(Topic ID: 280899)

Cuphead Home Brew Pinball

By scottacus

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BA3FC343-C621-46E6-BB2D-101C8F2B783E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2138 (resized).JPG
    20230419_144724 (1) (resized).jpg
    20230418_122437 (1) (resized).jpg
    20230418_122421 (1) (resized).jpg
    20230405_192920 (resized).jpg
    20230405_200834 (resized).jpg
    20230405_192228 (resized).jpg
    20230405_203549 (resized).jpg
    PTScottacus (resized).png
    dd3165485 (resized).png
    20220406_123813 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20211201_120257 (resized).jpg
    20211201_120529 (resized).jpg
    20211201_120336 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#137 3 years ago

I'm digging this sofar.

LMK if you'd like donation of LollyPop Skirts for your build. I'd offer bases and bodies too; but it looks like you are using old style bases from the EM and probably the older style bally bodies which aren't available in translucent colors in high volume.

I don't recognize the drop targets used in the new stern assemblies; but I'm guessing it's the same as the Data East versions. If you wanted to go translucent; again - let me know.

I'm curious how you wired the WS2812's to the pop bumper body with only two wire holes. Did you have to modify it in some way? I thought about doing something similar; and the conclusion I came to is that I might be able to use microcoax in the existing holes... which "in theory" would give up to 4 wires... or 2 power; 2 signal wires. I haven't done a mockup yet; just curious what you did.

I've always wondered why this CupHead video game is so popular. I had no idea it had spawned virtual pinball tables. This homebrew is pretty damn cool so far. Hopefully; we'll see this when it's done at a show or three.

#142 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

Zitt, thanks for the offer! The bumpers are ALI with their plastic base and I'm not sure about the bodies but they look a lot like the ones I've worked with on Williams and Bally EMs.

Yeah; those are defiantly C114 style bodies.
    My lollypop skirts are defiantly compatible as I designed them with the 3D file for the C114 bodies on Shapeways.

Quoted from scottacus:

This is what the modern Stern dt's look like. I'm going to put some super tough vinyl stickers on them for the CUP and MUG.

Looking at the new pictures you shared; I'm 90% sure these are the flat wms style:
    http://pinball-mods.com/url/WMS03-8749

2 weeks later
    #164 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

with a full plunge, the ball will bounce off of the rebound rubber, make it back to the shooter lane gate but will not reach the center of the SOUL lanes. Part of the problem could be that I need a stronger plunger spring but part of the problem may be friction from an unfinished playfield.

Could the rebound rubber not be bouncy enough anymore... IE is it NOS? Would a Titan replacement give much more bounce?

2 weeks later
    #175 3 years ago

Sorry ... a little lost.
    Are you saying that none of your GI is functional? is it an addressable RGB strip or just standard LEDs in standard sockets?

#177 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

All lighting is dead and there are two strands of addressable LEDs involved. One is for the GI lights and the other is for the inserts. Cobra18t thinks that the problem is being caused by the "blue pill" driver boards that sit on the Cobrapin board. He is sending me new ones that should get here in a few days so at that time I can see if that is the cause.

yeah; I was thinking there might be a timing issue if WS2812 LEDs... Or a signal level issue.
    I tend to not use WS2812 because they are temperamental timing bitches. IT works fine if you have fine control like a FPGA; but not so much if you are driving it via Software Bit-Banging.

The biggest project I've actually done is a RazPi APA102 addressable LED strip with +500 LEDs to light my walk way at night. Did it in APA102 because I knew that a Microcontroller will have issues trying to keep the timing right on the more widely available "neopixel" type leds.

3 months later
    #257 2 years ago

Sexy...
    I miss vcarve... then I remember the fiasco I had with the trial version vs paid version.
    One of these days; I'm going to stop playing business owner - and start a new homebrew.
    One of these days...

1 month later
    #318 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

One reason why I want to clear coat the piece before printing is that I want the surface to be perfectly smooth to accept the latex print material.

I had the same expert advice.
    I used 2part clear to level my inserts to the PF on ST:MU... so there is definitely precedence to do it that way.

I also had them print a white layer to block light around the inserts before printing the colors+black keylines. Just make sure you "erase" the white layer in the center of the inserts.
    The white should help "negate" the veneer darkening unless you are leaving a lot of wood showing thru the art.

2 weeks later
    #322 2 years ago

I personally think the crazin Red ads character.
    That said; yeah... I would understand the desire to get this spot on.

#327 2 years ago

What was used for clear coat before the latex print?
    I'm betting there was a chemical issue between the two materials.

#333 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

They said that many printers want to have the machines running 24/7 and aren't interested in small or one-off jobs.

Actually; it's more than that.
    I've been VERY interested in UV printing... for several years for this hobby.
    In addition to be very expensive; UV printer machines must absolutely be run "regularly"... as is every 24 hours.
    The White Inks used (was well as the varnishes) settle in the lines and in the ink tanks.
    Almost every printer has some kind of recirculating pump configuration the keep the ink flowing in the systems to help prevent this settling.
    When the settling occurs; it can and will clog the lines and worse the print heads leading to costly replacement. A print head new cost above 1k usually... and many printers have two heads... so this isn't a trival loss.

Some manufacturers say you need to print at least once a day... and some also suggest removing the ink carts and shaking them. My assumption is the act of uninstalling then shaking them requires a "purge" of the lines when reinstalled; which again leads to wasted ink and lost revenue.

Its my understanding if you don't have large volumes... you have high losses due to maintenance and repair... so that is likely the reason for the resistance you are seeing.

2 weeks later
    #370 2 years ago

I double up on the water slide decals. Two layers to help the. Be more opaque for the inserts

Easier with a led light board

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cuphead-home-brew-pinball?tu=zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.