4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 196 posts
  • 80 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 days ago by statictrance
  • Topic is favorited by 76 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 60 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20190129_182053 (resized).jpg
    20190123_234308 (resized).jpg
    20190121_162536 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180718_170134244_HDR (resized).jpg
    IMG_20180717_125921775 (resized).jpg
    20171219_072613 (resized).jpg
    20171218_205455 (resized).jpg
    IMG_7121 (resized).JPG
    2017-03-03 17.18.16 (resized).jpg
    TOM_170128 - 2 (resized).png
    IMG_9673 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8305 (resized).JPG
    2016_TOM_160115b - 3 (resized).png
    2016_TOM_160115a - 7 (resized).png
    2016_TOM_160115a - 5 (resized).png
    2016_TOM_161212a - 2 (resized).png

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Post #6 Example of some legs cleaned with evaporust Posted by Cheddar (4 years ago)

Post #8 Side by side example photo of evaporust cleaning Posted by futurepinhead (4 years ago)

Post #22 Links to US vendors who sell evaporust Posted by KenLayton (4 years ago)

Post #24 Suggestions on step wise process for evaporust Posted by ForceFlow (4 years ago)

Post #78 Review of 'Metal Rescue' alternative Posted by PhilGreg (2 years ago)

Post #98 Another set of leg comparison photos Posted by jeffc (2 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sohchx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 3 years ago

I get my Evaporust at $9.99 a gallon and $3.99 for 32oz's. Great stuff!!!

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Where?!?
    The cheapest I've seen it is $23 at advanced auto.

Ollie's

#48 3 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

Where can it be bought that cheap? Lowest I've seen was $22.99 for a gallon at O'Reilly's Auto Parts stores.

Ollies

2 months later
    #83 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rando:

I've used Evaporust in the past for legs and feet, very happy.
    Saw this on Facebook the other day, blew my mind. Any able to attempt laser rust removal for pinball to date?
    » YouTube video

My boss got a quote for one of these $200k-400k lol

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from Crispin:

Will be joining the cult shortly;https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/superstorm-sandy-fathom-lucky-or-stupid#post-3035861

Oh I'll definitely be watching this resto!!! This will really put Evaporust to the test. Did you really pay $1,000 for it??

8 months later
    #118 2 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Thanks. Speed isn't that important for me and if 3" saves you a half gallon or so, that's good for me.
    I'm a little confused about straining too. You say you just add more as you need it. How often do you replace/strain it? Do you ever dispose of the remnants? Is it safe to go down the drain?

Honestly you really don't have to strain evap at all. The sediment settles at the bottom of whatever container you use. So all you have to do is slowly pour the top half that's clean into a second container until you get right down to the sediment, then rinse the sediment out and pour the clean evap right back in. Evap is 100% environmentally safe and biodegradable so you can pour it down the drain, into the yard, wherever. It is completely water soluble.

3 months later
    #154 1 year ago
    Quoted from sethbenjamin:

So, I've got a major project game that needs tons of love. It was stored in a damp environment, so the cabinet was a total loss, and there's rust on a fair number of parts.
    The wiring matrices have been removed, and the lamp sockets on the GI line are in bad shape. A few segments were separate from the main run, and I decided to use Metal Rescue (which seems to me is the same as Evaporust for all intents and purposes) to see if I could salvage them. Sure enough, the sockets cleaned up perfectly. (didn't have the forethought to take a "before" photo) I hit them with Boeshield to keep them from rusting again and felt pretty sporty.
    So...the next step would be to go ahead and bathe the whole rest of the GI line in the same way. My question for the panel is, some of the bulbs on this line are on lamp boards - would Metal Rescue damage those boards? It would save a ton of work to simply be able to dunk the whole loom of wiring rather than clip off and re-solder all the lamp sockets...

I would dunk the entire loom and afterwards bake it in the oven at the lowest setting.

8 months later
    #165 1 year ago
    Quoted from comment23:

If there is still anyone on the fence about this stuff, don't be. This is one of my top 5 favorite things I use. I've even bought a gallon for my dad (who likes to fix old tools) and mother-in-law (who restores old sewing machines).

THIS!!! I am using some as we speak on a Bally chime unit, lockdown bar assembly, and brackets. Evap is my go to next to Muriatic Acid.

2 weeks later
    #175 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I agree - my problem was a frozen set of levelers which even for a genuine month in evaporust, were not movable. I wasn’t trying to save the levelers, but indeed the legs which are useless if you can’t adjust due to frozen levelers. Interesting all the abuse they get!

Heat from a torch on the threads will work

1 week later
    #181 1 year ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Has anyone used these on the old Williams legs that were gold/brass coloured? I just got an IJ and would prefer to spend the rehab budget fixing the cab. Will the legs clean up or will evaporust kill the gold color too? I guess this goes for the wire forms as well

I used it on a gold set of legs for WCS 94 and they came out just fine. Ended up being a waste of time though because I got the legs plated a week later lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 96.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Lighting - Interactive
    Pin Bright
    $ 59.00
    $ 109.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Electronics
    Third Coast Pinball
    $ 38.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 49.00
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 9.95
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sohchx.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside