(Topic ID: 186266)

Cupped Inserts

By twitami

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

17855195_10212256531759514_7403331359725649347_o (resized).jpg
    IMG_7892 (resized).JPG
    #1 7 years ago

I need some advice. I have been buying up a lot of cocktail pinballs (I know, but I love them). Anyway, all the Allied Leisure machines (and I have 9 or so now) have cupped inserts. Cupped enough that the ball will stop in them sometimes...lol. I bought most of these cheap, so I don't want to spend much on them ideally, but I would like them playable. Any ideas out there that are pretty easy, and pretty inexpensive?

Thanks!

#2 7 years ago

Yes, go to home Depot and get some minwax polycrylic. Use a small artists paint brush and fill it in, avoiding any air bubbles. Wait a day and then Sand with 400, then 600, then 1200 grit paper, taping off area around the insert. Very easy process. You may need a second coat, if you do, only sand with 220, then apply the second coat and then sand with the finer grits.

#3 7 years ago

And if you're not comfortable taping off around the insert as Rob suggested, or would be worried about damaging your PF if the art is not stable, you can heat up the underside of the insert and pop it out of the PF. Then wrap a piece of paper or plastic around the insert tightly, fill in with the polycrylic and sand as he suggested. Then you can pop it back in, relevel and use light glue if the insert is loose or not seated properly.

#5 7 years ago

Here is an easy and inexpensive way as requested:

http://www.oldpinballs.com/store.html

Item Code: PFRD (about 3/4 down on the page).

These are thin clear vinyl disces of different diameters you can build up to minimize the cupping. It does work to stop the ball from getting stuck. You will see a slight ghost outline of each layer but that actually looks cool!

This is also undo-able if the next owner doesn't want it.

Mike V.

#6 7 years ago

You might want to review this post on UV curing resin. Keep reading and about post 20 it starts talking more about cupped inserts.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fixing-inserts-fogged-peeling-delaminated-with-uv-curing-resin

#7 7 years ago
    Quoted from RacingPin:

These are thin clear vinyl disces of different diameters you can build up to minimize the cupping. It does work to stop the ball from getting stuck. You will see a slight ghost outline of each layer but that actually looks cool!

This is also undo-able if the next owner doesn't want it.

You could also get some mylar and some punches and do a similar technique (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OKS2K1A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00) .

#8 7 years ago

I just drip in some super thin super glue and let it dry. do a few drops at a time and you'll fill it in (make sure playfield is level of course).

Sanding is optional but not necessary in most cases.

#9 7 years ago

Thanks for all the tips guys! I have a lot to do:

IMG_7892 (resized).JPGIMG_7892 (resized).JPG

#10 7 years ago

Get at it- looks fun....

You have a disease!

Enjoy it

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from twitami:

Thanks for all the tips guys! I have a lot to do:

Wow, I am jealous

#12 7 years ago

Here is the others, in a different room

17855195_10212256531759514_7403331359725649347_o (resized).jpg17855195_10212256531759514_7403331359725649347_o (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago

Night Moves Rules! Best Music in Pinball!

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from twitami:

IMG_7892 (resized).JPG

Someone is trying to corner the market on Cocktail Pins!

4 years later

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cupped-inserts and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.