(Topic ID: 280899)

Cuphead Home Brew Pinball

By scottacus

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BA3FC343-C621-46E6-BB2D-101C8F2B783E (resized).jpeg
    IMG_2138 (resized).JPG
    20230419_144724 (1) (resized).jpg
    20230418_122437 (1) (resized).jpg
    20230418_122421 (1) (resized).jpg
    20230405_192920 (resized).jpg
    20230405_200834 (resized).jpg
    20230405_192228 (resized).jpg
    20230405_203549 (resized).jpg
    PTScottacus (resized).png
    dd3165485 (resized).png
    20220406_123813 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20211201_120257 (resized).jpg
    20211201_120529 (resized).jpg
    20211201_120336 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#93 3 years ago

Nice work!

1 month later
    #123 3 years ago

Why bother with that? You can find Stern 50v transformers relatively cheap(hint: they used them in more than just pinball games). I'm still playing with my own designs, but you could run the whole playfield off of a Whitestar(or SAM) power I/O board and an P-ROC. It should feed every voltage you need except for the TV.
    EDIT: you could also just run it through a couple of bridge rectifiers, some fuses and maybe a couple of buck converters to dial in just the voltages you need, if you wanted to avoid the rest of the power I/O board.

#125 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

Sure but I already have a beefy ALI transformer and my CobraPin board is set up for 35v so I'd like to stay at that voltage.

Fair enough.

#127 3 years ago

You could just run a small 48v switching power supply and an OPP power board just for the flippers. Everything else would be happy with the 36v.

#140 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

Today's job is to figure out a way to get leaf switches behind the DT's.

Did you think about mounting optos instead of a leaf switch?

#143 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

Sorry I haven't worked on a machine newer than RaB, they have optos for rubbers?

Ah, nevermind. It was a brain fart. I thought that you were trying to find a way to shoehorn another switch in there, for some reason. I'll shut up now.

2 months later
    #191 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

it would not even put out enough power to charge the caps on Cobrapin before the safety shut down would kick in

This sounds like the inrush limiter(TH1) isn't working. If it happens on the next power supply as well, it may be a problem with that piece. Do you have another PS to test it? I imagine a 24v or 36v should behave the same if the TH1 is bad.

#194 3 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

The solution is to replace the 1.3 ohm thermistor with a 5 ohm thermistor so that the initial current draw while the caps charge is 48/5 or 9.6A which the power supply should not mind.

Yeah, once you described the problem, that was my first thought. When I was first experimenting with controlling solenoids with an Arduino, I ran into this. I ended up building the OPP power filter board to fix this with a 24v power supply that acted exactly the same way. It looks like Cobrapin incorporated this, which made me suspect that thermistor(also known as an inrush limiter).

2 months later
    #244 2 years ago

Scared Stiff has the crate scoop eject straight into a pop. That's the only game I've reliably seen broken skirts in. Now that I know about this design consideration, I'm seeing examples in all of my machines. Pretty cool.

1 month later
    #292 2 years ago

What's the price you are looking at for the playfield printing?

#295 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

Onevox will have to correct me if I'm wrong but I heard $150 for the two playfields.

Whoa! Is that a friend price, or are they willing to do that for others?

#298 2 years ago
    Quoted from scottacus:

ThatOneDude, I have no idea but the printers know Onevox very well.

Well, I would be very interested if they are doing this for others at a similar price range. I know of three projects, maybe 4, that could use an option to print playfields.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cuphead-home-brew-pinball?tu=ThatOneDude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.