Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by toyotaboy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

cupholder1.jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Decides to try and print some cup holders for all of my machines.

Bought a 3D printer to play with, been a lot of fun messing with it.

Still working the kinks out, pretty new to 3d printing but I think their going to work, plus have all kind of options for colors.

cupholder1.jpgcupholder1.jpg

#2 8 years ago

They look good. How sturdy are they?

#3 8 years ago

Question with 3D printers: what type of software do use to make something? Can an average Joe (me) use it?

#4 8 years ago

Yet to be determined. They seem to be sturdy in certain areas and not so much in others. Think they will hold up pretty good to downward force but if I squeeze on the cup holder part I'm sure it wold break. That was my first one I'm still tweaking the design a little and playing with the printer settings. Think the newer ones are a little sturdier.

#5 8 years ago

Well, still messing with that. Theirs a free product call AUTODESK 123d that I have been using. A big learning curve, spent a day trying to figure out how to use it. Watched all of their tutorials and still couldn't figure it out. Finally found a youtube video of a guy making an Arch Reactor and finally figured out enough of the program to design them. Never done it before so as long as you have time and want to experiment you should be able to figure it out.

#6 8 years ago

I occasionally use a 3d printer at work. Depending on the type you use, you can think of the plastic like grain in wood. In some directions it will be very strong but very weak in others.

#7 8 years ago

What 3D printer do you have?

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from TomGWI:

Question with 3D printers: what type of software do use to make something? Can an average Joe (me) use it?

I use Sketchup, which is fairly intuitive. The key to efficiency it is to learn keyboard shortcuts, and typing in measurements (use mm). It has the nice feature of adding plugins that allow you to do more in the tool. Check out a few tutorials on youtube.

#9 8 years ago

You can also try https://www.tinkercad.com/ and just download the file as an .stl file.

#10 8 years ago

I got one of the XYZ Da Vinci 2.0 printers off Amazon. One of the cheapest printers I could find. Didn't want to spend a ton of money just for goofing around.

#11 8 years ago

Good luck with this,however,pin gulp cups are made of metal,light weight,all colors,and cheap!!

#12 8 years ago

Yea, I looked at those. Doing more for fun then anything. Got the printer so might as well use it for something useful.

#13 8 years ago

If you could add a design into your cup holder it would really add to it. For example, right now you have a diamond cut into it. If you could turn that into a jet fighter for F-14, or a bat for BSD it would just bring it up to a whole different level. Themed cup holders have not been done, that I'm aware of.

#14 8 years ago

Yea I thought about that but I can't draw worth a crap. You also have to consider what the printer can print. If the angle goes over 45 degrees with empty space underneath then it has issues. But I'm sure it could be done. The hole is mostly to save plastic.

#15 8 years ago

Really? Since when? Maybe if you paint them yourself they are..

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Themed cup holders have not been done, that I'm aware of.

Trilogybeer is doing custom art on pin gulps, looks pretty awesome.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/trilogy-pin-gulps
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/for-sale-original-artwork-by-trilogybeer-on-a-pingulp

anyways, cool project! I need to get some cup holders on my games. 3D printer is pretty cool, at some point when you get more experience you could definitely make mods for pins with it. Goodtobedad's Jurassic Park gate mod is awesome and he did it with a 3d printer.

#17 8 years ago

Yea, but I have no imagination at all. Friend of mine got the lit winki mod for my WOZ. After I got it and saw what it was, I said I could have done that. Ask me to write a program on the I series, no problem but when it comes to create stuff I just don't have it.

#18 8 years ago

Frax,i have three different colored cups on all four of my pins!!! My rbion,has blue cups,my ST/LE has nice red ones ,my Diner has one red,one green,and my Galaxy has two black cups,AND i didn't color them myself!!!

#19 8 years ago

I think you've missed the point entirely... Red, Green, and blue might be the primary colors in visible light, but they're not ALL COLORS. Nor do I want cheap plasti-chrome stuff on my games any more than what comes on there from the factory (Yes, I'm looking at you, Stern spotlights...blecch.).

It'll just be easier for me to take a pic later.

2 weeks later
    #20 8 years ago

I have the same XYZ printer. Wondering if you would be willing to share your .stl file for the cup holder? Looks like you did a very nice job.

1 week later
    #21 8 years ago

Sure, pm me your email address and I'll email it to you.

#22 8 years ago

How long does the printer take to make the cup holder?

#23 8 years ago

Depending on the settings I have had it take anywhere from 5 hours up to 12 hours. I think the last ones I printed took somewhere around 9 hours to print.

#24 8 years ago

most expensive cup holder ever... but I get it.. you have a cool toy and you want to use it. I want one bad (have one at work that's for work stuff), but having to send files to shapeways to get a decent price and waiting 2 weeks sorta sucks. I've yet to see the perfect user-friendly 3d printer at a good price.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cup-holder and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.