

Happens a lot on my Royal Flush.....(4-player Card Whiz).......must be something with the geometry of the playfield. I always continue on..........

#20 4 years ago

Happens on 4 Square sometimes. But half the time I am too slow on the draw to catch it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/curious-about-something?hl=dcrand and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.